Super_Duty

Experimental Branch: 0.48 Discussion

Seems like the loot system needs at least a bit of tuning. Found one can of tactical bacon in 2 hrs of looting -> Died of starvation.

I still think the best way to balance spawning is timed WITH probability as i mentioned in .47 thread. One hour after an item is taken from a loot spawn give a 25% chance of respawn. Also, you could give a different probability for items not taken. example: every 1 hour an item not removed from a spawn has a 50% chance of despawning and spawning a new item. obviously this could be tweaked with different times and probabilities. Its not very easy to farm an area if you don't know if they will spawn in unless you wait 4 hours for the THEORETICAL 100% respawn. I'm just not liking this system of move-an-item/spawn-an-item but still hoping they can make it work.

• Like 2

Seems like the loot system needs at least a bit of tuning. Found one can of tactical bacon in 2 hrs of looting -> Died of starvation.

...well, You are so right!! I died 10x or more death today because starvation. It was really frustration.

And this is my first experience with the experimental servers :(

Well. Watchout with grabbing 4 slot items on elevated areas. found a Sickle in and open a can of beans to make space: death. Next life: he look stones! I'm going to die here anyway so lets take em with me. o wait I don't have any space, let me just drop... And I broke my legs...

I dont think the hitboxes are bugged, I think the attack only registers at the end of the animation, so just keep aiming at the head even after swinging

• Like 1

Next death. Starvation.

Really seems to be like someone mentioned: Stuff that's left by someone blocks the loot system. Result: I found absolutely nothing to eat. Only tons of rotten things and ruined food left by others.

Not sure if it's easier to survive when you're geared up, but as a fresh spawn I currently have no idea how to survive. You either die because you find no food, or, if you find something, you die because you find no bandages or clothes to make rags of.

Doesn't make much sense currently, and it is getting worse over time (due to persistent loot?).

• Like 1

I dont think the hitboxes are bugged, I think the attack only registers at the end of the animation, so just keep aiming at the head even after swinging

I have no idea what makes it so hard, but I have a terrible time, especially with crawlers to make it out alive. Every time I finally get a good aim they're lunging at me, I'm side stepping, they hit me anyway, and I have to re-aim while circling them - and then it starts all over.

I have for some reason not been able to kill a zed without taking massive damage myself, often dying within one or two minutes as a fresh spawn.

I have tried the farming hoe, which was my earlier favorite when I had no axe, didn't work. Same with the sickle, the baseball bat, the crowbar, the pipe wrench, and god have mercy even the freaking fire extinguisher.

I am starting to get frustrated. Every time I am passably geared (Wool jacket, Canvas Pants, even with no backpack and about two cans of soda) an encounter with a zombie pretty much has me start over since all my crap gets ruined. 

I apologize for the rage tears, I shall dry them alone in the corner of shame.

Edited by Demonica

Next death. Starvation.

Really seems to be like someone mentioned: Stuff that's left by someone blocks the loot system. Result: I found absolutely nothing to eat. Only tons of rotten things and ruined food left by others.

Not sure if it's easier to survive when you're geared up, but as a fresh spawn I currently have no idea how to survive. You either die because you find no food, or, if you find something, you die because you find no bandages or clothes to make rags of.

Doesn't make much sense currently, and it is getting worse over time (due to persistent loot?).

apple trees and animals

Get a knife of any kind and hid off to hunt animals....my only advice. I find plenty of food up north west so u could try moving up that way 

• Like 1

apple trees and animals

Get a knife of any kind and hid off to hunt animals....my only advice. I find plenty of food up north west so u could try moving up that way 

And I tried to get apples as well... Nothing. And a knife - found none in the east / south east.

Will try the north west. Thanks for the hint.

And I tried to get apples as well... Nothing. And a knife - found none in the east / south east.

You just arent trying hard enough. I'm able to get more than enough apples when I'm plucking them
  • Like 1

I have found that when fighting zombies melee, I only connect when hitting the zombie from behind or if I am moving towards them as I swing or if they are moving towards me.  If I stand still and just duke it out, I do not connect ever.  It's like the zombie is standing just an inch out of reach.  There is some range difference between the firemans axe and the splitting axe.  I am much more successful connecting with the splitting axe but it still requires forward movement and timing.

Just spam the appletree really hard like you do it drinkin from ponds/wells - here you go healthystatus.

I am much more successful connecting with the splitting axe but it still requires forward movement and timing.

Once you find the sweetspot you have no problems finding it again. I see all my buddies fighting with zombies over 5 hits - i'm gonna approach them with 1 hit and BAM - they'r down.

Edited by Guest

I've played on hardcore experimental. Although food is scarce, I am able to survive fine by hunting. Which is what they aimed for I guess.

Only thing about that which is really annoying is the time and duration of my axe it takes to cook something. Thats definitely too long, at least for the "saturation" it gives.

Long term suggetions:

My suggestions would be to measure meat from animals by grams instead of %.

Lets say 250g or 500g takes up one Slot and one such portion should give 25-50% saturation.

Skinning / Slicing the animal should depend on the tool used. ( butcher knife  / skinning knife )

Pelts should suffer under bad tool usage too. Lets say in quality (low , normal , high) which of course would then result in worse or better products. ( for bags that could be measured by slots )

That way hunting would finally be worth the trouble (and time).

Now theres still a problem with all the junk filling the server.

