Forrelist

What new Rifles would you guys like to see?

Oh yes, good old Stalker and Call of Pripyat.

I finished them both without resorting to using NATO weapons :-).

For a long time I used that custom AK74 from Strelok's hideout.

In Pripyat, I think I used AN-94 for the last quarter of game. 

I so wish Stalker games had coop even if for 2 players. Being able to explore all those blood sucker infested bunkers, desolate villages and all that with buddy, that would be something wondrous!

Yes, the multiplayer had so much potential...

• Like 1

Not strictly a "rifle" (even though the term is insanely broad) but, this gentleman needs to make an appearance in some form or another...

m240b-machine-gun-002.jpg

This guy too...

M-40A5.png

And if you're willing to support the AN-94 (a disfavored, rare-as-piss, pulley-driven [really, look at the internals], almost entirely un-used, weapon which solves no problems, oddball of a weapon) then you should be in full support of something as humble as an AR-10, M240/FN MAG, AR-15, etc.

I'm willing to bet a reasonable amount of internet dollars that more FN SCARs have been shipped internationally [much less overall production] than there are AN-94s left on this earth.

Wouldn't mind the MSBS Radon making an appearance (i.e. potential Polish service rifle and resident ACR impersonator)

polish-msbs-radon.jpg

Also quite sure we may see this puppy in the distant future (in Rocket's very own Kiwi Love expansion pack)

Ranger20with20steyr20aug-a3.jpg

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Galil AR variant in either:

5.56×45mm NATO

7.62×51mm NATO

• Like 1

SVT 40 the perfect battle rifle to add. Good mid tier Battle rifle. SVD being the ultra high end/ DMR battle rifle.

SVT-40 would be a low-end battle rifle, not really warranting being rare. It would only really be able to take the PU Scope (of ones ingame, not taking into account other potential scopes in the future), and only holds a 10 round magazine, similar to the SVD. The SVD is a bit more versatile, more accurate, and also potentially has 20 round magazines (although mainly 10 round ones, like the SVT).

SVD should be the middle end rifle, possibly the low-end of the managed system.

"Ultra-end" to me would be something like a MK17 or SR-25, while "high-end" would be rifles like the M14, G3, and FN FAL, which are definitely more versatile than the SVD, but not superbly high-end

While it would, it's too similar to the SKS aesthetically, I'd like the g3 to be added before the SVT-40, or the CETME sporter. 

800px-SVT-40.jpg

800px-YugoSKS.jpg

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between them. Granted, they are fairly similar looking, and I would love to have a G3 or FN FAL, but I think the SVT is different enough so that it shouldn't be held off just for looks alone.

Also quite sure we may see this puppy in the distant future (in Rocket's very own Kiwi Love expansion pack)

Ranger20with20steyr20aug-a3.jpg

I'd sort of prefer the Steyr AUG A1

800px-Steyr-AUG.jpg

Just because it's interestingly different from the M4A1 and AK101. It comes with an integrated scope, and is also a bullpup rifle, but you can't really put any other attachments on it, and the scope doesn't come off. That way it's got a point other than just being another mid-length 5.56x45mm AR (which I'm not opposed to, but I think that they could do that with other rifles, say the TAR-21, which don't exist like this)

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 2

Just because it's interestingly different from the M4A1 and AK101. It comes with an integrated scope, and is also a bullpup rifle, but you can't really put any other attachments on it, and the scope doesn't come off. That way it's got a point other than just being another mid-length 5.56x45mm AR (which I'm not opposed to, but I think that they could do that with other rifles, say the TAR-21, which don't exist like this)

Either one works!

Although I do foresee the built-in scope being problematic. How else would you go about having the optic get broken/worn, if not by having it separate? But perhaps that could justify its rarity over other weapons (which require you to go out and find optics).

Personally, I'd like to see bullpups be distinguished in terms of their handling (i.e. reload times and perhaps barrel collisions) rather than modularity (or lack thereof).

Edited by Katana67

SVT 40 the perfect battle rifle to add. Good mid tier Battle rifle. SVD being the ultra high end/ DMR battle rifle.

It can also mount the mosins ww2 scope (said scope was made for the svt but swaped to the mosin when the svt proved to be sub par as a sniper rifle)

While it would, it's too similar to the SKS aesthetically, I'd like the g3 to be added before the SVT-40, or the CETME sporter. 

I strongly disagree.

SVT40 fires a full sized cartridge fed from a magazine. That and it fits the location a whole lot better.

AS50

Never gonna happen.  I highly doubt we'd get a single shot/bolt action .50 BMG rifle let alone a semi auto anti mat rifle.

Never gonna happen.  I highly doubt we'd get a single shot/bolt action .50 BMG rifle let alone a semi auto anti mat rifle.

Saying that though, It will be interesting to see if we can get anything capable of punching through multiple sheets of vehicle metal , when they are implemented.

* Offtopic

Maybe even with crafting, an IED would become a danger for those wanting fuel from hotspots.

