Sign in to follow this  
GunnyITA

Sawn off shotgun ironsight

even if now both shotgun versions shoots a single pellets and making a big hole, the problem with the sawn off version is the ironsight.

Yea, off course nobody should aim more than 10 metres with this gun, but here's the problem i had with it:

Unlike few updates way back, now you can't a run and stop aiming only with the "white dot" in the middle of the screen. It was possible few update before and the white dot was moving also properly because of the breath.

So that if you move with the sawn off shotgun, even a short walk and you want to shoot, you can't aim with the white dot because it stand still and your weapon is moving because of the breath...

...and you can't aim also with the ironsight, because you are breathing and the "Real Ironsight" is 3-4 cm above the weapon.

So that, while aiming you can't just just check the middle of the screen and pull the trigger, you do have to follow an invisible ironsight above the weapon and then shoot.

You can't chase players with this gun, because the breath don't allow you to take the aim.

Hell...i also ran to Boars and after i stopped and shoot with white dot i missed, then i've swapped to ironsight and the gun is horrible moving and you have to shoot through an invisible ironsight that is moving with the gun!

I'd like to say: bring back the moving white dot....but i prefer to say: fix the sawn off shotgun ironsight to be in line as any other weapon in the game. If i want to put the slugs on it in a near future, will i be able to shoot them with it?

Edited by GunnyITA

Yeah the ADS on the sawed-off is a little weird. I feel like I'm looking over it, not aiming down it.

Shotguns have sights for a reason.

Yes, and sawed-off shotguns dont have a barrel/sight at the bottom because its sawed-off.

Yes, and sawed-off shotguns dont have a barrel/sight at the bottom because its sawed-off

You don't point your shotgun in the general direction of your target and pray for the best. Proper fundamentals with a shotgun require you to aim, that is when you have sights.

• Like 1

You don't point your shotgun in the general direction of your target and pray for the best. Proper fundamentals with a shotgun require you to aim, that is when you have sights.

Its a sawed-off shot gun

The part with 1 of the two sights has been SAWED-OFF

And no, ive shot plenty of shot guns with only one sight on the end.

• Like 1

I get the impression that you are the type of person who will happily cut off the branch you are sitting on, or steadily paint yourself into a corner.

• Like 1

Its a sawed-off shot gun

The part with 1 of the two sights has been SAWED-OFF

And no, ive shot plenty of shot guns with only one sight on the end.

The previous poster implied that you do not "aim" with a shotgun, which is not true. Even with a single bead sight you are still applying weapon fundamentals despite not gaining sight alignment with a rear sight.

I get the impression that you are the type of person who will happily cut off the branch you are sitting on, or steadily paint yourself into a corner.

I get the impression that you are the type of person that doesn't understand why all modern firearms are manufactured with pointy things on top.

• Like 1

weapon fundamentals

Why the fuck would you saw the barrel off a shotgun if you are applying these?

Your logic astounds me.

And the POINT of sawing the barrel off of a shot gun is to have a larger spread. Aiming is not necessary.

As far as dayz goes, its alpha, the physics dont match up to real life.

You do not traditionally aim with a shotgun; slowly pulling the trigger, holding breath, one eye closed and so on. The shotgun was designed to shoot birds and other small & fast animals. Its made to be fired quickly, with both eyes open and a barrel that leaves your line of sight open.

The previous poster implied that you do not "aim" with a shotgun, which is not true. Even with a single bead sight you are still applying weapon fundamentals despite not gaining sight alignment with a rear sight.

Indeed, weapon fundamentals - aiming is just a more complex form of pointing.

• Like 1

Why the fuck would you saw the barrel off a shotgun if you are applying these?

Your logic astounds me.

And the POINT of sawing the barrel off of a shot gun is to have a larger spread. Aiming is not necessary.

As far as dayz goes, its alpha, the physics dont match up to real life.

Why don't you read the original post I quoted before you put words in my mouth and imply I was referring to sawed off guns, where it was not exclusive to sbs/sawed off shotguns. Also several people saw down shotguns/use short barrel shotguns for concealment and/or close quarters, not just to achieve a wider spread.

You do not traditionally aim with a shotgun; slowly pulling the trigger, holding breath, one eye closed and so on. The shotgun was designed to shoot birds and other small & fast animals. Its made to be fired quickly, with both eyes open and a barrel that leaves your line of sight open.

Fundamentals aren't all inclusive. Also shotguns have many uses besides hunting, such as defense. Jerking the trigger of a shotgun will cause you to be off target. Keeping both eyes open when engaging a target is common practice with other small arms, besides shotguns.

