Sign in to follow this  
Ransurian

Movement speed penalty and gear.

Survivors shouldn't be able to sprint like Usain Bolt while carrying an assault rifle with hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a heavy axe, a backpack filled to the brim with various equipment, and clothing stuffed with even more equipment and ammunition. We're talking a potential load of over 100 pounds, in many cases -- easily. That should impart a movement speed penalty, at least while sprinting.

• Like 4

so at the moment youd rather they  run like the average human being a few hundred meters and then out of breath?

...No, I'm simply suggesting that movement speed should be penalized based on how much gear a player happens to be carrying. I never mentioned anything about stamina.

Can't disagree since i have already suggest the same :

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202269-my-huge-suggestion-list-long-topic/

Look at part [9]
I have also talk about energy suggestion and NO this is not Stamina, this is based on food, actually we get too fast to starvation state.
In fact the best gameplay mechanic will be this :

Allow player to carry WAY MORE items (more the time pass, more items are added, useless one become useful/must have, and inventory slot don't grow, and some object take too much place for what they are).
Which mean player with virtually an advantage (in fact their is not) some people can survive with a single handgun with ammo box or SKS and ammo + a can opener and bandages, nothing else.
Other will want to be a huge mule, and we should not restrict them from this, after all IRL we can carry more in a backpack.
But two penalty should be here :
Rater than look at the inventory occupation, we should look at the weight of the object that the guy carry, a backpack "full" of 35 (max number of slot on the biggest backpack) can opener or a simple pen (my favorite object for example) will be way less heavy than a backpack with 35 can of food, and also 35 can should not fill a backpack...
That why i talk about more place or better system for inventory, mainly with small object and more grouping system.

But two disadvantages, based on weight, slower constant running speed (walking speed should absolutely not be changed) and same for sprint.
Actually in the game i think (its what i feel) more we run, more we breath heavily and slower we run, but its not a stamina based, its better, when we are exhausted we run slower but don't stop to run, and at least we can do it for long distances, not for 100m, but sprint should be less forgiving...

And in fact we also should consume energy, cause in the game the food weight and calories are apparently taking in account, and more we carry, more we should spend energy and get to starvation state.
But not a ridiculously too much consummation ratio !

And in the other hand, allow player to carry more.

Well there two sides of the coin here. 

1. Yes gear should limit the speed and the range of running

2. With lack of transport it will turn this game in to "Hold W for 2 hours" simulator. 

In real life someone will spent several hours moving between cities to get supply because it's do or die. But you can't expect people sitting in front of their PC to hold W for couple of hours just get some food and water. Even 20 minutes of plain running to meet your friends is a chore. 

Edited by General Zod

Survivors shouldn't be able to sprint like Usain Bolt while carrying an assault rifle with hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a heavy axe, a backpack filled to the brim with various equipment, and clothing stuffed with even more equipment and ammunition. We're talking a potential load of over 100 pounds, in many cases -- easily. That should impart a movement speed penalty, at least while sprinting.

Has been posted already... use the search function

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/191606-running-speed-depending-on-clothing-and-equipment/?hl=%2Brunning+%2Bspeed

With lack of transport it will turn this game in to "Hold W for 2 hours" simulator.

Well, it would cause people to think twice about taking certain items with 'm. The penalty could also be a mixture of things; go hungry/thirsty more quickly, take longer to crouch/go prone and a very small penalty to jogging speed / larger penalty to sprinting speed.

Well, it would cause people to think twice about taking certain items with 'm. The penalty could also be a mixture of things; go hungry/thirsty more quickly, take longer to crouch/go prone and a very small penalty to jogging speed / larger penalty to sprinting speed.

And it would have to be implemented along with some really good anti hopping mechanism because otherwise it will get out of hand even more than it is now.