Sign in to follow this  
Borges (DayZ)

The Map.

I've been collecting the map pieces, and I cannot help but think constantly that 8 pieces of the map are just way too much. 

I believe the map should only consist of 4 parts North, South, East, and West, and here's why.

-8 piece of the map simply takes up way too much inventory space. 4 map pieces would be much more balanced.

-8 pieces of the map just make things more complicated then they should be, regarding navigation.

-4 pieces of the map would make finding the map more enjoyable, and less tedious. After around the 4th or 5th part I simply just give up, since all I find after that are the parts I already have.

-Some of the corner map pieces, NE, SW, etc, just show far too little anyways.

*Edited out the marker concept with map alone, except it would be cool only if you had a GPS. This would give more incentive to find and use GPS with map.

If you agree, cool, if not, please post an explanation why 8 map pieces are better than 4. I would really like a mod or dev to take this into consideration.

Edited by Borges
  • Like 1

I like your 4 piece map idea, but I do not like your pinpoint-a-spot-and-set-a-marker-like-in-Arma2 idea. This is unrealistic, you cant set magical waypoints everywhere in real life. Also, would ruin all the fun of trying to navigate using the stars or sun and such.

• Like 1

Once you know the terrain, the map pretty much becomes useless, wasting inventory space. Having the ability to mark it, among other things, would be a nice way to bring it back to relevance.

Edited by Grindstone
  • Like 1

You do know you can combine the maps together into one item right?  NE + SE = E Map, NW+NE=N, ect.  E + W or N + S = a complete map.  I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can zoom in quite as far with say a North or Complete Map as say a NE Map.  As far as I know we won't be able to 'pin' the paper map in DayZ to find range or set waypoints.  This might be possible with GPS but I would doubt they'll have a big arrow with the range on your HUD since the want to minimize 'HUD Clutter', you'd more than likely have be looking at the GPS in game to figure out range and such.

• Like 1

You do know you can combine the maps together into one item right?  NE + SE = E Map, NW+NE=N, ect.  E + W or N + S = a complete map.

This might be possible with GPS but I would doubt they'll have a big arrow with the range on your HUD since the want to minimize 'HUD Clutter', you'd more than likely have be looking at the GPS in game to figure out range and such.

Oh yeah, did not know that. Well I guess that's cool, and just makes the other 4 pieces of the map seem even more pointless..

I believe they removed regular map marking from dayz mod too without a GPS, however it still shows range in-game.

That'd be nice if they implemented the map marking but only shows the range on the GPS, although I doubt this will happen if the reason map marking isn't there at the moment is because of the "rangefinder effect" it gives snipers without needing or actually using  a rangefinder.

Edited by Borges

I like your 4 piece map idea, but I do not like your pinpoint-a-spot-and-set-a-marker-like-in-Arma2 idea. This is unrealistic, you cant set magical waypoints everywhere in real life. Also, would ruin all the fun of trying to navigate using the stars or sun and such.

True, although you can with a GPS.

Map of 4 parts, it is a good idea. Need to add the ability to make notes in it and tagging in the map.

Yay...somebody else.

The map and compass is in desperate need of an upgrade and new content.

*Not being able to combine any piece of the map you find is silly. Let us combine any pieces of the map as we find them and let there be blank squares between sections. You can combine all 8 pieces as 4 lots of 2 but not if they are slightly different order ... Oo da faq!

*Bring back the ability to put the map compass OVER the map when looking at the Map Screen. We can take basic grid bearings this way, you know like in the mod

*More map types, road maps, general maps, town specific tourist maps for high detail of buildings

*GPS models from grid reference only to full topographic display (rare loot)

*Shamless self promotion but here is how to implement proper compass/map navigation. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208428-improving-compassmap-functionality/ Let the player choose to turn the compass housing (if they so desire), not the game.

Anybody who says a map is usless or redundant because they 'know the map' shows they don't understand the value of a map or how to one to a technical degree. If there was ever going to be a game that should support the option for proper orienteering it's DayZ.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2