tehflapjack

Underground Sections/Areas of Chernarus; Metro System, Caves

Now, I cannot deny the reason this idea came to mind is due to the fact I've been playing through the Metro games again (the Redux versions). Yeah, I really like all the map additions/improvements they're currently making but I was thinking how damn cool would it be if there was a full metro system under Chernarus? It would be not only be a really immersive (if done right) place to go and a great base location, once base building has been added in, but a great way to travel around Chernarus. However, I have some ideas on how to go about making these tunnels and keeping people out of them, as I'd like it to be a risky place to go.

{Location}:

I haven't mapped out where I think the system should be but I can say I think there should be a station in every main city ie. Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, Novodmitrovsk and maybe some of the lesser ones, the likes of Svetlojartsk. I also think there should be some hidden entrances around the map, maybe where some ground has caved into the tunnels, that'd be really cool.

{Layout}:

Hypothetically, if this was to be considered by the developers one thing I have to say is: Take your time! Please! If this was to added in and laid out well it would be incredible, this would very much be a near final release addition. So, I think for one it should be an absolute mess. I understand that the on the surface nothing other than an infection broke out so yes, they'll be some noticeable damage to society in general but unlike the Metro games it wasn't nuked so it's not gonna have collapsed buildings everywhere. However, I think this is what the metro system should be like. Destroyed, trains off rails, stations barely held together, flooded sections, holes to the surface which have caused some areas to be over taken by nature etc. I'd also love if there was some of the great exploration which I enjoyed when I first got the game when it released for early access. I still fondly look back on the time I was first venturing into the apartment buildings in Cherno, climbing up the emergency ladder of the no longer functioning lift, clambering over rubble, investigating the abandoned apartments. I still remember that as one of my most enjoyable experiences in DayZ. If the developers could capture that sort of feeling again investigating a destroyed metro system, I would be one happy panda.

{The Danger}:

In the metro would lurk more savage, deformed, mutilated zombies. Nothing too stupid like ones with wings or some crap, just ones less recognizable as previously humans and more vicious. Not only that but they'd be significantly more than on the surface, and due to the claustrophobic environments of the metro it would harder to escape them. Also it would have little to no active lights, pitch black, incredibly cold, hard to navigate, some areas flooded. It would truly be an edgy place to go. I would also really would not like it to have like some exclusive loot, unless it makes sense to only be there, not like some Gauss rifle like on Namalsk.

{Caves}:

Another things I think would be cool is caves, nothing much to really say on this one just make some really visually interesting caves maybe with bats inhabiting them. I'd take some notes from The Forest to be honest, the caves in that are nicely designed, look great and are fun to explore. Maybe replace the mutant cannibals with zombies though... Oh and I think the zombie rules that'd apply to the metro should apply to caves too.

I'd love to hear what other DayZ players would think of this and maybe even the developers if I'm lucky.

EDIT: I've decided with influence from people in the comments, that this idea would not work in Chernarus but would be great on another map more city orientated. Other underground areas like sewers, bunkers (like that of which is being added in) etc. Would still be great however.

Edited by TehAlmightyFlapjack
  • Like 12

I feel confident that this has been suggested many times and is impossible due the current engine.

I feel confident that this has been suggested many times and is impossible due the current engine.

Not really, we made caves in the mod, also Namalsk has object A2 which was an underground bunker.  You would just have to rebuild the map with them in it :).

Example:

Credit to Dr. Bane.

I'm sure it's possible to some extent, but yeah that's one of the reasons I think if it was to be added it would be very late in development when the game should be running on the new engine.

Also, I thought it would have been suggested before but I couldn't find anything on the forums plus I had my own twists on it which I thought would be worth mentioning anyway.

You would just have to rebuild the map with them in it :).

Rebuild the whole map of Chernarus. Which the devs really dont want to do afaik.

90000 beans for you sir, if stuff like this gets implemented dayz would be a much more fun game.

