doctorwhy

To the dude on experimental drinking in the lone prison just north of NWAF

I agree with this and add I find it hard to believe that burnt meat automatically makes you poisoned.  I've eaten many a burnt burger, sausage, steak and have been totally fine afterwards.

Burnt food tastes like a$$, but it also causes cancer in the long run.

But I also went on a rant when cooking came out in experimental and a friend force-fed me burnt meat which put me on a wild chase to find antibiotics, vitamins, and god knows what else because I wasn't sure what would cure it. That totally made me lose my faith in the developers pretty much for good.

How are there still people complaining about pvp and kos in DayZ?  Do you guys play minecraft and complain you can build stuff?

I'm complaining about it in the context of the Experimental build; which should really be a place to test out the new additions to the game.  If you want to kill people, go to stable.

There's a variety of new weapons added nearly every patch, I'd say shooting/hitting other people with them which is pretty much their primary purpose is considered testing.

Not to mention that gear has properties, so its worthwhile knowing that if you shoot some one in the head with one of the new helmets or the chest with a new jacket how much protection it offers etc.

PVP is part of the game folks, it's highly intertwined with nearly every aspect of the game.  Shooting each other is testing.

What a ridiculous statement.  Don't pretend like a random killing on the exp is for science. 

In your example, what real information is gained if you shoot someone and they don't die?  Where is the analysis?  You aren't both on TS talking about the damage, logging it, sending the results to the devs etc.

If you want to shoot someone on the Exp builds, get your friend on TS, meet up, and perform testing.

The last time I was on Experimental, I was approached by a newspawn who promptly said "suck my dick" and started punching me in the face.  After a brief lecture about the purpose of the experimental servers, I promptly split his skull with my fireman's axe.  Sometimes you simply cannot fix stupid.

• Like 1

Exp, you wouldnt understand bro.

He obviously skimmed the convo AND the title.

Edited by DoctorWhy

1.) You just proved the point that people play on experimental like they do on stable

2.) You're not in any position to demand how people play on any of the servers.

Jus sayin.

1.) You just proved the point that people play on experimental like they do on stable

Jus sayin.

i agree. there is zero official enforcement on this, so why expect otherwise? if they dont want people to KoS, they could/would/should nerf damage values to other players. 

Jus sayin.

1. I proved my point that people that don't understand the purpose of Exp play like they do on stable.  Unfortunately, this includes you.

2. I'm not demanding anything.  I'm simply stating what would make better use of the unique testing environment the Devs give us.  Shoot someone for drinking a soda, in a testing environment, is incredibly counterproductive.

This is coming from someone who was invited to participate in the pre-alpha testing, mind you. Where, you know, we actually tested stuff.

I'm complaining about it in the context of the Experimental build; which should really be a place to test out the new additions to the game.  If you want to kill people, go to stable.

What a ridiculous statement.  Don't pretend like a random killing on the exp is for science. 

In your example, what real information is gained if you shoot someone and they don't die?  Where is the analysis?  You aren't both on TS talking about the damage, logging it, sending the results to the devs etc.

If you want to shoot someone on the Exp builds, get your friend on TS, meet up, and perform testing.

The last time I was on Experimental, I was approached by a newspawn who promptly said "suck my dick" and started punching me in the face.  After a brief lecture about the purpose of the experimental servers, I promptly split his skull with my fireman's axe.  Sometimes you simply cannot fix stupid.

What are you actually testing by running around in peace looting stuff then?  It's the same deal.  Don't pretend you're running around logging every single thing you do.  Personally I'd rather know that the new helmet apparently stops bullets completely before it hits stable, or that the new rifle is bugged and 1 shot killing players, or that there's a bug with the stun baton in pvp or whatever.  You know how people figure out the majority of bugs?  Simply by playing the game.

You're meant to be testing all aspects of the game.  Guess what a big part of the game is?  Killing each other.

Should you not shoot zombies on experimental?  Should you not craft on experimental?  Should you not loot on experimental?  These are all aspects of the game guys.  You can't disconnect one, especially one as important as pvp, if you want valid testing.  You're there to test everything or else they wouldn't include certain things.

Who are you to dictate what should/should not be tested?  Everything should be tested.

1. I proved my point that people that don't understand the purpose of Exp play like they do on stable.  Unfortunately, this includes you.

2. I'm not demanding anything.  I'm simply stating what would make better use of the unique testing environment the Devs give us.  Shoot someone for drinking a soda, in a testing environment, is incredibly counterproductive.

This is coming from someone who was invited to participate in the pre-alpha testing, mind you. Where, you know, we actually tested stuff.