Edited by Dale Gribble
  • Like 1

Why don't you read the original post I quoted before you put words in my mouth and imply I was referring to sawed off guns, where it was not exclusive to sbs/sawed off shotguns. Also several people saw down shotguns/use short barrel shotguns for concealment and/or close quarters, not just to achieve a wider spread.

Here is your original post.

What the hell am i looking for? All i see is you refering to a sawed-off as having two sights.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Snip

I quoted this post:

It does need to be stabilized, but remember; you are not supposed to aim a shotgun - you point it

Notice how it uses the word "Shotgun" and does not specify any variant of a shotgun. The statement is wrong as it implies that you do not aim with any type of shotgun. I never referred to a sawed off variant of a shotgun even though you want to think I did. Please pay attention next time and read the post thoroughly. Also this isn't reddit. Meme images don't add value to your content.

If you don't know the difference between a shotgun and a sawed off/SBS use these helpful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun

Nope, its a sawed-off

Again, its a sawed-off

I get the impression that you are the type of person that doesn't understand why all modern firearms are manufactured with pointy things on top.

Nope, the barrel has been cutoff the gun

"Sights"

"Sights"

"Things"

It seems you might have lost the idea of a sawed-off shotgun.

A sawed-off shotgun has most/part of the barrel cut off.

Which means the other part of your "Sights" is on the barrel you cutoff.

What the fuck are you implying with this statement? It seems you do not know what a sawed-off shotgun is.

If you don't know the difference between a shotgun and a sawed off/SBS use these helpful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun

• Like 1

So that if you move with the sawn off shotgun, even a short walk and you want to shoot, you can't aim with the white dot because it stand still and your weapon is moving because of the breath...

This is the point, it's how ARMA 3 does it. The crosshair isn't supposed to give a perfect aim. This was something I wanted for ages (crosshair doesn't show exact aim), seems like the devs thought the same thing too.

...and you can't aim also with the ironsight

There are no iron sights, you chopped the bead off with the hacksaw.

because you are breathing and the "Real Ironsight" is 3-4 cm above the weapon.

Again it's that way because it looks much better and you can't properly "aim" a sawn-off shotgun anyways. In the mod the shotgun "iron sights" looked TERRIBLE.

I suggested this one year ago on Zombies.nu, that the shotgun be changed so it was tilted upwards slightly because it looks much better, that is exactly what they did in Standalone.

The problem, I think, is the slightly tapered barrels.

The solution would be to rotate the model so that the barrels are pointing slightly upwards. Allows the player to kind of sight along the barrels, as per real life (and most games), instead of the weird "parallel projection" that we have now. It just looks so much better.

For example:

S28ncEa.png

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

Nope, its a sawed-off

Again, its a sawed-off

Nope, the barrel has been cutoff the gun

"Sights"

"Sights"

"Things"

It seems you might have lost the idea of a sawed-off shotgun.

A sawed-off shotgun has most/part of the barrel cut off.

Which means the other part of your "Sights" is on the barrel you cutoff.

What the fuck are you implying with this statement? It seems you do not know what a sawed-off shotgun is.

Again, you seem to be unable to comprehend that I was not referring to sawed off shotguns, and was replying to a post that failed to differentiate between a gun absent sights and one with them. Are you just selectively reading? Because you seem to have trouble understanding the context of what I am writing. You highlighted post where I wrote "sights". This is irrelevant because I never referred to a gun absent it's sights. Lets take another look and hope you can understand:

It does need to be stabilized, but remember; you are not supposed to aim a shotgun - you point it

Now, lets pay attention to this part of the statement:

you are not supposed to aim a shotgun

Now this part. Please pay attention:

a shotgun

"A shotgun" in the context it was taken from implies any shotgun, IE an unmolested model with sights intact. Now lets take a common model of shotgun, the Remington M870. The Remington M870 has a front bead sight and a rear sight so the shooter can acquire sight picture and sight alignment. US Army doctrine teaches M870 users to raise the shotgun to shoulder length and apply fundamentals before shooting it, not blindly aiming in the general direction and hoping for the pellets to connect to target. This is contrary to the statement "you are not supposed to aim a shotgun - you point it". Let me remind you that the statement isn't "you are not supposed to aim a sawed off shotgun - you point it". If that was the case you would be correct.

• Like 1

US Army doctrine teaches M870 users to raise the shotgun to shoulder length and apply fundamentals before shooting it, not blindly aiming in the general direction and hoping for the pellets to connect to target. This is contrary to the statement "you are not supposed to aim a shotgun - you point it".

US Army doctrine doesn't matter.

