roguetrooper

Same stupid "running with pistol" animation as in A3

The first thing that I absolutely didn't like about Arma 3 was the stupid animation while running (max speed) with a pistol in your hands. In Arma 2 the character held the pistol in one hand only when he started to sprint. As it should be.

In A3 and DayZ the character keeps both hands on the pistol. Try to run at max speed with both hands in front of you holding something (IN REALITY). That's so rediculous.

When you move slowly (i.e. don't run fast), it's ok to have the handgun being held with two hand. Running with a pistol should have the same animation as running without anything in your hands (just with the pistol attached to one hand).

I believe that's being worked on, I'll ask the next time I bump into the guy who does that.

• Like 2

Just put it away if you want to run faster?

Maybe they don't want you being O.L. Carl Pistorius, albeit with two working legs and hopefully a living girlfriend.

Tbh that does not bother me much. But yea, if you run with pistol you would naturaly hold it in just 1 hand.

Just put it away if you want to run faster?

It's not about the speed, it's about the ANIMATION.

One advantage of wielding a handgun (instead of a rifle) should be to be able to hold it in your hands and running at full speed as if you were holding nothing. At a certain speed, the character should put back the other hand to the pistol again.

This also counts for some other items, like the compass. That one makes even less sense to hold with both hands when sprinting.

I like how red orchestra handles sprinting with a primary, look at the guy on the right with the mp40.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/6173060216_31e8d83cf6.jpg

The pistol sprint ofc I agree with

I agree. This sort of used to be the case in DayZ actually, although not with sprinting.

They took it out, not sure why or whether it's coming back ever.

tumblr_mqxpuoeFrJ1rd90z0o8_1280.png

• Like 1

Yeah i really hope they bring that back. Not only could it help with sprinting faster, but also help with looking less hostile.

I am sure something like that is coming.

I would imagine the animations will get redone also to make the characters not move and look so military trained.

I am sure something like that is coming.

I would imagine the animations will get redone also to make the characters not move and look so military trained.

Seeing as the animations used to be far more "civilian" when the game released, and have been purposefully changed to not make our avatars look like bumbling idiots, I doubt that's going to happen.

Seeing as the animations used to be far more "civilian" when the game released, and have been purposefully changed to not make our avatars look like bumbling idiots, I doubt that's going to happen.

Not sure that was a good thing though.

Also I hope we will see rather soon, the introduction of wounded animations.

No longer should be player able to casualy sprint away after being hit with certain calibers (open to debate which exactly), but instead slow down, hold his side as shown in 1 of old devblogs and such.

And ofc limping for players with injured legs after splint was applied.

I thought those animations you are referring to were attributed to hurt and injured states that happen to not be in game yet.

BowedBrilliantGossamerwingedbutterfly.gi

• Like 1

Not sure that was a good thing though.

Also I hope we will see rather soon, the introduction of wounded animations.

No longer should be player able to casualy sprint away after being hit with certain calibers (open to debate which exactly), but instead slow down, hold his side as shown in 1 of old devblogs and such.

And ofc limping for players with injured legs after splint was applied.

I thought those animations you are referring to were attributed to hurt and injured states that happen to not be in game yet.

Artificially making things look "civilian" is just as bad as artificially making things look "military."

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put your elbow down and lean into a firearm (which the current character animation doesn't even do).

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to square your stance (which the current character animation doesn't even do).

The current pistol grip animation is straight out of Lethal Weapon.

The current run/walk animation has the character sacking the weapon like it's a baby.

The current animations are fine, they're not "Ermergerd, what's this gun in my hand for?" and they're not high-speed-low-drag.

So, for one, even the current animations aren't "military." And two, they used to be either simpler or more "civilian." They've changed a lot since release. To say nothing of the argument that if anything, our "survivors" are at the very least competent in one thing... survival. An aspect of which, in this case, is a decent manual of arms.

Edited by Katana67

Then don't make the animations look artificially civilian then.

There are tons of walking animations that don't look ripped out of a military shooter.

There are dozens of ways to hold a pistol, rifle and any weapon in the game that do not look military trained.

I am not saying the current animations are overly military in style but they do give off a hint of a military trained character something that should not the case.

I don't think we need to run any faster, there's too much sprinting as it is.  You should have to put your gun away if you wanna catch up to some one with out one, for gameplay purposes.