EDIT: I don't think we'd need to wait until final release to get some underground places, read the latest developer post http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212559-twitter-senchi-new-northern-military-base-in-progress-not-tent-base-will-include-some-underground-places/

they're already working on underground military bases up north :D

Edited by Claws4life

90000 beans for you sir, if stuff like this gets implemented dayz would be a much more fun game.

EDIT: I don't think we'd need to wait until final release to get some underground places, read the latest developer post http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212559-twitter-senchi-new-northern-military-base-in-progress-not-tent-base-will-include-some-underground-places/

they're already working on underground military bases up north :D

Oh awesome, that's nice to hear.

Oh awesome, that's nice to hear.

They said that this is not a confirmation of underground systems tho, not like sewers or metro stations. It's basically a hole in the ground that they're gonna build some structures above it to make it look like a cave. In other words, they're not editing the map or completely changing how it looks, they're just building some structures above some deep ground to make it look like a new underground military cave.

Now, I cannot deny the reason this idea came to mind is due to the fact I've been playing through the Metro games again (the Redux versions). Yeah, I really like all the map additions/improvements they're currently making but I was thinking how damn cool would it be if there was a full metro system under Chernarus? It would be not only be a really immersive (if done right) place to go and a great base location, once base building has been added in, but a great way to travel around Chernarus. However, I have some ideas on how to go about making these tunnels and keeping people out of them, as I'd like it to be a risky place to go.

{Location}:

I haven't mapped out where I think the system should be but I can say I think there should be a station in every main city ie. Chernogorsk, Elektrozavodsk, Novodmitrovsk and maybe some of the lesser ones, the likes of Svetlojartsk. I also think there should be some hidden entrances around the map, maybe where some ground has caved into the tunnels, that'd be really cool.

{Layout}:

Hypothetically, if this was to be considered by the developers one thing I have to say is: Take your time! Please! If this was to added in and laid out well it would be incredible, this would very much be a near final release addition. So, I think for one it should be an absolute mess. I understand that the on the surface nothing other than an infection broke out so yes, they'll be some noticeable damage to society in general but unlike the Metro games it wasn't nuked so it's not gonna have collapsed buildings everywhere. However, I think this is what the metro system should be like. Destroyed, trains off rails, stations barely held together, flooded sections, holes to the surface which have caused some areas to be over taken by nature etc. I'd also love if there was some of the great exploration which I enjoyed when I first got the game when it released for early access. I still fondly look back on the time I was first venturing into the apartment buildings in Cherno, climbing up the emergency ladder of the no longer functioning lift, clambering over rubble, investigating the abandoned apartments. I still remember that as one of my most enjoyable experiences in DayZ. If the developers could capture that sort of feeling again investigating a destroyed metro system, I would be one happy panda.

{The Danger}:

In the metro would lurk more savage, deformed, mutilated zombies. Nothing too stupid like ones with wings or some crap, just ones less recognizable as previously humans and more vicious. Not only that but they'd be significantly more than on the surface, and due to the claustrophobic environments of the metro it would harder to escape them. Also it would have little to no active lights, pitch black, incredibly cold, hard to navigate, some areas flooded. It would truly be an edgy place to go. I would also really would not like it to have like some exclusive loot, unless it makes sense to only be there, not like some Gauss rifle like on Namalsk.

{Caves}:

Another things I think would be cool is caves, nothing much to really say on this one just make some really visually interesting caves maybe with bats inhabiting them. I'd take some notes from The Forest to be honest, the caves in that are nicely designed, look great and are fun to explore. Maybe replace the mutant cannibals with zombies though... Oh and I think the zombie rules that'd apply to the metro should apply to caves too.

