Sign in to follow this  
Mean Gun Morris

new player, bad situation

How's it going fellow survivors? Firstly wanting to say that with the total of about 6 hours play time, I'm absolutely loving this game and that the helpful people and their tips on this forum have made my dayz experience a whole lot better, so cheers. My story starts over on the NE coast dying twice to super zombies, I then receive a spawn in krasnostav??? I begin my stealth/loot run, managing a very decent supply of goods to keep me alive. Found a compass and map and decided to head west/SW. Made it to an airport and found a .22 which would be better used swinging to kill then shooting the damn thing. Kept heading west and realized I had someone pretty geared up stalking me for about 30mins, took him into the woods and at this point he knew I had seen him so he started firing at me with a high rate of fire weapon, would've loved to known what it was. He hit me a few times and my screen was all grey and just about dead, I managed to bandage. Obviously I had nothing really effective to take him down so I hid, thought about a Rambo run with the axe but come to my senses. He told me that he could see me and to come out with my hands up or he was going to kill, but he was looking in a different direction. Managed to lose him and took off north circled around and lost my bearings( to busy being paranoid I had someone following me). Working out that I had fully lost the other person decided to keep on keeping on. After playing for 6 hours I went to log out near a barn, just before I did I looted and fell off the top and broke my leg. My question to anyone who can help is: how do I fix my broken leg or am I crawling to a hospital? Can I find a magazine for the .22 or is it only a one shotter? And is it worth holding onto or should I swap it with the first available weapon I find? How rare are cows to find? Wanting to make a backpack. Where would be a good area to find some decent clothing? Cheers to anyone who can help me out.

• Like 1

Broken leg fix:

Splint = stick + rags (rags: right click on shirt>tear into rags) (sticks: look at bush, scroll, chop kindling if you have an axe in your hands or if you have no axe look at forest floor, scroll search for kindling)

or morphine

.22 is a POS, yes you can find 30 rd mag for it. I would drop it so people don't think you have a gun at all.

Also use this:

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

Edited by chodeofwar

Legend! Appreciate the help. Why drop the gun? So people don't think I'm a threat or because it's a pos? Thanks for the website but I don't think I'll use it as I feel it will ruin the game for me knowing where everything is. Was after just a couple of pointers. But really cheers for the help.

• Like 1

don't drop your gun like he said it dosnt matter if you have a gun or not in this game people will kill you if you are a fresh spawn or fully geared so might as well have some sort of defense weather its a shit gun or not its a chance.

• Like 1

as said... Sticks + Rags = Splint = right as rain

Keep the gun

Most sharp things open cans of food. don't eat Rice or Milk without a LOT of water handy

Caned food aka beans / peach's / spagettti will add water and food to health

You can RUN a hella long way still without food and water

LUCK!

Cheers for the tips, first thing I found was a can opener :) got a ton of supplies but no decent weapon and HAD a broken leg. I have hunter pants and a hoodie with some child's back pack, need more storage :/ Can anyone point me in the direction of better clothes. I'm around black mountain area I believe.

Army/military is where you tend to find the clothes with the most slots but it depends on the look you are going for also you tend to find weapons and bags in them too, i think you can make a bag out of any hide so boar/cow/moose etc and once you have made the first bag add 2 sticks to it and then you have a nice 20 slot bag :)

I don’t know if you’re still alive or not but what follows will be useful anytime.

1. Don’t trust people (most are either psychos looking for some fun or they’re frighten and desperate people, the last ones are the most dangerous as they’re terrorized at the idea of loosing their gear, they will most probably Kill On Sight you).

2. Avoid gunshots, zombies will be attracted by the noise and even if you kill one others will respawn and tear you apart at some point.

3. If you have to open fire take cover as fast as possible after you did so (forest) and go the hell out of the area (otherwise you’ll face what’s in point 2).

4. Don’t pickup all the crap you find, there’s stuff you should always look for and other that is nearly useless, here are the items you should always carry with you:

- An axe (firefighter is the best but splitting one will do fine) don’t bother with some other kind of melee weapon, they’re ineffective.

- A canteen (look for wells to fill them up to 100% all the time)

- Some kind of backpack (in the beginning take what you find but be aware that colorful backpacks will attract psychos)

- A can opener (people kill for these, you find one you keep it)

- One canned tuna or some other canned food (don’t take 20 with you, just 1, you’ll find food in nearly any house)

- One soda (same as for the canned food, take just 1 with you)

- Rags, though only those in pristine condition will do (real risk of infection and death), find pristine shirt right click on it and tear it into rags

- Compass (going in the places with good loot will take time and you will need to quickly find your way, especially in the woods where all the trees look the same).

