Antialiasing + edge smoothing - what?

I don't get the settings in this game. What in the hell is the difference between these 2 settings? I always thought antialising=edge smoothing. And yet, the values commonly found under general AA settings in other games are a separate option here. Could anyone explain please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_approximate_anti-aliasing

FXAA uses less resources than MSAA and some argue it has comparable if not better image quality.

They are both edge smoothing but some older cards don't support FXAA.

Turning the rendering resolution up past 100% is also a great way to smooth edges but it is very heavy on the GPU.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, but I was more curious about AA being split in two different options in this game. That's what I don't understand. If edge smoothing has the usual AA settings found everywhere else, what does antialiasing do?

They essentially do the same thing. It's just the algorithm behind each one. Depending on which one you use it uses a different algorithm to smooth the edges. They do the same thing, but the approach is different.

• Like 1

The game will still run like a quadruple amputee coated in motor oil. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, but I was more curious about AA being split in two different options in this game. That's what I don't understand. If edge smoothing has the usual AA settings found everywhere else, what does antialiasing do?

The normal (traditional) type of AA found in most (older) games is MSAA which is just called anti aliasing in dayz. There is low (x2), med (x4) and high (x8) very high (x16).

The newer type of AA is called FXAA, in Dayz they have called it 'edge smoothing'.

• Like 1

The game will still run like a quadruple amputee coated in motor oil. 

All you need is 5.0ghz cpu and you will get 40 fps in towns easy.

All you need is 5.0ghz cpu and you will get 40 fps in towns easy.

I have an i7-4770K doing the stock speeds. I bought a Noctua cooler...so I intend to OC it. I'm not a huge tech guy, though, so I have to learn how.

BUT...I know this game is really CPU dependent. If I got that kind of frameage I would be ecstatic. 

The normal (traditional) type of AA found in most (older) games is MSAA which is just called anti aliasing in dayz. There is low (x2), med (x4) and high (x8) very high (x16).

The newer type of AA is called FXAA, in Dayz they have called it 'edge smoothing'.

OMG... That's the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time! I don't even... What were they smoking? It couldn't be any more confusing than this.

edit: Wait, are you sure about that? There are MSAA values under edge smoothing. There must be more to it than this.

Edited by Guest

I have an i7-4770K doing the stock speeds. I bought a Noctua cooler...so I intend to OC it. I'm not a huge tech guy, though, so I have to learn how.

BUT...I know this game is really CPU dependent. If I got that kind of frameage I would be ecstatic. 

Got the same GPU stock speed atm as well. Got R9 290 Tri-X GPU, but still, game runs FAR from good.

In towns my FPS can go down to 23 or so and I run object detail on normal and I have changed drawing distance to 1800m from 3000m.

Oh well, until we have new renderer and other client optimalisations, the game woun't run good.

Good question, Walrus. And good answer, Chodeofwar and others.  :thumbsup:

Edge smoothing options has been bugged since the beginning. At least the very high FXAA isn't working right.

In Arma they are under PPAA which means Post Process Anti-Aliasing. In DayZ FXAA includes also sharpen filter which can make that option look better over the SMAA even though SMAA should be better technique. In Arma 3 you can now add sharpen as you like for both FXAA and SMAA and I would really like to see that also in DayZ just like all the post processing should be separate.

If you want to know more about those techniques read this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rb964/antialiasing_modes_explained/

Got the same GPU stock speed atm as well. Got R9 290 Tri-X GPU, but still, game runs FAR from good.

In towns my FPS can go down to 23 or so and I run object detail on normal and I have changed drawing distance to 1800m from 3000m.

Oh well, until we have new renderer and other client optimalisations, the game woun't run good.

It runs good on lower settings, also you spot the snipers in the bushes more easily since you wont be drawing that much details, grass for example.

I hope the devs will eventually review and refine the options (all, not just the graphic ones) so they make sense. You'd expect such important stuff to be at least a little self-explanatory or at least worded in such way that you can google it up, but... :P

It runs good on lower settings, also you spot the snipers in the bushes more easily since you wont be drawing that much details, grass for example.

I kinda want my game to look atleast a bit nice. Having object details low or very low means some ugly texture pop-ins, I can't see through windows unless i'm very close etc.

I kinda want my game to look atleast a bit nice. Having object details low or very low means some ugly texture pop-ins, I can't see through windows unless i'm very close etc.

That window thing, very very annoying.

Edited by BENEDICTUS