RAM-bo4250

A Refreshing Change - STEALTH

Anything that can have competition can be considered a sport. Because of the varied definition between a sport and a game, it's hard to make a concrete case for it but any video game that would require team work, coordination, hand eye coordination and reflexes structured within an environment that is meant to be competitive, it can be considered a sport. 

Hunting is considered a sport, why can't a video game be considered one? It can be competitive. You have people trying to be the best player among their peers and competition.

Yea but video games requires absolutely zero physical exertion .

Isn't some kind of physical exertion at least the base minimum requirement for something to be considered a legitimate sport ?

I can see Dota 2, or other MOBA games are legitimate sports mainly due to their competitive structure, their overabundance of depth and the deep thinking required to play in the upper echelons of the game.

Even with all those categories  I still struggle to see it as a sport along the lines of every other legitimate sport. Even golf.

Let me start by first stating that I do realize this is an alpha. I also want to say that every person has a right to play the game how they want. Be it KOS or whatever. It makes my gameplay more interesting. With all that out of the way I do have a lament.

Most players choose to run around like mad collecting the good loot as fast as possible. Yhat includes all youtubers (that I have seen). When I play I have one goal. Not to loot. Not to kill. Just to survive. I know that's easy with not a lot of zombies. As far as I know this game was thought of when Dean was on a survival ex with the military. So I believe this game was designed with survival in mind, not a COD style of gameplay. I went through Air Force Survival school in the US and the number 1 goal was to escape and evade (ie: survive without being seen). That meant staying away from everyone. In an escape and evade scenario you are in an enemy territory. I'm assuming in an apocalypse everywhere is enemy territory. However I'm not jaded enough to believe most people will act the way they do in this game. 

For those of you who play to run around and gear up as fast as you can, what's the point? There are so many other games you could play where you start just like that. Geared up and ready to kill. I especially don't get the cheaters and hackers. Where's the skill there? Unless of course your whole deal is just to piss people off. Sorry for the tangent and small rant. I am not against KOS. See first sentence in post. But why is KOS the way most play (sorry I'm assuming from what I see).

Back to my playstyle (boring to most of you I assume). I do believe the saying "to be killed on sight, you have to be seen". That is how I play. If I am spotted I feel I have failed, period. I've seen tons of players but they haven't seen me. I could have killed most of them. I play with the mindset, if this were real. 

My biggest lament is that I do not get the chance to watch someone else play with this playstyle on youtube. Awhile back I used to watch a YT named Zemalf. To me it was fascinating to watch him make blunders and get killed. Usually by being to impatient. I have died most of the time this way.

Now does anyone know any YT that actually makes videos with this playstyle? If not can someone step up and make one? I am sure there are many of you out there that play like this even within a group. This is the main reason for this post. I want to watch others play with this style, survive, and make blunders.  

So there you go. Please chime in everybody.

RAM-bo out.

I play lone wolf stealth, survivor style. I wander aimlessly, with now 43 mosin bullets and 15 magnum bullets. I do not use any maps, to pinpoint barracks or airfields. I usually avoid these anyway. I have watched players run carelessly through towns avoiding all buildings except those that spawn weapons. I have witnessed server hopping. I dont waste bullets on zombies, my hoe is enough. I only loot when i need to, food and water. Every now and then i get careless, but luckily so far i have kept this character alive the longest. I havent had any confrontations with other players yet, and its for the best.

Rofl, videos games and the word sport.

wlCSZw1.jpg

that chair must be made out of adamantium...

i am quite stealthy of a player, actually i rarely get spotted before i spot other people:

I always close doors behind me, always scan the outside quickly when moveing through a "gate" such as the edge of a forrest or a door, and try to minimize my time outside with no wall at my back

this kind of playstyle lets me choose wether or not to confront other players, either talking to them or trying to tak them down, depends on the situation, however it is completely impossible to play this way with a group, at least with the people i know, and you need a lot of silence for it, since footsteps are often the only thing protecting you from wlking around a corner into a shotgun to the face

and no, i will never make youtube videos of that

1) it is boring to watch

2) my computer just wont handle it, it is barely playable in novi etc. at times wihtout recording tbh

3) i am not a good talker

the first thing you need for this playstyle is patience, and time, also

one time i followed a guy and his friend for about 2 hours, they NEVER scanned their surroundings and were KoS, i was about 200 meters behind them at all times (hardcore mind you, no corner peeking)

finally when they tried to engage someone in a supermarket, i got them both with my AKM, which is a truly awesome weapon

Edited by Zombo

Some shameless self promotion here, I am the only legit player I have ever seen streaming this game. Admittedly, I haven't watched all the streamers out there, but from what I have watched of the popular ones, they all play cheap and cheat themselves out of the experience.