Show me where the devs have ever said that the purpose of exp is not to shoot each other and test in peace.

You know what's also a testing environment? Stable branch.
The only difference between experimental and stable is that stable is a smaller population and gets updated more frequently.  The main purpose is a smaller stress test before releasing each patch to the major population.

In the given example of shooting some one drinking a soda, what if there was a new bug introduced where shooting some one drinking a soda resulted in a weird glitch?  That sort of thing is not unheard of, weird shit gets introduced all the time, are you going to go to your friend and have him test every conceivable animation while you shoot him?  You could but that's a ridiculous amount of effort.  Why not have people play the game normally, they encounter bugs, then they reproduce them.  That's part of stress testing.

This is a case of you and others having the misconception of what experimental is "meant" to be, then complaining when your preconceived rules that no one agreed to are violated.
Edited by Bororm

Wait. You can hear people talk after they die again? I thought they took that out and even when you're unconscious? I haven't tested this to verify but I vaguely remember the devs mentioning this once a while back.

As far as the whole exp versus stable friendliness thing goes, I would agree its a friendlier environment on exp but only for the first day or two because most are willing to give people a chance to mess around with new stuff plus everyone is a fresh spawn. This quickly wears off though as most people have had a chance to find the new stuff and play with it so now we want to try it out on each other. Nature of the beast :). I play both about 70% exp and 30% stable and this has been my experiences so far in terms of player friendliness. I think it ultimately boils down to the type of player you're dealing with and the circumstances you both ran into each other regardless of hive.

Edited by haknslash

DoctorWhy, on 11 Sept 2014 - 6:58 PM, said:

Seriously you got pissed that I blew you away. You're on a high pop in a military compound and you drank like 6 pops while I approached. You left the door open so you couldn't hear me come in. Drink in a safer spot bud.

Another one bites the dust.

P.s I love that doors make noise now.

So you posted a topic to show that you are so pathetic that the best you can do is kill someone who is defenseless?

*snip*

try re-reading what I've said. Once again, I'm not dictating anything.  I'm calling you guys out for being poor at testing.

i agree. there is zero official enforcement on this, so why expect otherwise? if they dont want people to KoS, they could/would/should nerf damage values to other players. 

I'm sure they will rather test PvP with a proper battle, than a couple of jerks punching each other for an apple...Maybe they testing how stupid people is, if that is the case i apologize, great job guys.. you are proving that stupidity truly have not limits.

try re-reading what I've said. Once again, I'm not dictating anything.  I'm calling you guys out for being poor at testing.

But it's not poor testing.  It's probably actually more efficient to just play the game since there's no real tools to do controlled tests.  Revealing bugs through simply playing, then trying to reproduce them.

Why do you think more bugs actually pop up when these patches hit stable than experimental?  It's the sheer number of random events going on that ends up revealing these issues the majority of the time.

I think most people would agree that bugs/glitches/exploits related to pvp are also potentially the most annoying, as they are the ones used in malice.

I wonder what is "not pure" about ground water that comes from pumps. I drink it all the time when I work in my garden and I never, ever even get the slightest bit of stomach trouble.

Drinking from a pond or lake, okay. But there is absolutely nothing about ground water that causes a need for purification.

It depends on where that groundwater comes from.  If it is a glacial deposit aquifer sure, likely no issue, but if the source of the aquifer is Love Canal then DON'T DRINK THE WATER!  lol. 

However, if you head to your local Outdoors Outfitter you can probably get a .5 micron filter to pump all your water through.  To be honest THAT is a better way to purify your water because eating iodine loaded water at varying concentrations is bad for you long term.  The other way to do it is to boil the **** out of it and collect it on a cooling surface (condensing tube) which is distillation.

• Like 1

BTW, regarding this topic, I don't know why anyone has a problem with random gun play.  I may not be a manic KOS player, but I do like the suspense.  Purely friendly servers are boring (Hi Frank, kill any zombies today?  I sure did Tom, lost 5 mags in Balota this morning.  Jiminee crickets I am peeved.  It took me all morning running around upright with bright orange rain slickers on from base to base while playing the bagpipes to load my ultra rare 5mm minigun ammo.  Now I am off to find my human ambulance hat.  I plan on sitting on the top of Novo tower and trying to signal the aliens to land.  I sure hope they are friendly!"

Puke!

Edited by Zombie Milkman

However, if you head to your local Outdoors Outfitter you can probably get a .5 micron filter to pump all your water through.  To be honest THAT is a better way to purify your water because eating iodine loaded water at varying concentrations is bad for you long term.

Yeah but they only do about 10.000 litres of water filtration, which, in DayZ standards, is roughly 10 uses before the item is ruined.