I'd love to hear what other DayZ players would think of this and maybe even the developers if I'm lucky.

only thing i See Being as an Issue with a Metro is those are Usualy Found on CIties Correct? :/

Chenarus Is Mostly Little Farming towns With the Exclusion of Novo,Cherno,Electro,Berezino  But even those Dont Seem Like would Require one

I Really Like the Idea But to me at Least it Feels Like Chenarus is the Last Place on Earth you Would Find Metro Tunnels with how Under Developed it is

My Area i Live in is Not Very Advanced And We Probably Wont Have Metro's For Many Many Years and Yet our Cities on Scale Dwarf Any City in DayZ Currently

its Towns Sizes even the Capitol Barely Can Be called towns By Size of Footprint

Maybe if they Added a More Urban Consumed Alternate Map it would Be More Viable

But Chenarus Seems Like it would Be far out of Place

the Idea of Caves tho :3 If They are Done accurate for the Region, Awesome

Edited by NokyoOkami

Couldn't it be possible if they where made different maps connected by portals?

Going down a train station or cave would lead to a loading screen and then your character will be respawned in the cave/station.

Problems with this though are if you spawn in there whats stopping a guy from camping there waiting for people who cant shoot back cause there spawning in? Also a little immersion breaking.

Solutions I can see to this are

Getting down to the stations via ladders/ropes/winches/elevators this way the loading screen can take place while you are on said ladders etc. There is still the risk of being shot when you get to the bottom, but that seems like a realistic risk anyway.

Sewers/stations/underground being a very bad place to sit around. Be it cold, toxic, infectious or just dangerous. Sitting around these places should get you killed, firing a gun in these places should bring a lot of zombies on you because the shot is gonna echo. anyone who tries to sit shooting for long periods of time will likely die. If you are gonna shoot in a place like this you better be ready to shoot some more or run like fuck.

I like the idea of these tunnels being separate networks, a lot of them interconnected. It should be like a maze and you should be able to find different maps, Sewer, rail, etc.Major towns would have their own sewer maps for example. You could find rail maps and rail access tunnel maps (what workers would have used).

Discuss!

edit: damn, NokyoOkami, I didn't even consider that :(

Well, sewers and caves are still possible.

Edited by Agentstapler

You would just have to rebuild the map with them in it :).

Couldn't you just insert the underground parts under the map, since there's nothing there anyway? All you would have to rebuild would be the entrance to it, right?

• Like 1

I know lots of former Soviet countries have huge sprawling Metro systems. Stalin was big on them, as such you can find them not just in Russia, but other places like the system under Ukraine.

Not sure if it would fit for Chernarus though. I think the urban areas need to be more developed.

edit: damn, NokyoOkami, I didn't even consider that :(

Sorry :( I Actualy Do Like the Idea Just thinking not Sure of How Accurate it would Be

But am All For More Maps With Different Elements Would Love this element in Some way worked in

Am Still Hoping there are More Maps than Just Chenarus That Each Have their own Dynamic SInce Surviving in Different Environments Each Have their own Challanges

and Places other than East European  FarmLand Would Be really Nice to Switch up the Scenery ^_^

Edited by NokyoOkami

Yeah, I can see where a lot of you are coming from with it not fitting in with the Chernarus map. So maybe, once it has had more cities it'll work better or if not, in the future when there's more maps there could be one that was based in a huge city like Moscow which it would fit into perfectly, that'd be really cool.

Though like some of you are saying, caves and sewers (which is a good idea, I did not think of a sewerage system) would still fit in.

Edited by TehAlmightyFlapjack

Sorry :( I Actualy Do Like the Idea Just thinking not Sure of How Accurate it would Be

But am All For More Maps With Different Elements Would Love this element in Some way worked in

Am Still Hoping there are More Maps than Just Chenarus That Each Have their own Dynamic SInce Surviving in Different Environments Each Have their own Challanges

and Places other than East European  FarmLand Would Be really Nice to Switch up the Scenery ^_^

Yeah I can't wait for new maps and stuff. A WW2 mod in France, Russia or Finland in a dayz setting would be Fantastic!

