Pseudo1

What is Persistent Storage ?

I keep seeing people talking about tents, persistent storage, etc. What exactly is it? Do tents carry over to other servers? If anyone can explain this to me, it would be great :) .

Please excuse the misspelling in the title lol.

Edited by Pseudo1

What storage will do is carry over from server reset, just like you do now with all your gear.  The difference is that you won't have to have the gear on you and you can come back to it later.  I am not sure if it will carry over from one server to another.  I should hope not but I don't know if the devs have worked that all out yet.

In other words, you will be able cache gear, weapons, ammo, food, etc. against being killed or robbed.

Edited by Barnabus

In the mod tents could be placed [usually hidden in remote parts of the map inside pine trees] and you could store loot in them and they stayed after restarts etc. Hoarding simulator 2012.

Edited by a_ruttle

"persistent" in this context means "stays after server reset". Absolutely NO, tents (or any other 'persistent' storage device) will not carry over from one server to another... Example, you set up a tent on one server, and the tent has say 20 item slots. You can 'store' things, beans, bandages, ammo etc in the tent, and those items will stay safe (from server restart) not in your personal inventory.

EDIT for clarification

Edited by BelMarduk

Hmm. I was thinking persistent storage is items (tents, backpacks, etc) that can store and keep your loot upon server restart or exiting the game and that persistent servers are servers where your loot and gear resides and stays only on that server (like in ArmA Life). Is that not the case?

Edited by haknslash

What storage will do is carry over from server reset, just like you do now with all your gear.  The difference is that you won't have to have the gear on you and you can come back to it later.  I am not sure if it will carry over from one server to another.  I should hope not but I don't know if the devs have worked that all out yet.

In other words, you will be able cache gear, weapons, ammo, food, etc. against being killed or robbed.

I think the items you cache at your secret location should carry over if you are robbed or just need to replenish but NOT if you are killed. If you get killed you should end up on the coast with NOTHING but a flashlight and the clothes on your back. There is NO sense in removing a primary fear of in game death that adds so much to the game.

As far as your 'base' is concerned it should just be a hole in the ground where you can bury and camouflage your extra gear in a crate you would have to craft. The rate should have room for:

1 rifle,

1 ammo can,

2 protector cases,

1 fully loaded Mountain or smaller back pack.

and 10 free slots for oddment 

Note: A compact 4 x 4 folding e-tool that when unfolded can double as an effective melee weapon would a nice addition.

sog-entrenching-tool-f08-350x350.gif

Edited by Xbow

Persistent Storage is a feature in which, a player can drop down certain storage items like Tents, or the trunks of Vehicles (In Epoch, there are also lockboxes) that would store as a safekeeping area for items. These storage compartments (like tents) could be raided and stolen from by other players, or destroyed with explosives or ran over by a vehicle (in the case of tents. Vehicles just had to be destroyed).

The thing about these storages though is that, after your own player character's death, you could go back to your persistent storage (vehicle/tent) and retrieve your stored items. So, many people used it as a "dead man's switch" so that they could be re-armed extremely quickly upon death. But, tents and cars aren't marked, so you had to memorize their location. These persistent storage areas can only be accessed in the server they were used in, so you can't hop public servers or private hives and expect your stuff to be there. In public servers, you keep your inventory contents, but your tent stays on the server it was placed.

The thing about these storages though is that, after your own player character's death, you could go back to your persistent storage (vehicle/tent) and retrieve your stored items. So, many people used it as a "dead man's switch" so that they could be re-armed extremely quickly upon death. 

If you die you should lose all your gear even the stuff in your cache. Any other way and DayZ descends to just another game for sweet peas. The fact that the Game designers decided not to be game show hosts that give away an ass load of freebies is a unique attribute of this game and a good thing. I wouldn't be against the player spawning with a good heavy knife and a bottle of water and a small ass pack but that's it.  