I see 2 options to solve that:

1. better despawn/degradation/destructive mechanics

2. make those items recyclable ( e.g. flashlights into electronic\metal scraps ( for vehicles / machines whatever ) jeans/canvas pants etc. into textile )

Though all of those are just long-term thoughts :)

My problem with experimental is actually finding enough weapons/ammo but thats probably just my experience ( didn't had the time to visit any military loot site despite NE Airfield ATC Tower ) and hit mechanics of weapons.

€: Respawn is better now then it is on stable. That was too much. Though it should still be tweaked to not spawn too much in one location for better distribution.

€²: Is there any use for cow/deer pelts atm?

Edited by Ellen Ripley
  • Like 1

Spend last 3 hours, Berenzino,Gorka, Grishno, army base, vybor,Lopatino.
No food, BARELY any ammo, sh*t load of shoes and jeans and flashlight with batteries.

Found 1 Makarov and ,380 ammo. A sks with 15 rounds and a machette.
Met a piggy aswel randomly at spawn on top of a mountain xD

• Like 1

You just arent trying hard enough. I'm able to get more than enough apples when I'm plucking them

How do you try harder? Its lmb and nothing happening, each search taking quite a long time. Occasionally there is an apple, but fruit aren't really filling and doesn't give much energy at all. You will literally starve to death searching for apples or berries in this build.

I've played on hardcore experimental. Although food is scarce, I am able to survive fine by hunting. Which is what they aimed for I guess.

Only thing about that which is really annoying is the time and duration of my axe it takes to cook something. Thats definitely too long, at least for the "saturation" it gives.

I have also had thoughts about this being a test to make players use survival features in order not to starve. But you need knives to cut up game your have succesfully hunted, and axes to cut ashwood trees in order to fish. Both of these items are rare as hell. I found one splitting axe once, but then of course I had no fishing hook (even though these seem not so rare atm). And rope, pfft, forget about it.

1. better despawn/degradation/destructive mechanics

€: Respawn is better now then it is on stable. That was too much. Though it should still be tweaked to not spawn too much in one location for better distribution.

€²: Is there any use for cow/deer pelts atm?

1. totally agree, degration until ruined, then despawn after settimer.

€: Well, it's different - probably better on exp cuz of less exploiting, but annoying if towns are full of junk and nothing usefull respawn.

€²: improved leather backpacks.

Spend last 3 hours, Berenzino,Gorka, Grishno, army base, vybor,Lopatino.

cmon, berez = spawn - gorka = spawn / grishno, vybor, lopa are the common citys probably everybody gonna visit if they go for west - wipe your ass around the map, there are still unlooted citys.

but yeh, the longer exp servers not get wiped due an new update - the worser more difficult it is finding decent loot.

How do you try harder? Its lmb and nothing happening, each search taking quite a long time. Occasionally there is an apple, but fruit aren't really filling and doesn't give much energy at all. You will literally starve to death searching for apples or berries in this build.

Some might call this abusing/exploting the system, wich it isn't:

Go for the appletree and hit LMB or F like 100times in a row, ingore the animation, just hit it. You should get like 20-30 apples wich is way enuff.

before someone rushin at me, how many apples could u pick in 1 minute (wich is about 100clicks IG) from a apple tree IRL?

Edited by Guest

i agree loot is respawning so slow that servers are restarting b4 it, rendering useless the whole respawn thing, or it's not respwning at all. Pretty much we are back to server hopping in the hope of catching a server tht just restarted. A step back.

[...]

[...]

Doh!

Thanks!

Won't help me though, never seen a wild boar :D

i agree loot is respawning so slow that servers are restarting b4 it, rendering useless the whole respawn thing, or it's not respwning at all. Pretty much we are back to server hopping in the hope of catching a server tht just restarted. A step back.

There is no respawn at restart anymore.

Edited by Ellen Ripley
  • Like 1

Went to the north west, met one of these one-hit-wonders...

On the way, I found nothing but two notes and a lot of rotten stuff.

Will try the apples next :)

EDIT: Next try: Spawned, first thing I see: Zombie running in my direction. 3 others follow. Bleeding, ruined rags.

221100_screenshots_2014-08-03_00002.jpg

221100_screenshots_2014-08-03_00003.jpg

Edited by Cherryx
  • Like 1

I have found 2 AK101s and 1 AKM in the Jeeps. 1 AKM and 1 AK101 by the Balota tents and another AK101 at the NEAF.

• Like 2

I have found 2 AK101s and 1 AKM in the Jeeps. 1 AKM and 1 AK101 by the Balota tents and another AK101 at the NEAF.

AKM in jeeps too huh?

Good to know

I have found more than 5 AK101s in jeeps

Seems like they have made AKM and AK101s share the same spawn point but made the AK101 the more common of the two.

1. totally agree, degration until ruined, then despawn after settimer.

€: Well, it's different - probably better on exp cuz of less exploiting, but annoying if towns are full of junk and nothing usefull respawn.

cmon, berez = spawn - gorka = spawn / grishno, vybor, lopa are the common citys probably everybody gonna visit if they go for west - wipe your ass around the map, there are still unlooted citys.

but yeh, the longer exp servers not get wiped due an new update - the worser more difficult it is finding decent loot.

I'm playing Day z only for a month. Never spawned in Berez nor Gorka. Usually it's somwhere in the fields or north east; Svetlojarsk

Grishno vybor and lopa are cities i whas able to reach with a map through google. Otherwise i had no clue where i'm going....Russian road sign and roman lettered maps don't make sense either.

And still....even in stable when i join a random server i usually have enough loot from 1 city. 

Novo' alone get's me wel geared and looted for a long long time.

After going through those mentioned cities i went unconcious of starvation and had to respawn :/