Sign in to follow this  
glemmar

Is item damage OP?

This has bothered me for quite sometime now. I think the damage that items take is way off balance at the moment. I know this isn't a game breaking (GAEM IS BROKENED ROCKT PLZ L2T CODE & FIX DA GAAMZZ HURR DURR!!11!) thing, but it still bothers me.

Your gear gets ruined way too easily. Sometimes it feels like that just one hit from a zombie is enough to tear through your vest and jacket and also destroy half the items within them, but the biggest problem is bullets. Yesterday one of my crew managed to confuse me to a zombie and shot me in the back with an AKM (honestly... some of the people I play with... one of these days...) and that one bullet ruined my backpack, vest, jacket, pants and about 90% of the items within these. What I was left with was one protector case, few rounds of ammo, shoes, hat and few bits and pieces of random items. I agree that if you spray&pray someone then his items should definetly take equalent amount of damage, but just one bullet to the back and everything you, your children and your grandchildren have gets obliterated is bit too much. Also I wouldn't consider a jacket, backpack, pants or a vest with one bullet hole in it "ruined".

But like I said, this is not a "rokit plz fix da gaem" -thread or anything like that, I just want to know the general oppinion of other DayZ players about this matter and how you would do it better.

• Like 4

I feel that yes, it is currently over powered. But, I would say like many others, no not (ITS PRE ALPHA BRAH Y U FUK WIT DE GAME IT ALPHA BREH), But yes it is pre-alpha. Kinks as these will be most certainly worked on AND fixed. As you mentioned no, it is not gamebreaking. But it certainly can affect a normal players view. Besides. If we were going for realism. A fucking akm should would fuck your spine up pretty good. But most certainly do I agree with you 100%. It is a problem. And it needs work. But all in due time. This game will achieve its glory, as it did with DayZ Mod. The Pre-Alpha backers stand tall to say this game will be fixed. And will work. GLORY TO PRE-ALPHERNANIANS. But all in due time. 

-J

Yesterday one of my crew managed to confuse me to a zombie and shot me in the back with an AKM (honestly... some of the people I play with... one of these days...)

I'd like to call him an idiot, but seeing how I axed a friend of mine yesterday I should probably just keep quiet. Fortunately his favorite pair of binoculars took the brunt of the blow.

Anyhow - I can see how the item damage is a bit too high atm. With the current zombie situation, your shirt turns into a place where items go to die.

It does, however, give me stuff to do. Once the game has more things to keep me occupied (diseases, cars, bases) I wouldn't mind seeing item damage nerfed a bit.

• Like 3

that 1 bullet hole will be small on one end, and have a whole lot of hip, organs and whatever contents of your backpack it dragged through you on the other side.  It should be a little larger there too. Your blood is going to ruin stuff too like your bandages, may be an issue for ammunition, and open food etc.

TBH i don't have too much of a problem with this, as when i get hit, it's usually death anyway.  Also need to keep a degree of difficulty and risk involved in confrontations.  Attackers risk losing both their gear if hit, and the gear on the player, and also gives more reward to skill/headshots.  I'll admit it's not totally realistic, but then i've never been shot while carrying half a walmart on my back.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

Yeah, I def. feel like the bullet damage towards items is messed up at the moment.

For example: a little bullet scraping the side of your backpack should not DESTROY 90% of the contents of the backpack along with other items in clothing.

that 1 bullet hole will be small on one end, and have a whole lot of hip, organs and whatever contents of your backpack it dragged through you on the other side.  It should be a little larger there too. Your blood is going to ruin stuff too like your bandages, may be an issue for ammunition, and open food etc.

TBH i don't have too much of a problem with this, as when i get hit, it's usually death anyway.  Also need to keep a degree of difficulty and risk involved in confrontations.  Attackers risk losing both their gear if hit, and the gear on the player, and also gives more reward to skill/headshots.  I'll admit it's not totally realistic, but then i've never been shot while carrying half a walmart on my back.

