Airborne13F

Chopping wood/kindling...

Anyone else having difficulty actually getting wood/kindling after chopping down a tree?  I have chopped down several trees and there's no wood, when before every time I would chop down a tree I would get wood.  And yes I made sure to clear enough space in my backpack/clothing.

P.S. - Please spare me the innuendo that popped into your head 10 seconds ago.

• Like 1

I find you have to clear at least one 2x2 section in your inventory and stand near the tree you were chopping for a few seconds after it goes down; I've noticed lag in the transmission from the nether to my inventory from time to time.

Edited by Grimey Rick

Just to make sure, as my friend was doing the same thing and was getting no wood, are you sure you are using the mouse scroll wheel or F key to chop the tree?  My buddy was just hacking at trees like they were zombies and expecting wood to appear.

If you're doing it correctly, I dunno how to help.  Not had a problem with every tree I have chopped down,  Firewood/kindling is in the vicinity window at the base of the tree if your inventory is full.

• Like 2

Just to make sure, as my friend was doing the same thing and was getting no wood, are you sure you are using the mouse scroll wheel or F key to chop the tree?  My buddy was just hacking at trees like they were zombies and expecting wood to appear.

If you're doing it correctly, I dunno how to help.  Not had a problem with every tree I have chopped down,  Firewood/kindling is in the vicinity window at the base of the tree if your inventory is full.

Thank you.  I was just left-clicking the mouse.  I hit F and poof, kindling/firewood.  

I don't know how I forgot that....

• Like 2

Thank you.  I was just left-clicking the mouse.  I hit F and poof, kindling/firewood.  

I don't know how I forgot that....

i usually attack a tree a couple of times before i remember i need to use the context action..haha

Apparently, the "chop wood" context menu appears when you're near a tree with axe in hand; however, not all trees can be chopped down.  How do you recognize the trees that can give you firewood?

Apparently, the "chop wood" context menu appears when you're near a tree with axe in hand; however, not all trees can be chopped down.  How do you recognize the trees that can give you firewood?

All trees that fall down give wood. Sometimes the wood from the tree doesn't instantly appear in your nearby window, and you will fill your pack with wood that you can hold (2x2) spot. To get kindling just split the wood logs into pieces.

All trees that fall down give wood. Sometimes the wood from the tree doesn't instantly appear in your nearby window, and you will fill your pack with wood that you can hold (2x2) spot. To get kindling just split the wood logs into pieces.

Indeed. The wood will appear even if you have no space in your inventory, it will just lie somewhere near where you chopped down the tree. And so far I haven't encountered a tree that didn't fall, you just have to spam the "Chop firewood" option enough times.

you don't need to chop anything for kindling you just find it on the ground, or if you must, chop a bush down and you will always get it.

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

Assuming you get your firewood (hitting F to chop it down and not meelee whacking it with your ax) have you made a fire before and gotten that working ok? The part that once upon a time tripped me up was the fact that you needed the matches in hand in order to ignite it. Good luck, stay warm...