ColonelBurton

Temperature effects are broken since hotfix

I just started playing again and I've died 3 times today due to hypothermia.  I honestly doubt anyone likes this feature. It's too hard to find a box of matches and an axe quick enough to cure yourself.  It wouldn't be so bad if it took at least 24 hours real time to get hypothermia.

My issue is the temperature is clearly warm enough to allow rain. Hypothermia would not be an issue unless wet at these temperatures. 

My issue is the temperature is clearly warm enough to allow rain. Hypothermia would not be an issue unless wet at these temperatures. 

Unless the developers are testing the temperature system and the players reaction to being cold.

Or its bugged.

Unless the developers are testing the temperature system and the players reaction to being cold.

Or its bugged.

Agreed, its difficult to criticize when one does not know what the final outcome will be.

• Like 1

The only jacket that keeps you from freezing is the big ass one that makes you look like the michelen man. And those are pretty hard to come by. You also cant use a vest with them either.

Agree that this is stupid but for different reasons. 

How do you stay warm in the wilderness?  Layers.

It is patently idiotic that I can not wear a t shirt, a hoodie, and a jacket all at the same time.   When I used to do a bunch of hiking in cold weather I wore all sorts of combinations.  I hiked in "below freezing temps" too, skied in it plenty of times, and I easily defeated it which included strong cold winds by layering.  The outer jacket was important almost more for the wind than anything else, but it was the layering underneath that kept me warm.  The real problem at that point was sweating, so a good wicking layer is important.

A bunch of programmers holed up in San Mateo or Mountain View would never have seen this except for a bad trip to Tahoe they *might* have taken, once.  Average temps on the San Fran peninsula where most of the game programming community live are shorts and t shirt weather most of the year.  So where's their practical experience?  The game screams of a lack of respect of basic and fundamental understanding of the outdoors, and surviving in it even on a base level a kid gets exposed to in cub scouts.

The first thing they need to fix is the lack of layering.  I whole heartedly invite them to go spend a weekend in the Sierras once we are in December, I don't mean the luxury suites of the Embassy Suites in South Lake Tahoe.  They have millions of bucks from this game alone.  Dean Hall, get off your butt and put your people in the **** on the company dime so they "get it."  Fly to Alaska and find some lodge where the weather dips below zero and has a stiff breeze.  Who the hell wouldn't enjoy that?

Edited by Zombie Milkman
  • Like 1

i have only gotten the cold status once

never got hypothermic

don't even give a shit 

A bunch of programmers holed up in San Mateo or Mountain View would never have seen [extreme cold] except for a bad trip to Tahoe they *might* have taken, once.

On the other hand, a bunch of programmers based in the Czech Republic - which is where DayZ is developed - might well have more experience in cold weather conditions than you.

Did I mention that DayZ is developed in the Czech Republic? It's developed in the Czech Republic.

Edited by AshleyP

On the other hand, a bunch of programmers based in the Czech Republic - which is where DayZ is developed - might well have more experience in cold weather conditions than you.

Did I mention that DayZ is developed in the Czech Republic? It's developed in the Czech Republic.

The Czech Republic is literally in the middle of Europe, AKA; landlocked as motherfucker. There is a difference between "Oceanic" (also called Maritime in some instances) and "Continental" climate patterns, with "Oceanic" localities being more moderate and wetter than "Continental" localities, which are drier, and have a greater extreme of temperatures in winter vs summer. 

Chernarus is affected by "Oceanic" weather patterns. The Czech Republic, being super-landlocked, is probably affected by a "Continental" climate.

Just because the devs know about "cold", doesn't mean they know about the the right kind of cold. There is a significant difference between the two. Practically the whole of Chernarus should be under the effects of an Oceanic weather system, and as such, should exhibit moderated temperatures, in both winter and summer, as well as significantly more precipitation year round, than an area of comparable size that is completely landlocked.

Sorry, Natural Science major.

That tells me they know penetrating cold, exceptional Pilsner, and how to skate.  The lack of understanding of how to stay warm in a survival setting though is still there, because if it wasn't, then you wouldn't see some of the issues you see in this game. 

BTW, who is managing the development of the game?  Is Dean Hall from the CR?  Maybe that's the issue.  They may program, but if all they do is code, and he is the one telling them what to code...

Do you know the answer to that?  An entry level programmer is not going to be working on concept.  He will be coding.

Nice to know they have Czechs on the team though.  My last hockey club had Urquell as a sponsor as I drank more of it than water at one time, though most of my crew drank the real Budweiser (Budvar).

Edited by Zombie Milkman

so no use for clothes such as "tracksuit" or "tshirt-shorts" 

Don't wear them on a cold rainy day?  :rolleyes:

So how do you stay warm? The game keeps telling me that i am cooling off, even though I have undamaged clothes on. 

That tells me they know penetrating cold, exceptional Pilsner, and how to skate.  The lack of understanding of how to stay warm in a survival setting though is still there, because if it wasn't, then you wouldn't see some of the issues you see in this game. 

Seriously, how in the name of living Christ are you unaware that DayZ is developed in the Czech Republic? You're banging on about how they're a bunch of pampered California surfer dudes, waffling on about how they can't possibly understand non-Californian weather etc - I can't even comprehend how little you know about the game.

They're called Bohemia Interactive for crissakes. After Bohemia. The game is full of Czech names, European conventions, it's modelled on the actual Czech Republic, the bloody font is named after the place, I mean what part of it is even remotely Californian?

Yes, Dean Hall isn't Czech. He's from New Zealand. Which isn't California either. Are you aware that there are games developers outside California?

Edited by AshleyP

Seriously, how in the name of living Christ are you unaware that DayZ is developed in the Czech Republic? You're banging on about how they're a bunch of pampered California surfer dudes, waffling on about how they can't possibly understand non-Californian weather etc - I can't even comprehend how little you know about the game.

They're called Bohemia Interactive for crissakes. After Bohemia. The game is full of Czech names, European conventions, it's modelled on the actual Czech Republic, the bloody font is named after the place, I mean what part of it is even remotely Californian?

Yes, Dean Hall isn't Czech. He's from New Zealand. Which isn't California either. Are you aware that there are games developers outside California?

Fair enough on where they are from and I should have stayed away from assumptions.  But since the geography, guns, etc., can be developed by literally anyone anywhere in the world the names and places are not an indicator of anything.  As proof of that look no further than the game itself which insists on placing US arms and ammo all over the place.  Look at the scarcity of Czech guns, or the way they down rate the in game version of the CZ 75 which is a pretty exceptional firearm.  That does not scream Czech by any measure, quite the opposite.  Where are the Glocks, the VZs, Scorpions, the CZ rifles in great quantity you would expect in a Czech game? 

Its a bug. If wearing woolcoat, gloves, autumn pants, beanie and boots dont keep you warm on a sunny day before the leaves fall its not realistic. At all. I know. I live just below the arctic circle...