Sign in to follow this  
Lithium1056

Just once

Just once I'd like a player to tell me to halt or just acknowledge they exist before shooting me in the back of the head. I know there is very little to do once you gear up at the moment but when I clearly have more gear than you can carry how about just asking for some loot bro? This is the apacolypse you wouldn't shoot every facking person that isn't trying to eat your face would you?

• Like 1

well...most of the time, when i get even decently geared and i see someone that is less geared then me (and sometimes more geared) i try to be friendly saying i wont hurt you. that is untill they try to kill me. Then ill just shoot them and call it a day. I wish more people would try to lean more towards the hero side instead of bandit all day and all night.

Again I'm sure as stable catches up to the level the mod is that things will change, but still I'm a nice guy I'll share some supplies if possible then move on. Idk just can't wait for more features and actual to servers

People cant be bothered with social engineering these days, they want everything they can get and they want it yesterday, putting a bullet through your head is the quickest and easiest way to achieve this. It sucks and isn't the way a lot of people play but it does seem to be the norm these days :-(

I agree with you OP. This does seem to have changed since I started playing a couple of months ago. The social interactions that used to make the game much more interesting to play seem almost non-existent. 

Apart from kiddie campers, it would help if people were more willing to speak. For example, my most recent really bad death ('bad' meaning I was really well geared and enjoying roaming) came when I thought a player was a Z at the secret base, ran down a corridor, got my 1911 out to meet the assumed Z sprinting towards me, and opened up instead on a well geared player about 20m from the door. He had an AKM - I didn't have a chance. He looked like a lone wolf, like me, If he'd said something we could have agreed to quietly go our separate ways. :(

Personally, I get a kick out of helping people. I'd also like to roam a bit with some other people instead of having only deer and the occasional Z for company. Sniff....

Last Friday a friend and I were playing and came across 3 fully geared guys at the secret base.  We all met each other at the same time after we announced we were there and not one of us aimed our weapons.  One of the guys in the 3 man squad we encountered said to an extent "It's refreshing that 5 fully geared players aren't shooting each other at this moment".  We chatted for a few minutes then went our separate ways.  Later on in the evening my friend and I were in a town and someone rolled out from between 2 buildings and shot my friend in the head without saying a word....he later died and I didn't say a word before shooting him.  I'd rather talk to people than randomly shooting at someone but sometimes you have to.  Keep at it....there are more of us out there that like to communicate than you think.  

Just once I'd like a player to tell me to halt or just acknowledge they exist before shooting me in the back of the head. I know there is very little to do once you gear up at the moment but when I clearly have more gear than you can carry how about just asking for some loot bro? This is the apacolypse you wouldn't shoot every facking person that isn't trying to eat your face would you?

That is a big risk to take to actually talk to someone instead of just shooting them. Lets say I am pretty well geared, full gorkas, food, can opener, binoculars, akm with one mag for example. Then I see this fully kitted player running around with an AKM. Okey he most likely has more gear than I need, but at this point I am not spesifically searching "a  bunch of loot" but rather certain objects, like AKM magazines. Well how willing do you think the guy would be to give me his mags if I asked him? He could be in the same situtation that I am in that he only has the mag he has in his weapon. So there would really be no point in asking that mag from him.

Also starting a dialog with another player is risky for so many reasons. First he might just rise his gun and fill me with holes, secondly he might have friend on skype and running around in the same area and as we are talking the other guy comes around behind me and shoots me in the back.

On the other hand, what could you possible gain from not killing another player?  Ammo and food are so common that there is really no need to trade for these. Most likely you don't need a "friend" to loot with, since you cannot really trust him. I've tried this couple of times and in the end, in 99% of the cases it has ended into a shoot out which were never initialized by me and that is why I have most often ended up dead in these situations. If you are in a high value loot area or close to a one, I would say there is a very good chance that the player running around with AKM and high cap vests has already taken everything interesting with him from that place, so why should you let him run away with gear that could be rightfully yours?

Finally, the reason why many people rather take their chances in an impossible gun fight than get mugged is because currently the only thing you have is your gear. It doesn't matter if you die or if you get robbed the end result is the same, you will lose your gear. Even with impossible odds against armed robbers you still have a small chance of keeping your gear if you use flight or fight but if you submit to their demands there is no way you'll keep your stuff. All the good gear will be taken from you. Weapons, high capacity vests, magazines, ammo, scopes and all the other rare or pain-in-the-arse to find pieces and bits. All will be gone.

