Sign in to follow this  
mjp808

Annoying...Steam auto-launches with Arma 2 now? PLEASE make it stop

I havent played DayZ in a while, but I used to be able to start Arma without Steam pretty easily (DayZ Commmander, Pw6, or just starting .exe directly). Now Steam hops in everytime and its annoying...what has changed in the last few months and how do I fix this?

Gamespy died. And DayZ is only multiplayer so it doesn't make sense without starting steam (which is also the new MP platform for Arma 2).

• Like 1

Like Evil Minion said, you cant "fix" it.

Without steam, Arma II is nothing but a single player game really. 

After the death of gamespy they introduced the steam browser for servers and thus made it require steam in order to start.

Dean with it mate.

• Like 4

There's got to be a way around this.

Steam keeps sticking my old stolen banned CD Key in and I can't get past BE. Plus I dont want Steam taking up any memory or resources while I game.

Does this help?: http://epochmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13442-how-to-new-steam-only-arma-update/

Edited by mjp808

There's got to be a way around this.

Steam keeps sticking my old stolen banned CD Key in and I can't get past BE. Plus I dont want Steam taking up any memory or resources while I game.

Does this help?: http://epochmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13442-how-to-new-steam-only-arma-update/

The "problem" is that the new 1.63 patch requires steam and is not compatible with older patches, meaning you cant join older beta servers with it.

There is no way around it atm, as far as i know, but you can easily change your CD-key in the windows registry, thats exactly how people steal it so easily :) A simple google search should get you right on track.

But as far as steam and performance goes, unless you are playing on a bamboo potato, you wont feel steam running in the background tbh.

EDIT:

Ok ive misspoken, there is a way around it.

But you will have to rollback to 1.62 beta patches and only join servers using remote IP, but BE wont be supporting it, so prepare for hack-a-mania.

Its not advisable at all, and most servers are already updated to 1.63 beta, so you cant join them.

Edited by Byrgesen

Thats the problem--everytime Steam starts up, it changes my CD key back to a stolen non-working one. I have no problem changing the key to my new working one, but if Steam keeps stepping in and changing it back when I launch Arma, I will never get in--Ideally I want to use Overpoch's CCG Launcher or DayzCommander.

Thats the problem--everytime Steam starts up, it changes my CD key back to a stolen non-working one. I have no problem changing the key to my new working one, but if Steam keeps stepping in and changing it back when I launch Arma, I will never get in--Ideally I want to use Overpoch's CCG Launcher or DayzCommander.

That i cannot answer, ive never actually changed the cd-key in my Arma II, so im at a loss for answers mate.

Perhaps google can help you.

Well then, be it known far and wide to the entire internet, all who Google these key words and end up on this thread that Steam has hijacked Arma2 and your computer(and all the other games you got through them too, probably) and gives you no choice or control and will launch itself, like all the worst spyware and adware does, when you try to launch a single independant game .exe, pulling valuable computing resources from your gaming experience, killing FPS, etc. 

Well then, be it known far and wide to the entire internet, all who Google these key words and end up on this thread that Steam has hijacked Arma2 and your computer(and all the other games you got through them too, probably) and gives you no choice or control and will launch itself, like all the worst spyware and adware does, when you try to launch a single independant game .exe, pulling valuable computing resources from your gaming experience, killing FPS, etc. 

Correction, Bohemia has done this to keep the game alive, Steam has done nothing, but providing a service to BI.

Otherwise it would die like the other 1000's of gamespy games out there mate :)

And again, unless you are playing on a potato, you wont feel steam running in the background. It requires next to no resources, when its idling in the background.

The one thing i can think off, that might help you, is going to BI forums and asking how to permanently change the CD-key so steam doesnt overwrite it every time tbh.

But you still have a choice, go back to the old betas and find a server which isnt gonna update and play on it, through direct IP connection. It still works just fine.

And i dont want to sound like a jackass, but there only one to blame for your stolen CD-key, and thats you. You are 100% responsible for your own safety on your PC and its perfectly possible to have owned Arma II for several years and never ever have gotten the key stolen.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 2

If you hadn't hacked with your old banned CD key this wouldn't be a problem to begin with.  Your only option is to start a new Steam account and re-purchase the game (or register your newer CD key with this Steam account).

• Like 1

Oh well...

http://i.imgur.com/0S5spVm.jpg

I admit somehow my key got banned, but I honestly didnt do anything nefarious to deserve it.

Steam will let you add a non-Steam Arma2OA, and add a new key--my problem is the auto-launch.

So all multiplayer WAN Arma2 and DayZ needed GameSpy to find servers? Now Steam does it? I wonder why GameSpy didn't need a local program running to work?

Anyways, last post...much ado (-doo) about squat. 1st world problems, ay gents?

I wanna play me some Overpoch!!! Hugs

post-113038-0-92327400-1408016913_thumb.

Oh well...

http://i.imgur.com/0S5spVm.jpg

I admit somehow my key got banned, but I honestly didnt do anything nefarious to deserve it.

Steam will let you add a non-Steam Arma2OA, and add a new key--my problem is the auto-launch.

So all multiplayer WAN Arma2 and DayZ needed GameSpy to find servers? Now Steam does it? I wonder why GameSpy didn't need a local program running to work?

Anyways, last post...much ado (-doo) about squat. 1st world problems, ay gents?

I wanna play me some Overpoch!!! Hugs

If you havent hacked anything, you can easily get your key stolen by downloading malicious software, like "FPS increasers" or unofficial launchers.

That is one of the major reason Arma III and DayZ SA is 100% steam dependant, it gives the user a much higher level of security, because its impossible to steal the cd-key. In fact you need to steal an entire steam account now, and that is nothing but good and much more difficult then reading the registry.

Yes Arma II's server list was running on gamespy, like 1000's of other games out there. They provided the service steam does now, nothing more tbh. With the new beta patch for Arma II OA, we got the steam browser, as an attempt to keep the game alive and give people the option to continue playing multiplayer, just like they are used to.

But if you want to keep playing Arma II OA and DayZ mod, you cannot get around the whole steam requirement, its a part of the game now, nothing to do.

If Steam is using enough resources to cause even the smallest change in performance then either you have a problem with your installation or were due an upgrade about 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Ohh btw, i figured out why your cd-key kept resetting mate.
Its because with the new 1.63 update, the registry key became obsolete and it will now use the key you have put into steam.

From BattlEye's website:

Certain users have been contacting us regarding sudden global bans since last night when a BE Client and Server update was released for ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead. To clarify, these bans are not false positives in any way.

In reality these are bans from the past that are related to the cd-key that is attached to a user's Steam account. Yesterday's update added support for old cd-key-based global bans in the new Steam version of the game (1.63). Note that with Steam the cd-key that is written to your registry is no longer relevant for authentication. Only the cd-key that is attached to your Steam account matters and like in previous game versions you will not be able to play on BE servers with a cd-key that is globally banned.

Therefore, if you previously had been using a new unbanned cd-key by writing it directly to the registry you will now have to attach it to a new Steam account to be able to play on BE servers again.

It should answer your question tbh :)

How to change the cd-key in steam, i cannot answer though.