nishka

Player spawn is the cause of all evil

This is only going to disorientate new players. Seasoned vets are going to know where they are in 0 - 15 minutes tops I would think :)

That potential 15 minutes already improves the game .

Those 15 minutes of anxiety as a whole creates a better experience and keeps the spirit of uncertainty.

That potential 15 minutes already improves the game .

Those 15 minutes of anxiety as a whole creates a better experience and keeps the spirit of uncertainty.

I dunno. I feel pretty at home in Chernarus. I've walked the entire map hundreds of times but I'm all for random spawns all over as long as it's implemented right like Em pointed out above :)

The problem with random spawns over the whole map is that people will just suicide repeatedly until they spawn near a military base.

Its a lovely idea but I think in reality it would end up making the game worse.  At least at the moment if you want are more "role play" type experience you can just head west.

Edited by Continuity
  • Like 1

I always play from where I'm spawned and I also leave that point immediately. The only bad spawn point . . . wait there aren't any bad spawn points. Only bad, whiny, immature, spoiled, bitching, lazy, cheating, game ruining people.

• Like 1

I dunno. I feel pretty at home in Chernarus. I've walked the entire map hundreds of times but I'm all for random spawns all over as long as it's implemented right like Em pointed out above :)

Absolutely some people know the map like the back of their hand.

However you must admit that if a randomized spawn system was ever implemented it would break your pattern in game.

Each spawn would not be met with the exact same pattern you would have if you knew the spawn location by heart.

The same loot locations you constantly loot will be different depending on where in the map you believe you are.

Every once in a while you might actually get lost with a curveball of a spawn that you can't quite grasp.

The problem with random spawns over the whole map is that people will just suicide repeatedly until they spawn near a military base.

Its a lovely idea but I think in reality it would end up making the game worse.  At least at the moment if you want are more "role play" type experience you can just head west.

Yea they might but the great part about spawning in the wilderness is that it would take ages to spawn in an ideal location.

First you would have to figure out where you are then traverse to an ideal location to kill yourself from.

This would easily delay the spawn to suicide by 15 minutes atleast. Combine that with having to find your location each time it could take hours before you find a spawn that fits what you desire. You would have wasted hours that you could have been looting anyway for a military loot location that you will probably not survive going in empty handed.

This is a way to delay what people would do anyway in a way that also improves the game for everyone else by breaking the routine of everyone and keeping the game fresh and fluid every single spawn.

Edited by gibonez

However you must admit that if a randomized spawn system was ever implemented it would break your pattern in game.

Each spawn would not be met with the exact same pattern you would have if you knew the spawn location by heart.

The same loot locations you constantly loot will be different depending on where in the map you believe you are.

Every once in a while you might actually get lost with a curveball of a spawn that you can't quite grasp.

What we really need is a brand new map to go live when DayZ hits full release.

I'm sure they're beavering away behind the scenes on it as we speak... maybe.

What we really need is a brand new map to go live when DayZ hits full release.

I'm sure they're beavering away behind the scenes on it as we speak... maybe.

Even then the same problem would arise the only real solution would be to have a procedurally created map like RUST and Minecraft.

However they can achieve a similar result by randomizing the current spawn system.

Some people will suicide and if they want to spend 30 minutes doing that when it only takes 20 minutes to get to military loot is a problem wiith them I'd say.

Personally, I'd prefer to play the game rather than waste my time dying.

One thing that does strike me as odd though. This game is meant to be slow paced. You're meant to survive for days and yet the devs think that server hopping as quickly as possible is a good thing (since they reduced the time to hop between servers) and there's no wait time between deaths.

As long as they keep allowing this quick access BS they'll attract the COD players. Spawn mashing is easily beaten by adding time between deaths. If you die within 2 minutes of spawning 3 times in a row you get to wait 10 minutes before you can spawn again. There's a ton of fixes around spawn mashing it's up to the devs what kind of message they want to say with it.

Theres a lot people who would like to spawn with m4 and backback full of ammo, or atleast spawn next to it. But randomizing the spawn point with 40 players would make towns so barren.

Even with full pop servers when you go inland theres a very little chance you will meet anyone anywhere else than around military barracks.

Besides trolling on regular would become impossible without the Berenzino spawns.

As long as they keep allowing this quick access BS they'll attract the COD players. Spawn mashing is easily beaten by adding time between deaths. If you die within 2 minutes of spawning 3 times in a row you get to wait 10 minutes before you can spawn again. There's a ton of fixes around spawn mashing it's up to the devs what kind of message they want to say with it.

Who gives a poop, the game is so broken at the moment that letting people have quick fixes of fun is better. You know what Im talking about when you go around* wishing for pvp and getting killed by invisble hacker.

edit:

* with your gear that you farmed for days.

Edited by BENEDICTUS

I'm all for random spawns and hope it does throw me a curve. There have been times on the new map I've known exactly where I am but felt completely lost because they changed the landscape in an area.

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

Even then the same problem would arise the only real solution would be to have a procedurally created map like RUST and Minecraft.

However they can achieve a similar result by randomizing the current spawn system.

Yeah but it would take a pretty long time to get to that situation, especially in combination with reduced movement speeds and a stamina system that stops people using sprinting for travelling the map. It'd be fucking cool to start with, at least, having everybody stumbling aimlessly about not knowing where they are. And maybe a game-menu grouping option so you can spawn near your mates if you like.

This map has been in circulation for several years, so it's not surprising people know it like the back of their hand.

I really hate spawning in-land. It feels like being given a head-start over starting out on the coast, then making your way towards the opposite side.