See I haven’t mentioned gun as it’s not something that you absolutely need (you will find the gun but not the ammo or the reverse and you’ll end up filling your backpack with all kind of ammo). Yet if you need one, look for:

- Mosin (this is the sniper rifle in DayZ, it’s effective from mid to long range, but you will probably get killed if you try to use it in close combat). If you don’t feel like a sharpshooter then leave it and look for something else.

- Assault rifle (M4 or AK101). These are more suitable as a primary weapon because of the high rate of fire and the bigger magazine that will help you survive close encounters.

- A pistol of some sort (A .357 fill be a great gun for close encounters)

5. At some point you will need to raid some place for food or drink, but be aware that zombies will lurk in the streets of any place that hasn’t been cleaned by other players. Approach towns carefully and avoid isolated houses in the middle of a field, enter the house, double click each item you find to quickly put it in your inventory. DO NOT sort things in a house, anybody can enter the place anytime and kill you if he can. Get as much things as you can and go hide in the forest where you can sort what you found.

6. If you are spotted by a zombie you have two choices: stand and fight or run. If you’re near dense woods prefer the latter. If you feel comfortable, you know there’s no player around (beware not to assume too many things) face and fight, prefer the melee weapon and use it on the zombie head. IF YOU DON’T have rags with you do not engage the fight because you will most probably be injured. There’s a trick when fighting with a zombie, it will move where you stood 1 second ago, so if you want to avoid injuries you only need to turn in circles around the Z and hit its head.

7. Do not carry too much food and drink with you it’s a waste of space, eat and drink as much as you can until you have a bright green “Energized” and “Hydrated” and only store 1 can and 1 drink. This will leave you with more room for more interesting things.

8. Do not hesitate to travel long distances, the coast is a dangerous place, avoid the cities off the coast, go west inland. If you are Energized and Hydrated you will be able to travel long distances. Prefer a long walk through the forest rather than in the open, zombies will spot you from far far away and so will other players.

9. Set yourself goals, a map is paramount if you don’t want to turn in circles. Look for airstrips or military bases, look for military trucks they often have military grade gear.

10. Google for “Dayz Standalone Weapons” to find details about the ammo they use, their effective range, the noise they do when used, the attachments that can be used. This will definitely help you choose what gun you should look for.

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor
  • Like 1

I forgot to answer about the good place to find some clothing: On the map look for “Smirnovo” is right north of “Novodmitrovsk” you will need to look for 3 warehouse, 5 or six military trucks and some small houses surrounded by a gray fence. There’s plenty of military stuff there and most of the time nobody is to be found there as everyone is looking for airstrips and military bases raids.

Cheers guys, those hints and tips are awesome, especially the ones about trucks having loot and Novo. I really appreciate the effort some people go to help new players, it's great to see. And I will be taking everything on board in future. Oh and I still haven't seen any animals to be able to get what I need to make a backpack, damn it

When i joined there were 12/40 players in the server, by the time my story finishes it's full :/

Ok here's how it all went down: I log in with the broken leg, crawled to find sticks and found some, only to realize my rags are ruined from the fall. I crawl for 20-25 minutes to the house on the horizon to find out that I can not crawl up stairs, every curse word under the sun was said. I still have my compass so I crawl for a further 45mins NW to the nearest town only to be attacked by a zombie, he met the axe. Find a shirt, make a splint and stop the bleeding and haul my ass outta there. I decide that I'm going to head towards the NWAF to see if I can get a decent weapon. I go around the back of devils castle and check out the view, beautiful looking game!!! I sneak into the military camp first, then check the hangers, watching my back and the tower in the middle. I see what looks like a helicopter crash and sit in the bushes waiting for the right time to pounce, hoping to find something as the hangers did not have anything of use to me. I find an sks and bolt into the bushes to inspect, it's pristine and I have one box of ammo for it, I'm set. Now this is where i should have packed up my shit and left. Curiosity got the better of me and I head to the tower (air control?) I sneak into the tower unseen and directly before the stairs is a payday mask, duct tape and a green backpack with a ak mag, I suddenly become suspicious as I've not seen a bag with something in it. I slowly approach the top and see a pistol on the shelf, I drop my guard like a kid seeing candy and crouch/run for it, PEW PEW PEW was about 7 shots, you are unconscious!!! I wake up and see my attacker looting my body for about 2secs before he finishes the job. I still dont know where he was hiding but that's what I get for getting greedy I suppose and dropping my guard, in about the 12hrs playtime I have had and the only bad thing I see so far is you can't crawl up stairs. Absolutely loving this game and the forum people that have helped me this far. Time for a fresh start and to learn from my mistakes :-)

• Like 3

Give me a stick and I'll fix that leg right up. 

