Im so confused with these games and what they are. So there is Arma, which created the dayz mod. From that came dayz sa. So what the hell is is dayz Epoch???? Why is it so ahead of dayz??? And the there is Breaking Point. Why is bohemia creating so many of the same games, and yes they are the same, same sounds, same buildings and textures.

• Like 1

Epoch is a bunch of stolen dayz mod code with some added bits like base building and a currency system. 

• Like 2

Epoch is a bunch of stolen dayz mod code with some added bits like base building and a currency system.

Why would bohemia allow something like this, i feel like this cheapens Dayz itself. Here we are arguing about lack of zombies, cars, base building etc, but bohemia releases a very similar game which is in advanced stage. So in a year there will be a Dayz Epoch Standalone released as an alpha??

Why would bohemia allow something like this, i feel like this cheapens Dayz itself. Here we are arguing about lack of zombies, cars, base building etc, but bohemia releases a very similar game which is in advanced stage. So in a year there will be a Dayz Epoch Standalone released as an alpha??

as long as they dont charge for the code its all fair game, you could do it if you want. As long as you dont charge

Edited by Bakermensch
  • Like 1

Why is it so ahead of dayz???

How exactly did you come to this conclusion?

• Like 2

Im so confused with these games and what they are. So there is Arma, which created the dayz mod. From that came dayz sa. So what the hell is is dayz Epoch???? Why is it so ahead of dayz??? And the there is Breaking Point. Why is bohemia creating so many of the same games, and yes they are the same, same sounds, same buildings and textures.

DayZ Epoch and Breaking Point (the old one in Arma 2) are mods of Dayz Mod Vanilla. I don't think peoples who made it (they were not made by Bohemia) stole the codes, I think they asked to take it and DayZ Mod team accepted.

They exist because some players which tried DayZ Mod Vanilla were not satisfied. So they tried to create something more similar to their idea. Other DayZ Mods are not especially bad, they are different of the original DayZ idea.

Epoch is a mod with an economy system and AI missions (with a building system too, but that's another point for making it different to the old Vanilla Mod when you could only build a tent). It will not become a standalone, because Bohemia choose the DayZ Mod Vanilla  to developed it as a standalone. They can't make a DayZ Epoch on Arma 3, because DayZ on arma 3 is forbidden. They can't make Epoch on Arma 3 without zombies, that just would be Wasteland with crafting.

Breaking Point were another mod of DayZ Mod with lot of weapons, new sounds (like Overwatch now) and special zombies (like the Blood Sucker from Namalsk which was take from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.).

Now it's a mod of Arma 3 (they closed the Arma 2 version), which is different to DayZ Mod and DayZ SA.

I think they moved to Arma 3 because the DayZ license is forbidden on it (because it would be a pure copy of DayZ SA that you can accessed with Arma 3), Breaking Point tried to save the zombie survival mod on Arma 3.

These 3 mods are similar to DayZ because they are Zombie Survival mods. But the gameplays are different, because your goals are not the same in these 3 mods. They are not bad, their teams worked a lot on it, to make it good for players which look for mods like these.

Sorry if my English is not perfect ><

Edited by skeim
  • Like 2

DayZ Epoch and Breaking Point (the old one in Arma 2) are mods of Dayz Mod Vanilla. I don't think peoples who made it (they were not made by Bohemia) stole the codes, I think they asked to take it and DayZ Mod team accepted.

They exist because some players which tried DayZ Mod Vanilla were not satisfied. So they tried to create something more similar to their idea. Other DayZ Mods are not especially bad, they are different of the original DayZ idea.

Epoch is a mod with an economy system and AI missions (with a building system too, but that's another point for making it different to the old Vanilla Mod when you could only build a tent). It will not become a standalone, because Bohemia choose the DayZ Mod Vanilla  to developed it as a standalone. They can't make a DayZ Epoch on Arma 3, because DayZ on arma 3 is forbidden. They can't make Epoch on Arma 3 without zombies, that just would be Wasteland with crafting.