If you die you should lose all your gear even the stuff in your cache. .  

In the mod if you died you would lose your tent, after 48 hours though. Also if you setup a tent and died, you lost the ability to dismantel the tent.

Anyway, in my oppinion it would be really silly if all your caches would just despawn right after you die. For example, I follow some guy to his hidden stash and while he is fiddling with his inventory, I shoot him in the back and then *poof* his tent is gone, no loot for me. Ofcourse I don't know what you had in mind when you said that the cache should be lost to you if you die and I understand why you would want the caches to dissappear after death since it would prevent people from simply running to their hidden base from the spawn and immidietly be geared to the teeth.

And back in the mod loot hoarding (and vehcile hoarding) was not that big of an issue since there were people out there actively looking for camps and I'd say most camps were found within a day or two. And nothing was more rewarding than finding someones camp site, taking all the good stuff and then rolling over their tents with their UAZ.

Also, has it been confirmed that "persistent items" actually mean tents/crates/something similiar? What would be really great if it actually meant all the items in the game. Let's say I drop a rifle in a bush and come back 10 hours (and few restarts) later and the rifle would still be there and only ruined items would despawn after some time or after a restart.

Anyway, in my oppinion it would be really silly if all your caches would just despawn right after you die.

I see your point but I was figuring that once the cache owner is dead like if you caught some guy digging up his stash and greased him you could loot the cache for 30 minutes or some other specified period of time. So I agree there should be some persistence even if the owner gets killed. Perhaps there is a way of denying the cache to the former owner like a change of ownership. It would require some thought but I am sure something could be worked out to as you said, "prevent people from simply running to their hidden base from the spawn and immidietly be geared to the teeth."

I see your point but I was figuring that once the cache owner is dead like if you caught some guy digging up his stash and greased him you could loot the cache for 30 minutes or some other specified period of time. So I agree there should be some persistence even if the owner gets killed. Perhaps there is a way of denying the cache to the former owner like a change of ownership. It would require some thought but I am sure something could be worked out to as you said, "prevent people from simply running to their hidden base from the spawn and immidietly be geared to the teeth."

From personal experience in DayZ Mod, I don't see getting fully kitted from your camp after death as such big of a problem since you can't repeat it indefinitely. Sooner or later your camp will be discovered, atleast that's what happened in the mod and mostly because the tents were pretty big and didn't blend so well into the background. All camps were pretty much temporary and for a day or two you didn't have to crawl through the whole of Cherno just to get few of your favorite things. Ofcourse I'll have to see how "the tents" are implemented in the standalone before I can make up my mind about them.

Anyway, I also though about the "denying the cache to the former owner" and I know it's just an example off the top of your head, but this function could be bypassed pretty easily if you have friends. They'd simply take the stuff you want out of the tent and give them to you. But if the devs can figure out a proper way to make you lose your stashed items upon death, I'd be just as okey with that as I would be with the old system from the mod.

EDIT: Fixed a ton of typos

Edited by Klemingway
  • Like 1

Another and much less problematic  approach would be to impose a 'death tax' on the deceased player and draw the payment from the unfortunate hombre's cache if he has one. So when the hombre makes it back to his cache he would find that it is intact or it isn't.

"Anyway, I also thought about the "denying the cache to the former owner"" .......................this function could be bypassed pretty easily if you have friends. They'd simply take the stuff you want out of the tent and give them to you.

That would be easy to prevent and it is another reason for the rapid destruction of the entire cache within a few minutes. Piss ants that search for loopholes and exploits will always be around but stopping them is pretty easy.

For a lot of reasons perhaps persistent storage is a bad idea unless it is of a very, very limited nature So we are back to 5 min of cache looting by the deceased's enemies before it is gone forever

And what about the dumbest thing I have ever seen in the MOD (w epoch). Buying a 700 pound safe sticking it in your inventory and then packing it to where you want to place it..absurd.

Edited by Xbow