hotcakes

What's with muzzle flash and smoke?

There's way too much of both. Whenever I fire an automatic there's so much smoke and crap kicked up that it obscures my sights. 

Don't have a pic, look at this:

muzzle-flash.jpg

I thought we moved past black powder. Guess not.

Edited by hotcakes
  • Like 2

There's way too much of both. Whenever I fire an automatic there's so much smoke and crap kicked up that it obscures my sights. 

I thought we moved past black powder. Guess not.

Have you ever shot a real automatic gun before? There is quite a bit of smoke.

Also, the climate is cool and humid, which means more smoke and condensation from firing and breathing.

But yes, it is a little bit excessive at some points.

Smoke is ok, black powder gives much more smoke and smokeless powder still produce smoke.

Muzzle flash on the other hand is ridiculous, it is even beyond hollywood level of ridiculousness.

They've had the same effect since Operation Flashpoint. It's been that way for years. Probably end up seeing a different effect when they come out with the remodeled engine.

They've had the same effect since Operation Flashpoint. It's been that way for years. Probably end up seeing a different effect when they come out with the remodeled engine.

Smoke yes, but there is no such enormous muzzle flash in Arma.

Muzzle flashes are an art asset, they are not engine dependent (like 99% of things in a game).

• Like 1

Smoke yes, but there is no such enormous muzzle flash in Arma.

There is a large flash in ARMA but the configuration is such that it appears transparent during the day and is quite hard to see, in the dark it is fully visible, it seems like in standalone it is the same opacity at all times, maybe this is a placeholder effect while they sort that out, on the other hand maybe it's a design choice.

Smoke is ok, black powder gives much more smoke and smokeless powder still produce smoke.

Muzzle flash on the other hand is ridiculous, it is even beyond hollywood level of ridiculousness.

Black powder ? Not a single gun in dayZ uses that thing. 

Black powder ? Not a single gun in dayZ uses that thing. 

I never said there is black powder in DayZ. I was just responding to the OP.

I never said there is black powder in DayZ. I was just responding to the OP.

How is that related or helpful ? He's talking about muzzle flash in DayZ and you come up with something that isn't in DayZ. 

As other have said, the smoke it OK. The muzzle flash on the other hand is way too much, just like every other game out there. Every weapon that I've fired has no visible muzzle flash during the day and very minimal muzzle flash at night.

How is that related or helpful ? He's talking about muzzle flash in DayZ and you come up with something that isn't in DayZ. 

Guess what? Neither of your posts are related to the threads topic and coalminer's first post was... 

Also, the climate is cool and humid, which means more smoke and condensation from firing and breathing.

I've gotten the chance to shoot an AR-15 with a full auto conversion before. The smoke isn't enough to obscure your vision honestly.

I don't know about the mosin in game, as I've never shot one, but the m44 variant can definitely produce a ridiculous amount of flame when fired. That's part of the reason they're so fun to shoot.

Edit- Shitty video, but shows what I'm talking about.

Edited by gr8mghtyp00

Just read the last line of the original post. Under the image.

I've gotten the chance to shoot an AR-15 with a full auto conversion before. The smoke isn't enough to obscure your vision honestly.

Were you doing it in the fall?

My profile photo is actually of me firing an M16A1 in full auto.  You'll notice the flash and smoke are entirely manageable.  A 5.56 weapon doesn't generate a whole lot of either when fired in daylight under normal conditions.  That being said, the larger the caliber--the more grains of powder in each round.  Weapons without muzzle breaks (mosin, shotguns, pistols, et. al) would have noticeably larger muzzle flashes and smoke plumes to deal with as the unburned powder and gas exits the muzzle all at once in the same direction, whereas your "assault" or "battle" rifles are designed to decrease these effects.

Cheers,

Jimmy

edit: not sure if you can view the image in full enough detail, but you can see shell casings in the air in the photo as they are exiting the weapon.  It was a photo snapped via cell phone a few years back.  Below is a larger version:

mNcZ1Gd.jpg

I shoot my friends Ar-15 all the time, there is no smoke....

I don't know about the mosin in game, as I've never shot one, but the m44 variant can definitely produce a ridiculous amount of flame when fired. That's part of the reason they're so fun to shoot.

Edit- Shitty video, but shows what I'm talking about.

That has something to do with how surplus nugget food runs hot, and how cut-down nuggets are way too short for the powder to burn. 

DayZ's guns really need some serious reworking. 

That has something to do with how surplus nugget food runs hot, and how cut-down nuggets are way too short for the powder to burn. 

DayZ's guns really need some serious reworking. 

It's tough when you rely on another game (ArmA in this case) for your weapons and configurations.  Doing it all from scratch is a ton of work, especially when all of the work is essentially done for you, albeit not 100% correct.

Not a lot of studios are going to bring in a weapons consultant to do things by the book, they'll do some research and come up with a product that looks good enough and suits their requirements for "realistic" weapons--even if true-to-spec would be best.  Can't blame them, not every tiny detail is feasible to get done by the book.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Muzzle flashes are an art asset, they are not engine dependent (like 99% of things in a game).

Ah yeah, forgot about that.

I shoot my friends Ar-15 all the time, there is no smoke....

I think you might want to go shoot your friends AR15 a bit more then, and maybe keep your eyes open. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you are lying to yourself and everyone who reads your post.