gibonez

EXP - Map now shows the players exact position

Lswj08l.jpg

The map now displays with a big huge circle where the player is located.

As you can imagine I along with every other realism nut absolutely hates this and much to my surprise so does most people on reddit. How about you guys how do you feel about this latest change.

• Like 13

I think it's likely a mistake/bug.  That's what I'm hoping any ways.  Supposedly it shows enemies in the vicinity as well, which makes it seem like just a bug/leftover from arma to me though.

If it's intentional, it's probably one of the worst decisions they've made.  I really really doubt it is though.

• Like 8

I used to LOVE the "Gong Show"

excuse me for a moment while I cast my vote.............................................GONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG GONNNG GONNNG GONNNNNNNNNG

Edited by Mystic Bagel
  • Like 1

Err, I'm not seeing a circle, am I just blind?

Top right, near the edge of town, right off the road

I think it's likely a mistake/bug.  That's what I'm hoping any ways.  Supposedly it shows enemies in the vicinity as well, which makes it seem like just a bug/leftover from arma to me though.

If it's intentional, it's probably one of the worst decisions they've made.  I really really doubt it is though.

Yea I was hoping this was a bug too but it cant possibly be they intentionally added this in for some odd reason.

Yeah, bad idea in my opinion. Should only be the purview of someone with a GPS or somesuch. Definitely not an innate ability.

But then again, I don't really care about the maps in DayZ. They've been utterly ruined by the (perhaps unmitigated) use of websites. Until, or if (which is unlikely) something is done about this issue, then maps are just there for posterity... the same goes for walkie talkies.

That and it doesn't really do anything for me, I know where I am in Chernarus. Guess that's one of the perks of playing the shit out of ARMA II, DayZ mod, and DayZ.

Bad idea on principle, but doesn't affect how I play the game.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I dont mind it, makes the value of maps higher, who cares about the very slight realism hit

• Like 1

But then again, I don't really care about the maps in DayZ. They've been utterly ruined by the (perhaps unmitigated) use of websites. Until, or if (which is unlikely) something is done about this issue, then maps are just there for posterity... the same goes for walkie talkies.

I don't understand your position here. What are people supposed to do about maps? 

As for WT's, I like them, if they work with the text like they did before. It provides an optional 'global chat' that doesn't take away from others that don't care for it. It's about as perfect a solution as you can have.

• Like 1

I don't understand your position here. What are people supposed to do about maps? 

As for WT's, I like them, if they work with the text like they did before. It provides an optional 'global chat' that doesn't take away from others that don't care for it. It's about as perfect a solution as you can have.

They, in my opinion, should be only used in-game. They should be the reward of the expenditure of in-game time/effort/risk. Not something that everyone can just alt-tab to access from the start. Otherwise, what's the point of having a map in-game? I'm not going to spend time piecing together a map (for one, because I don't need a map to navigate Chernarus) because I can just alt-tab and pull one up on DayZDB without doing anything.

So, if there's an easier and more flexible alternative that's readily available, what use do maps have in-game?

The same applies to Teamspeak and walkie-talkies. I'll let you fill in the blanks to the above statement to apply to Teamspeak.

If I had my way, alt-tabbing would close the game out entirely. But, that's clearly never going to happen.

Edited by Katana67

People that had been around from the mod days,know the map like the back of their hand and not care so much.

But I think it would do good for new players to get further aquainted with the map.This system would help.

Now,i know it's not realisticly supported but it pays off the effort for all the map piece scavage hunt i had to went through.

Having a map ingame was worthless because:

-Very time consuming to find all the pieces and put together

-People prefered websites as,it gave more details.

-Using the map as a new player was very confusing,so most of them give up on them and navigated with experience and landmarks factors.

It was a very wise move not to implement this on hardcore though,as i would be very frustrated.

This can obviously only be a bug.

• Like 2

this is probably just added to help the blind fools who can't navigate for their life get to their military destinations 90% quicker.

I mean, the actual effect that this will have on gameplay, even for new players, is almost completely negligible. 

Not only is it predicated on actually having a fully pieced-together map (to be able to make full use of this ability in the first place), it's also predicated on the player not using the much easier, complete, and instantly available map resources available on the internet (at places like DayZDB).

So, I mean, yeah it's a bad idea on principle. But acting like this is going to somehow dramatically affect how the game is played is ridiculous. People already have access to maps to figure out where they are. Doesn't matter if it's precise or not, they don't need a yellow circle to let them know that they're in <insert city here>. They don't need a yellow circle to orient themselves either from that location.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Not a big deal. Might be evidence of a future "Beginner" level of difficulty. The mod had it too, but not on hardcore or vet servers. I imagine it will be the same here.

DayZ made me learn how to read a map and use it to navigate an environment that I had no previous knowledge of. It wasn't long before I didn't need it anymore. Bottom line, the people that want to cheat themselves out of an experience are going to do it no matter what, so I don't see an issue with letting them do it legitimately. 

The more concerning factor is that it shows enemies.

Also, even with an out of game map I know people who routinely still get lost.  There's a difference between knowing exactly where you are, even on an incomplete map, than not knowing at all.  Using an out of game map does make in game maps negligible, but using an out of game map you still at least need to know how to navigate.

This makes it so you don't need to know how to navigate.

• Like 4

The more concerning factor is that it shows enemies.

It does?

It does?

Supposedly it acts similar to the arma maps, where you see (possibly hear) an enemy they get marked

Also: When you see someone it marks the guy on map with another orange marker. One more reason to stay away from those "regular" servers...

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2bz5mx/728_047_experimental_unofficial_changelog/cjaguis

Which is why I believe it's likely just a remnant of arma's map system and unintentional.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 3

I never use the maps anymore. Usually have a pretty good idea where I am and where I'm going.

But if they actually do implement something useful like a position indicator I might pick them up again.

Lswj08l.jpg

The map now displays with a big huge circle where the player is located.

As you can imagine I along with every other realism nut absolutely hates this and much to my surprise so does most people on reddit. How about you guys how do you feel about this latest change.

In previous patches (.2X) the map showed also other players when they got close to you.

Yes, the map in previous patches (.2X)  showed also position of other players when they got ~600 meters from you.

It really makes no difference either way; what exactly is the problem? New players benefit from it, it actually gives value to the map, and it doesn't affect veterans at all. I still wouldn't pick one up.

However, if it marks enemies, then, yeah, there's an issue.

• Like 4