When you are shooting a rifle you focus on the front sight and let the target blur.

When you are shooting a shotgun you focus on the target and let the bead blur.

This is why shotgun fit is often said to be more crucial than rifle fit, you have to mount the shotgun consistently.

You always hear "you don't aim a shotgun, you point it", technically you are aiming it but it's a saying to get the point across, shotguns are mainly used on birds, clays and other fast-moving targets, it's a different style of shooting than firing at a stationary target.

• Like 2

Again, you seem to be unable to comprehend that I was not referring to sawed off shotguns, and was replying to a post that failed to differentiate between a gun absent sights and one with them. Are you just selectively reading? Because you seem to have trouble understanding the context of what I am writing. You highlighted post where I wrote "sights". This is irrelevant because I never referred to a gun absent it's sights. Lets take another look and hope you can understand:

"A shotgun" in the context it was taken from implies any shotgun, IE an unmolested model with sights intact. Now lets take a common model of shotgun, the Remington M870. The Remington M870 has a front bead sight and a rear sight so the shooter can acquire sight picture and sight alignment. US Army doctrine teaches M870 users to raise the shotgun to shoulder length and apply fundamentals before shooting it, not blindly aiming in the general direction and hoping for the pellets to connect to target. This is contrary to the statement "you are not supposed to aim a shotgun - you point it". Let me remind you that the statement isn't "you are not supposed to aim a sawed off shotgun - you point it". If that was the case you would be correct.

Sweet...

Lets Quote the OP, shall we, and remember what this thread is about.

even if now both shotgun versions shoots a single pellets and making a big hole, the problem with the sawn off version is the ironsight.

fix the sawn off shotgun ironsight to be in line as any other weapon in the game.

Oh, so you are taking of a COMPLETELY different subject, and only saying you were because i have proven you wrong.

GG

Not gonna quote your monster post dale, but you can just as easily imply he meant the sawn off, as that is the point of the post. Pretty sure it was tongue in cheek too, judging by the emote..

Sweet...

Lets Quote the OP, shall we, and remember what this thread is about.

Oh, so you are taking of a COMPLETELY different subject, and only saying you were because i have proven you wrong.

GG

I never quoted the OP, it is you that is goalposting and now claiming because I posted in this thread, all of my content refers to the OP and not the post I directly quoted. I think you need to pay attention more carefully next time before you jump to conclusions.

• Like 1

US Army doctrine doesn't matter.

When you are shooting a rifle you focus on the front sight and let the target blur.

When you are shooting a shotgun you focus on the target and let the bead blur.

This is why shotgun fit is often said to be more crucial than rifle fit, you have to mount the shotgun consistently.

You always hear "you don't aim a shotgun, you point it", technically you are aiming it but it's a saying to get the point across, shotguns are mainly used on birds, clays and other fast-moving targets, it's a different style of shooting than firing at a stationary target.

I'm going to politely and partially disagree, only for the fact that shotguns are being used mostly in combat and not hunting in game. I remember being taught to engage center mass of an individual and apply fundamentals similar to iron sights (of a rifle). I'm not a hunter, and I'm sure you are correct on the subject of hunting, but are hunting mechanics in game at this stage of involvement?

Edited by Dale Gribble

I never quoted the OP, it is you that is goalposting and now claiming because I posted in this thread, all of my content refers to the OP and not the post I directly quoted.

Oh good lord, now its getting good.

So back to my orinal question. Why the hell were you talking about regular shotguns then? If "All of your content refers to the OP"?

Your just digging yourself deeper. You made a mistake, own up to it rather than trying to snake your way out of it.

Edited by TomatoSupra

Oh good lord, now its getting good.

So back to my orinal question. Why the hell were you talking about regular shotguns then? If "All of your content refers to the OP"?

Your just digging yourself deeper. You made a mistake, own up to it rather than trying to snake your way out of it.

No, I'm not "digging myself" anywhere. Nor am I claiming "All of my content refers to the OP". You really have trouble with reading comprehension as I stated you are claiming all my content refers to the OP and you could not understand what I was referring to or am trying to twist words to what you want to read. Rather than accept that you really have trouble understanding, you now try to rationalize it to make yourself feel that you have the upper hand in an internet augment and try to feel superior to make up for your shortcomings. Despite your misunderstandings, I am not trying to renege my original statement or trying to "snake" out of it for some nefarious purpose. I would try to explain that in internet forums, sometimes a post may be slightly off subject in a thread or directly address something that another user mentioned while in the same thread but unfortunately I doubt you are capable of understanding and would feel personally attacked instead.