kevinthegreat

Do you prefer fast zombies or slower zombies?

Seeing how the Devs have stated they are in fact still alive, which tons of people seem to forget and similar to the 28 days/weeks infected, they should have the speed of the average human, but more endurance and what not since they are pretty much infected with a super rabies. Would I prefer slow ones, ya the game would handle them better. They have talked about having somewhere around 3 thousand infected per server, some in roaming hordes the rest in cities and towns. This game/engine is sort of too clunky imo to support player interaction with that many sprinters.

Because they're zombies, and they're fictional, and can do whatever they want.

They're infected human beings, not decaying corpses. They have all of the physical faculties of a normal human being. They don't run like Usain Bolt in-game, in perfect form, they just run the best they can.

And I'm not sure how you're getting "they can barely walk," they just shamble around. They're not struggling. They're not tripping over themselves. They're just human beings who are not of sound mind, and are not in full control of the precision of their bodies, due to infection. When they see a stimulus, they run at it.

Not sure what the issue is.

Good talk. I guess I've never seen any movies/shows/games where zombies limp around walking at a pace of .001 mph. Makes perfect sense that they can sprint. Kind of like how babies can run without knowing how to walk. Oh wait.

Either way, it doesn't matter. There's a 50/50 chance of them being fast, or slow, or whatever. And in the end I don't think anything that's being said here will have an impact on it.

Good talk. I guess I've never seen any movies/shows/games where zombies limp around walking at a pace of .001 mph. Makes perfect sense that they can sprint. Kind of like how babies can run without knowing how to walk. Oh wait.

Church scene, 28 Days Later.

/mindblown

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I prefer one's I can kill quickly without having to reveal my presence to everyone within ear shot of my gun as I get impatient with melee :) .  With that being said they have a good mix currently my favorite are the crawlers when they jump at you. Sometimes I run with them behind me trying to time their jumps and stagger step to miss their hit.

I rather like the zombie as they are in terms of type and agility. I think it might be interesting if some of the military zombies still had badly damaged guns they could awkwardly fire at you like in STALKER.

I don't give a shit what you guys want, or think.

zommbi.png

I have been sold this game with the word zombie firmly in mind. Thats 20 pounds I gave to Dayz with the promise of ZOMBIES. Not "infected". Just about everyone who has bought this game has done so with the idea of it being a ZOMBIE game. That is the whole reason the game got big, and why we've seen these tv shows pop up about ZOMBIES.

It doesn't matter what you want in this game, it is being sold with ZOMBIES in the sales pitch. Thats a fact and should be the end of this bullshit. Because everyone of you that thinks these infected are better waste my money and hopes for this game I was sold.

IT'S A FUCKING ZOMBIE GAME.

I don't give a shit what you guys want, or think.

zommbi.png

I have been sold this game with the word zombie firmly in mind. Thats 20 pounds I gave to Dayz with the promise of ZOMBIES. Not "infected". Just about everyone who has bought this game has done so with the idea of it being a ZOMBIE game. That is the whole reason the game got big, and why we've seen these tv shows pop up about ZOMBIES.

It doesn't matter what you want in this game, it is being sold with ZOMBIES in the sales pitch. Thats a fact and should be the end of this bullshit. Because everyone of you that thinks these infected are better waste my money and hopes for this game I was sold.

Where did the devs say the zeds where the dead kind??? nowhere they have always been classified as the infected kind ( which is still classed as a zombie as 28 days is a zombie movie with infected people)

Dont blame anyone but yourself for not researching what your buying or the topic of zombies for that matter.

But hey we are in agreement on 1 thing we dont care what you say either...

Edit much as i would love and prefer a slow undead type zombie i dont think the engine will handle enough of them to trully make the slow zombie a threat as you would need 100 plus in each large city 50 plus in every major town and 30 plus in small towns with wandering hordes of 50 or so to make slow zeds remotely a threat.

Edited by SoulFirez

Zombies are dead people. Infected alive people are not zombies.

This 28 days later crap is not a zombie. 

• Like 1

Zombies are actually people who's deaths have been faked, and then brainwashed into being a slave, more than likely through the use of drugs.

Geroge Romero referred to his 'zombies' as Ghouls during production, and since we think of him as the Father of the Zombie Genre...well there ya go.  Although Ghoul itself usually refers to Arabic legends of 'angry/vengeful spirits' that kill people in the desert.

You wanna argue Semantics, do some research first :P  Zombie's an umbrella term for a variety of things.  Just as the word 'Retard' was an umbrella term for a variety of disabilities and disorders.