It is funny that in DayZ mod there actually was one reason why you wouldn't want to die over your gear. The reason was stats. Many people propably didn't care about those, but to be honest, when I loaded the game and it said "Day 7" and I knew I had played from few to several hours everyday, I felt just a tiny bit proud that I had actually managed to survive that long with one character. Which ofcourse made it even more saltier when I died later that day.

I am not suggesting that they should add stats or anything like that to the Standalone but I think I made my point, your gear is all you have at the moment and if you lose your gear it is basicly the same as if you would have died.

Many times I have thought about how to make this game less deathmatchy, but to be honest, I don't really see any good way. Unless you use really gamey mechanics like hostility timers (if you want to be hostile to other players you'll have to activate hostility which would take some time and vice versa from hostile to friendly), safe zones, factions with forced no-friendly fire... but like I said, all these feel really gamey and I think they don't belong to DayZ.

• Like 1

I see we're back at this argument, Again.. 

My name is Preacher, And I kill people. I have a problem. I kill them, Take their shoes, and leave them in a pile in the street. When someone walks up to view my piece of art, I shoot them. Take their shoes, and add them to the art work.

I also cut off their hands and eat them. My stomach has the rumblies, that only human hands can satisfy.

In all honesty though, Most the people who play DayZ played the mod, or watched videos before playing. Meaning they go into a the game with an impression; " People are going to kill me " I don't know how many times I've heard the " If you're not on a VoIP program, Don't trust them " .. Some of my fondest memories of DayZ are with people I've never met before. Let's use this as an example; I met a guy named Bill in elektro supermarket. I could have off'd him, He'd never had known, Instead we spoke for about 5 minutes, and I learned he was new, Being an upstanding chump, I took him to stary. Not long after, I got eaten. As I died I told him to take all my stuff, I'm not coming back, it was nice to meet him, and good luck in his adventures.

Sounds honky dory, Right? Wrong. 4 months later, I was playing on a server.. It happened to be named " Bills' Server ".. I didn't put 2 and 2 together because well, statistic probability dictated that It wasn't him. However, after around an hour, I see a message pop in side chat. " Preacher, Is that you? " After 20 minutes or so of chatting, It turned out to be him after all.. Long story short, His friends didn't like me, Started a fight, We won, His friend who was a badmin on his server banned us all ( All being the group I played with at the time )

What I'm getting at is, It doesn't really matter how shit plays out. One day friends, Next day at war. <3

For example, my most recent really bad death ('bad' meaning I was really well geared and enjoying roaming) came when I thought a player was a Z at the secret base, ran down a corridor, got my 1911 out to meet the assumed Z sprinting towards me, and opened up instead on a well geared player about 20m from the door. He had an AKM - I didn't have a chance. He looked like a lone wolf, like me, If he'd said something we could have agreed to quietly go our separate ways. :(

I agree with the OP too. But your example is kinda bad, Im a freindly player and always try to interact by voice before shooting someone, but If I met you in that situation where you fired upon me, I would also kill you on sight because if you had bad intentions or not, how would I know?, all Im seing is a crazy surviver trying to kill me. Being fired upon doesn't exactly make me wanna communicate ^_^

Edited by Kaboki

Funny, without first reading the OP's post I just made a thread stating the exact opposite. Clearly, to each his own... :)

It's to each his own yes, and it's alpha and there ain't much else to do yes, but I don't shot first infact I might start if I don't keep getting shot in te back, lol.

I agree with the OP too. But your example is kinda bad, Im a freindly player and always try to interact by voice before shooting someone, but If I met you in that situation where you fired upon me, I would also kill you on sight because if you had bad intentions or not, how would I know?, all Im seing is a crazy surviver trying to kill me. Being fired upon doesn't exactly make me wanna communicate ^_^

I think you're missing my point a little. He was right to shoot me in that context. But I only opened up on him because I thought he was a Z and I think he saw me before I saw him.

Anyway, in terms of incentives, there is a touch of the classic Prisoners' Dilemma here. In a one-on-one situation, if someone just fires, the outcome for both players collectively is worse because they have a roughly average 50% chance of dying (moderated, according to context, by the first shooter having a slightly improved probability of survival).