Breaking Point were another mod of DayZ Mod with lot of weapons, new sounds (like Overwatch now) and special zombies (like the Blood Sucker from Namalsk which was take from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.).

Now it's a mod of Arma 3 (they closed the Arma 2 version), which is different to DayZ Mod and DayZ SA.

I think they moved to Arma 3 because the DayZ license is forbidden on it (because it would be a pure copy of DayZ SA that you can accessed with Arma 3), Breaking Point tried to save the zombie survival mod on Arma 3.

These 3 mods are similar to DayZ because they are Zombie Survival mods. But the gameplays are different, because your goals are not the same in these 3 mods. They are not bad, their teams worked a lot on it, to make it good for players which look for mods like these.

Sorry if my English is not perfect ><

Your english is very good. Thanks for explaining, but i still feel all these mods cheapen the original.
  • Like 1

Why would bohemia allow something like this, i feel like this cheapens Dayz itself. Here we are arguing about lack of zombies, cars, base building etc,

I would not say bohemia "allowed it" as there was nothing really in place during the peak time of these mods and all the files were open to modification on private servers and communities. As A3 released and SA was around the corner things have changed overtime as nothing was really written in stone with the mod which is why you have not seen an instant jump to A3 from A2 with a majority of the mods except BP which some may or may not agree with they're use of code.  I can't remember completely, I'm sure kichi does but I believe this is the DML which has changed it after SA release.  I won't dabble in all the full set run of politics with some of these mods as a few can stir up some emotions for the older crowd here especially if you mention Origins.

http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/dayz-mod-license-share-alike

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 3

How exactly did you come to this conclusion?

I wasnt going to answer this until i tried it for myself, but yes it is ahead in content. It has actually changed my view on vehicles and such, i actually want vehicles in SA now

Dayz Epoch is a server plugin for ArmA 2 DayZ. It adds a whole lot of new content, such as to name a few, an economy system with "gold currency", safezones with material, food, weapon and vehicle vendors, a mission type system with AI bandits and modular base bullding like in Rust. It is literally DayZ with heaps of added content. Some like it, some don't. Personally I am on the fence. I like both experiences. In Epoch you don't really scramble for survival in the same way you do in DayZ. Epoch is not really about survival, it's more about building bases, and waging war on your neighbors. Vehicles are everywhere as they are fairly cheap to buy, and guns can be found minutes after spawning. Epoch is what the vast majority of DayZ players play these days.

About DayZ Standalone, and DayZ Epoch. Rocket has said that he hopes the Epoch team will switch over to Standalone when it is further in development. Modding of Standalone will be possible. He also said that the reason why "the keys to Standalone" has not been handed over to the community yet, is obviously the game isn't even near being done, and they are planning on redoing fundemental parts of the engine, which would mean the modders would have to start all over.

Edited by anderswhk

Agree its not as polished as SA, but its definetly fun, its not a true survival game and zombies are still glitchy. But they do stop you from freely looting areas.

I was a bit confused about Epoch until now as well. Scavenger explained it nicely. Its disappointing, for me, that almost every server runs Epoch now. I really just wanted to play the Vanilla game.

• Like 1

I was a bit confused about Epoch until now as well. Scavenger explained it nicely. Its disappointing, for me, that almost every server runs Epoch now. I really just wanted to play the Vanilla game.

There are a few vanilla servers left running.  The most populated US one is US434: https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/198.27.83.122:2342/

By the way, "Scavenger" is just the rank you get with your post count. The username is in grey above the avatar and the rank.

The explanation by anderswhk is good, but the problem with Epoch (problem both in the mod and the understanding of it) is, that you don't change

the game's difficulty level just by going from vanilla to Epoch.

BUT: most servers that run Epoch want to make it easy, to there's a lot of loot, easy nutrition, easy zombies. There are difficult Epoch servers, but not many.

Most Epoch servers are getting very close to Overpoch, which is militarized Epoch without survival.