Edited by Pillock

Who gives a poop, the game is so broken at the moment that letting people have quick fixes of fun is better. You know what Im talking about when you go around* wishing for pvp and getting killed by invisble hacker.

edit:

* with your gear that you farmed for days.

What?

Yeah but it would take a pretty long time to get to that situation, especially in combination with reduced movement speeds and a stamina system that stops people using sprinting for travelling the map. It'd be fucking cool to start with, at least, having everybody stumbling aimlessly about not knowing where they are. And maybe a game-menu grouping option so you can spawn near your mates if you like.

This map has been in circulation for several years, so it's not surprising people know it like the back of their hand.

I really hate spawning in-land. It feels like being given a head-start over starting out on the coast, then making your way towards the opposite side.

But isn't that because you think end game is getting military loot? Are you thinking about survival when you play the game or hunting other players? Once you start thinking survival you'll realise that gearing up in 20 minutes instead of an hour is miniscule compared to the hundreds of hours you're going to need to stay alive after that :)

But isn't that because you think end game is getting military loot? Are you thinking about survival when you play the game or hunting other players? Once you start thinking survival you'll realise that gearing up in 20 minutes instead of an hour is miniscule compared to the hundreds of hours you're going to need to stay alive after that :)

I don't follow...

What's that got to do with anything I said in the post you quoted?

Edit: By the way, I hardly ever go to military bases, and when I do it's only to try and find pistol magazines. So no, gearing up as fast as possible with military gear does not enter my thinking when playing DayZ, and hadn't when I made that post.

Edited by Pillock

I don't follow...

What's that got to do with anything I said in the post you quoted?

Edit: By the way, I hardly ever go to military bases, and when I do it's only to try and find pistol magazines. So no, gearing up as fast as possible with military gear does not enter my thinking when playing DayZ, and hadn't when I made that post.

It was this part,

Sounded like you thought starting inland gave you an advantage over gear. I was trying to say that gear is only the beginning of the game.

yesterday night i was onliune pretty late playing dayZ and over Steam overlay a friend of mine (one who suspicously often "finds" Hacked M4s) asked me if i was in berezino,

i was replying "no, i am searching for Crashsites and trying to find a SMERSH backpack, maybe even a legit M4 with ACOG"

to which he replied "why would you not be in berezino?"

i think many people are still in the "every fps is a deathmatch" phase, whereas a sandbox game delivers so much more to do than that...

• Like 1

It was this part,

Sounded like you thought starting inland gave you an advantage over gear. I was trying to say that gear is only the beginning of the game.

Ah, I see now. Sorry for being slow.

What I meant was that I like the idea of starting at the very edge, and then working one's way across, exploring as you go. It gives you more of a sense of direction and purpose.

• Like 1

Military gear is end game? Explain to me how something you wear makes you play the "end game"? 

Also as of now we cant really talk about survival expect avoiding bugs and that sort of stuff.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/204402-why-randomly-spawning-all-over-the-map-is-a-bad-idea/#entry2053649

Spawning all over the map, randomly, is a caveman solution to a problem which requires multiple, subtle solutions. Which include dynamic loot spawn, increased need for survival items, vehicles, etc.

Plus, it creates a whole slew of new issues.

No thank you. The developers have the right idea. Spawn in the east, move to the west for better gear. Now all we need is a reason to go back to the east, and all over, and boom... non-linear mobility. Spawns shouldn't dictate the player's path, the player should.

Edited by Katana67

I think if they would increase the spawn area to the whole map they also need to weight spawnpoints according to player/loot proximity/density to keep some kind of progress and keep some kind of heterogenous gameplay. Also it would rquire death penalties to me much higher to avoid "suicide roulette" where players just kill themslves until they spawn in a good spot rather tan traveling.

Now I am all for increasing the penality for death but with all map spawns it would be just too much to be fun. Also those kind of spawns would add another "teleport feature" that moves traffic away from ingame paths making encounters away fom key locations less common (same as server hopping) thus reducing the overall enjoyment.

i find it funny, in the past berenzino was dreaded by everybody, or most, now that every body is spawning there for testing, thinks is the best and even thinks they are going to keep that way.....as soon as this changes ppl will go back to cod because your gonna have too walk, you will have to scavenge more because the loot spawn will also be balanced.

If the devs keep as it is, they might as well cut their work short and cut   more then 50% of the map since ppl are too attached (in past was cherno). and wont go anywhere else. the way i see it the reason they are adding more towns north, close to berezino is that both South spawns are being balanced with the East spawns, that way the fresh spawn will eventually find his way to center of the map or give more reason to go other places.

Military gear is end game? Explain to me how something you wear makes you play the "end game"? 

Also as of now we cant really talk about survival expect avoiding bugs and that sort of stuff.

I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying what many players think - they gear up and then they're all "what do we do now...."

They can't think of the game in terms of a survival game and fail to realise that "living" is what you have to do, that's the point of the game and you lose when you die.

• Like 1

They can't think of the game in terms of a survival game and fail to realise that "living" is what you have to do, that's the point of the game and you lose when you die.

Exactly.

Allthough the endgame seems to be making youtube videos like its been pointed out in these forums too.

Randomized spawning all over the map not only the coast seems to be one of the most requested features.

Great idea too since it stops one of dayz biggest flaws repetition.

Keeping the spawning dynamic ensures the gameplay remains fluid who cares if some random persons random stash has a slightly higher chance of being discovered the game would benefit tenfold from random spawning.

If they do that whenever some1 spawns at berezino/krasno they would just suicide so they get a spawn near a mil base. Randomizing spawn will only promote spawn suiciding.

• Like 2