Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Realistic Leather Sack Recipe

The leather sack is a player crafted backpack that made it's apperance in the recent patch notes.

However a backpack with this level of detail can not be achieved with the help of a mere kitchen knife.

500px-LeatherSack01.png?version=57a553b2

Instead of this recipe:

80px-Deerpelt.jpg?version=49c7d5f54f099a
21px-75px-Kitchen_knife.png?version=032d

=

67px-LeatherSack01.png?version=2fb677dda

I propose this viable and more realistic recipe:

80px-Deerpelt.jpg?version=49c7d5f54f099a
21px-75px-Kitchen_knife.png?version=032d
120px-Sewing-kit.png?version=abacfd9a5f7

=

I know it's not much of a suggestion,but a good start in using the sewing kit as a means for crafting items rather than just a repair tool.

Edit:Included the knife after popular demand.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 11

Hello there

I think both the knife and sewing kit should be needed. But good call.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

However a backpack with this level of detail can not be achieved with the help of a mere kitchen knife.

How would you cut the leather into pieces then? Technically you could cut small enough leather strips to make stitches with. (Thats how the american indians did it)

Add the knife to your recipe and im all for it.

• Like 1

How would you cut the leather into pieces then? Technically you could cut small enough leather strips to make stitches with. (Thats how the american indians did it)

that's what I always want: ;)

Being able to cut leather/animal-skin into stripes and using them as ropes/strings for patching things up and crafting items.

Maybe also combine 2-4 leatherstripes and make a more solid rope out of it for a weapon-sling, etc.

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 2

Hello there

I think both the knife and sewing kit should be needed. But good call.

Rgds

LoK

I would expect the common sewing kit to be equipped with scissors(a quick google search of "sewing kit").

My reasoning was that the sewing kit alone,can cover that function.

So i thought i would exclude the knife as it's not the right tool for accurate and symetrical cuts compared to scissors.

I think the Knife is actually required for preparing the hide but getting a 20 slot backpack for only slicing up a deer pelt seems a little too easy. So I propose this recipe:
80px-Deerpelt.jpg?version=49c7d5f54f099a+21px-75px-Kitchen_knife.png?version=032d+120px-Sewing-kit.png?version=abacfd9a5f7
=

Where the knife would result in a "prepared deer pelt" than can be crafted into the Leather Sack using the sewing kit. For both the Knife and Sewing Kit this would count as a use not consuming but probably degrading the item.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 3

I would expect the common sewing kit to be equipped with scissors(a quick google search of "sewing kit").

My reasoning was that the sewing kit alone,can cover that function.

So i thought i would exclude the knife as it's not the right tool for accurate and symetrical cuts compared to scissors.

Not sure if those tiny little scissors would be able to cut through leather, but i digress.

And you can make perfect cuts with a knife (lay the leather on a rock, or stone and push down), its much harder with a tiny scissors.

I think the Knife is actually required for preparing the hide but getting a 20 slot backpack for only slicing up a deer pelt seems a little too easy. So I propose this recipe:

80px-Deerpelt.jpg?version=49c7d5f54f099a+21px-75px-Kitchen_knife.png?version=032d+120px-Sewing-kit.png?version=abacfd9a5f7

=

Where the knife would result in a "prepared deer pelt" than can be crafted into the Leather Sack using the sewing kit. For both the Knife and Sewing Kit this would count as a use not consuming but probably degrading the item.

I like the way you think!

It's true,you have to prepare the leather pelt before sewing it,so further quality degradation for the knife. :)