I do agree some of the animations are lame though.  I don't mind the pistol one personally, but the raised rifle run is really dumb.

Oh and ArmA3 has way worse animations in general =P

Edited by Bororm

I am not saying the current animations are overly military in style but they do give off a hint of a military trained character something that should not the case.

Both military folks and civilians can shoot proficiently, there's nothing about shooting stances in general (especially in DayZ) that suggest that our empty-vessel avatars were trained by any military.

They display a modest understanding of how to carry a firearm. They're not DEVGRU operators kicking down doors and clearing rooms. They're not 90 lb females from LA trying to shoot a Desert Eagle in a bikini. They just look like regular folks who aren't pros, but are familiar with how to operate firearms.

And either way, the miltiary teaches folks to shoot proficiently (although, I know many a soldier/airman/sailor/marine who shoots every bit as well as I do, as a humble civilian). Why is this bad?

Both military folks and civilians can shoot proficiently, there's nothing about shooting stances in general (especially in DayZ) that suggest that our empty-vessel avatars were trained by any military.

They display a modest understanding of how to carry a firearm. They're not DEVGRU operators kicking down doors and clearing rooms. They're not 90 lb females from LA trying to shoot a Desert Eagle in a bikini. They just look like regular folks who aren't pros, but are familiar with how to operate firearms.

And either way, the miltiary teaches folks to shoot proficiently (although, I know many a soldier/airman/sailor/marine who shoots every bit as well as I do, as a humble civilian). Why is this bad?

As you correctly mentioned, our avatars are empty vessels, why they should resemble soldier veterans or people with understanding of weapons? You could argue that men are expected to have served some time in the army atleast as conscripts for few years. That would hardly cover women though.

Personaly I'd be happy, if they did weapon animation with some guys from Bohemia, you know coders and other folks who might not be very proficient with weapons, and do mocap with them.

But I can understand that many players might want their avatars show certain weapon proficiency, more so when they've got it themselves in the real life. So I guess it all goes down to personal preference anyway.

Plaxico Burress had the same complaint, and look what happened to him.

Edited by Hefeweizen

As you correctly mentioned, our avatars are empty vessels, why they should resemble soldier veterans or people with understanding of weapons? You could argue that men are expected to have served some time in the army atleast as conscripts for few years. That would hardly cover women though.

Personaly I'd be happy, if they did weapon animation with some guys from Bohemia, you know coders and other folks who might not be very proficient with weapons, and do mocap with them.

But I can understand that many players might want their avatars show certain weapon proficiency, more so when they've got it themselves in the real life. So I guess it all goes down to personal preference anyway.

I would love something like this.

A complete overhaul of the animations would be fantastic and a civilian focused stance system would also be a welcomed addition.

Meaning none of the military stances like urban prone etc.

I agree. And as I've said before, the absence of something (i.e. a military background) doesn't imply the existence of something else (i.e. a civilian background). They have no background, thus any stylistic choice of animation is just that... a matter of preference. Rather than background.

Our avatars have to be portrayed somehow. I'd prefer they just go with a middle ground, I'm fine with what they've got now (although, in reality, I'd prefer they just have our avatars be rendered with full-on proficient animations).

That, and maybe it's just me, I don't really set the bar that high for what constitutes a "military" stance. I learned to lower my elbow, square my stance, and walk with the muzzle down without being in the military. Not sure how the military can make a claim to logical human body positioning.

Edited by Katana67

The only animation I'd really like to see added/changed is that firing from the hip actually become firing from the hip, with some added penalties to recoil/sway.  I think it would be better for gameplay, not only in encouraging you to actually ADS, but also reflecting what other players are doing more accurately.

I see there are more topics in this thread.

1. We are working on the pistol animations right now. Very soon there will be one handed walk, run and sprint at least as long as you stay lowered.

2. Injured player or limping animations were removed because of problematic implementation. We are still designing and considering the injured player.

3. The military vs civil style. We are definitely not planning to go military way. DayZ is civil and always will be. Although some animations might feel a bit as trained soldier. They will always do since you don't want to see your player struggle with every weapon especcially after you have spent hundreds of hours in game. We are trying to stay somewhere in the middle. Civil who knows what each gun does.

• Like 5