kll4

Renaming game modes is a bad idea

I hope that its the start of a server setting panel in the browser. if it is I hope that...

A, That becomes an icon

B, Another icon is added that indicates Hardcore or Regular

That way server admins can run whatever they want. HC gameplay with 3pp, HC 1st only, Reg gameplay 3pp and Reg 1st only. Your char could swap to and from servers with diff perspective, but only within there own difficulty.

I know it sounds like a lot but that's only 2 server settings :)

Can we confirm that HC 1st and 3rd servers will share characters? I always thought they might stay separate...

Can we confirm that HC 1st and 3rd servers will share characters? I always thought they might stay separate...

My post is pure speculation....iv not read anything to that effect..

Its just how I hope they structure it ;)

I honestly think that this is a step in the wrong direction. The dev team has the chance to differentiate these 2 game modes further than just by first person and third person camera view.

In my opinion there are be lots of more differentiation options for the dev team to efficiently target the 2 main player groups until private hives are implemented, the "Hardcore" player who aims for realism authencity and roleplay and then the "Regular" player who often plays casually and likes the PVP aspect of the game more than the survival aspect.

To target these main player groups, the devs should reserve themselves the option to differentiate the game modes by keeping the names "Regular" and "Hardcore" instead of renaming them to

"Third person" and "First person" indicating that this would be the only difference between the 2 game modes.

And if there are no differences than the camera view at the moment then the devs should at least keep the option of naming the game modes "Regular" and "Hardcore" in the back of their head if further differences between the game modes are implemented.

What you call "...the "Hardcore" player who aims for realism authencity and roleplay and then the "Regular" player who often plays casually and likes the PVP aspect of the game more than the survival aspect" are simply not divided like that.

I hate 3pp, that's it. Imo it it is a crutch that results in many undesireable effects in pvp, the worst in breaching houses (seeing someone coming in, lining up the shot,...), camping on roofs (totally invisible),...you get the picture. Even when both opponents see each other, it often results in the one dying that decides to move first, it creates stalemates you don't have when you need to show your head to look around. I hate it so much, I would probably not even play DayZ any more if it were not for 1pp only servers. I want the exact same game, only restricted to 1pp. That's it.

A "real" hardcore is such a thing. Forcing me into funny things like "real" hardcore is not something I want simply to have my beloved 1pp only. What will that "real" hardcore be? No cursor for aiming? Great! There is one guy I know who plays BF3 hardcore - non cursor. And what does he do? Mark the middle of his screen with a thread. Wonderful, now he is using a cheat that neither Battleeye or VAC will ever find that gives him an extreme advantage. Nevertheless I read several times here that ppl want that in the "real" hardcore, so it is more realistic. No, thank you. I don't want to mark the middle of my screen and be a cheater OR have an extreme disadvantage because I refuse to do so.

Maybe hardcore will be something I will love, don't know, it's all speculation. But again, I want the normal game in 1pp only, too. Every single one of our "First Person" players - thank god for the rename - simply hates 3pp because of what it does in PvP. Ok, admittedly there is one who enjoys both. And not one of those "First Person" players has ever said anything like "oooh, I'm so excited for when hardcore gets real hardcore and I can fulfill all my hardcore roleplaying fantasies and go all realistic/authentic in the woods".

I don't think the name change is permanent, rather it just reflects how the modes differ at the very moment. Surely many casuals will hop to regular only because it appears to them that hardcore should be somewhat difficult and not meant for casual players. Once they see it's the same DayZ, just restricted to 1st person, perhaps they'll decide it fits them better?

I had real trouble getting hardcore players for our group, several regular players asked, what all those things are that make it harder and were supprised when no 3pp was the only thing. Not everyone, even ppl that play many hours and know the game, spends all his/her time on forums and asks all those weird questions like we do. Many just play the game (like most do with other games) and never even try that "elitist" hardcore mode that is obviously there for those strange super-freaks.

I hope that its the start of a server setting panel in the browser. if it is I hope that...

A, That becomes an icon

B, Another icon is added that indicates Hardcore or Regular

That way server admins can run whatever they want. HC gameplay with 3pp, HC 1st only, Reg gameplay 3pp and Reg 1st only. Your char could swap to and from servers with diff perspective, but only within there own difficulty.

