harteman

Goodbye Balota barracks

I thought it was just the military tents that got moved.. Is this on experimental?

Stable was updated earlier today and the barracks are now removed.

Pics:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211123-map-changes-in-049124971-and-124972/page-2#entry2120649

Edited by solodude23

Correct me if I am wrong here but the 101 only spawns in the long barracks correct?  If so then I hope they look into adjusting its spawn points after removing the 3 barracks there.

I predict that the new building, which they just spent 3 months on, will be placed where the barracks used to be.

Correct me if I am wrong here but the 101 only spawns in the long barracks correct?  If so then I hope they look into adjusting its spawn points after removing the 3 barracks there.

There's other long barracks besides the ones at Balota. You don't even have to go that far. 3 at Veresnik, another at NWAF. 

Didn't read the entire topic so someone might have said this already... What are you talking about OP? The barracks are still there, I was in Balota 2 days ago.

Edit: Okay just released it's Wednesday night and didn't check for an update and now I've just read some more of the topic and seen screenshots.

What the fuck lol, Even though I'm a little shocked I get it, I mean how many cities have 3 military bases so close to each other?

Edited by RagedDrew

There's other long barracks besides the ones at Balota. You don't even have to go that far. 3 at Veresnik, another at NWAF. 

I know where they are at, my point was that this removed three of the possible spawn points.  Oh and there are actually two at the NWAF.

People forget how few military structures there were in the mod. Two barracks on the entire map. TWO BARRACKS ON THE ENTIRE MAP. You don't realize how good you've had it. I can't wait for the river of tears in months to come when pistols with mags are a good find :)

• Like 1

What's the big damn deal? The jails and the ATC Tower are still there, so are the hangers, in which I saw an SKS just today. At least this one isn't cold turkey like NEAF was. So the barracks and the tent city are gone. It's a frigging survival game for cripes sakes. Learn to SURVIVE.

• Like 1

Didn't read the entire topic so someone might have said this already... What are you talking about OP? The barracks are still there, I was in Balota 2 days ago.

Edit: Okay just released it's Wednesday night and didn't check for an update and now I've just read some more of the topic and seen screenshots.

What the fuck lol, Even though I'm a little shocked I get it, I mean how many cities have 3 military bases so close to each other?

Honolulu, the island of Oahu is just about 10 times bigger than Cherno and we have crap loads more military than Cherno ever had or will have.

Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam

Ft Shafter, Schofield Barracks and Wheeler Army Airfield

Marine Corps Base Hawaii (Camp Smith and Kaneohe MCAS)

Hawaii Army National Guard at Diamond Head and out at the old Barbers Point Naval Air Sataion

US Army Reserves 100th Battalion, 442nd RCT at Ft Shafter Flats (the only infantry battlaion left in the Army Reserve)

A few more come to mind, such as Norfolk, Virgina, Washington DC, San Diego, CA, Tacoma, Seattle and Everett, Washington to name a few.

Edited by Barnabus

WHY!!??

First they get rid of North East Airfield loot so we have to head down south to get loot, now we can finally spawn down south and we finally can get military loot THEY REMOVE THE BUILDINGS, so now we either have to spend 30 minutes running to northwest which still only has like 4 barracks or find Chopper crash sites for Military loot I mean honestly WHY

Because you wont get handed everything on a silver plattern, thats why. Also, if you dont know any other millgear Locations between cherno-balot-nwaf you are missing around 90% of them....

3 at Veresnik

Nope, thats 4 if you mean the base in the Woods. Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

Nope, thats 4 if you mean the base in the Woods.

SHUSH YOU, people always miss that one off by it self, the one that has no fence or wall across the road from the perimeter fence.

• Like 1

I like how they did it, turning them into ruins instead of simply removing it.

And it's no loss at all in my opinion. We still have 11 barracks buildings on the map. They are roughly just as far away from the most-western spawnpoints as before and Tisy Military Base is already about to be implemented, so there will be an increase in military spawnpoints in the near future.

WHY!!??

First they get rid of North East Airfield loot so we have to head down south to get loot, now we can finally spawn down south and we finally can get military loot THEY REMOVE THE BUILDINGS, so now we either have to spend 30 minutes running to northwest which still only has like 4 barracks or find Chopper crash sites for Military loot I mean honestly WHY

Because this is DayZ, a post apocolyptic SURVIVAL simulator set in a zombie infested world, NOT CodZ, a point and shoot serverhopoing game that allows you to be a douchebag like a child. Hmm, seems like CodZ would settle better with you...

HEY GUYS, ITS ONE O` THEM THERE CAWD KIDDIEZ THAT MOVED ON IN HERE AWHILE BACK!

• Like 1

I mean how many cities have 3 military bases so close to each other?

San Antonio has four major military bases at or near it.

New York City has three national guard depots in or near it and one US Army fort.

Anchorage has a large Air Force base adjacent to it, a large US army Fort, and one Air National Guard airlift squadron,helicopter rescue squadron, and base security police squadron attached to it's international airport.

Less adding and taking stuff away and more attention on bug fixing?

If you guys can't find good loot then you're doing it wrong. If you do not like traveling the map to find things then this game is def not for you. It takes at most 10 minutes to get to the mil. base north of Balota airstrip. You will find your high end gear there. Maybe you will get lucky like I did and the server you're on will be messed up and there will be cloned gear everywhere. Got my AKM and 3 drum mags and emptied about 5 30 round mags for extra ammo like that. Found a crap ton of high cap vests and other cool things. Changed servers and passed the shit out like I was Santa.

