ChainReactor

Spearfishing

Hey Forum,

Now that we can craft sharpened sticks, what about adding spearfishing to the game? Food is much more rare now with loot respawn being introduced, and i really like the idea of basic survival tactics such as hunting and fishing becoming more important tasks to keep your character energized. However, the ammount of items needed to go fishing at the moment doesnt allow fishing to be a "basic survival thing", especially when you start a new character ( which is the time when hunger is the biggest problem ).

I would like it if all you need to go fishing would be an ashwood stick and a bladed weapon e.g. kitchen knife or machete. Use the knife to sharpen the stick, go spearfishing, use knife to get tasty fish filets.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Would that not make "traditional" fishing obsolete? Why bother with shovels, worms, rope, ... the result is the same - fishy, fishy...

Would that not make "traditional" fishing obsolete? Why bother with shovels, worms, rope, ... the result is the same - fishy, fishy...

Having both would add some variety, depending on your play-style of course. If you make it so the spear wears out similar to say a sewing kit it might make the hook & bait way more viable in the long run.

Adding a wide variety of guns to the game also leads to the same result - boom, boom.... :)

Seriously, how about making spear fishing less efficient than fishing with a rod, making it a "low-tier" possibility to acquire food?

My point is, fishing in DayZ right now is a nice hobby rather than a need. By the time you finally found everything to start fishing, you probably found plenty of food anyway, so fishing is no real alternative to looting because ... well, you need to loot a lot to begin with it in first place.

EDIT: Ninja'd with the effectiveness idea.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

sign :thumbsup:

You are right! I like your idea.
Till I found a fishing hook and a rope, I am energized and healthy...
Ropes, knifes, fishing hooks should be more common. Spearfishing would be a good addition :)

sign :thumbsup:

You are right! I like your idea.

Till I found a fishing hook and a rope, I am energized and healthy...

Ropes, knifes, fishing hooks should be more common. Spearfishing would be a good addition :)

That is sadly true, but Hicks said in a twitch stream some time ago that basic loot allowing crafting like that should get more common.

Went fishing today, did the time to catch a carp get increased? Took forever. We caught 4 carps and I think it took as long as the 10 carps last time. Or maybe the company and discussion was better last time...

Edited by bautschi

Really like this idea, one of the first things I would do in a post-apocalyptic scenario would be make spears for hunting, fishing, killing if necessary, because there easy. I also think if this is implemented, you should be able to attach a rope to your spear and shoot it through a bow (or tie a rope to arrow) and shoot it into water, making a harpoon that flies faster and better then throwing by hand. Where I live there is a river filled with Asian Carp, people go out (including me) and shoot them in the water with this kind of setup, easy way to rid the water of the vermin. Could be used to get good fish for food as well though. Anyway, good idea, if you want to add my suggestion you can.