Mullraugh

WWII German Gear in Chernarus

I say yes,  WW@ german stuff is fine for the game.

I really want a MG 42 with plenty of ammo.     When they add zombie hoards we can mow them down and drink russian beer.

I don't mind some small stuff, like a Stalhelm...but nothing overboard.

Also; Takistan borders Chernarus to the West, past Novigrad, the capital (no, you silly ducks, cherno is not the capital). People often wonder why they border each other, but hey, coniferous woodland doesn't instantly turn into arid desert. Look at some pictures of Armenia; it's generally considered European, but borders Iran. Also, Iraq and Afghanistan have woods and mountains (albeit sparse).

I'd love to see a gradually changing border area around the Taki/CR border. That'd be awesome.

Small stuff?   OK,    we already have the ammo for MP 38 or MP 40.   So that would be cool........

BUTTTTTTTTT and check this OUTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Why not anti tank rifles from WW2?   Who would not want to shot zombies with large anti-tank rounds from a big ass rifle on steroids?   

Small stuff?   OK,    we already have the ammo for MP 38 or MP 40.   So that would be cool........

BUTTTTTTTTT and check this OUTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Why not anti tank rifles from WW2?   Who would not want to shot zombies with large anti-tank rounds from a big ass rifle on steroids?   

Ok that is surely interesting idea, but personally I would rather see few Kar98K rifles or maybe their later variants in 7.62x51 caliber.

I don't think that old ani-tank rifles would fit into the game that much,also I would not expect anybody producing ammo for them for quite some time now :).

Ok that is surely interesting idea, but personally I would rather see few Kar98K rifles or maybe their later variants in 7.62x51 caliber.

I don't think that old ani-tank rifles would fit into the game that much,also I would not expect anybody producing ammo for them for quite some time now :).

PTRS-41 uses 14.5x114, pretty common anti-materiel/anti-aircraft cartridge. That and the concept of the "anti-tank" rifle has been appropriated by the generalized "anti-materiel" rifle category, as most tanks are resistant to all but the most potent rifle rounds.

So, the M107 and the like are pretty much in the same category now as well.

Edited by Katana67

not a bad idea, but If we're going to start throwing more WW2 items in the game, I think Soviet stuff would be much more likely. We already have the Mosin, but why not old Soviet uniforms, gasmasks and helmets? TT-33, PPSH, Nagant Revolver, F1 Grenades .. etc etc.

I like the idea of adding semi-rare vintage gear, but I think it's much more likely to see soviet ww2 items in a soviet-themed country.

I personally wouldn't argue against a rare Kar98 spawn though.. after the war , many of them were captured in bulk by the Russians and kept in storage, being shipped worldwide. I don't think its so farfetched that the fictional Chernarus could potentially have these in small numbers.

Other than guns (Pretty sure the Mauser k98 has been modeled already, along the what looks like the P38) I'm not really sure WW2 gear/outfits would fit in with the setting, even Soviet stuff.  Unless it was tucked into cold storage right after they captured it (Since it was the Soviets I doubt they'ed hang onto German uniforms, much less pristine uniforms. "You see that little Demetri...that is where Grandpa stabbed his first Nazi, right in the heart!")

Arguments aside, the Location in my diagram is the closest we'll ever get to knowing Chernarus' actual whereabouts on Earth, and no matter how much we wish and wish for things to happen - such as adding old German gear to the game, it's all up to the developers and the people who actually created the ArmAverse.

I'm just pointing out that it seems a little far fetched that the Germans would attack Caspian Sea east-coast USSR due to it's remoteness.

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where it could possibly be located based on that quick "zoom in on the Caucasus"

Katana hit it on the head.  Germans pushed as far East as Stalingrad (where they were repelled -read defeated-).  To get there, they pushed through Eastern Europe and many former Soviet Satellite States during the Eastern Front offensive during the later part of WWII.

This is ignoring that Mauser makes very nice weapons, but their kit would have certainly been used and distributed.  Except for their boots.  Useless german boots. so cold....

Well, anti tank rifle would be awesome.     If we can finally tie up zombies or chain the together.... imagine the youtube videos!

Edited by Walker Tall

I have a feeling that 99% of those anti-tank rifle rounds won't be aimed at zombies...

I have a feeling that 99% of those anti-tank rifle rounds won't be aimed at zombies...

I have a feeling 99% of thous Anti tank rounds wouldn't work...at all.

1: in order to comply with international laws it would have to either be labeled with a Iron Cross or just negate any "Nazi influence" and just be "German WWII" helmet etc.

