Sign in to follow this  
Solreal

Just shoot me.

So I've only been playing the game the past 2 nights, for a total of about 6 hours. I love it. I do have one gripe, however, and it is not with the game, or its mechanics, but with an apparent mindset of some of those playing.

If you see me rummaging through an old house looking for supplies, and leaving me alone is not an option for you, that's fine. But don't VOIP me to drop my axe, put my hands up,  and turn around slowly.

Just shoot me, srsly.

I am not 'dynamic content'.

I am not a fly placed here for you to pull the wings off of.

i am not going to pause my evening of gaming in order to provide you with role-playing entertainment.

This may seem like a dick move on my part but, really, who wants to spend their night being 'virtually' mugged for some random internet stranger's enjoyment?

Not I. I'll go ahead and re-spawn, you can loot my corpse. Thanks.

Edited by Solreal
  • Like 6

Hey, at LEAST their theatrics gives you a chance to kick their asses......

I ran into a couple guys on the eastern outskirts of Berezino, in the train station the other night. I was starving and finally found a potato that I could eat.

As I was getting my daily dose of starch, a fully geared guy comes in and doesn't say anything. I said Hi, and he just steps to the side and his buddy comes in brandishing a rotten zucchini. He offers to "Pleasure me" while his buddy starts closing doors... I knew where this was going, so I ran at him and punched him in the head twice, he asked why I punched him and I said, b/c you're threatening to sodomize me with a zucchini, then I ran out the remaining open door. All I heard him say was....don't punch me, I just want to give you pleasure, come back, we won't kill you"

I yelled back as I was huffin it around the building "NOT TODAY, WIERDO"

Fortunately I escaped these two green thumbs.

Either way, I was ready to die that day...................

Edited by Mystic Bagel
  • Like 5

The solution is to attack whoever tells you to stick em up. You'll either die or you'll end up with a shiny new gun... or you can play along, you never know, some folks may check you out and then help you out. It's happened to me before.

• Like 2

This may seem like a dick move on my part

Only thing I agree with your post is this, yes you are a dick. Im not going to argue anymore in this thread because I was banned 2 weeks ago because of a thread like this that went south pretty quick :P

..//..

..//..

If they shoot you - they shoot you

if they menace you, wait till they're close and then throw a grenade at your feet

that's fun

(this is the best use of grenades. Keep one with your medical supplies)

- and also you get to shout  "die like dogs, witless nerd bandit scum!"

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3

Only thing I agree with your post is this, yes you are a dick. Im not going to argue anymore in this thread because I was banned 2 weeks ago because of a thread like this that went south pretty quick :P

Ah, that didn't take long. I'm a dick for not wanting to play the "virtual victim" in a video game, for someone else's entertainment?

Makes sense dude. Please, do tell more. Or do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Edited by Solreal

Ah, that didn't take long. I'm a dick for not wanting to play the "virtual victim" in a video game, for someone else's entertainment?

Makes sense dude. Please, do tell more. Or do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

If you would rather be shot on sight than mugged, I don't think this game is for you.

Player interaction is part of what makes DayZ awesome, and being robbed is a big part of player interaction.

Not to be rude, but perhaps you would rather play something like ArmA 2 wasteland. Same map, all killing.

If you would rather be shot on sight than mugged, I don't think this game is for you.

Player interaction is part of what makes DayZ awesome, and being robbed is a big part of player interaction.

Not to be rude, but perhaps you would rather play something like ArmA 2 wasteland. Same map, all killing.

No, I'd rather play this.

You make that statement as if I don't have a choice what happens in-game with regard to muggings, so I should just move on to avoid any unwanted frustration, thanks so much for your concern. But the thing is, I do have a choice: If I'm 'told, asked, or directed' by another person to drop my gear, I'll simply point a gun at them and force the situation.

Being mugged in a game is not something I will be taking part of. Being shot and then having my corpse looted? Sure, sign me up! :thumbsup:

Also, why does 'not wanting to be mugged' = no player interaction whatsoever? It doesn't, yet that has been implied twice in this thread. The same peep that came up behind me and told me to put my arms up could have said, "Hi, I'm right behind you just chilling and I'm friendly. Would you like to go for a walk along the beach and look for canned tuna with me...?" That would elicit a different response from me. One that would not have included a forum post.

