Sign in to follow this  
Zanders

Dayz Standalone is lacking a huge core piece in my eyes.

Hello everyone.

WHen i logged back into dayz SA i got surprised that there are a few changes made to how the game feels to play and i was happy about it for a while. then i started to notice the old stuck in the stair pole, drifting movement, klunky indoor movement etc.. Still very bad and i was amazed its still there.

Anyway i kept on running around finding loot and a weapon. I kept out of sight of other players just to make sure i would stay alive as much as i could.

After about 2-3 hours i started to feel like i was just running around with no purpose i went into a house and started thinking about why i had this feeling. I could for the life of me not find anything in the game that would take my feeling away.

There is plain and simply not anything drawing me into the game. No progression what so ever.

I dont care if i have the best weapon in game or 10 can of beans and drink to last me a week.

I want to be part of a group that is doing something togheter, something meaningfull. creating something, i dunno a house or a raft to take me to an island where we could put our cabin or something and create our own little comunity within the game.

At this point this game is totally pointless. Sure i can run around kill people and be an ass and just laugh my way thru the carnage but thats only going to be fun for a few days and then i am back to where i am today.

I really wish the developers of this game dont focus on cars and boats and different items. The game really needs a deeper purpose. Something to keep people busy. Not a leveling system but something that engages a lot of people. Somethihing  you feel like you contributed to. and it needs to be solid and working great!

I want to be part of something in game, i want to interact with people in different ways like pvp, trading, services etc. I want to feel bad when i shoot someone. It is supposed to be dangerous to kill other people.

but most of all i really want to have a purpose!

Edited by Zanders
  • Like 3

Give it time, i agree with what you say. But we need to focus more on the survival aspect first before we introduce things like that. Once survival is done, then focus on those things.

• Like 4

At this point this game is totally pointless. Sure i can run around kill people and be an ass and just laugh my way thru the carnage but thats only going to be fun for a few days and then i am back to where i am today.

If you think the game is pointless right now then you aren't taking advantage of the sandbox aspect of it. If you are tired of running around killing people and being an ass, then try some other things like, helping people, being an insane person etc. The (dayz) world is your oyster.

Edit: As of now the game has plenty of point to it, you just have to craft it yourself. If you don't think the developers are doing what they need to do to make the game have more of a purpose then you should really take a look at some of the changelogs:

-Tents being added (gives people a reason to return to the same server)

-Private hives or shards (create independent servers separate from all the others that can be passworded)

There will be plenty of opportunities once these private hives are available because people will be able to create the kind of "end-game" that you appear to be looking for, whether you are establishing a community in a city, or just setting up a campsite for yourself and maintaining it.

Edited by Beck
  • Like 8

Congrats.. someone else realizes this game is a respawn shooter.

I hope more start to get it like you. Now go forth and die, rinse, repeat and have fun in DayZ. :)

Deeper survival mechanics will, in theory, give the game more flesh.

The gamespace is and has been laughably easy to survive in. You wander around two hours, then have a traumatic nerve wracking 15 second shoot out. It's heart racing. It's exhilarating. But largely monotonous. 

When the survival mechanics and environment become challenging to survive those two hours of wandering around will become more of a struggle--more engaging--- with several factors that you will constantly be battling against---hunger, thirst, core body temperature, seeking shelter, deeper crafting, ect---juggling priorities, managing risks.. There won't be any "downtime" only seeking to fulfill your next greatest need.

A harder environment will either push people together or apart. Ideally, some of both. Incentives to make some sort of group effort might one day come a long.Maintaining a vehicle, for example, might not be too easy to do alone.

I still haven't dived into this latest experimental yet, having to much fun on my current stable play through--- but some of the changes to loot and at least perceived scarcity of food are good changes. The foundations for a weather/body temp group of systems seem to be in place. Hopefully, the game will make a metamorphic transition into being more survival heavy---which seems to be the endgame vision.

Edited by Rudette

I completely agree.  I want something I can do to further my group's goals when they aren't necessarily around, also something we can all do together when they are.

Hopefully some cool base building stuff will get added, but it's taking a while.

I think tents/ persistence + vehicles will solve what you are taking about.

Doing something meaningfull as a group - Vehicles are great for that, you can all split up and look for the parts, and its a great reward if you succeed.

Carving out a community - Tens will facilitate that a bit, add barricading and you can make a nice place to call home. With a group that can grow fast, but as is the nature of the game it can all be lost in an instant. We even getting horticulture to add to that now.

Trading - That's already in, I like that its not all packaged....like enter trade mode and no one can shoot or something. Adding items only increases the trading options.

Services - Say you fix a car, or heli then you can offer transport. Its risky as hell but again I like that ist realistic, at any time you could be backstabbed. That helps towards the tension and fear.

