Sign in to follow this  
DerDuderich

What happened to "rotten" items?

Hey guys!

I haven't played DayZ for the past 2 months due to important RL matters, so I basically missed the patches 0.46 and 0.47.

I returned to Chernarus a couple days ago and even though I'm really pleased with the progress the game has made since, I keep wondering: What happened to "rotten" items?

Back when I was playing DayZ (0.44 and 0.45) you would find literally tons of rotten items, basically 2 in 3 fruit/vegetable items were rotten. Rotten Tomatoes, rotten Kiwi, rotten Banana. I played a lot during the past days and I found a lot of items (including a tent) but not a single rotten item. 

I feel like wandering through a fruit store, there are dozens of fruits (and SO many zucchini?!), but none of them were ever rotten.

I checked the patchnotes, but I couldn't find anything. Are rotten items not spawning atm? Did they get removed or sth? :o

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure they are still there, now I think thought I can't remember seeing any but most of the fruit I find now is pristine so I assume they are doing something to them

• Like 1

They are still around. You might be coming across some pristine rotten food and not realizing it as well to.

• Like 1

They should be spawning, but I see them less often. Since they've added worms those are more fun to force feed people than rotten fruit. :) The loot tables and respawning loot, persistence, etc have sorta changed a lot of the loot dynamics you were used to. But to answer you, they should still spawn.

• Like 2

Loot: Rotten fruit and vegetables removed from loot spawns

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/207620-changelog-stable-048124737/

Maybe they want to implement actual aging to food from Pristine good to pristine rotten? So that would make things like storing food in specific cooling containers more of a reality. Would be cool anyways if that was the case.

Edited by Deathlove

Maybe they want to implement actual aging to food from Pristine good to pristine rotten? So that would make things like storing food in specific cooling containers more of a reality. Would be cool anyways if that was the case.

I think with the persistence that was the plan. We will have to wait and see.

But for now rotten stuff is gone.(No more feeding bambi)

Loot: Rotten fruit and vegetables removed from loot spawns

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/207620-changelog-stable-048124737/

Ah thanks! This explains a lot, I missed that part! :D

I remember the discussion from a couple months ago when people were debating if it would be possible to find non-rotten items such a long time after the outbreak. Even though I think we (still?) can't be sure how much time has actually passed since "normal" life has collapsed, it need to be at least (!) 3-6 months. An actual aging system would be kind of a logical problem, because why would a banana rot in 3 days when it was lying arounf pristine for a couple months? :P

Ah thanks! This explains a lot, I missed that part! :D

I remember the discussion from a couple months ago when people were debating if it would be possible to find non-rotten items such a long time after the outbreak. Even though I think we (still?) can't be sure how much time has actually passed since "normal" life has collapsed, it need to be at least (!) 3-6 months. An actual aging system would be kind of a logical problem, because why would a banana rot in 3 days when it was lying arounf pristine for a couple months? :P

But you have to remember weather can have horrible effects on food. Leave a raw piece of meat out in the hot sun for a day and let me know what happens. XD

Oh wow... they were removed for now!? I swear I'd seen some last night? Maybe that was what I already had in my bag or something... I totally stand corrected.

Oh wow... they were removed for now!? I swear I'd seen some last night? Maybe that was what I already had in my bag or something... I totally stand corrected.

In your bag? Er... why?

Don't worry you can just feed them raw meat instead. :P

• Like 2

Don't worry you can just feed them raw meat instead. :P

or worms. They're probably easier to get hold of, too.

• Like 1

I've not seen a single piece of rotten fruit since the update. Now I can only force feed my hostages disinfectant spray and raw meat :/ 

Also, you may be confusing rotten fruit with ruined fruit.

Edited by generalkayoss

Imo..

All fruit not found on the tree itself should be rotten....

Unless dayz is set the day after the outbreak... Which it's not from what I gather...

I'm pretty sure I found a rotten kiwi last night or the day before or something, so idk.

I'm pretty sure I found a rotten kiwi last night or the day before or something, so idk.

Could of been from someone's bag from previous patch.

I just got a rotten apple from searching an apple tree.

So they got removed from loot spawns but at least for apples there still is a way to get them.