CANUCKinNZ

What if we get rid of Zombies?

Removing the zombies would be like adding firearms to the spawn loadout. It's contrary to the fundamental basis of the game and should never be allowed.

Which, as you know, was how it was in the mod way back when :P .

If you got rid of the zombies, then you would have wasteland mod.

As I've said several times this isn't really accurate. Wasteland isn't a persistent game (as far as I know?) in the same way DayZ is when you log out you lose your character. More than that the survival elements are far less fleshed out.

If you got rid of the infected you would have a very similar experience to what you have now only (as it stands currently) there would be less clunky and frustrating deaths.

I quite enjoy the Zeds and really look forward to their improvement but as Dean Hall himself said (I think!) DayZ isn't really about the Zeds, it's about the sort of experiences you have with other humans in a harsh persistent environment filled with threats. The infected are, marketing aside, part of the background of the experiences which make DayZ worth playing and nothing more. Persistence, in my opinion, is the mechanic that is fundamental to a DayZlike experience.

Edited by Goose Springsteen

Which, as you know, was how it was in the mod way back when :P .

As I've said several times this isn't really accurate. Wasteland isn't a persistent game (as far as I know?) in the same way DayZ is when you log out you loose your character. More than that the survival elements are far less fleshed out.

If you got rid of the infected you would have a very similar experience to what you have now only (as it stands currently) there would be less clunky and frustrating deaths.

I quite enjoy the Zeds and really look forward to their improvement but as Dean Hall himself said (I think!) DayZ isn't really about the Zeds, it's about the sort of experiences you have with other humans in a harsh persistent environment filled with threats. The infected are, marketing aside, part of the background of the experiences which make DayZ worth playing and nothing more. Persistence, in my opinion, is the mechanic that is fundamental to a DayZlike experience.

Yea your right, but as far as I know the wasteland on Arma 2 has private hives (just like the dayz mod has now) and character data will be saved depending on which version you run. But indeed the survival aspect is less fleshed out and more focused on preparing for combat and war.

Right, it's like DayZ servers which don't spawn many, if any, zombies.

Screw Wasteland, the rotten core of a comparison is already to be found in how some people play the effing mod to which DayZ owes its namesake.

Edited by Katana67

I can't see BI making it an option to remove zombies. Why would they? It's a zombie survival game. It's in the title for crying out loud! They could just as well make it an option to disable survival mechanics. Give the game both and you're basically just playing a clunkly deathmatch.

Yes, zeds are barely more than a nuisance at the moment, but enabling the option to remove them entirely would be like programming a flight simulator, and upon noticing that the landing gear of 50% of the planes doesn't work right, get rid of the landing mechanics alltogether instead of fixing them - Oh come on. Nobody actually wants to land his plane...

Edited by James Hawke
  • Like 1

I agree 100% except that they seem to be more than a nuisance to new spawns, poorly equipped and clueless players. Increase the range, number, and durability of Zeds. These should be actively roaming the cities, towns and forests. And lastly there should be a 50/50 chance that any bleeding wound you get from a zombie gives you a nasty and potentially  deadly infection

Bite Treatment:

1 Disinfect wound

2 Bind wound

3 Take antibiotics

4 Become stuffed with food and water

(repeat steps 1 thru 4 several times)

5) While you are healing you are weak, can't hold a weapon still, hit like a little girl and can't move faster than a jog 

Even the 'toughest' Bandits, PvP and KoS pussies will see things a bit differently and show their yellow streaks once we have the Zombies at full strength and numbers. There shouldn't be anyplace on the map where it is Zed free and they should populate buildings. One should expect zombies to be roaming the lower and upper floors of any building. 

And the name of the game Is DayZ   WTF does the Z stand for.

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

If no Z´s than we Need another threat...like....radioation, anomalities....

*off to Play stalker

Yeah I quite like the idea of removing the zombies as they are shit and annoying.

I would most definitely play on a server that had no zombies and turned loot right down.

Yeah I quite like the idea of removing the zombies as they are shit and annoying.

I would most definitely play on a server that had no zombies and turned loot right down.

yeah that whould be....boring...maybe with 120 People per Server and forced day/night ;)

No I would not, zeds can be used now.  You can use the wild life to distract them and pretty much start a zed stampede by driving cattle or pigs in front of you to clear a small area of a town.  It's actually something I have been experimenting with, it works quite well and is pretty funny to watch. 

After a while the zeds will wander back to where they came from, so you can clear and loot, then get the hell out, while by the time the next guy shows up, if this is timed right he'll be in a holy shit storm of zeds.

edit; I just realized how much that sounds like something the Governor would do.  jeez, and I hated that guy. 

Edited by Barnabus

If no Z´s than we Need another threat...like....radioation, anomalities....

*off to Play stalker

How about Zeds, contaminated areas, radioation caused, anomalities and long pork eating cannibals. How about having to check all canned foods and game meat with a geiger counter or 

Scintilation counter and having to keep track of your rads and finding iodine pills to purge radioactive iodine from the body. 

Zero  ;)

Zero = Zed

Zed =Zombie

Don't say the Zed word   :P

Edited by Xbow

How about Zeds, contaminated areas, radioation caused, anomalities and long pork eating cannibals. How about having to check all canned foods and game meat with a geiger counter or 

Scintilation counter and having to keep track of your rads and finding iodine pills to purge radioactive iodine from the body. 

Zero = Zed

Zed =Zombie

Don't say the Zed word   :P

I'm not sure of the whole origin but day zero I believe is the day our characters start. Also there was another story about patient zero.

