Bigbadchuck

When to kill?

Maybe some people like voicing their opinions, you know, on a public forum..... oh hey, we're on one now!

Funny how that works, huh?

My roommate plays with me sometimes and we still don't PK.

So the people are of equal value to my thinking whether I "know" them or not.

There is a good reason some of us who enjoy this game, do not enjoy the vast majority of FPS games.

That's because this game has (will have) more potential than those other games.

As far as "dean sorting them out", that's what he's doing with each successive patch; making abject murder less beneficial is going to be a thing in the future.

If you add up all of the most important features needing development and polish and try to imagine what the finished product will play like, you will likely come to the conclusion that the experience we are having now is going to be VASTLY different a year from now.

So many newer players are woefully short sighted and uninformed. <_<

BTW: A big thanks to all of the shooter fans who have poured their money into this survival horror game. You won't be missed when the game becomes less fun for you and you go play Doom/Unreal Tournament/Halo/Wolfenstein ad nauseum.

Once again, great.  My responses have zero to do with this being a shooter game.  We arent hunting people.  We arent looking for others to kill.  My response is 100% survival based.  IF WE ENCOUNTER SOMEONE, then it becomes a numbers game.  If that person has no weapon, he is of no threat, and other then his presence being utilized as a decoy, we dont harm these people.  If you have a weapon, you are a threat.  I dont care what type of game you think it will be, Im talking about the game right now.  Im playing the game as the game is right now, Im not playing it as it will be next year. 

You with a weapon are a threat to my existence at any point.  You are of no help to me.  You provide me nothing but concern for my own avatars life.  You are the survival aspect of this game right now.  There is nothing else in this game, AT ITS CURRENT BUILD, that hinders my survival.  Why do I care for your safety?  I dont.  I care for mine, and my friends.  Thats how Im playing the game.  And because the game mechanics are so slow and clunky, I cant take the chance that you wont change your mind.  Because if you decide to shoot first wiht a gun out, you have the distinct advantage over me. 

Now, while were not actively looking to engage with others and just get in a shooting spaz, we understand that the best parts of this game are the adrenaline rushes you get when you do encounter someone who is questionable.  So we enjoy these parts of the survival, because its the only part of the game that has any challenge.  But you living, so we can talk about nothing but "hey, you are a player who plays dayz, SO AM I".  F that.  I dont want to socialize with you.  I dont want to trade with you.  I dont want to hang out in virtual land giving each other handy J's (American dad reference). 

If the only part of this game that brings any sort of satisfaction is surviving encounters, why exactly am I looking to do away with that?  And why are any of you?  Its like you want everyone to be super friendly, and yet you all know the main pull to this game is the fact that people arent.  If everyone was friendly, this would be the stupidest game ever made.  IT would be second life without the ability to craft penises on everything. 

If you really think this game is going to turn into some utopia where we all till are gardens together and sit around a camp fire telling stories, Ive got bad news for you.  Just like the mod, the games biggest detriment to survival is man, and nothing else. 

Funny how that works, huh?

Right, and again, like I said, you've brought nothing to really add (other than to deflate the whole topic).

Bravo.

*snip*

Now, while were not actively looking to engage with others and just get in a shooting spaz, we understand that the best parts of this game are the adrenaline rushes you get when you do encounter someone who is questionable.  So we enjoy these parts of the survival, because its the only part of the game that has any challenge.  But you living, so we can talk about nothing but "hey, you are a player who plays dayz, SO AM I".  F that.  I dont want to socialize with you.  I dont want to trade with you.  I dont want to hang out in virtual land giving each other handy J's (American dad reference). 

*snip*

Herein lies your lack of, shall we say, "flexibility"?

YES, many players will try to be bandits/killers but to have ANY chance for something else you have to at least try.

You may not enjoy the humanistic survival aspects of the game planned for the future.

Even as limited as the standalone is now I can think of many other things to do when I encounter another player, other than a firefight.

Herein lies your lack of, shall we say, "flexibility"?

YES, many players will try to be bandits/killers but to have ANY chance for something else you have to at least try.

You may not enjoy the humanistic survival aspects of the game planned for the future.

Even as limited as the standalone is now I can think of many other things to do when I encounter another player, other than a firefight.

