Sign in to follow this  
Chroma

Who's to say you are really a survivor?

I've seen a few arguments about adding things to the game and getting those ideas shot down with "the average person wouldn't know how to do X" (where X could be making radios out of coconuts for instance)
Then the riposte of "If you survived the outbreak then surely you're already smarter than the average bear."

This got me thinking about the fact you MAY NOT even be a survivor!
Lets review the evidence.

You awaken with out a clue carrying only a flashlight - this seems an unlikely scenario for your average outbreak survivor.
Your ethnicity is questionable - how many of the playable chars look like they're residents of Chenarus?
There are certain buildings and locations you cannot get into - whats hidden in those buildings?
Banditry seems to be the most common playstyle, people kill each other without a second thought.

This all got me thinking down the roads that I've been drugged, and dropped off on the shores of some shitty quarantine zone, stripped of everything and given a new shiny flashlight.
Roofied and left to survive for someones twisted amusement.
Those buildings i cant get into? i bet they're housing servers and telecom gear, fed from remote cameras dotted around Chenarus. Feeding into the central hub located at Green Mountain as a way of transmitting outside the zone, which is why the place is so freaky.

Perhaps I'm some kind of Criminal! Maybe i was a murderer and got shipped over here as some kind of newfangled justice, which is why banditry comes so easily.
Maybe i said the wrong thing publicly about my Government, took a hero's stand against my corporate empire, got doped up and shipped out to experience a scenario where there is NO government, i tried to be a hero in real life and this was my reward from the powers that be.
Maybe I'm not just paranoid in thinking I'm always being watched, because I've always got a camera pointed squarely at me, modern society watching me, positively ravenous at the thought of me receiving some entertaining justice. 
Head north or east enough and things come to an abrupt alt, you get to see the exclusion zone, where society retreated and demolished everything between us and them, just far enough that you'll die of dehydration or run out of fuel long before you ever see the walls around us :p

I can see a modern distopia all betting on how long i'll survive, talking about my shitty day around the water cooler in their offices all around the globe, phones going nuts the moment i break a leg and need to crawl around gathering sticks for a splint.

This is why i hear cans opening, and zombies moaning where there are none, it to get me shifting along, frighten me into action and prevent the audience back home getting bored with me just sitting around drinking a canteen.
Its why there are no vehicles yet (the exclusion zone is still being widened to prevent future escape)
Those other people you see glitching out? thats just a side effect of the neurotoxin that you received after your trial.
Died inexplicably on a stairwell or in a room that was otherwise safe? that's just you getting gassed for being BORING! The bastards just reset you back to the coast for round two!
All these things you think are bugs are just part of the plan to keep you entertaining the masses.
Just like the Roman empire threw Gladiatorial sports events to keep the masses amused and apeased and prevent too many questions being asked.

You are NOT A SURVIVOR, you're merely a pawn to keep the plebs working!

• Like 5

Interesting. Maybe this is really like 30 years in the future of Zombie Island (aka. Puerto Rico due to Xylazine use, which that National Geographic's show Drugs Inc covers).

Aha. Manhunt.

You are NOT A SURVIVOR, you're merely a pawn to keep the plebs working!

"Ready to work." © Warcraft III

Edited by Zyryanoff
  • Like 2

Very interesting take on the apocalypse. You have great imagination. I would love to hear more of this context!

Very interesting take on the apocalypse. You have great imagination. I would love to hear more of this context!

Haha! I just grew up watching The running man, battle royale, playing Smash TV and reading waaay too many shitty sci-fi novels.

Then looking at history and modern society, Big Brother always on TV and the rise of Reality TV in general, cheap to shoot trash that passes as entertainment nowadays, and followed through to its logical conclusion.

If a company thought it could get away with it i don't doubt for a second they would be dosing criminals with Scopolamine and shipping them out to TV island for an entertaining death.

International Governments would also love the idea of shipping out dissidents and criminals, it solves the prison population and budget issues, gets rid of "terrorists" (whatever this weeks definition of terrorist happens to be) and brings in revenue, keeps a populace entertained and therefore under control.

The only downside would be the bleeding heart "Human rights" types.

But lets face it, they've been unable to stop the march of Guantanamo, so they really don't pose much of a threat.

It also solves international terrorism, if Al Queda sees a country publicly executing their own citizens? they'd be like "Screw tangling with those psychos."

The only downside is your average joe and public outcry, would people stand for it? Would they tune in?

Guaging by some of the messed up stuff ive seen people do in DayZ id say that a lot of people wouldnt have an issue though :D

• Like 1

Maybe Rick is still in a coma and this is all a fucked up dream!

• Like 1

I just imagine i flew in, hooked up with some buds at the Berezino pub, got shitfaced and then woke up with a blistering hangover on the beach, broke,  furball tongue. Flashlight is unexplainable..as are most items in my pockets when i wake up in random places after a big night ;)

Ha, I like it. Good stuff. =)

I think they even pulled a lil Dark City on us, as we have new cities popping up overnight. I would also imagine it's at some point in the future, where they must have some sort of mind control. Someway to prevent us from even wanting to try and get into those locked rooms and buildings. 

Haha! I just grew up watching The running man, battle royale, playing Smash TV and reading waaay too many shitty sci-fi novels.

Then looking at history and modern society, Big Brother always on TV and the rise of Reality TV in general, cheap to shoot trash that passes as entertainment nowadays, and followed through to its logical conclusion.

If a company thought it could get away with it i don't doubt for a second they would be dosing criminals with Scopolamine and shipping them out to TV island for an entertaining death.

International Governments would also love the idea of shipping out dissidents and criminals, it solves the prison population and budget issues, gets rid of "terrorists" (whatever this weeks definition of terrorist happens to be) and brings in revenue, keeps a populace entertained and therefore under control.

The only downside would be the bleeding heart "Human rights" types.

But lets face it, they've been unable to stop the march of Guantanamo, so they really don't pose much of a threat.

It also solves international terrorism, if Al Queda sees a country publicly executing their own citizens? they'd be like "Screw tangling with those psychos."

The only downside is your average joe and public outcry, would people stand for it? Would they tune in?

Guaging by some of the messed up stuff ive seen people do in DayZ id say that a lot of people wouldnt have an issue though :D

I like how you managed to wrap around your theory around the current state of Dayz. Everything checks out and is explained, even the bugs are a part of the big scheme! Brilliant!

I just imagine i flew in, hooked up with some buds at the Berezino pub, got shitfaced and then woke up with a blistering hangover on the beach, broke,  furball tongue. Flashlight is unexplainable..as are most items in my pockets when i wake up in random places after a big night ;)

Skanked ?

or Press-Ganged ?

(again?)

This thread should have been a "You're not a real survivor unless ... <insert action here>" thread.

personally, you're not a real survivor until you've built a raft out of players with rigamortis and sailed off to mother rasia.

• Like 1

Maybe Rick is still in a coma and this is all a fucked up dream!

We are all a part of your dream...and your world...

DUNNNNNN