I want all the same things in game, I just think that the current plan will deliver it all  :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

Yeah, it feels like they focusing to much in the re-playability value at the moment.. but not so much in the actual "playability" of the game. The game needs things to aim for, and an end game... and don't give the "sandbox" thing, even the most popular sandbox games have and end game, a plenty of things to do and to try to achieve.

Server communities will probably have a profound impact. And server persistent features are the early foundations for that.

I really don't get why these people think "cars and boats" will make all that difference. If they added them what would keep you from getting the feeling that there is "nothing drawing you into the game" then? Why would cars and boats make such a big difference to you?

I am really curious. Because this is being thrown around a lot by former mod players as being, well the end game to use a tired old cliché. But why? As soon as vehicles are in, and as soon as you have tried assembling them and driving them around for a bit, what is stopping you from getting bored? I really don't get this. In my view this is like askiing for a new hat, or a new gun, and saying this is really all the game needs to be perfect. This is not what makes the game interesting. What makes the game interesting is whether you can still get that feeling of exploration when meeting new players. You may have experienced that feeling back in 2012, and never since. I guess if that is the case, "cars and boats" are not going to make you relive it. You have grown calluses and become old and world weary regarding this game. There is really not much to be done about that.

Cars and boats will eventually be in the game. But when they fail to satisfy your gaming experience, please take into consideration your previous condition, and that it may not be a problem to other players. Other mod players who managed to get a kick out of meeting other players in the game even after all this time, as well as new players, who have yet to even experience the sense of repetition you might feel, when playing this game.

This problem of old mod players being burned out on the game seems to be a recurring one, at least it seems so from many many posts on these forums and elsewhere. But you have to realise that this is your personal subjective problem, dependent on your approach and your experience with this game. And that this is far from necessarily the same with most of the other players playing this game.

• Like 4

Right now there is a point. 

The point, at least right now, is to find errors and glitches and exploits and then to report those on the bug tracker. 

The game is in the process of being developed so that is what we are here to do, assist in that development not run around being murderers or bandits or sadistic cretins like maybe 99% of people do here.   Like it or not this is what you signed on for, so be part of the 1%, go forth, be a good Starship Trooper and Do Your Part. 

If that isn't your thing, well ok, then you are right.

• Like 8

The gamespace is and has been laughably easy to survive in. You wander around two hours, then have a traumatic nerve wracking 15 second shoot out. It's heart racing. It's exhilarating. But largely monotonous. 

That, pretty much, is life anyway, if you think about it.

• Like 2

That, pretty much, is life anyway, if you think about it.

I feel you there, Nietzsche! But damn it, I don't play games for real life!!!111!

I play games so I don't have to hurt real people.

>.>

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

Exactly what Barnabus said. And on top of that, ultimately, the best content will always be created by other players. Even when they add thousands of zeds per city, it is only fun if there are other players. Because only other players can act randomly and make new content. Zeds will always behave in a given way and things like fixing a car or getting to a place is just some amount of work you need to do, not new thinking.

I really don't get why these people think "cars and boats" will make all that difference. If they added them what would keep you from getting the feeling that there is "nothing drawing you into the game" then? Why would cars and boats make such a big difference to you?

I am really curious. Because this is being thrown around a lot by former mod players as being, well the end game to use a tired old cliché. But why? As soon as vehicles are in, and as soon as you have tried assembling them and driving them around for a bit, what is stopping you from getting bored? I really don't get this. In my view this is like askiing for a new hat, or a new gun, and saying this is really all the game needs to be perfect. This is not what makes the game interesting. What makes the game interesting is whether you can still get that feeling of exploration when meeting new players. You may have experienced that feeling back in 2012, and never since. I guess if that is the case, "cars and boats" are not going to make you relive it. You have grown calluses and become old and world weary regarding this game. There is really not much to be done about that.

Cars and boats will eventually be in the game. But when they fail to satisfy your gaming experience, please take into consideration your previous condition, and that it may not be a problem to other players. Other mod players who managed to get a kick out of meeting other players in the game even after all this time, as well as new players, who have yet to even experience the sense of repetition you might feel, when playing this game.

This problem of old mod players being burned out on the game seems to be a recurring one, at least it seems so from many many posts on these forums and elsewhere. But you have to realise that this is your personal subjective problem, dependent on your approach and your experience with this game. And that this is far from necessarily the same with most of the other players playing this game.

I don't think cars and boats is an "end game" for a game like DayZ.. Should be something more in the lines of becoming the "Governor" of a community of survivors ... or building a safe heaven for people, maybe even finding a cure for the infection. But a car ?.. no,no,no.. that won't work.