Seems like you did quite well anyways. You learned how to fix your legs and found a few items before getting KoS:ed. A normal day in dayz. 

I witnessed something also typical yesterday. I came to the NE airfield and see a guy fighting a crawler. He is having problems killing it so I ask him if I should help him, I kill the zombie with my AKM, give him a bandage and go on my way since he isn't speaking. Almost immediately I meet another guy at the ACT but he is friendly so we speak a bit and I go on my way. After a minute or so I hear shooting so I hide and look towards the ATC with my Binos. I then see the friendly guy looting the guy I helped with the zombie, obviously having killed him while a newspawn stands by the side waiting for his turn to loot. After looting they stand and are probably talking and all of a sudden the newspawn attacks the friendly guy with his fists. The friendly guy wins and runs away.

And all this for basically nothing as none of them had anything of value. Two guys dead and one guy probably pretty happy about surviving the situation. I could've shot them all but didn't.

Later I meet another friendly guy at the top of the tower in novo. We talk for a bit and proceed down the tower. When I'm about to step outside I get shot at and run inside. I heal myself while the other guy gets attacked and killed. I spot the assailant and are just going to pop his head open like a watermelon but nothing happens. I get up my axe and chop him. They are both dead. Turns out my ammo got ruined from the first shots I got but the gun is fine. I loot and go on my way.

Later I hear more shooting and sneak closer. Two guys with m4's have murdered another, also carrying an M4. They spot me so I run, hide and eventually log out.

And this is all just from a couple of hours of gameplay. The day before was waaaay more eventful with my character dying four times and lots of fighting for survival.

From what I have seen so far I think a rule of thumb is your going to be killed on sight at any military camp or airstrip regardless because there's so much useful loot. And trust no one!!!!

At the moment as I'm still learning the basics I'm just steering clear of other players, I've helped 2 new spawns with food and what not, but was still very suspicious as one of them kept putting his dukes up, the cheek of some people.

The best/funniest thing I've seen so far is when players panic and mess there controls up, I watched from a bush with my binoculars as 3 players at a military camp were being shot at from a sniper on a hill, none of the players knew each other I don't think as they ended up shooting each other. The sniper picked the last one off, at that point I knew I was not getting into the camp and was time for me to make a stealth get away before I was picked off too :-)

From what I have seen so far I think a rule of thumb is your going to be killed on sight at any military camp or airstrip regardless because there's so much useful loot. And trust no one!!!!

At the moment as I'm still learning the basics I'm just steering clear of other players, I've helped 2 new spawns with food and what not, but was still very suspicious as one of them kept putting his dukes up, the cheek of some people.

The best/funniest thing I've seen so far is when players panic and mess there controls up, I watched from a bush with my binoculars as 3 players at a military camp were being shot at from a sniper on a hill, none of the players knew each other I don't think as they ended up shooting each other. The sniper picked the last one off, at that point I knew I was not getting into the camp and was time for me to make a stealth get away before I was picked off too :-)

I did that once, I was trying to hit F1 for hello and I hit #1 instead which also happens to be my primary. Thankfully I didn't have a bead on me or I would have been killed for sure. We laughed about afterwards.

Regarding guns. IMO the best gun to pick up early on in non-military locations if you find it is the SKS. If you're a good shot, then a Blaze would be my other consideration. Shotguns, carbines, an even the Mosin I'd leave. The Mosin is a great gun once you have a scope for it, so generally I'll carry an SKS until I find a worn/pristine LRS and then I'll track down a Mosin.

As for the .22, this is an under-valued gun, but I don't recommend picking one up until you have one or more 30-rd clips with it. Where it shines is fights under 200m in woods or buildings, and for 3 reasons. #1 it is rapid fire with very little recoil, you can sustainably pepper a target area. #2 it is pretty close to silent which in a "busy" environment means if you get the jump on someone they won't easily be able to pick out where the fire is coming from, and other enemies in the area won't even hear it. The audible range on it is under 50m as opposed to ~400m for Mosin/SKS. #3 people don't take it seriously. With no magazine or a 10rd it's pretty harmless, but with the 30rd it can be lethal in close quarters firing continuously, or in the 100-200m ranges with 4-5 rounds bursts.

It's biggest drawbacks are that it cannot be equipped with a scope, and with it's relatively low damage you're bound to be peppering players so a lot of gear will be getting ruined. (negative if you're after gear) It's ammo can also be a bit hard to come by IMO considering how much you will use.