Edited by Solreal
  • Like 2

I do not kill on sight, if you have a weapon I'm going to maintain the upper hand and make sure that you drop it. If you want to play "suicide by cop" and turn with a gun/axe or rush me then you'll receive that which you seek to give.

I play this game for the interaction, I've had far more fun meeting people and fighting with them than fighting against them. Simply killing someone who is no threat, unaware of your presence and has nothing of value on him to loot... is just easy and weak.

If someone is threatening to shoot you if you don't comply and you'd rather die, then don't comply.

If you don't wanna talk, then don't. If you don't want to fight then don't. But being seen doesn't mean you have to die, why you're so eager to I haven't the foggiest.

Edited by Spartacus Rex

it is the player interaction/roleplaying that makes this game thrive. I get it, it's not your thing, so maybe this game isn't for you. I too am playing lonewolf right now, trying to learn the game, the map. So yeah I am avoiding other player like the plague. But once I feel a bit more comfortable I will up the risk and seek out player, and also up the fun. Some days you will be the hero, some days you will be the dick, some the victim, some the victimizer.

But being seen doesn't mean you have to die, why you're so eager to I haven't the foggiest.

Not sure what you're referring to. i have not once said i want to be shot on-sight, i said don't come up behind me and tell me to put my arms up.

Let me try to summarize "Don't try to mug me, just shoot me in the back or i will turn around with a gun and shoot you in the face. I will not empty my bag for your entertainment or so you can feel like you had some super awesome role-playing experience at my expense.

Edited by Solreal

I am not 'dynamic content'.

i am not going to pause my evening of gaming in order to provide you with role-playing entertainment.

Yes you are, it's a multiplayer game. Welcome to having other people around you. A single player game can have silent AI that kill you for no reason just as easily, only a multi-player game has player interaction. If you hate player interaction, which includes verbal ones, the easiest route is to not play multiplayer games. 

Spinning around and shooting the guy holding you up is nearly as entertaining for them as talking to them. Trust me, you will like the fact that they interact with you a lot better than, "You Are Dead." popping up over and over with no indication as to why you just died. Was it a sniper from 800m out, a guy who saw you grab the fireax he was heading for, or some scared guy who thought you were the one putting rounds near him despite you not having a visible gun. 

Not sure what you're referring to. i have not once said i want to be shot on-site, i said don't come up behind me and tell me to put my arms up.

Let me try to summarize "Don't try to mug me, just shoot me in the back or i will turn around with a gun and shoot you in the face. I will not empty my bag for your entertainment or so you can feel like you had some super awesome role-playing experience at my expense.

That is your choice... but you don't get to tell us to stop making ours which is to not shoot you on sight but to try and talk to you. 

it is the player interaction/roleplaying that makes this game thrive. I get it, it's not your thing, so maybe this game isn't for you. I too am playing lonewolf right now, trying to learn the game, the map. So yeah I am avoiding other player like the plague. But once I feel a bit more comfortable I will up the risk and seek out player, and also up the fun. Some days you will be the hero, some days you will be the dick, some the victim, some the victimizer.

I'm starting to think that "getting mugged" is the only form of "player interaction" in this game....

So i am fine hanging out and hunting with others.

I'm fine with hunting zombies with others.

I'm fine with scavenging and chatting over VOIP with others.

But because I prefer to get shot instead of mugged, this game isn't for me cause i don't like "player interaction". lmao.

But because I prefer to get shot instead of mugged, this game isn't for me cause i don't like "player interaction". lmao.

No.. the issue is that you think every, "Freeze, don't turn around and put that gun away." is going to turn into a mugging. I'm unlikely to kill you if I can avoid you. I'm unlikely to tell you to freeze unless I feel I need to approach you for something... even friendship. However, if I do feel the need to approach you I am going to do so where I have the advantage and you will die if I feel you are the least bit hostile. Why? Because if I do not then I will die. 

Just because it starts out with me pointing a gun at you, doesn't mean it will end with bullets flying... unless you predetermine the outcome like you seem inclined to do. 

That is your choice... but you don't get to tell us to stop making ours which is to not shoot you on sight but to try and talk to you. 

Try and talk to me? " Put your hands up and drop all your gear " That isn't talking to me, that is virtually mugging me... for their entertainment. 

