Sign in to follow this  
Rigor Mortis (DayZ)

[Suggestion] Add 'disabled' state.

I was reading yet another 'I want to know how I died' thread today, and I had this idea.  People can be injured severely but not go unconscious or die.  Perhaps there should be other states in the 'alive unconscious dead' system that we have now to illustrate those... here's a couple ideas:

Full paralysis: Player can see from their character's point of view, cannot move the camera at all... respawn option becomes available but a player could sit and watch what happens to their character in this case, at least marginally.

Neck-down paralysis: Player can see and move the camera as though they were holding 'alt' but cannot use any items or move. Respawn option becomes available but player can move talk to people who approach and move their head.

Very weak: Player can roll over (slowly), look around, talk.  Stopping bleeding and healing up could completely heal the player so no respawn option here.

I could probably go on, but you get the idea.  If a player were seriously injured and bleeding, they would still eventually go unconscious and die... but this would add another dimension to being seriously injured.  I mean, if you jump off a building, unless it was really high you probably won't die instantly... you might be stuck staring at the horrified onlookers for a while until you bleed out.  Man would it suck if someone came up and stopped the bleeding on you when you were neck-down paralyzed....thus the reason I said 'respawn' should be enabled.

• Like 4

Why not? For people who like to persist in a quasi-dead way. As long as you get the respawn option its fine. I would also like to keep the respawn option restriced to such states meaning if you drop unconscious you can only use the respawn button if you would not wake up on your own (= low on blood). This also helps players to differentiate between "unconscious and waiting to get up again" and "unconscious and hoping for someone to rescue me who will probably never appear".

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 2

Very weak: Player can roll over (slowly), look around, talk.  Stopping bleeding and healing up could completely heal the player so no respawn option here

I'd love to see this in-game, just one problem.. I'm sure most of the DayZ community would disagree with this, just because they think this game is a open world death match. Not everyone plays this for the survival aspect sadly..

EDIT: I'm not saying the survival play-style is the only way to play, I'm just saying not enough people play that way to please the community.

Edited by MadWookie

I'd love to see this in-game, just one problem.. I'm sure most of the DayZ community would disagree with this, just because they think this game is a open world death match. Not everyone plays this for the survival aspect sadly..

EDIT: I'm not saying the survival play-style is the only way to play, I'm just saying not enough people play that way to please the community.

Well, so far 2 of 2 responses were positive for this -- no need to speak for the community when we can all speak for ourselves :D

• Like 1

no need to speak for the community when we can all speak for ourselves :D

True enough I suppose..

True enough I suppose..

You had a valid point - I'm sure there are plenty of kiddies raging about this post that won't respond b/c they don't want to reveal their desire to turn DayZ into CoDZ.  If they don't respond tho it helps my case and I prefer the game to have more survival aspects :D

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

I think the injury and medical system needs to be completely overhauled TBH.

• Like 1

Not sure about the paralysis thing, but the weakened state is interesting.

I personally would like this idea, if there would be the option to respawn at (nearly) any given time.

Why?

Well, DayZ is also played a lot by casual-gamers. And they want to experience "action", and don't want to lie on the ground, or just rob around and "beg" other players.

I, personally, wouldn't like to experience all this stuff ;) (very exhausted is OK, but everything worse than that:

pmjdu4ct1j3r.gif)

If you give players the option to get off this "truck-to-hell", it would be good.

The ones, who want to play the game very serious and accurate can go all through these states, but those, who want to focus on other things (gearing up, hunting, PVP-ing, building a base, etc.)

Edited by irishroy

I personally would like this idea, if there would be the option to respawn at (nearly) any given time.

Why?

Well, DayZ is also played a lot by casual-gamers. And they want to experience "action", and don't want to lie on the ground, or just rob around and "beg" other players.

I, personally, wouldn't like to experience all this stuff ;) (very exhausted is OK, but everything worse than that:

pmjdu4ct1j3r.gif)

If you give players the option to get off this "truck-to-hell", it would be good.

The ones, who want to play the game very serious and accurate can go all through these states, but those, who want to focus on other things (gearing up, hunting, PVP-ing, building a base, etc.)

I enjoy the giant "no" banner when you're agreeing with everything in the OP.

I enjoy the giant "no" banner when you're agreeing with everything in the OP.

Sorry, man  ;) I must have missed the "respawn-option" in the second suggestion (neck down, etc.)

I just wanted to emphasize, that "respawn" should be posible at any given time for players, who don't want to "play" this out.

Edited by irishroy

Sorry, man  ;) I must have missed the "respawn-option" in the second suggestion (neck down, etc.)

I just wanted to emphasize, that "respawn" should be posible at any given time for players, who don't want to "play" this out.

I'm with you on that :D  You should never be stuck just sitting there with no way to off yourself.

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

I think the injury and medical system needs to be completely overhauled TBH.

In a few of the pre-release videos I've watched Dean said there would be things such as "limping when you have a broken leg instead of crawling and other things to show your health state." (not an exact quote but something along those lines).

& Come on mosley, you of all people should know this is still Alpher and almost everything will change ;)