I feel like this topic was mostly about zombie damage to items, of course if you get shot most of your gear is going to be ruined (depending on the bullet and how many times you were shot, and where). 

I agree the item damage really needs nerfed for zombies and low caliber bullets. Also, the fact that when you break you legs, doesn't matter how, everything in your pants becomes ruined, I'd like to see stuff become "Damaged" or "Badly Damaged" depending on what hits you, rather than ruined.

Edited by MadWookie

I feel that yes, it is currently over powered. But, I would say like many others, no not (ITS PRE ALPHA BRAH Y U FUK WIT DE GAME IT ALPHA BREH), But yes it is pre-alpha. Kinks as these will be most certainly worked on AND fixed.

Yeah that is pretty much what I think. This is not that serious issue that it needs to be addressed right now and I would expect them to balance this later on down the development. Just wanted to pour out feelings about this and hear what other people think about it.

I'd like to call him an idiot, but seeing how I axed a friend of mine yesterday I should probably just keep quiet.

Back in the mod, same guy was aiming at my head while I was afk and he mixed up the left and right mouse button (I not f'ng kidding here!), and instead of lowering his aim, he shot me at point blank range. Mad skills.

I forgot to mention that I didn't even start bleeding because of it, but anyway, I know and understand this, but I still think that not everything you have is going to get ruined because of one gun shot. Also how do you explain that my pants also got ruined when I got shot? Unless I went into a shock and s**t in my pants, which still wouldn't explane how the items in the pockets got ruined. You wouldn't throw away your mobile phone just because you pooped into your pants, right?

I feel like this topic was mostly about zombie damage to items, of course if you get shot most of your gear is going to be ruined (depending on the bullet and how many times you were shot, and where). 

This topic is about the item damage in general, may it be zombies, bullets or fall damage, which by the way ruins your pants and shoes for some odd reason...

But yeah the zombie damage is also bit crazy because sometimes they do no damage to your gear but then on other times one hit is all it takes to ruin your day.

They are super zombies from planet krypton, they run faster than any human, glide across a field in one swoop, and can see through solid objects, look it's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's super zombies.

They are super zombies from planet krypton, they run faster than any human, glide across a field in one swoop, and can see through solid objects, look it's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's super zombies.

Actually, if you run without a gun in your hand, you can out run the standing zombies, don't know about the crouchy ones though.

Do items right now have an individual durability? I once had a compass ruined in a zombie fight and ever since then I'm sure to close the compass lid because I figured that'd make it more resistant to getting smashed. I like items getting trashed as a result of damage but I do agree that it's a system that could probably use more tweaking. Bullet damage is probably the most interesting because I feel it should only hit a few things but what it does hit it should destroy. Maybe your backpack gets shot and it ruins your tuna or maybe it ruins your gas stove (oh my) but it shouldn't necessarily ruin both.

I feel its different depending on the aspect which is probably caused by the "work in progress" property:

• items stay "pristine" way too long but degrade too fast from "worn" to "ruined"
  • ruining items by shooting someone is a good thing, however
  • worn clothing gets ruined too fast when shot (should stay longer in "damaged" or "badly damaged" state)
  • ruining clothing should not ruin all items inside (instead it may cause them to get dropped)
  • blunt/piercing melee destroys clothing and the items inside too quickly (depending on the items in question)
  • sharp melee is generally fine but suffers from destroying too many items by ruining the clothes
  • falling damage is too destructive to clothing (destroying some more vulnerable items in your inventory is fine though)
Edited by Evil Minion

Agreed.

I don't understand how a zombie, or rather an infected person, has the power to destroy a leather jacket by slapping it a couple times. Same with military vests. And show me one person on this planet that can damage a 357 magnum by hitting it with their hands. =P

So yeah, it needs work. But this to me is much less important than many other things in the game. All in due time.