Either one works!

Although I do foresee the built-in scope being problematic. How else would you go about having the optic get broken/worn, if not by having it separate? But perhaps that could justify its rarity over other weapons (which require you to go out and find optics).

Personally, I'd like to see bullpups be distinguished in terms of their handling (i.e. reload times and perhaps barrel collisions) rather than modularity (or lack thereof).

I think Chris Torchia was talking in one of the recent interviews about how they want to make weapon degradation a thing, so the whole advantage of the AUG would be that the scope doesn't get damaged separately to the gun - sort of like the LongHorn.

That, and the AUG could just be rarer, though I wouldn't necessarily consider the scope to be a complete advantage, because the AUG scope sucks for CQB and the gun has no ironsights, so you'd generally be better of with an M4A1, or to a lesser extent, the AK101.

And I think the idea that bullpups are generally better because of handling is a true point, I just also think that taking advantage of the built-in scope, something that's not too common, would be cool. The TAR-21 with a CQB barrel would probably be a better "high-end" bullpup rifle (compared to other ARs).

I think Chris Torchia was talking in one of the recent interviews about how they want to make weapon degradation a thing, so the whole advantage of the AUG would be that the scope doesn't get damaged separately to the gun - sort of like the LongHorn.

That, and the AUG could just be rarer, though I wouldn't necessarily consider the scope to be a complete advantage, because the AUG scope sucks for CQB and the gun has no ironsights, so you'd generally be better of with an M4A1, or to a lesser extent, the AK101.

And I think the idea that bullpups are generally better because of handling is a true point, I just also think that taking advantage of the built-in scope, something that's not too common, would be cool. The TAR-21 with a CQB barrel would probably be a better "high-end" bullpup rifle (compared to other ARs).

You make a good point. I think it could go either way. I'd just rather they take advantage of the attachment system. I don't really like how the Longhorn and optic are one entity, sort of defeats the purpose of having the attachment system at all. Plus, I want that effing optic on my M4!

But, having an integrated optic would be a good way of distinguishing it.

And I'm marginally sure the irons are built-in to the Swarovski (IIRC) scope on the AUG. Unsure as to whether or not this type of thing will ever be represented again in DayZ (i.e. being able to use a scope and its back-up irons). But, it might not be as disadvantaged in CQC as one might think.

990811aug.jpg

Well if we are adding new stuff, why not Bren 805? It is modular weapon system but I guess for SA purposes, it would be chambered 5.56x45.

I would also like Sa Vz.58 as well as Polish Beryl although yes, they are similar to what AK looks like. Still atleast vz.58 is bit more distinctive, with different sound and non compatible magazines, which is a good thing, as it could differentiate from AK in this regard as well (so looting AK mag would not mean you got mag for vz.58). 

Maybe also Zastava M21A would be interesting, looks a bit like Galil.

I strongly disagree.

SVT40 fires a full sized cartridge fed from a magazine. That and it fits the location a whole lot better.

G3's are pretty commonly used throughout the world, and as the there was a rebellion on before Zday I don't see why they wouldn't be getting guns shipped in from all over. You aren't wrong, but it'd be pretty hard to balance, PU scope gets fixed and we start to see DMRs spawning in residential areas.   

800px-SVT-40.jpg

800px-YugoSKS.jpg

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between them. Granted, they are fairly similar looking, and I would love to have a G3 or FN FAL, but I think the SVT is different enough so that it shouldn't be held off just for looks alone.

I'd sort of prefer the Steyr AUG A1

Ya I forgot to add into my original statement, that the G3 should come first, as we have limited guns currently, but I'm not against the SVT-40 being added at some point. 

The Steyr Aug would be a great addition on the assault rifle level. 

You make a good point. I think it could go either way. I'd just rather they take advantage of the attachment system. I don't really like how the Longhorn and optic are one entity, sort of defeats the purpose of having the attachment system at all. Plus, I want that effing optic on my M4!

But, having an integrated optic would be a good way of distinguishing it.

And I'm marginally sure the irons are built-in to the Swarovski (IIRC) scope on the AUG. Unsure as to whether or not this type of thing will ever be represented again in DayZ (i.e. being able to use a scope and its back-up irons). But, it might not be as disadvantaged in CQC as one might think.

990811aug.jpg

Maybe, they did have that function in ArmA 3 and even ArmA 2 (I believe), though. Regardless, the sights are very high profile, so aiming accurately with them is not too easy. Sort of like the carry handle scope I wanted awhile ago (and still want, for aesthetic purposes), it's use is greatly diminished when it doesn't line up with the regular sights.

The Longhorn being stuck with the scope was kind of annoying, because it's actually a gun that fairly easily swaps optics, and can also be used effectively without them at all. However, I feel like this was because they just didn't put as much time into it, or maybe didn't like how the LRS worked on it and they couldn't agree on what to do with the other one.

It's not a huge deal because the LongHorn isn't a major use weapon, but it was still slightly disappointing.

