Glxlplk

Multiple Hive servers Vs Sandbox

Yesterday I posted about private servers. A lot of people said they don't exist but when .045 stable 1st came out and everything was gliched and fragnet did not work properly, I played on a 64 man server that was private.. So yeah they are there.

However wouldn't it be cool to have a server that had a state or continent size map that could host 40k to 50k people on at the same time? It could grow to "earth" Everyone on one giant server, like a huge sandbox, no looking for low pop servers, no server hopping, and it would make it more realistic. Also make it so that when a character dies the loot they are carrying slowly ruins - pristine, worn, damaged, badly damaged, and finally ruined from exposure to elements, instead of disappearing. Make the server loot respawn once every 48 hours so that players would actually have to travel, hunt and survive, instead of logging in and out at the same barracks, police station, etc. and looting the same building over and over. Loot would be random because players will die all over the place. Make respawn after death far away from where they died so the odds of running back to your dead body are low.

Use population stat's to determined Zombie density and spawn points.  You could make towns and safe zones that are policed by NPC's or (PC's Woodbury) for trading and rest. It would make team play and the need for making friends much greater and could lead to player character controlled towns or zones with laws. It would make role playing a lot more prevalent and player cooperation almost a need.

Also instead of limiting what a player can carry by slots, make a weight limit, and encumbered players move more slowly and can finally obtain more weight than they can carry. Make it so when you have 2 rifles, instead of dropping one every time you change weapons, one goes from your hands to your back and vise versa.

Glxlplk

• Like 1

Yesterday I posted about private servers. A lot of people said they don't exist but when .045 stable 1st came out and everything was gliched and fragnet did not work properly, I played on a 64 man server that was private.. So yeah they are there.

..//..

If you build your own hive for yourself I guess you can play a version of DayZ SA in private, but that's not what people have been discussing on these forums when they say "private servers". Read up the threads on the subject.

At your home in private you can do anything with any game, if you have the skill. But that has nothing to do with the official real DayZ SA the game discussed in these forums. You are talking about some kind of independent unsanctioned mod, there are examples of those around if you look on the web, but they are highly experimental I think. They are not for people who just want to "play".

Are we really talking about the same game ?

Edited by pilgrim

However wouldn't it be cool to have a server that had a state or continent size map that could host 40k to 50k people on at the same time? It could grow to "earth" Everyone on one giant server, like a huge sandbox, no looking for low pop servers, no server hopping, and it would make it more realistic. Also make it so that when a character dies the loot they are carrying slowly ruins - pristine, worn, damaged, badly damaged, and finally ruined from exposure to elements, instead of disappearing. Make the server loot respawn once every 48 hours so that players would actually have to travel, hunt and survive, instead of logging in and out at the same barracks, police station, etc. and looting the same building over and over. Loot would be random because players will die all over the place. Make respawn after death far away from where they died so the odds of running back to your dead body are low.

Use population stat's to determined Zombie density and spawn points.  You could make towns and safe zones that are policed by NPC's or (PC's Woodbury) for trading and rest. It would make team play and the need for making friends much greater and could lead to player character controlled towns or zones with laws. It would make role playing a lot more prevalent and player cooperation almost a need.

Also instead of limiting what a player can carry by slots, make a weight limit, and encumbered players move more slowly and can finally obtain more weight than they can carry. Make it so when you have 2 rifles, instead of dropping one every time you change weapons, one goes from your hands to your back and vise versa.

Glxlplk

That would bring a shit ton of problems, first you would need a super computer to handle 40k players at a decent tickrate, second, you would need like a direct, 10 Gbps  link with every player to have a decent ping all around the world, so no, that is impossible in todays tech, but however what is possible is getting 200 man servers and a much bigger map, like double the size of it, so traveling would pretty much require you to get a vehicle, so at that point, a car that is an endgame thing, turns into a necessity instead of something you get when you're all looted up, and I think that would be cool because that would encourage having a group, and somewhat discourage KoS if you are alone, sure if you already have a group you can just kill people as you may please, but if you are alone, you kinda want a group to be able to get a car an eventually a base.