I have not turned any of my runs into youtube vids though, just keep what's in my past broadcasts.

I'm pretty sure not too many people would find watching me play DayZ all that entertaining and I don't blame you, without hundreds of zombies it's the worlds most boring deathmatch. The one thing I can say about watching me play though, is you are going to learn something. You'll come out of there with at least one new thing you'll want to add to your bag of tricks. =P

I'm a precision gamer. I don't spaz, I don't mash, I don't cheat or exploit. I keep it real. I play to entertain myself and if in some way that can entertain someone else, then great. If not, then oh well. =)

Some shameless self promotion here, I am the only legit player I have ever seen streaming this game. Admittedly, I haven't watched all the streamers out there, but from what I have watched of the popular ones, they all play cheap and cheat themselves out of the experience.

I have not turned any of my runs into youtube vids though, just keep what's in my past broadcasts.

I'm pretty sure not too many people would find watching me play DayZ all that entertaining and I don't blame you, without hundreds of zombies it's the worlds most boring deathmatch. The one thing I can say about watching me play though, is you are going to learn something. You'll come out of there with at least one new thing you'll want to add to your bag of tricks. =P

I'm a precision gamer. I don't spaz, I don't mash, I don't cheat or exploit. I keep it real. I play to entertain myself and if in some way that can entertain someone else, then great. If not, then oh well. =)

Thanks Dok. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't find your playstyle boring at all. On the contrary. If a lot more people played like this I don't think my heart would stop pounding. This makes for suspense.  Right now it's not very suspenseful in game because almost everyone runs around like there isn't any danger. Let's face it. There isn't much danger. Unless you run into somebody like you. Thumbs up.

Quick question. I see in your last stream you were pretty well geared up. How did you acquire that gear? Running around like mad? Server hopping? I think gearing up is or may be the most exciting thing in game as long as you play stealthy right from the beginning. Can you imagine taking hours gearing up then being impatient and bam, bullet to the head. I play like my life depended on it right from the second I respawn.

and if in some way that can entertain someone else, then great. If not, then oh well. =)

Trust me. I'm entertained.

Isn't some kind of physical exertion at least the base minimum requirement for something to be considered a legitimate sport ?

I can see Dota 2, or other MOBA games are legitimate sports mainly due to their competitive structure, their overabundance of depth and the deep thinking required to play in the upper echelons of the game.

Even with all those categories  I still struggle to see it as a sport along the lines of every other legitimate sport. Even golf.

Quit personally, I consider anything that is inherently competitive, even for a lack of physical exertion a sport. 

Their entire structure is meant to be competitive, to test ones team against another in a game of skill. At that point, I consider it a sport.

Thanks Dok. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't find your playstyle boring at all. On the contrary. If a lot more people played like this I don't think my heart would stop pounding. This makes for suspense.  Right now it's not very suspenseful in game because almost everyone runs around like there isn't any danger. Let's face it. There isn't much danger. Unless you run into somebody like you. Thumbs up.

Quick question. I see in your last stream you were pretty well geared up. How did you acquire that gear? Running around like mad? Server hopping? I think gearing up is or may be the most exciting thing in game as long as you play stealthy right from the beginning. Can you imagine taking hours gearing up then being impatient and bam, bullet to the head. I play like my life depended on it right from the second I respawn.

Nah, if you went back through the past broadcasts you could actually see the evolution of that character. It's just from 3 days of looting, man. I'm so anti-hopping/anti-farming that's it's not even funny. I'm so anti-hopping that when I end a session after searching a town or base, the next time I login I will play as though I already searched and just move on from there. I will not backtrack and re-search. I'm even appalled that you would ask such a question. =P

Nah, if you went back through the past broadcasts you could actually see the evolution of that character. It's just from 3 days of looting, man. I'm so anti-hopping/anti-farming that's it's not even funny. I'm so anti-hopping that when I end a session after searching a town or base, the next time I login I will play as though I already searched and just move on from there. I will not backtrack and re-search. I'm even appalled that you would ask such a question. =P

When I asked the question I didn,t really think you did. You play exactly like I do. It is really tempting at times to take the respawned loot. One time I respawned in a barn and there in front of me was the item I was searching awhile for. Damn that was tempting to make up some BS story to soothe my conscience but I didn't break my rule. I left it.