2: Chernarus is as involved in any fictional Nazi invasion as they want it to be.

3: I fully support German weaponry, armor and such however not so much, in that Era, most of it would have been buried with it's owner, or ruined. Many Nazi froze to death and were subsequently as tank trails (kid you not look it up) not sure that would be "pristine" condition gear.

WWII Russian winter gear once weather effects us would be cool.

Also stop trying to apply real world location and history to a fictional universe. This is a video game not a documentary! We don't have any restrictions in weapons, conflicts, or anything else. People screaming this is a former soviet state that turn around and cite it's based on the Czech Republic any American items should be removed seriously grind my gears. Go look up Czech/US relations, we are just as up their arse as we are with any country we play "world police" for.

So in closing I would be thrilled to see era specific German gear, however it's a find line to tread due to international laws (ie: swastikas as I recall are against the law in Germany) so an analogue symbol system would be required.

Most of the items you could probably still find as leftovers from Germany in WW2 wouldn't have ever borne the swastika anyway. Wehrmacht helmets typically did not, and most of their firearms were also not branded with them. Uniforms/outfits and Nazi armbands typically did not survive the war because they rot away much faster and not too many people had an interest in stealing dead mens' clothing.

I mean, the map doesn't need to be littered with WW2-era stuff anyway. Wehrmacht helmets would be cool, and I wouldn't be opposed to a KAR-98K, MP40, Luger P08, or Mauser C96 (even though the latter pistols were mostly out of service). Other than that it's just up to the devs.

Katana hit it on the head.  Germans pushed as far East as Stalingrad (where they were repelled -read defeated-). 

As has been mentioned in this thread, part of Army Group South (Army Group A) pushed further east than Stalingrad, relatively deep into the Caucasus area, the area where it is most likely Chernarus is supposed to be situated.

Most of the items you could probably still find as leftovers from Germany in WW2 wouldn't have ever borne the swastika anyway. Wehrmacht helmets typically did not, and most of their firearms were also not branded with them.

Most of the firearms would indeed be stamped with the Nazi Reichsadler, a design which includes a swastika.

Edited by BadAsh

PTRS-41 uses 14.5x114, pretty common anti-materiel/anti-aircraft cartridge. That and the concept of the "anti-tank" rifle has been appropriated by the generalized "anti-materiel" rifle category, as most tanks are resistant to all but the most potent rifle rounds.

So, the M107 and the like are pretty much in the same category now as well.

Was not sure about ammo of the WW2 anti-tank weapons there.

Still I think bolt action Kar98K would be a better addition gameplay-wise, then rusty ww2 anti-tank rifle.

On the other hand neither the Kar98K is needed atm, since we have Mosin and CZ527 is on it's way as well.

But maybe later, why not having more weapons of the same type just with different rarity. So both Kar98K and Mosin, both AKM and Sa vz.58 etc.

Most of the firearms would indeed be stamped with the Nazi Reichsadler, a design which includes a swastika.

Except it would not, if devs decided not to include any svastika at all.

Edited by Hombre

And in the first few seconds of this official ARMA2 trailer, it clearly shows Chernarus' location on a real world map.

Have you realized that even in the Trailer the got the location of Gorka and Stary Sobor wrong? .. at Gorka they zoom in somewhere near Myshkino, while Stary Sobor  zooms in on what appears to be Polana

Edited by Agrefits

The OP is basically right and the Dev's really have the only say in this matter. For me it is not an alternate universe. It's straight from Arma which has a long and storied history. A history that carry's over to SA. There are so many in game references that to say otherwise is just trying to hard too be different.

One would think the Dev's would take what history there is and then build from there. Such as the Zed Apoch happening after the A2 series.

For starters it would explain all the M4 and US gear laying around. Cause we all know in a real Apoch like in Dayz no American forces would be shipped to Russia to help. At best a thermal nuclear helping hand.

Just my 2cents...

Edited by RyBo

I have a feeling 99% of thous Anti tank rounds wouldn't work...at all.

Considering I have ammo from the 30's I'd beg to differ. Granted not for a AT rifle, lulz...

Might help that I don't store my ammo in the lawn though.

Edited by RyBo

Considering the only game I've seen the PTrS in was world at war I'd like to see it in the game ad for added fun we can let people attach the LRS to it then sit back and wait for them to pull the trigger.... Ok I'm joking still it would be funny listening to the "how did I die? It worked in COD?" Comments. Overall I don't like the PTSR especially with more common anti-material options. Although I'd like to see big game rifles added

I like ww2 weapons, dunno if they "fit" though.

L