But as DeathTax said:

You're talking to a group of devs who still are having trouble getting zombies not to walk through objects, fences, and doors. And you think they can handle a 40k pop server? LOL

lol!! get with the times Eve Online has been doing it since 2004 or before... WAY more technical than DayZ, they also crossed over to combine Dust514 from gaming consoles to work with starships controlled by Eve Online players on PC.. Also there is a game on Kickstarter looking for funding that is a virtual world.. it can be done.

Edited by Glxlplk

lol!! get with the times Eve Online has been doing it since 2004 or before...

you're way off dude. How many of your friends rent an Eve Online server ? And how much do they pay a month ?

Find out how DayZ works before you start laughing

You don't rent a server on Eve.. it's one giant server.. 30 to 50k people on at all times. Do some research before you say it can't be done.. it's being done.

Edited by Glxlplk

Eve have another architecture that allowing to use clustered server - a hundred connected each other servers that you think is ONE BIG...

You don't rent a server on Eve.. it's one giant server.. 30 to 50k people on at all times. Do some research before you say it can't be done.. it's being done.

Edited by the mighty beerhammer
  • Like 1

It would be cool, and the technology certainly exists, but at this point in time it would be monstrously expensive to do.

Remember that the devs have to build the entire map, which isn't just a big plain of space as in EVE, which would take a ton of time (a reasonably sized map that could handle tens of thousands of players would need to be exponentially larger (around 40-50 times) and would need to have all of the detail that the regular map does. This also means that tons of new building and environmental models and textures would need to be developed in order to keep the map from just being a monumental redundancy. That also means that a gigantic navmesh would have to be developed in order for zombies and animals to have proper pathfinding, which would take a very long time to generate.)

Optimization would also be very problematic. Having 40,000 players on one map is going to put a HUGE strain on the server and on the client, even if the client is not actively rendering them. That's not to mention all of the zombies that would have to be added, which would still be a nightmare on the server. And let's not forget high population areas; in the current game, Novodmitrovosk with only 15-20 people on a 40 pop server can run like crap on some computers, imagine a city that size with 600 people, out of thousands on the entire map. No thanks.

And what about the bugs? A game of this scale and on DayZ's engine would surely be riddled with them, and the scale would make it very hard for people to find.

And the costs of just building everything, let alone running it, would be immense. Something a company like Bohemia would not be able to easily handle.

What you're suggesting is that a small group of lumberjacks should build the Great Pyramids. It's not going to happen.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

..//..

What you're suggesting is that a small group of lumberjacks should build the Great Pyramids. It's not going to happen.

And of course the small group of lumberjacks DO NOT WANT to build the Great Pyramids. They never intended to build the great pyramids, quite the opposite - they DELIBERATELY devised a small server model for the game, with private admin of the small servers. So let's not belittle BI for their thought-out, planned, purposeful structuration of their gaming framework.

If anyone wants a massive online single-server game, they should go see Sony Online Entertainment - there is a zombie game starting up over there.

I'm surprised to see how conservative the gamer population seems to be (not you Chaingunfighter).. Designers and developers are trying to introduce new ideas and new ways of gaming, to avoid the old standard cliches.. and on the other side, many players seem to want only massive servers and LEVELS.. because that is what they are used to, and they have their habits of play and habits of thought.

This is truely not a flame or rant - I am really confounded that there is such conservativism among gamers.. From the start the most interesting thing about DayZ was that it broke the mold.. a game that you cant win, and it has no levels, no "skills", and volunteer admins paying for their own servers, an "unfair" game. A real, unusual game (by the people for the people, ya know). This made it popular because it was NOT "the same".

But in these forums there are so many posts from players who want to move BACK to the standard games. They want a nice safe MMORPG easy to understand and predictable, everything explained, not "dangerous" - as if there aren't enough of these already.

I'd rather stick with DayZ .. ya know ?

Edited by pilgrim

and on the other side, many players seem to want only massive servers and LEVELS.. because that is what they are used to, and they have their habits of play and habits of thought.

What players?  WoW players?  The players who demanded an easier way to level up and dumb down what was an amazing game for the time it came out?  These are the players who have infected gaming and on the same hand gaming companies have cherished and bought into the simplicity of these exact people to cash in on.  