Are there enough woods left to allow this play style now?

Plenty.

When I asked the question I didn,t really think you did. You play exactly like I do. It is really tempting at times to take the respawned loot. One time I respawned in a barn and there in front of me was the item I was searching awhile for. Damn that was tempting to make up some BS story to soothe my conscience but I didn't break my rule. I left it.

=) It's tough and from time to time I may say eff it and do it anyways. It's not really a big deal at all if anyone does either. As long as they aren't hopping, farming or cycling then they are OK with me....as long as they also aren't cheating, duping, ghosting, comlog'in, gamma n brightness changing, FOV changing and so on. =P 

Thats actually more personal preference than anything else. For some socializing and meeting people is enough reason not to kill them. Some go meta and want to be known as someone who does not kill people if there is another option. Then you get the benefits of cooperation: more eyes might spot more dangers and more weapons can resond to greater threats. And then there is the rush of social paranoia: someone in your group could be a traitor while the others are genuinely nice guys. Also trading loot might be less risky than robbery (both in condition and survival chance). Finally we got information: hearing what someone has to say can make the difference between life and death (one way or the other).

Those are just examples - in the end its what you want to do. "Sneaky lone wolf" has its thrill from "not getting caught" but I think its not a playstyle many people want to watch. But the same goes for the "xenophobic collector" who likes to gear up and blows everyones brains out if they come too close.

I really don't think its as much of a preference thing as you think. There's nothing else to do in the game other than collect guns and use them, or run around.

Once there is more to do, people will do it. Plain and simple.

I currently play as lone wolf sniper pretty most of the time now. With the hunting and fishing now I pretty much am able to survive completely off the grid. Once I got the hang of hunting and cooking, it really is a good source of food, and beats searching towns and risking everything just for cans of food. Once I geared up I pretty much only go into to towns to loot items I really need, quick in and out. I'm in forested or thick tree lines much of the time. My reason for this is a really good one, because 99 % of the time I have been shot in DayZ SA it has been in citys or towns in an urban setting. So prefer being outside, up high shooting in LOL 

When I do pvp I make it as much on my terms as possible, my goal is to get the drop on the other guy 1st at long range. They won't even know what hit em or were it came from. If I miss or they are in a group, I try to have an escape route pre planed. The people I'm afraid of are hackers, because no matter how much skill you have they can quickly get to you and kill you.  If I see someone quickly glitching across the map I log out...Fuck that shit!

Stealth is vary much a part of the SA. I also think playing alone is much more challenging then playing in a group. I find it to more rewarding. I also enjoy having to plot every step, and really think about my game plan every time I play. I try to plan every move and have a game plan. I love it. But sometimes I do get lonely and miss playing with other people QQ

Something interesting about stealth and camo I learned playing dayz sa. If your completely still laying prone in the trees or bushes in the shadows, your almost invisible. But one thing to remember, hiding in grass only helps you at short range due to view distance. So trees and bushes are really ideal to lay next too. When your moving your much more visible and easy to spot or hear no matter what. I learned this in practice. I have had players run right past me and had no clue what so ever I was there. It really does work.

One thing not to do, is were bright colors. With a long range, I can spot people far easier with a say red mountain back pack. May as well have a shot me sign painted on them. Black, green or pref camo is the way to go. I use either the improvised back pack or hunters. Recently I had to go back to hunters because I needed more slots. The improvised pack I think is the best pack for blending in prone. Hunters is good too.  

Edited by CJFlint

I do find it more irritating than anything else in dayz that the best way of getting stuff done is to sprint everywhere like a dog on speed.

wlCSZw1.jpg

Chess is considered a sport:

"Chess is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee and international chess competition is sanctioned by the World Chess Federation (FIDE), which adopted the now-standard Staunton chess set in 1924 for use in all official games."

/argument

wlCSZw1.jpg

Dota2 The International 4 tournament had it's final televised on ESPN a couple of weeks ago.  $10.9 million prize pool.  Yep...

Dota2 The International 4 tournament had it's final televised on ESPN a couple of weeks ago.  $10.9 million prize pool.  Yep...

keep trying to justify it all you want. Video games are not a sport.

Keep it civil or I can issue bans if anyone feels like being lonely for a while.

Keep it civil or I can issue bans if anyone feels like being lonely for a while.

keep trying to justify it all you want. Video games are not a sport.

Your mom is a sport.

A team sport.

Your mom is a sport.

A team sport.

Third strike. Sula was being very too lenient, you could have gotten away with it. Bad call.

Edited by Max Planck