I respect your passion for the subject, sir. :D

Though, these definitely seem like infected, sorry. :(

• Like 1

I believe that the term 'Infected' is much scarier than 'Zombie' but that's just my opinion. These days, I think the term can sometimes be considered interchangeable.

Alsot that 28 days later church scene is terrifying the first time you watch it.

These are what used to be the differences:

• Zombies have not much sense of what is going on around them and moan "braiiiins" they shuffle along slowly and are easy to defeat. They are dead and have been dead for a while. These are the stereotypical and 'classic' zombies that we all know. Think  Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the living dead and so on.. They can sometimes be considered supernatural or evil magic. They spread zombieism by biting or scratching. Getting bitten or scratched is certain death.

• Infected are fast and aware of their environment. They can sprint after people. They could be mistaken for a normal human at distance. They are dormant until they see someone who is still alive. In popular culture, think 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, The last of us, and left 4 dead . Because of their hightened senses, they are a much more deadly foe. Getting bitten or scratched only sometimes, means certain death. Sometimes 'Infected' type zombies can spread the virus, but in popular games and movies, the  'heroes' are immune, or whatever. This means that they just punch or scratch to try and kill the player or hero.

This (just in my own opinion) are the differences.

Sometimes they both have similarities for example, in the walking dead, the zombies can be considered infected as well because they share traits from both the above bullet points.

TL:DR; I think the 'Zeds' in DayZ can be considered a hybrid of both popular culture stereotypes.I like that they run and are very dangerous to the player.

Edited by Forrelist
  • Like 1

I don't give a shit what you guys want

Cool! Right back at ya' sport!

And zombie is just a colloquialism for "infected" in this case, they are different interpretations/explanations of the same concept.

Not to mention that the mod had viral zombies (1.7.7 IIRC), viral.

Here's the Wikipedia description...

The mod places the player in the fictional post-Soviet state of Chernarus, where an unknown virus has turned most of the population into infected, violent zombies.

And here's an unused and unfinished intro from the mod files...

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge 86% of the worlds population die Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly

You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Heh whoever played the mod knew well enough that DayZ kind of zombies are infected runners.

And yes, we need more of them. Would also love if they could drag you down or something, although it could be pain due to desync or such. 

It's a technicality, but accurate.

Personally I find that the new age sprinting infected in movies removes a lot of tension and turns the situation into an action/ shoot em up thing. DoTD2004 was the only good example of fast moving 'zombies' I've ever seen (I'm not including 28 Days Later, great movie - not zombies) and to anyone thinking slow moving animated corpses would be too 'easy', I prescribe one full viewing session of the original 1978 Dawn Of The Dead. It has some rather excellent issues covered regarding massive numbers of shambling pusbags.

I feel a load of slow zombies, hordes of them, sprinkled with fast zombies to keep you on your toes would be exciting. That seems manageable and challenging at the same time.

This, of course, could only come once servers can handle it.

Hopefully that's possible.

EDIT: Just read the mod thing, and that actually makes sense. I always wondered why the zombies didn't bite, thus infecting you in a single attack. They're just mindless shells of former humans, not truly dead.

Edited by Yaddie

Zombie. Died, came back to "life".

bike-girl-zombie.jpg

Not a zombie. Usain Bolt with a cold. 

article-2252539-168B3906000005DC-670_634

Dayz right now is far closer to the bottom pic, and thats not right. 

Zombie. Died, came back to "life".

Dayz right now is far closer to the bottom pic, and thats not right. 

Na.

28weekslater.gif

No sir.

zombis-en-el-amanecer-de-los-muertos-200

Negative.

classic-zombie-movies08.jpg

This one's on fire!

28-days-later-running.jpg

Not this!

tumblr_mjtqzylsyl1r1mr1po1_500.gif

Certainly not this! Bonk! Well that must've been hard!

86137-badass-tyreese-killing-zombies-BwZ

Bro, it's closer to this than anything, okay? See, I can use baseless hyperbole too!

mjthriller.jpg?7f3718

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

28 days later zombies are not true zombies.

Romeros zombies are so much better.

Zombies should be deadly and scary only in high numbers and this is impossible with the sonic the hedgehog zombies.

• Like 2

Zombies should be deadly and scary only in high numbers and this is impossible with the sonic the hedgehog zombies.

First fallacy of the day.

