WhoTookItGuys

Are all DayZ videos alike? - Discussion

Since i was little i've been interested in online multiplayer games. When me and my friends were 11-12 years old we got into WoW and also all the community made content. I remember we all looked up to a couple of different players who'd made PVP videos, and that's all we'd talk about day in day out. I still play with my childhood friends and we've been through alot of different games over the years, and also the process above, glorying different players/clans who made interesting and skillful videos. DayZ videos however seem to mostly follow a strict pattern or template.

"- Nice video but you should try to make it 20 minutes long"

I see comments like this on short DayZ videos ALL the time. I've even seen youtubers with 5 figure subs talk about this struggle.

"- You should have commentary!"

People prefer commentary over music these dayz. What happened? Microphones got cheaper, music got worse? Maybe copyrights tightend up...

Now don't get me wrong. There's alot of interesting content out there, and the time being put into it is just... amazing! Personally i just think most videos are too long and slow paced, to the point where it gets boring. I've tried to do something different myself and edit my footage into a compilation or montage. I'm curious to if this is something people want to watch, i've had no response yet, please tell me what you think about the video style AND the subject...

Compilation 1 (Aware of saturation problems) Compilation 2

TL;DR | All DayZ videos seems to follow the same pattern on demand from the audience, but i'm no big fan.

• Like 1

Well, like with any content on the web: most of it isn't worth taking the time to download it but it's about the 1% that is.

Well, I didn't watch the first video really (the saturation just made it really hard; at least you know about the issue), but the second one was pretty cool! I liked all of the action, and I liked how you quickly transitioned from one scene to the next. I also liked the music; in videos of this type, I really like having a music track in the background, while still being able to hear the sounds from the game (and from VoIP) clearly (too many people that use music just lay it over the top of everything, so it's all you hear). The track also seemed very fitting for the action, for some reason. Well done!

Edited by Mancomb

Well, like with any content on the web: most of it isn't worth taking the time to download it but it's about the 1% that is.

That is true. The thing that facsinate me is that there's so much of this 20min commentary episode content, meaning that there's got to be demand of it. No other game have so many people watching such decent content, i think.

Mancomb thanks for the feedback im really glad you liked the second one. For the 1st one i screwed up the rendering options. The first scenes are the worst. Also i'd say it's quite different from the second one.

I actually enjoy shorter edited videos like this or this as well as commentary especially if its useful. However jumping right into the action (as done with the OP videos) makes me feel like I missed something - why are you shooting these guys exactly?

Just gameplay footage is seldom worth watching for me because I can have this by starting a game on my own. And music usually makes the video unwatchable because of the media censorship in my country.

You play regular, that makes it unlikley to watch for me. But most of the time you couldnt benefit from 3rd person so its kind of okay. Was entertaining. We don't necessary need commentary, I prefer to hear the TS talk.

You clearly know what you are doing, thats a big plus. Most youtubers and streamers are baaaaaad players. That Sporterheadshot was golden :)

Edited by Khanarac

Since i was little i've been interested in online multiplayer games. When me and my friends were 11-12 years old we got into WoW and also all the community made content. I remember we all looked up to a couple of different players who'd made PVP videos, and that's all we'd talk about day in day out. I still play with my childhood friends and we've been through alot of different games over the years, and also the process above, glorying different players/clans who made interesting and skillful videos. DayZ videos however seem to mostly follow a strict pattern or template.

I see comments like this on short DayZ videos ALL the time. I've even seen youtubers with 5 figure subs talk about this struggle.

People prefer commentary over music these dayz. What happened? Microphones got cheaper, music got worse? Maybe copyrights tightend up...

Now don't get me wrong. There's alot of interesting content out there, and the time being put into it is just... amazing! Personally i just think most videos are too long and slow paced, to the point where it gets boring. I've tried to do something different myself and edit my footage into a compilation or montage. I'm curious to if this is something people want to watch, i've had no response yet, please tell me what you think about the video style AND the subject...

Compilation 1 (Aware of saturation problems) Compilation 2TL;DR | All DayZ videos seems to follow the same pattern on demand from the audience, but i'm no big fan.

I hate seing videos that have music instead of commentary. Music creates atmosphere but it should never replace good commentary. If i see a video with music pretty much blotting out the story that the video is trying to tell i just think to myself "scared of your own voice or something?"

I actually enjoy shorter edited videos like this or this as well as commentary especially if its useful. However jumping right into the action (as done with the OP videos) makes me feel like I missed something - why are you shooting these guys exactly?

Just gameplay footage is seldom worth watching for me because I can have this by starting a game on my own. And music usually makes the video unwatchable because of the media censorship in my country.