I know it sounds like a lot but that's only 2 server settings :)

And that is, what would solve all the problems for me, BEANS YOU GET FOR STATING THE (actually quite obvious) SOLUTION! Well, the swapping char thing is not really neccessary though...

EDIT: Sorry if this is too ranty, but for me it seems neccessary. The idea of playing normal DayZ meaning being forced to accept 3pp makes my blood boil.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

What you call "...the "Hardcore" player who aims for realism authencity and roleplay and then the "Regular" player who often plays casually and likes the PVP aspect of the game more than the survival aspect" are simply not divided like that.

I hate 3pp, that's it. Imo it it is a crutch that results in many undesireable effects in pvp, the worst in breaching houses (seeing someone coming in, lining up the shot,...), camping on roofs (totally invisible),...you get the picture. Even when both opponents see each other, it often results in the one dying that decides to move first, it creates stalemates you don't have when you need to show your head to look around. I hate it so much, I would probably not even play DayZ any more if it were not for 1pp only servers. I want the exact same game, only restricted to 1pp. That's it.

A "real" hardcore is such a thing. Forcing me into funny things like "real" hardcore is not something I want simply to have my beloved 1pp only. What will that "real" hardcore be? No cursor for aiming? Great! There is one guy I know who plays BF3 hardcore - non cursor. And what does he do? Mark the middle of his screen with a thread. Wonderful, now he is using a cheat that neither Battleeye or VAC will ever find that gives him an extreme advantage. Nevertheless I read several times here that ppl want that in the "real" hardcore, so it is more realistic. No, thank you. I don't want to mark the middle of my screen and be a cheater OR have an extreme disadvantage because I refuse to do so.

Maybe hardcore will be something I will love, don't know, it's all speculation. But again, I want the normal game in 1pp only, too. Every single one of our "First Person" players - thank god for the rename - simply hates 3pp because of what it does in PvP. Ok, admittedly there is one who enjoys both. And not one of those "First Person" players has ever said anything like "oooh, I'm so excited for when hardcore gets real hardcore and I can fulfill all my hardcore roleplaying fantasies and go all realistic/authentic in the woods".

I had real trouble getting hardcore players for our group, several regular players asked, what all those things are that make it harder and were supprised when no 3pp was the only thing. Not everyone, even ppl that play many hours and know the game, spends all his/her time on forums and asks all those weird questions like we do. Many just play the game (like most do with other games) and never even try that "elitist" hardcore mode that is obviously there for those strange super-freaks.

And that is, what would solve all the problems for me, BEANS YOU GET FOR STATING THE (actually quite obvious) SOLUTION! Well, the swapping char thing is not really neccessary though...

EDIT: Sorry if this is too ranty, but for me it seems neccessary. The idea of playing normal DayZ meaning being forced to accept 3pp makes my blood boil.

As one who enjoys both modes I agree with u we need a non Hardcore exp for first and third person and the a hardcore mode for boh types.

This way u can enjoy all game modes with angle u like most.

Personally I never play FPS games except or HC modes cause there is no BS 360 no scope after u have unloaded in some kids back. Dayz is already hardcore compared to most those games but I yearn for the challenge of an even harder Dayz :)

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

God, OP thanks for making this topic. Everytime I try to explain to shitters on reddit that difference between hardcore and casual isn't only "first person" vs "third person" I get death threats from 12 year olds who played 3 pp babycore all their life. They literally are immune to reason. Hardcore is at least 5 times harder, especially in firefigths and stalking/noticing others because of the limited camera view instead of having 270 degree eagle vision from above when you can see over walls and fences..

Developers once again try to DUMB DOWN the game for clueless teenagers forgetting the essence of the game (so to speak). Next thing we will see they will remove hardcore entirely because of the lack of full servers. It is surely a step.. not a step, a whole LEAP to wrong direction. I expect they will bring back normal crosshair so that shitters in 3pp could accurately kill people from third person view. Fuck the guy whoever done this to server list, seriously.

It is no longer DayZ but SIMS simulator with weapons.

Edited by MaxRain

Developers once again try to DUMB DOWN the game for clueless teenagers forgetting the essence of the game (so to speak). Next thing we will see they will remove hardcore entirely because of the lack of full servers. It is surely a step.. not a step, a whole LEAP to wrong direction. I expect they will bring back normal crosshair so that shitters in 3pp could accurately kill people from third person view. Fuck the guy whoever done this to server list, seriously.