And like i said, it wont happen.

And I'm starting to figure out that it isn't me that is frustrated with the way this is playing out, but the person that wants so badly to mug someone.

Edited by Solreal

at least you haven't been held up. handcuffed, had your blood stolen, then been left to die... yet LOL

• Like 1

I can understand what Mercules is saying. IF you have a fully geared guy, approaching strangers saying, "Howdy stranger, would you like to go sardine can hunting with me?" is a pretty sure fire way to be having to respawn in 60 seconds.  

I DO understand the principle to unarm a player you catch by surprise, in order to remove the risk of getting blown away when all you want to do is ensure your safety while engaging another player.

Edited by Mystic Bagel

at least you haven't been held up. handcuffed, had your blood stolen, then been left to die... yet LOL

That is exactly what I am going to avoid. But apparently that makes me a dick for not being "interactive"...

Try and talk to me? Put my hands up and drop all my gear? That isn't talking to me, that is virtually mugging me, for their entertainment.  And like i said, it wont happen.

And I'm starting to figure out that it isn't me that is frustrated with the way this is playing out, but the person that wants so badly to mug someone.

Walk up to someone and talk to their face. 75% of the time you will be shot before you get a word out. 

Walk up behind someone and tell them, "Hi I'm friendly please don't shoot me." and about 50% of the time they will act friendly and shoot you as soon as they can arrange it.

Walk up behind someone and make sure they can't kill you easily(AKA "Put away your weapon.") and about 25% of the time they will play along until they can kill you. 

I'll play the odds.

I have no intention of mugging you. If I wanted your crap I would simply pop you in the head and take it. What I want is to talk to you but most of us who have played since the Mod understand that doing so puts US at great risk and so will minimize it by approaching you carefully and at our advantage. I have actually given a guy a spare can opener. I'd rather give it to them than be forced to kill them when they try and hit me with a shovel to take it. 

I did so at gunpoint, and refusing to let them get close to me. 

That is exactly what I am going to avoid. But apparently that makes me a dick for not being "interactive"...

No, you're a dick for assuming that me protecting myself = me molesting you and then figuratively sticking your fingers in your ears and going.... "Llaalaalalalalaalala caaaaaaan't heeeeaaaar yooooouuuuu." when people try to explain why they approach you that way and that it doesn't mean you are going to be mugged. 

I can understand what Mercules is saying. IF you have a fully geared guy, approaching strangers saying, "Howdy stranger, would you like to co sardine can hunting with me?" is a pretty sure fire way to be having to respawn in 60 seconds.  

I DO understand the principle to unarm a player you catch by surprise, in order to remove the risk of getting blown away when all you want to do is ensure your safety while engaging another player.

True, the guy could have said, "Hey, I'm terribly afraid of you. The way you never saw me and ran into that building with that long-range axe. It scarred me so instead of continuing on my way I chased after you with my M4 pulled....btw, can you empty all of your gear, it's really scary gear."

He didn't convey any intent other than to rob me. Which, as i have stated repeatedly, is not something i will be taking part in. He can loot my corpse.

Walk up to someone and talk to their face. 75% of the time you will be shot before you get a word out. 

Walk up behind someone and tell them, "Hi I'm friendly please don't shoot me." and about 50% of the time they will act friendly and shoot you as soon as they can arrange it.

Walk up behind someone and make sure they can't kill you easily(AKA "Put away your weapon.") and about 25% of the time they will play along until they can kill you. 

If this is how the game is, then what is all this "player interaction" that keeps being lobbed at me? Seems like player interaction is simply allowing yourself to be taken advantage of. Or hoping that you wont.

In a post-apoc world like that, being a loner and KOS'n seems like the normal safety progression.

Edited by Solreal

No, you're a dick for assuming that me protecting myself = me molesting you and then figuratively sticking your fingers in your ears and going.... "Llaalaalalalalaalala caaaaaaan't heeeeaaaar yooooouuuuu." when people try to explain why they approach you that way and that it doesn't mean you are going to be mugged. 

holy hypothetical nonsense batman.. the guy chased me into a building, when i never even saw him, cause he was "protecting himself"? Sure dude. I'll be the dick. and wear it like a friggin medal.

Edited by Solreal