And of course the small group of lumberjacks DO NOT WANT to build the Great Pyramids. They never intended to build the great pyramids, quite the opposite - they DELIBERATELY devised a small server model for the game, with private admin of the small servers. So let's not belittle BI for their thought-out, planned, purposeful structuration of their gaming framework.

If anyone wants a massive online single-server game, they should go see Sony Online Entertainment - there is a zombie game starting up over there.

I'm surprised to see how conservative the gamer population seems to be (not you Chaingunfighter).. Designers and developers are trying to introduce new ideas and new ways of gaming, to avoid the old standard cliches.. and on the other side, many players seem to want only massive servers and LEVELS.. because that is what they are used to, and they have their habits of play and habits of thought.

This is truely not a flame or rant - I am really confounded that there is such conservativism among gamers.. From the start the most interesting thing about DayZ was that it broke the mold.. a game that you cant win, and it has no levels, no "skills", and volunteer admins paying for their own servers, an "unfair" game. A real, unusual game (by the people for the people, ya know). This made it popular because it was NOT "the same".

But in these forums there are so many posts from players who want to move BACK to the standard games. They want a nice safe MMORPG easy to understand and predictable, everything explained, not "dangerous" - as if there aren't enough of these already.

I'd rather stick with DayZ .. ya know ?

Pretty much.

I mean, I'll never deny that a highly detailed zombie survival mmo with a massive world and thousands of players would be awesome, but that's not what DayZ was intended to, will, or should be. Some day games like that we'll exist, but going on the forum and suggesting they essentially redo the entire game (again) as an entirely new thing is a very stupid endeavor.

And you're exactly right, they devised a small server model. Although they have actually done a lot so that they could make the player caps as large as possible, it's nowhere near the thousands and probably won't be even by release. Even on the experimental 100 player servers the map still felt pretty full, but multiply that by 10 and it will be hard to believe that an apocalypse even happened with so many survivors.

• Like 1

This will never happen in DayZ but H1Z1/Forgelight now has the capability to support a 16,000km² map with over 1000 players. Maybe you should check that game out if you are looking for huge maps with a bunch of players.

What players?  WoW players?  The players who demanded an easier way to level up and dumb down what was an amazing game for the time it came out?  These are the players who have infected gaming and on the same hand gaming companies have cherished and bought into the simplicity of these exact people to cash in on.  

You mean normal people. Normal people have infected gaming. Gamers may call these people "casuals" but actually they are the majority in the gaming community and there is a reason why companies change their games to appeal to this crowd. Money.

Edited by scriptfactory

Topic cleaned - please keep the offtopic to a minimum.

Moderators:
We are people like the rest of you and we are all susceptible to emotions and 16 hour days. Moderators will treat everyone equally, which includes other moderators. Should it be felt that the moderators are overstepping their boundaries, please contact them orBoneboys directly via PM; at most parts of the day, moderators are very friendly people and should be willing to listen. However please refrain from posting it publicly if it involves only a single moderator as it usually ends up turning into a bashing session and would just end up with everyone in the shits.

No, it isn't. Do some research before you spout nonsense.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/09/28/eve-evolved-eve-onlines-server-model/

Just because they track which area you are in and shuttle you to the server hosting that area of the map, doesn't mean it is one giant server.  It can be done, and is being done, but it is also the most expensive way to run gaming servers in history with tons of issues that will never be properly resolved. When 800+ people all decide to move to ONE location it crashes the servers hosting that location. 

Edited by Mercules

Well seeing as I guess my other comment was a bit too bold in my sarcasm I shall say this in hopes to not hurt anyone's feelings: (:P)

Massive server population will never happen in this game. An awesome idea, and could be potentially a really cool thing, but never ever going to happen in DayZ SA. There are just too many factors that hinder such ability

Glxlplk

Let me guess, you're more of an idea guy, and not so much of a software engineer? :D

• Like 1

Well, I am a patented inventor. So your assumption would be correct. :)

Look up "TimeWalk 3D Virtual Reality" on Kickstarter looks like it can be done and is being done. Also even if Eve Online isn't one big server it still works just fine.

Well, I am a patented inventor. So your assumption would be correct. :)

I was implying that you don't know how much work your suggestion translate to :)

Aka that it's far far beyond reasonable considering the scope of what dayZ is currently about.