Well I'm a teenager, I'm not clueless, and I usually play on hardcore servers because I don't like people being able to see me over walls. I'd play regular mode more if they did the thing where things you can't see in first person are invisible in third.

And as a follow up point, someone said earlier in the thread that it's because the only difference between hardcore and regular servers is the camera angle. However, I'm with you on the fact that the one difference completely changes how people play the game. For now, I'm fine with the name change. Maybe this will confuse people into playing first-person servers more.

• Like 2

God, OP thanks for making this topic. Everytime I try to explain to shitters on reddit that difference between hardcore and casual isn't only "first person" vs "third person" I get death threats from 12 year olds who played 3 pp babycore all their life. They literally are immune to reason. Hardcore is at least 5 times harder, especially in firefigths and stalking/noticing others because of the limited camera view instead of having 270 degree eagle vision from above when you can see over walls and fences..

I think you are quite wrong. While I agree there are some advantages to 3Pp over fps I dont think the devs are so against FPS only modes.

Calling it HC was dumb and gives players big heads...a real hardcore mode should be more then just a change of perspective.

The fact this thread exists shows that HC was just creating a schism. "Im hard core bad ass cause I play FPS only and the rest of u suck ass" type of comments. When all ur doing is roll FPS.

The devs have removed 0 content away from the game with this admin type change...but people are upset....

I think the change is great it opens up an opportunity for a real hardcore mode without forcing this who want to play FPS only to also play what players like I want in a real hard mode. Heck it even allows for hard mode 3pp.

No on will remove the FPS only option...it is just preventing a key press after all...not like it takes extra work to maintain it.

As long as there is demand for it there will be servers for it. I enjoy both modes for different reasons and I would rent a FPS only server if no one else hosted one nd I guarantee u more people would be waiting to join it than any other server in the game in that scenario

Pressing "tab" let's you observe your character/gear. As someone who role plays I can say that I find 1pp much more immersive. After all, I dont view my life from 3ft behind and above me. If something like the 4th wall mod was implemented, I wouldn't mind 3pp at all. It's just that as it is right now, the exploiting of the camera makes it lame. But no one wants that solution, because then they wouldn't be able to look around corners with the camera.

That's great that you prefer that way, but other people prefer other ways and there's nothing wrong/right about either.  They got both options so everyone should be happy.

There's a long history of people rping in games that aren't set in first person only.  Ultima Online had tons of RP and I felt much more immersed in that game at times than I have in some other games.  I played SWG in third person as well, and had fun RPing a weird ass alien.  For me, roleplaying is about projecting yourself into a character, so perspective hardly matters.

That's great that you prefer that way, but other people prefer other ways and there's nothing wrong/right about either.  They got both options so everyone should be happy.

There's a long history of people rping in games that aren't set in first person only.  Ultima Online had tons of RP and I felt much more immersed in that game at times than I have in some other games.  I played SWG in third person as well, and had fun RPing a weird ass alien.  For me, roleplaying is about projecting yourself into a character, so perspective hardly matters.

Perspective matters greatly to me in a game like Dayz, especially because of the nature of the combat tactics used in pvp. I feel I have helped to de-rail this thread, and I think the 3pp vs. 1pp talk should be eliminated before this topic sends another thread to the graveyard.

As far as the OP is concerned- I wonder how HC and RG servers will be differentiated in the server browser when an actual HC mode exists.

Naw its a good move.

They should just focus on making one coherent game mode that is the same regardless of the perspective.

You also risk alienating people who only want to play regular but hate the corner peeking and wall cheating that is rampant in 3rd person view.

• Like 1

2 things I find funny...

1) There have been no complaints that 1st person is still available on 3rd person servers.

2) When you join a 3rd person server your default view is 1st person

PS. I play in 1st person on both 1st person and 3rd person servers. That's right, I said it.

im happy they changed  it,  i suggested this . hardcore is not good name

Yea right, and SATAN is conspiring to destwoy your gaming experience!

Most retarded post Ive seen in a while, and that says something considering I read the OPs post.

Also there will never exist an actual HC mode, what is wrong with you people? Why would they add a mode that is "harder" somehow? They wouldnt, because that would mean that non-hc is easier, and that defeats the purpose of DayZ. The low survival difficulty won't stay forever, they'll change it eventually and there is no room for an easier experience.

Edited by Khanarac