Enjoyed them both, short and nicely edited with movieclips/animations... The second one had me laughing my ass off, especially at the end! Haha, fantastic!! :) I'm looking forward to check out their channels later. My problem is that me and my friends talk our native language, and using text like i do makes it available for the international watcher but has its downsides. All situations become less dramatic/funny/thrilling when you read what's going on and don't understand the language. So i tought i'd take a different approach using music liscensed under Creative Commons

You play regular, that makes it unlikley to watch for me. But most of the time you couldnt benefit from 3rd person so its kind of okay. Was entertaining. We don't necessary need commentary, I prefer to hear the TS talk.

You clearly know what you are doing, thats a big plus. Most youtubers and streamers are baaaaaad players. That Sporterheadshot was golden :)

Started on regular when i first switched to SA, now i play Hardcore only. So most of the clip's you see in 1st person is from hardcore servers. A sporter with no magazine is very lethal :) so underestimated

I hate seing videos that have music instead of commentary. Music creates atmosphere but it should never replace good commentary. If i see a video with music pretty much blotting out the story that the video is trying to tell i just think to myself "scared of your own voice or something?"

I know DayZ is NOT a KoS game, and i actively try to be friendly and creative in that manner. I don't remember commentary being so widespread back in the days, or maybe it's simply DayZ that has alot of it.

watching that felt like i was watching a COD montage! the reason people like the longer vids is because the like the story behind it all! watching that just didnt feel right without a story behind it

Enjoyed them both, short and nicely edited with movieclips/animations... The second one had me laughing my ass off, especially at the end! Haha, fantastic!! :) I'm looking forward to check out their channels later. My problem is that me and my friends talk our native language, and using text like i do makes it available for the international watcher but has its downsides. All situations become less dramatic/funny/thrilling when you read what's going on and don't understand the language. So i tought i'd take a different approach using music liscensed under Creative Commons

Started on regular when i first switched to SA, now i play Hardcore only. So most of the clip's you see in 1st person is from hardcore servers. A sporter with no magazine is very lethal :) so underestimated

I know DayZ is NOT a KoS game, and i actively try to be friendly and creative in that manner. I don't remember commentary being so widespread back in the days, or maybe it's simply DayZ that has alot of it.

I think dayz is one of those games that requires commentary over music (but music in the background adds to it). Its not like cod where you can just show a montage of epic kills all the time (allthough a small ammount of these types of videos are ok).

watching that felt like i was watching a COD montage! the reason people like the longer vids is because the like the story behind it all! watching that just didnt feel right without a story behind it

I think dayz is one of those games that requires commentary over music (but music in the background adds to it). Its not like cod where you can just show a montage of epic kills all the time (allthough a small ammount of these types of videos are ok).

I said it before, DayZ is NOT a KoS game and i know that. However there are plenty of situations where you are -forced- to KoS and play the game like CoD (never touched it btw, or battlefield). Most common instance if anybody fires towards you or your friends...

Typically from a 20 minutes generic dayz video there's usually 5 minutes that is actually interesting in my opinion. The rest is usually ingame running while the person who made the video is talking about something totally unrelated. I want to watch 1. Initial plan/Direction headed - > 2. First contact/Motive/Plot - > 3. ??? - > 4. Ending/Quick summary. There's not many snappy editors around there, maybe because there's no time limit on youtube any longer?

TL/DR;

Story: Yes. Soap Opera: No thanks.

I try to keep my vids action packed - I usually immediately show action or it happens within the first thirty seconds - some have commentary though I see everyone point about forming a story

I liked your shorter videos :) Good job chasing that shotgun-guy. Your "episode videos" (10-20min) had very good and interesting content, but in my opinion were too long. There are so many encounters in the game that does not have much story to tell. Alot of encounters are straight up PvPing/KoSing/CoD... group gets shot at/clearing out a building from where a teammate was killed.

I know my videos are lacking story, but i tried to include the motive for killing the people i do.

Any other opinions on this topic? I'm very eager to hear!!

I liked your shorter videos :) Good job chasing that shotgun-guy. Your "episode videos" (10-20min) had very good and interesting content, but in my opinion were too long. There are so many encounters in the game that does not have much story to tell. Alot of encounters are straight up PvPing/KoSing/CoD... group gets shot at/clearing out a building from where a teammate was killed.

I know my videos are lacking story, but i tried to include the motive for killing the people i do.

Any other opinions on this topic? I'm very eager to hear!!

Thanks for the feedback!  I will definitely consider making shorter vids - Yeah in hindsight my most popular vids are all less than five minutes - I checked out your channel and subbed to you!  Nice editing

• Like 1