Yes. I do, myself, enjoy the whole Eastern European  thing, but I'd like to see far more industrialized areas of it. Factories, nuclear plants and cities all over the place.

• Like 1

They said that this is not a confirmation of underground systems tho, not like sewers or metro stations. It's basically a hole in the ground that they're gonna build some structures above it to make it look like a cave. In other words, they're not editing the map or completely changing how it looks, they're just building some structures above some deep ground to make it look like a new underground military cave.

Still nice to hear though, hints that if they liked the idea it wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Rebuild the whole map of Chernarus. Which the devs really dont want to do afaik.

He does not mean rebuild as in construct a whole new map just to add subways.

Also this is an amazing idea. Love it and hope it is added soon.

Edited by Sleeves
  • Like 1

Couldn't you just insert the underground parts under the map, since there's nothing there anyway? All you would have to rebuild would be the entrance to it, right?

There are two ways, caves you can build ontop the map however underground tunnel systems you would need to remake the map @ a different sea level.

There are two ways, caves you can build ontop the map however underground tunnel systems you would need to remake the map @ a different sea level.

I figured that if you made a square steep (sheer) sided hole in the ground  - a terrain feature - you could place a house exactly on top of it, so the house would have a cellar.

Access is either by standard stairs down from the ground floor, or by an opening floor hatch  and a ladder. No need for light in the cellar. Much more fun if there is NO light there. And no need for wall or floor textures in the cellar - just the terrain feature in rock or bare earth.

You only need one or two of these cellar-houses on the map to introduce a new gameplay feature that has great (cool) potential. The house must be located over the 'terrain pit' by hand, with care - but there is no requirement for many of them - as the great problem is to ensure there is no glitch between the house structure walls and the terrain pit, so no players get stuck there.

I appreciate it is time-consuming to construct these things,but even two or three houses on the whole map, with access to a dark cellar space  must be an interesting game option.

For instance -relatively easy to construct would be a cellar of this kind underneath a barn, so that the barn structure extended well out beyond the rim of the "cellar" terrain feature. Would certainly make barns (or factories) into more exciting places.

However it would be very cool to have one or two (only) cellars in normal street houses scattered across the city maps.. Just a couple of them.

Is this feasable? As far as I can tell from (half-baked) experiments, it can be done, but needs time and WORK to get it right. Am I right?

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

I figured that if you made a square steep (sheer) sided hole in the ground  - a terrain feature - you could place a house exactly on top of it, so the house would have a cellar.

Access is either by standard stairs down from the ground floor, or by an opening floor hatch  and a ladder. No need for light in the cellar. Much more fun if there is NO light there. And no need for wall skins in the cellar - just the terrain feature in rock or bare earth.

You only need one or two of these cellar-houses on the map to introduce a new gameplay feature that has great (cool) potential. The hose must be located over the 'terrain pit' by hand, with care - but there is no requirement for many of them - as the great problem is to ensure there is no glitch between the house structure walls and the terrain pit, so no players get stuck there.

I appreciate it is time-consuming to construct these things,but even two or three houses on the whole map, with access to a dark cellar space  must be an interesting game option.

For instance -relatively easy to construct would be a cellar of this kind underneath a barn, so that the barn structure extended well out beyond the rim of the "cellar" terrain feature. Would certainly make barns (or factories) into more exciting places.

However it would be very cool to have one or two (only) cellars in normal street houses scattered across the city maps.. Just a couple of them.

Is this feasable? As far as I can tell from (half-baked) experiments, it can be done, but needs time and WORK to get it right. Am I right?

xx

It rubs the lotion on it's skin.

• Like 2

Access is either by standard stairs down from the ground floor, or by an opening floor hatch  and a ladder. No need for light in the cellar. Much more fun if there is NO light there. And no need for wall skins in the cellar - just the terrain feature in rock or bare earth.

Yesyesyesyesyesyes! I love that, especially the "no light" part! :beans:

• Like 1