Zero = Zed

Zed =Zombie

Ask  Shaun of Shaun Of The Dead :P

Long pig?  LOL, I wonder how many know what that is?  I know what it is because I have a back ground in anthropology. Next thing you know we'll be doing the equivalent of a Kula Exchange.  What the hell, we already got voodoo going on up at Green Mountain and I've heard some say the Hospital in Electro is haunted.  We certainly are creating our own mythologies here in Cherno aren't we. 

Digital Anthropology anyone? There are even courses in Virtual Anthropology offered at universities today, I skipped it when I found out it was all reading and NO gaming, what fun is that?? I did a writing course in Graphic Novels instead because they are the modern fairy tale.

• Like 1

If you remove the zombies you have one of the worst fps games on the market.  I don't even like the game now but I tell myself "Alpha, zombies will be better, they are working on all those bugs, etc."

Point blank, if this game doesn't improve and include zombies... I will not waste my precious time on this planet playing the game because it ain't that good to begin with.

• Like 2

I don't like killing players. I like killing zombies and scavenging to survive.

When the .48 update started, my son and I entered a server and were surprised at all the zombies coming at us.

It was the first time I ever had to reload a gun in the heat of combat!

I think that as zombies become more numerous, we'll see more spontaneous player co-operation. Maybe.

My son thinks we should kill every player on sight because of the threat they pose.

I don't, and never do, despite the risk. While playing solo, I have had plenty of positive interactions, and it's enjoyable.

What I don't enjoy is the constantly spawning aspect that has been happening with z's recently.

I think you should be able to clear an area for a time. There's not much point in killing zombies,

only to have an unending stream spawning right nearby. Makes it impossible to loot in some cases.

I know it's a work in progress, but the really bad glitches at the moment are taking away the fun value.

The 2 that bother me the most are z's hitting you from a distance, and from a lower level of a building.

The current animations are lame as well - when killed, zombies are doing some very odd behaviors.

My favourite is the face-plant followed by zooming by along the road, bum in the air.

• Like 2

Long pig?  LOL, I wonder how many know what that is?  I know what it is because I have a back ground in anthropology. Next thing you know we'll be doing the equivalent of a Kula Exchange.  What the hell, we already got voodoo going on up at Green Mountain and I've heard some say the Hospital in Electro is haunted.  We certainly are creating our own mythologies here in Cherno aren't we. 

Digital Anthropology anyone? There are even courses in Virtual Anthropology offered at universities today, I skipped it when I found out it was all reading and NO gaming, what fun is that?? I did a writing course in Graphic Novels instead because they are the modern fairy tale.

It doesn't take long for people to get a taste for long pork when there is nothing else around. It was popular in Warsaw, Stalingrad and just about any walled city that was put under a long siege as far back as the dark ages and even before that. 

Remember those cannibals in the film The Road? Man, that was creepy because hunting people and storing their 'live' provisions in the basement had become normal for them. The book is always better and the description of that was beyond creepy. All the Devs would have to do is allow the option to skin and quarter a corpse and get a long pig steaks and there would be cannibal cults. But the players that go for the Long pig would have to bear a mark such as a leering sardonic grin after two meals of human flesh.

I love Graphic Novels and for me the darker the better.

I think you'll be requiring some beans :beans:  

If you remove the zombies you have one of the worst fps games on the market.  I don't even like the game now but I tell myself "Alpha, zombies will be better, they are working on all those bugs, etc."

Point blank, if this game doesn't improve and include zombies... I will not waste my precious time on this planet playing the game because it ain't that good to begin with.

I disagree about the game itself because it is too early to tell but I agree 110% that Zombies are an integral part of the game and should be improved and made more formidable.

Have some Beans :beans:  

• Like 1

Even the 'toughest' Bandits, PvP and KoS pussies will see things a bit differently and show their yellow streaks once we have the Zombies at full strength and numbers. 

And the name of the game Is DayZ   WTF does the Z stand for.

No I disagree. They will just quit the game saying, "Wtf is this? A basket weaving game? I'm outta here." Once they can't gear up in 3 and can't KOS with immunity or die from hypo or hyperthermia, Adios.

• Like 2

i like pvp with zombies more, but im more for that pve guy, im often friendly if i feel safe and they respond me 

• Like 1

i like pvp with zombies more, but im more for that pve guy, im often friendly if i feel safe and they respond me 

I like PvP at times especially when I have been attacked or I see an ass trying to shadow or flank me. And depending on how paranoid I am at the moment I will KoS. But I sure would miss the zombies 

No I disagree. They will just quit the game saying, "Wtf is this? A basket weaving game? I'm outta here." Once they can't gear up in 3 and can't KOS with immunity or die from hypo or hyperthermia, Adios.

That attitude on their part will just be a thinly veiled manifestation of their inherent yellow streaks and I say good riddance to that lazy trash. I like the Survival aspects of the game above everything else zombies come second, and player interactions of any kind  last. 

Nah, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

I know what game I bought.

The zombies are annoying.

And they get in the way.

Don't take people's opinions so personally.

Any other questions?

I clearly haven't took this personally hahahahahaha

My point is, Why would you buy a zombie survival game to then say you want them removed...

It just doesn't make sense

Which is why I made the joke :)

I clearly haven't took this personally hahahahahaha

My point is, Why would you buy a zombie survival game to then say you want them removed...

It just doesn't make sense

Which is why I made the joke :)

Hey, I want a banana split but take those nasty bananas out will you. :P

Hey, I want a banana split but take those nasty bananas out will you. :P

Hey, I want a cheeseburger but with no cheese  :rolleyes:

I would play a mod with no zombies. IF there were 100+ players or a much smaller map geared towards pvp.

BUT there are many other games that have much better pvp gunplay and "feel" more fun to play in that manner B)