Sign in to follow this  
MONKAYPOO0

Anyone like the idea of a more complicated reloading system?

The door swing both ways: Spend an afternoon with a detailed reloading system and it might become second nature too.

I do not see anything wrong in raising the controls complexity (within reason). More things to become better at.

I see what you're saying, and agree to an extent. Reloading, itself, isn't my main concern really. More or less its the numerous other functions in the game that could see a little more streamlining in order to line up with "realism", as it would be. There just seems to be quite a few things in this game that are unnecessarily overly complex. It could be due to the engine of the game itself not really being intended for this sort of interaction within the environment.

That being said, the game is still in alpha. The UI will hopefully see a complete overhaul. And I still sink hours into the game, regardless of the nuanced approach to some of the game elements.

I would be all for extra animations for loading clips, etc, and splitting ammo, but reloading should stay the way it is

I think the reload system should not be key-based at all.

Remove R for reload, make us drag magazines from the gun to our inventory (or the ground), and drag full mags from the inventory to our gun.

This simulates reloading as accurately as possible outside of making everyone buy full-body VR suits and VR goggles.

First of all, it simulates the bad situational awareness you have when you are reloading. You need to be safe to reload. You cannot merely press a button while you are still maintaining full visual awareness. In reality, reloading is an action that requires your attention. You cannot just press a button and have a machine do it for you while you scout the area.

Second of all, it simulates the frantic fidgeting while you are manipulating your firearm. You can choose to do a 'speed reload' by frantically dragging the magazine to 'vicinity' instead of trying to find space for it in your inventory. This simulates a speed reload in real life.

Thirdly, it will somewhat narrow the balance between internal-magazine and external box magazine firearms in DayZ currently. If they also fix the magazine system to allow for weapons like the Mosin to be topped off, they will be much more useful compared to the current state of the game.

All in all, making reloading a more risky and realistic activity would serve to differentiate the gunplay in DayZ from run-of-the-mill CODBLOPS720NOSCOPE games, and make firefights much more intense.

As much as i like this idea, i also hate it, because of zombies. Yesterday i found a 1911 engraved, i didnt have a clip but had bullets for it. I also didnt realise "R" doesnt work or i havent configured it yet. Anyway i decided to test it on a z who was minding his own busniess. I walked up to him and from about 5m away i fired. Nothing happened, z didnt even flinch. As i was pressing R repeatedly and nothing happening, z slowly turned around and jumped at me. I evaded him easily but i had to run away, i forgot to hotkey a mellee weapon. While running, you would think opening an inventory and simply dragging a bullet or another weapon would be a solution, but it isnt. Once you open an inv. you are restricted to only running straight, and z can glide and hit you. Since i had such nice loot, i didnt want to loose it to a one hit death from a z, which sometimes happens.

I need string to make a bow, have all ingredients even arrows, even a fishing rod but apparently i need a shovel to get bait, so i ended up running into hills zig zag, the z followed me for a long time. I ran like a little girl screaming.

I like this.

We need more realism like this.

To carry it a step further into total immersion I think just hitting the W button is too easy to move forward. I say that Rocket should immediately implement the QWOP system for character movement. Then when you escape a zombie you REALLY feel like you earned it.

• Like 1

With that kind of system you'd probably reload your gun longer in-game than you would IRL.

As much as i like this idea, i also hate it, because of zombies. Yesterday i found a 1911 engraved, i didnt have a clip but had bullets for it. I also didnt realise "R" doesnt work or i havent configured it yet. Anyway i decided to test it on a z who was minding his own busniess. I walked up to him and from about 5m away i fired. Nothing happened, z didnt even flinch. As i was pressing R repeatedly and nothing happening, z slowly turned around and jumped at me. I evaded him easily but i had to run away, i forgot to hotkey a mellee weapon. While running, you would think opening an inventory and simply dragging a bullet or another weapon would be a solution, but it isnt. Once you open an inv. you are restricted to only running straight, and z can glide and hit you. Since i had such nice loot, i didnt want to loose it to a one hit death from a z, which sometimes happens.

I need string to make a bow, have all ingredients even arrows, even a fishing rod but apparently i need a shovel to get bait, so i ended up running into hills zig zag, the z followed me for a long time. I ran like a little girl screaming.

why didn't you just punch the sucker out :D

I tend to organize my ammo in a way that i don't have to drag it far. 

Also, a second click for rebolting the mosin ( like in Red Orchestra ) is a MUST.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

why didn't you just punch the sucker out :D

I tend to organize my ammo in a way that i don't have to drag it far.

It was one of those monkey crawlers, last time i tried face to face combat with this type of zombie, it was horrible. He kept on lifting me in the air, im assuming it was the low center of his collider, could never get a decent whack at him, and as i said, didnt really want to loose my inventory to a glitch or something.

But you are right i should have been more prepared, or even better left the zombie alone ha ha

One of the things I've noticed with DayZ is that it assumes that everyone is simply just bad at everything. Period.

Ive been shooting. Various hand guns and assault rifles. Reloading isn't a chore of any kind. Spend an afternoon at a range and swapping out a mag will become second nature.

"Realism" is cute and quaint. But for some reason, in video games, its readily assumed that people are complete and utter morons wrapped in idiots. And while I agree, they generally are; when it comes to basic motor function, they really aren't.

Some things in this game are exceptionally complex: ie, having to put a matchbox in your hands to light a fire. Yeah, no shit you have to do that in reality. However, it takes much longer in a video game than it seriously would take me to do in reality. Why? Videogame Realism.

Exactly! That is what bothers me as well. As if though it would somehow be more realistic if a game emulated every single step that would otherwise be second nature in real-life.

Exactly! That is what bothers me as well. As if though it would somehow be more realistic if a game emulated every single step that would otherwise be second nature in real-life.

How about the need to raise your arms to be able to punch someone. With so much actions needed for dayz player controller, I hope it doesn't become too clunky. Sometimes simple is the best

How about the need to raise your arms to be able to punch someone. With so much actions needed for dayz player controller, I hope it doesn't become too clunky. Sometimes simple is the best

Yeah, I never quite understood that either. Maybe they want to make sure that everyone who follows karate lessons does not bother the instructor with not holding their arms in the right position?

Ah, young grasshoper! You learn quickly!

Why, thank you sensai! I play DayZ!

I have been playing some State of Decay and I can't help but wish that DayZ was so fluent. climbing stairs, dodging zombies, searching for items (And that's a console port!!!) ... Not saying they need to make DayZ less realistic but they definitely need to make it more fluent.

I don't think it's a good idea. The reloading can already be cumbersome and it's not really "realistic". For example for the SKS you would be able to have rounds in your pockets and reload without thinking about it, but in game you need to drag it from inventory, instead of pressing "R" and having your character load each round manually. 

The frantic, panicky gameplay that comes from trying to kill zombies when you don't have a magazine for your gun but only loose ammo is actually what inspired me to write that post to begin with. It makes the game harder in a way that makes sense.

You'd have done just fine if you realized how reloading without a magazine worked to begin with!