To add on to my previous you can also make your own quests. 

-Today I shall conduct "Quest for Can Opener"

-I have a Makarov but no magazine, I shall go hunt for one.

-I have not made an improvised back pack from boar skin, I shall do that today, while I am at it I will cook my pork chops and bacon.

-I shall do all this while circumnavigating the map with out getting too hungry, being dehydrated, checking all major cities along the way and not getting killed by some schmuck with an axe on the whole trip.

And no. I dont care if its alpha. There is no underlying plan as of yet to add something that  will make people feel as if they are a part of something bigger in game, well unless you roleplay that your a can of beans reseller or something :)

I remember reading that someone had a vision of dayz being more of a mmo survival game than a pvp shooter and i am nervous that the person who said that has forgotten his vision! Seriously i have more fun in minecraft right now!

Edited by Zanders

Right now there is a point.

The point, at least right now, is to find errors and glitches and exploits and then to report those on the bug tracker.

The game is in the process of being developed so that is what we are here to do, assist in that development not run around being murderers or bandits or sadistic cretins like maybe 99% of people do here. Like it or not this is what you signed on for, so be part of the 1%, go forth, be a good Starship Trooper and Do Your Part.

If that isn't your thing, well ok, then you are right.

I must respectfully disagree.

We are PLAYERS, not developers. I usually turn a blind eye to the "Alpha-ers", but this I can't. I agree that we did pay money for a game knowing there would be major issues, and that one of the purposes of an early access game is to report issues.

I get that. But we're PLAYERS, not developers. Me, along with 99% of early access players, bought this game because we want to PLAY it, not develop it. Yes, we'll help with our reports and suggestions, but I'm not a developer. I don't know a single thing about game development. We paid money to PLAY a game... We did NOT invest in the development of a game, because if that's all I cared about, I would have purchase stock in their company.

Edited by Chepaco
  • Like 1

I agree that we did pay money for a game knowing there would be major issues, and that one of the purposes of an early access game is to report issues.

I've always thought of Early Access as a form of crowd funding.. Where in you pay to be a tester first, a player second.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

I must respectfully disagree.

We are PLAYERS, not developers. I usually turn a blind eye to the "Alpha-ers", but this I can't. I agree that we did pay money for a game knowing there would be major issues, and that one of the purposes of an early access game is to report issues.

I get that. But we're PLAYERS, not developers. Me, along with 99% of early access players, bought this game because we want to PLAY it, not develop it. Yes, we'll help with our reports and suggestions, but I'm not a developer. I don't know a single thing about game development. We paid money to PLAY a game... We did NOT invest in the development of a game, because if that's all I cared about, I would have purchase stock in their company.

Then sir, all I can do is refer you to this forum.  http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/6794-i-give-up-this-game-is-bull-i-want-my-money-back/

• Like 1

I've always thought of Early Access as a form of crowd funding.. Where in you pay to be a tester first, a player second.

I'd say we're more like guinea pigs rather than testers. People pay money so that they can play the game, not test them. I certainly didn't pay a $30 fee to be a developer.

Edited by Chepaco

And no. I dont care if its alpha. There is no underlying plan as of yet to add something that  will make people feel as if they are a part of something bigger in game, well unless you roleplay that your a can of beans reseller or something :)

I remember reading that someone had a vision of dayz being more of a mmo survival game than a pvp shooter and i am nervous that the person who said that has forgotten his vision! Seriously i have more fun in minecraft right now!

Do i think DayZ will be better off as a Sandbox survival mmo ? Hell yeah ! But..people with that vision are giving up.. the game is heading in the direction of a PvP sandbox... :(

I actually having fun building worlds for my kids in Disney infinity right now...and.. worrisomely i enjoying that.. getting addicted to it.. :blush:

I just dont understand, do you read "Early Alpha Access" before you start playing? This is not even a game for me, i am playing "this" but this is not a game mate! Go play finished game :)

• Like 1

I'd say we're more like guinea pigs rather than testers. People pay money so that they can play the game, not test them. I certainly didn't pay a $30 fee to be a developer.

There is a clear distinction between developer and tester! ;p

A developer develops...Different people with different specialized tasks. (Programmers, render artists, texture people, sound people, ect)

A tester.. Tests. Pokes at the world. Prods it. Plays it extensively. Looks for bugs...or just happens across them. Reporting those bugs is the extent of the tester's reach in development.

And well.. If you didn't put your 30$ down to do that you either didn't read nor care what Early Access means and just wanted to play or maybe you just bought it because everyone else was doing it >.>

Do read the warning label next time. Wrapped in pretty words and marketing bravado as the Early Access description and explanation may be, it's still a fair warning!

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 2