But, really. If you think PvP will go away even a little you are delusional. There are always going to be that one person or persons that play to kill. They're too stupid to do anything else. I just pray that when this game goes to Beta, if it even does, a lot of the issues are fixed. Because watching a zombie run through a closed door or a wall is retarded. Getting pummeled to death by a zombie that is outside while you're on the 2nd floor of a building is retarded. Walking up steps and your legs randomly breaking is retarded.

This can be a great and awesome game if they focus on more important things.

• Like 1

New York City has three national guard depots in or near it and one US Army fort.

Anchorage has a large Air Force base adjacent to it, a large US army Fort, and one Air National Guard airlift squadron,helicopter rescue squadron, and base security police squadron attached to it's international airport.

Yes...awesome. Chernarus is like 20 times smaller then San Antonio and New York and has 100  times lower population (yes I am talking out of my head, but you get the point) per square kilometer, let's compare them with each other and wonder why there are no 3 military bases.

There should be only 1 major military base on the island around Pavlovo and some barracks around NWAF with police and military roadblocks starting from Chapaevsk, Nadezdhino, Vyshnoye, Gorka, Gvozdno and Severograd. Spawns should be on the east side of the island and Elektro, but not in Chernogorsk. That way you get the feel of an apocalypse. The infection started and people from the east and major cities like Cherno or Elektro were going towards the military base and airfields for protection and evacuation. The NEAF and Balota airfields were overrun and the military and police responded too late so they set up roadblocks to protect the last airfield and military base.

So basically you would have civilian and police grade weapons on the east and close to spawn points with military loot around the only military base and airfield. Military weapons should be a reward for the risk and time put into traveling from one side of the island to the other. If you really just want to deathmach all day you can do it with shotguns and pistols around Elektor and Cherno all day long.

• Like 1

I'd still like to see a Naval Sub Base someplace.  One that has the heavy duty concrete sub pens crawling with zeds.

On my current character I spawned two days ago about 100 yards north of Cernaya Polana.  Spotted a firehouse, and in ten minutes I had a pristine fire axe, a .357 Magnum with 25 rounds, 20 7.62mmx39mm rounds, a pristine green coat, and a pristine beanie hat.  Moved north to Novodmitrovsk and in 10 minutes I had my choice between an SKS and a Mosin, but took the SKS because I had rounds for it.  Also got pristine jungle boots and gloves.  There's plenty of loot outside of military bases.  Firehouses are my favorite.

On my current character I spawned two days ago about 100 yards north of Cernaya Polana.  Spotted a firehouse, and in ten minutes I had a pristine fire axe, a .357 Magnum with 25 rounds, 20 7.62mmx39mm rounds, a pristine green coat, and a pristine beanie hat.  Moved north to Novodmitrovsk and in 10 minutes I had my choice between an SKS and a Mosin, but took the SKS because I had rounds for it.  Also got pristine jungle boots and gloves.  There's plenty of loot outside of military bases.  Firehouses are my favorite.

But you can't look like a British SAS commando looting only firehouses, this is why people cry when the devs remove military spawn locations.

The United States isn't a very useful comparison, a few decades of fueling the military-industrial complex and high political pressure to keep bases open for local spending mean that US-level military infrastructure is uniquely extensive.

I went to Balota earlier, it still feels rather "well-endowed" with the ATC and two "jail" buildings which people value pretty highly. I kinda wish it had been smacked with the nerf bat a couple more times actually.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

The United States isn't a very useful comparison, a few decades of fueling the military-industrial complex and high political pressure to keep bases open for local spending mean that US-level military infrastructure is uniquely extensive.

I went to Balota earlier, it still feels rather "well-endowed" with the ATC and two "jail" buildings which people value pretty highly. I kinda wish it had been smacked with the nerf bat a couple more times actually.

Well said.

I have a feeling that Balota isn't done yet. I think in this case, they were just in a hurry to get a lot done in a short amount of time. It's, we'll say, 3/4 nerfed. I bet that the next round of map updates includes more changes to Balota. I'd say once the civilian buildings are ready we'll see Balota and Krasnostav get updated at the same time.

I am a little bummed about where the tent city was moved to.  That was one of my favorite hide sites, off the beaten track, close, but not too close to several military locations and just a nice location.  Now I'll have to switch to one of my other choices, which is getting hard to do.  I had one up north but now there is a village much too close for comfort.  C'est la Vie. I guess.

I am a little bummed about where the tent city was moved to.  That was one of my favorite hide sites, off the beaten track, close, but not too close to several military locations and just a nice location.  Now I'll have to switch to one of my other choices, which is getting hard to do.  I had one up north but now there is a village much too close for comfort.  C'est la Vie. I guess.

There is one location in the far north I think I'll start using. I explored it quite a bit today and found it satisfactorily "wild" (as in wilderness).

I would not be surprised if this isn't/wasn't the case in the former Soviet Union too, especially given who is in charge over there.  Look at the Polyarny Sub base sitting there with all it rotting subs, it's still open.  I am sure them Russkies still have plenty of redundant systems and bases still open for the same reasons.

Lots of bases in the US have been closed in many states, Brunswick NAS, Barbers Point NAS, Ewa MCAS, Loring AFB, Pease AFB, Griffiss AFB, the list goes on and on and on, while some have been expanded in others, Canon AFB in New Mexico comes to mind with the relatively recent addition of more Air Force Special Operations units there.

There's a long list of closed facilities.  Remember the furor over Walter Reed some years ago?  It was slated for closure in 2011 by BRAC while still treating patients it became a spotlight because the facility was falling apart.  Even though it was slated for closure, some folks still thought the Army should spend money on it until the day it closed.  That was just throwing the baby out with the bath water. But it was political fodder for the lefties to bash Bush with even though the closure had been approved by congress, Bush had not a damn thing to do with it.  I wonder if Putin has to put up that kind of crap.

Edited by Barnabus