cels

Threats and Challenges

So i was thinking about this and the only real threat in this game currently is other players. Understandable that they are going to add more things later to make the game more difficult, but as it stands, the player will always most like be your biggest challenge.

Actually, I would go as far as saying players only moreso just when ammo and weapons are at a abundance, something that supposedly will not be the case when this game goes live(as well with other items). Whenever this change happens, it might possibly create a need for the the players to become a smarter Bandit or KoSer. Ones that actually try to interact with you to get close and gain your trust since you wont be able to just fire a weapon from a distance in most cases. You could just try to chase down a guy but then you are a threat just the same as the infested that we already do circles around, maybe just a lil more dangerous.

Granted, I do think a change like this is needed. Its just really easy right now to play the KoS/Bandit waiting game for the unsuspected victim to search a town unknowing to the fact that someone is watching their every move. Its going to bring a much needed challenge to KoSing and being a Bandit. I would still consider the player to be the biggest threat though, even with the reduction of weapons and ammo available because you just never know what that random guy who joined the group will do. It brings the trust game more into play.

With this change going more towards player interaction and the threat of straight out pvp lessening some. Probably becoming a bit more psychological with how you decide to interact. I think a new threat would be nice to add a bit more to the difficulty of the game.

Why not have roaming groups of npc bandits?

Have them armed and moving around moreso near the inside of the treelines and forest areas. Maybe designed in a way that if they see a player is armed. The AI bandits will fire on them. If they see a player has no weapon in hand. They would moreso try and chase them down. If the player tries to run, maybe they could shoot for the legs. If the player doesnt run, they could just handcuff the player and put a bag over their head. While this is happening, they will take a random item or 2 from you and be on their way.

This would up the challenge no matter if youre in a popular area or off in the corner town. This would also add more of a challenge to any server no matter how many real players are already on it. You could be the only person on the server and still have the threat of bandits.

Just a idea, something that I think would bring more to the game.

Edited by cels

There are alot of servers on the mod with stationary/mobile NPC's. The NPC's act weird/lag out/is stupid in general, so it's no problem clearing out a camp alone if you know how they act/respond.

Overall i do not like this idea, and would rather want DayZ to keep going the direction it is going, a big "sandbox" world where every encounter is unique and not scripted.

You know good AI is bad for performance? Also game AI development has basically stopped many years ago. So any human NPC wouldn't be believable, especially compared to the real players around and also eat lots of resources. Better stick with the real deal. What I hope to see are hostile animals and stronger zombies - which is much easier as you don't have to take the whole deception, abstraction and communication thing typical for humans.

Zombies are straightforward because nobody will complain if they are dumb as a lantern post. Just make them more durable (at least as durable as freshspawns) and numerous. Zombies right now are just a annoyance to players and don't even work for combat training because they die so fast.

Animals need a big boost as well but here its more difficult because they should have a believable AI. But first they need to be more durable as well (why the hell are all non-player-entities made out of glass in this game?) and much faster. Then they need to flee earlier - right now you can often run into melee didtance before they even react - and defend themselves if everything else fails (try to punch a boar to death in real life). Hostile animals are even harder as contary to zombies they should not charge at every human they see but only pick wounded and lone survivors and also try to sneak upon them.

In short:

Zombies are easy -> "Brains?! CHAAAAARGE!"

Deer is relatively easy -> "Oh crap, I spotted a human. RUN FOR YOUR LIFES!"

Boar is harder -> "Oh crap, run! Shit I am trapped, but I won't go down without a fight!"

Wolves are pretty hard -> "A group of well armed humans? We should run or hide. A single wounded human? Lets have dinner!"

And humans are impossible to implement in a satisfying way.

Don't think AI would be a good ideal.  AI in arma is always 3 things.

1. brain dead.  you shoot them and they don't react.

2.Weird.  I have seen the Ai do some strange things man.

3.  Telepathic.  You fire one shot from a bush and they all INSTANTLY return fire on your exact location.  Don't even need to pin point you.