I want them to take a huge advantage of the attachment system, too, but I believe that attachment versatility should be something to consider when picking even higher-end guns. Most other potential 5.56x45mm ARs, like the TAR-21, G36, FAMAS, L85, SG552, or what have you, are pretty versatile. The AUG, or at least A1 in this instance, gets its advantages from the fact that it's already "leveled-up" to a higher end status, but they come at the cost of reduced overall versatility.

That's why I think that the TAR-21 would be a better candidate for a large amount of attachments, as it;

• Is of bullpup design, making reloading quicker
  • (Potentially) has a shorter barrel than the AUG, increasing effectiveness in CQB but decreasing overall ranged usefulness.
  • Uses STANAG magazines (and all of the other M4 mags), while the AUG uses it's own kind. (Technically the AUG can be modified to use STANAGs but I don't know if they'll do this)
  • Has rails for plenty of optics and other attachments, grenade launchers included.

The AUG A3 would basically fill the same niche, but I feel setting the two apart with the AUG being a longer-ranged 5.56x45mm bullpup and the TAR being a shorter-ranged bullpup would actually add differential performance rather than just two cool looking guns that for all intents and purposes perform the same.

That, and I like the classic A1 look :P

G3's are pretty commonly used throughout the world, and as the there was a rebellion on before Zday I don't see why they wouldn't be getting guns shipped in from all over. You aren't wrong, but it'd be pretty hard to balance, PU scope gets fixed and we start to see DMRs spawning in residential areas.   

Ya I forgot to add into my original statement, that the G3 should come first, as we have limited guns currently, but I'm not against the SVT-40 being added at some point. 

The Steyr Aug would be a great addition on the assault rifle level. 

That's true, a higher capacity, select-fire, western battle rifle would definitely be cooler to have sooner than a rifle which is, for all intents and purposes (gameplay wise) an SKS that shoots 7.62x54mmR rounds and uses a magazine.

Still, I see no reason for something like it to be managed, because the only real advantages it has over the SKS is that it deals more damage and is a bit more accurate. Both of them are limited to the PU Scope of optics currently implemented (and the SKS does have a bayonet, so there's that), the SVT-40 needs a magazine to be at full useful capacity, and the SVT is also a lot longer than the SKS -- Though not too much, it's significant enough in CQB.

And if weapon maintenance ever becomes a factor then the SVT-40 will probably be significantly less reliable than the SKS.

The FN FAL might be cool, too, as it's a pretty long rifle, but either work.

That's true, a higher capacity, select-fire, western battle rifle would definitely be cooler to have sooner than a rifle which is, for all intents and purposes (gameplay wise) an SKS that shoots 7.62x54mmR rounds and uses a magazine.

If we're going to be like that we could say an M24/M40/any bolt action rifle is a 91/30, X assault rifle is either an AKM or M4, and magazine fed handguns are the CZ75 and FNX.

That said, I welcome any form of variety in the game that's added.

VHS (Croatian service rifle)

kovcanje1503201214.jpg

FN F2000 (Slovenian service rifle)

EUCOM_Slovenian_Armed_Forces_F2000S.jpg

H&K G36 (Service rifle of Germany, Latvia, Estonia [along with the Galil and G3], Lithuania, and used by too many SOF units in former-Soviet, Eastern European, and/or Balkan countries to list here)

lT7Fmvz.jpg

Some kinda' FN Minimi variant (Used in Latvia, Serbia, Slovenia, and of course... New Zealand's sexy adoption of a 7.62x51 version as their standard light machinegun)

nz_minimi-tfb.jpg

BONUS - FN Minimi used with Elcan SpecterDR optic, by vanilla-ass Latvian serviceman

f69781.jpg

Edited by Katana67

Sa-58 ACOG personally, while i gess the M4 acog can just be mounted onto that

it's a beast ;)

• Like 2

I'd love to see a G3, but as an extremely rare spawn, as not many of them came to eastern Europe, but rather Asia, Africa and Scandinavia

The SV98 would do well as a rare police/military spawn, but it would have to be rare enough so that people would actually be looking for it, and for that to happen it would also need to have some noteable advantage over the two other bolt-actions we have right now.

No one wants L85 back in DayZ. It wold be cool to carry it and have to clean it after you fire 50-60 rounds :)

I wish they add more AK variants, and Kobra sights. RPK, AKSU-74, AK-107, super rare AN-94... I miss G36C SD from Namalsk, I killed thousads of zombies with it. But most of all I miss FAL.

• Like 1

No one wants L85 back in DayZ. It wold be cool to carry it and have to clean it after you fire 50-60 rounds :)

I wish they add more AK variants, and Kobra sights. RPK, AKSU-74, AK-107, super rare AN-94... I miss G36C SD from Namalsk, I killed thousads of zombies with it. But most of all I miss FAL.

Definitely! All of those would be neat! I do think they should add in a few more optics (mostly on the Warsaw Pact end).

FAL all day.

Edited by Katana67