leo_rubol

Fear loot spawn system idea for DayZ standalone

I’m sorry for my poor English, I hope you can understand my idea. Also if you know Russian language you can read this russian version.

Today in DayZ standalone 0.47-0.48 loot spawn system can be easy exploit. You already saw mass of loot at the military bases e.t.c. But before 0.47 patch loot was not spawned, which created a horde of server hoppers. So my idea is to loot spawn did not depend of the player’s actions. It’s player independent system, but time-dependent only. Thus excludes the possibility of loot farming.

So, here is my idea
For example let’s look on one spawn spot.

post-216164-0-86462900-1407775767.jpg

Some explanations:

STEP 1: «Random Delay»

Define random delay before loot spawn step. For example in range from 0 to 30 min. The range can depends of the number of players on the server. So, we wait delay time and go to next step.

STEP 2: «Loot spawn»
Now we randomly determine whether the spawn loot this time. And if it spawns – what is this loot.

IS LOOT SPAWNS?
     NO:

• goto Step 1.

YES:

• Define loot type.
  • Define loot life time in loot spot. For example, in range 15-45 min.
  • Spawn loot in “Pristine” condition.

STEP 23: «Loot is getting older»

Till loot life time item passes from “Pristine” condition to “Ruined”, and then it’s disappears.
Item can become in different condition different times. For example: Prestine – 30%, Worn – 25%, Damaged – 20%, Badly Damaged – 15%, Ruined – 10% of the loot life time.

When loot life time is finished goto step 1.
And also if player take this loot, we still wait then loot life time is finished. Such way we can avoid exploitation. Of course loot item stop aging.

Optimization

This spawn algorithm time-dependent, so it can be easily optimized. No needs to spread items on all map and check it status. Just check the items near the players. When player come to the place where was no loot yet you just need to run this algoritm from zero to current time.

- - -
P.S.
This algorithm can be also used to zombie spawn system. So players can clear some territory of zombie for a while.

post-216164-0-86462900-1407775767_thumb.

As great of an idea this is, people will still server hop, making this system practically futile. I think the current loot spawn system is good where it stands, and their is no point in messing with it for now, not until other priorities are taken care of.

I'd like to see some kind of master database for items created so the hive can track what items are out there and what needs to be spawned - for example, if the devs want to have 1000 rounds of 7.62 out there for people to use, it won't respawn until there is enough missing to require a respawn (maybe 100?).  This system would avoid overpopulation of items and add balance and control from the hive operator's point of view.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to address the OP.  I don't like the idea of all items degrading over time... I mean, are we talking about spawning something like a shirt in 'pristine' condition, then having it degrade to ruined in 2 hours?  That's pretty ridiculous IMO.  I think things should spawn in a condition, and not despawn until they are picked up or the server decided to repopulate the area.

Edited by Rigor Mortis

As great of an idea this is, people will still server hop, making this system practically futile. I think the current loot spawn system is good where it stands, and their is no point in messing with it for now, not until other priorities are taken care of.

Server hopping will be with any spawn system. To exclude server hopping, we need "one server one life" principle of the servers.

Having played 0.48 It would be good for thing to degrade over time. This would refresh the map and loot a bit better.  I have been in the same area 24 hours later and there are lots of the same items around.  I know this for sure as I left a crossbow with a sight on it and 24 hours later its still there as well as other items that i recognized that were still in the same place. I like the idea of the OP, but the condition of the items on spawn in should be random down to badly damaged.