But can we agree that if you dont have a proper defensive position on someone, you are putting your life on the line for the perceived ideology of achieving something more.  Right now, I would say you have a 70% chance of being killed in an encounter that you are trying to defuse without violence.  And I think I might be underselling it.  We have all had a few stories, but lets be honest.  If we look at the stats of kills on a server (which of course we cant) you would see that people are being killed far more then they find peace. 

So what exactly am I trying to achieve with that 30% chance of survival?  Like I said, sing campfire songs?  If thats the reward for letting you live, Ill be just happier shooting you.  You state about having ANY chance at something else.  What else are you looking for?  Maybe thats what you should enlighten me on.  What exactly do these peaceful encounters net you?  I have no use for trade.  I dont need another friend.  And until some sort of party/faction war starts up, more people are just slowing us down with zero extra benifit to our gameplay.  Not to mention, I still have to consider you a threat playing a long con. 

Now, Ive already mentioned, that this is for the CURRENT state of the game.  If the game adds in variables that truly do test your survival skills outside of human interaction, then great.  That will defiantly be something Ill get into.  But chances are extremely high it wont ever amount to that.  Any ai and environmental variables will be able to be figured out because they are all patterns.  And eventually, it will be repetitive and tedious.  The only thing that will stay dynamic is player interaction. 

*snip*

So what exactly am I trying to achieve with that 30% chance of survival?  Like I said, sing campfire songs?  If thats the reward for letting you live, Ill be just happier shooting you.  You state about having ANY chance at something else.  What else are you looking for?  Maybe thats what you should enlighten me on.  What exactly do these peaceful encounters net you?  I have no use for trade.  I dont need another friend.  And until some sort of party/faction war starts up, more people are just slowing us down with zero extra benifit to our gameplay.  Not to mention, I still have to consider you a threat playing a long con. 

*snip*

Hero

Medic

Immediately those are 2 challenging options that don't include KoS gameplay.

There is a thrill in just trying to confirm friendly, is there not?

When you (and presumably your partner) confirm a players intentions you can then find out what they are looting for. Assisting new players in need was one of my personal favorite ways to interact.

In the mod, I once supplied a young british player with food and weaponry by randomly saving him from zombies that cornered him in a barn.

He said, "That was single greatest thing that ever happened to me in DayZ!", and ran off without trying to kill me.

I've attempted to bring together randoms on one server in the past and successfully had a small group of regulars, all of which made missions together to help the others find something or simply explore and clear a city.

None of the above examples include singing around a campfire.

Dodging zombies, bullets, and running endlessly? Plenty of that.

Yea, but we dont need a medic.  Me and him are just fine.  We have all we need to survive both substance and medically.  So thats not nessacary, therefor, not worth the risk.

Ive given items to a new guy, sure, but Im not going to help him find something, nope.  Great on you man.  But its already a tedious task searching for loot for me and my friend.  Im not spending hours looking for you too.

Dont need more then 2 to properly search anywhere.  In fact, the more you have, the more of a footprint you leave behind you as well as the more people who can be noticed from a far. 

So, I am happy for you that this is the way you like to play.  But in my view, its more risk with little reward. 

Of course, this viewpoint can all change once/if the game ever improves.  But for now, this is by far the safest way to play.  Everyone (who you dont know) is a threat.  Which, numbers wise, is a fact.  For every great guy like you running around helping the helpless, there are 10 others on that server looking to kill me.  Im not taking the chance you are one of them. 

After close to 600 hours in game I have decided that if I get the drop on you, you have about 5 secs to respond to me by voice or text before I put a 7.62 in your cranium.

Wtf are you expecting them to say? "I'm friendly!"

LOL.

No offense, but for 600 hours, you seem fresh off the shore. Ahaha. I've been shot at by heroes in the mod, when I was not a bandit nor did I fire first. What did I learn? Well, I'll leave you to interpret the rest.

P.S. Sorry if my post has caused you to lose faith in humanity. I lost mine a long time ago :) Afterall, until they make PvE an actual threat, like others have said it is "a deathmatch with zombies".

Also for the record, I have never been taken hostage before, because I am not a coward. I am not afraid to die, hehe. See Rule #1: Never get attached to your gear..

Edited by bonesnap