Why can't there be crowds of fast zombies?

zombis-en-el-amanecer-de-los-muertos-200

How is a lumbering crowd of rotting corpses, that you can dance casually around as they swipe aimlessly at you like morons, something to be feared? I mean, there's a reason why they chained them up at the end of Shaun of the Dead and put them to work in supermarkets.

It's worth mentioning that George Romero didn't create the concept of the "zombie." Good thing, too, as "true" zombies are reincarnated through magical means. Sounds more "realistic" than a virus though. Magic!

Infected folks. Not rotting bags of non-threatening bones please. Rocket, keep on doing what you're doing.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

My preferences in film aside I just see more potential with slow zombies than I see with ultra fast zombies from a gameplay standpoint.

Slow zombies in large numbers bring instances where the player gets killed by zombies not because of the zombies attributes but because of player stupidity.

If a player gets overwhelmed it is because he stayed in one area too long, drew too much attention to himself or failed to barricade an area adequately.

While you can achieve the same with fast zombies you add to must frustration imo with the fast zombies.

• Like 1

Slow zombies in large numbers bring instances where the player gets killed by zombies not because of the zombies attributes but because of player stupidity.

If a player gets overwhelmed it is because he stayed in one area too long, drew too much attention to himself or failed to barricade an area adequately.

This is pretty much where I see folks go when they argue that slow and numerous zombies are threatening. The "you fuck up, so they kill you" argument. Which is applicable to fast zombies as well.

Stay in one area too long? They rush you.

Make too much noise? They rush you.

Want to smell nice for the lady back at camp? They rush you.

Same concept, without the bumbling campy tropes.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

How is a lumbering crowd of rotting corpses, that you can dance casually around as they swipe aimlessly at you like morons, something to be feared?

Hmmm have you played Killing Floor? You should try it, you'll then understand how things can go so wrong when people think they have it all under control in these situations. The strength of slow zombies is that people underestimate the danger and become complacent before making a mistake and getting swamped. It creates moments of pure panic rather than just adrenalin spikes like in, say,  L4D for instance.

Hmmm have you played Killing Floor? You should try it, you'll then understand how things can go so wrong when people think they have it all under control in these situations. The strength of slow zombies is that people underestimate the danger and become complacent before making a mistake and getting swamped. It creates moments of pure panic rather than just adrenalin spikes like in, say,  L4D for instance.

Right, similar to how the young nubile 17 year-old girl in stereotypical horror movie fashion, goes into the dark and scary hallway right into the axe murderers' axe.

How is a moment of "pure panic" any different from an "adrenaline spike"?

Both fast zombies and slow zombies will kill you if you fuck up, get lazy, make too much noise, linger in one area too long, etc.

Call me crazy, but with the current state of DayZ zombies...I prefer it when they ran through walls. At least when they ran through walls, you could kill them fairly, they wouldn't hit you when they weren't looking at you, and they wouldn't ruin your Assault Vest in one hit after magically taking a swipe after you post-mortem.

(I guess zombies always hurt you post-mortem, though, if you want to be technical about it  :| )

Nothing annoys me in this game right now more than finding some good gear (Which is really easy once you know where to look) and then losing it all slowly but surely after zombies glitch out and hit you from different floors or from seventeen feet away from the separate dimension that is the player/zombie hitbox universe. (Confirmed by Michio Kaku)

Zombies should be Extremely Easy to kill if there's one attacking you from, say, the direct front. But when two or more come after you...that's where they get legitimately dangerous. Zombies are strong only in groups, though the buggy status of crawlers and other zombies make it to where every time I see one chase me, I sigh and pray that it won't glitch my pulchritude packing pantalones into ruin.

Zombies should be a legitimate concern to players. BUT they also have to be fair. DIFFICULT AND DANGEROUS ZOMBIES ARE PREFERRED, BUT THE RULES HAVE TO BE FAIR.

Right, similar to how the young nubile 17 year-old girl in stereotypical horror movie fashion, goes into the dark and scary hallway right into the axe murderers' axe.

How is a moment of "pure panic" any different from an "adrenaline spike"?

Both fast zombies and slow zombies will kill you if you fuck up, get lazy, make too much noise, linger in one area too long, etc.

The point is however, that you are less likely to take chances with the fast type than the slow ones, therefore less likely to get in that situation. That sprint across the car park through the shambling horde, you think you might just make it, right? You wouldn't try that with infected.

What I mean by a moment of pure panic is the instant you believe you have made a fatal mistake. With infected you wouldn't get to that point so easily as fear would override the urge to take chances - you'd always be on the clock around them.

The differences are subtle.