RTMiata

Pallet transportation

I know cars and bicycles are a ways off but what about rail travel? I am not talking about trains....

Take one part pallet, one part skate board, add tracks and wheels. It would use the railroads already in place and has kind of a scavenger aspect to it. As for simulation goes we know it works in real life!!

bun9wtfpydlzm5t8ey6q.gif

Credit:

http://jalopnik.com/this-guy-changed-urban-transportation-forever-using-20-1602327005

Just the video:

http://vimeo.com/86508660

Saw this on reddit.

This guy is bad ass.

I think it would work for Dayz. Just something different.

There's so much in the way of rail travel.  I work on a 3ft gauge railway, the crew jokes that we could just remove the tires and run on the rims of the golfcart we use to get around the yard and use it as a speeder (One of the old standard gauge railways on the Big Island simply replaced the wheels of a Studebaker with flanged wheels and welded the steering column in place and made an inspection car).  Kinda wish I could see the wheels he's using but they don't need to be much to run on rails.

Off topic:  I can only imagine the cops reaction to this --

Cops: "Sir, you can't do that."

Man: "Sure I can, what law says I can't."

Cops: "..."

--> one year later 10 new stupid laws are on the books.

Back to the topic... I think this could be awesome for DayZ.  Maybe not pallets, but I'm sure we could find all kinds of junk to make similar scooters out of.

That almost doesn't even make sense. The game doesnt even have those.

Anyone find it ironic that video was taken in Bratislava, the same place where the 2nd developing studio for DayZ is located?

• Like 1

I had the thought of something similar but not the same, and I feel that this is as good a place as any to put it.

So, playing with a couple friends, we were laughing about the silly way you hold logs, and how it was impossible/in-feasible to store logs in inventories. this made me come up with the awesome idea to use them in a mid-tier crafting recipe. My idea was to add carts that would move along rails by being pushed. Slow, defenseless and limited in direction... But would be used for large scale storage for a group of players. Imagine a guy or two pushing a cart full of ammo, food, and other provisions down the rail with a scout taking point and a person or two sticking close by for protection. The cooperation is large scale.

plus the resources I considered for the job were difficult/endangering to collect.

Four rail-car wheels (near rails).

Three pipes (axles with a center pipe to connect).

Ten-fifteen logs for the "bucket" (assuming a tree drops more than one).

A hacksaw/axe must be present in inventory.

All of these would have to be carried one by one to the place of construction, and of course duct tape to tie it all up. (wouldn't be improvised without it.)

The cart would work similar to a player's inventory with the ability to "equip" it with up to three backpacks, two ammo boxes, and two first aid kits. and I feel you should be able to push it off the tracks with two people in a 30 sec animation. I picture this: http://mimianddi.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dsc02358.jpg

http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/27__06_04_41/Cart2.jpgdd0a08c4-453a-40a6-921a-0d3bb2a7e641Large.jpg

whaddaya think?

Edited by Neshimi

Shit...I want to try and build one of these now, really wish I could see the wheels they are using.

It is simple but would work only in a slope...

The Cambodian improvised rail cart is still looking better in my opinion.

It is simple but would work only in a slope...

The Cambodian improvised rail cart is still looking better in my opinion.

In the video he moves along the flat surfaces like you would a skateboard.

I had the thought of something similar but not the same, and I feel that this is as good a place as any to put it.

So, playing with a couple friends, we were laughing about the silly way you hold logs, and how it was impossible/in-feasible to store logs in inventories. this made me come up with the awesome idea to use them in a mid-tier crafting recipe. My idea was to add carts that would move along rails by being pushed. Slow, defenseless and limited in direction... But would be used for large scale storage for a group of players. Imagine a guy or two pushing a cart full of ammo, food, and other provisions down the rail with a scout taking point and a person or two sticking close by for protection. The cooperation is large scale.

plus the resources I considered for the job were difficult/endangering to collect.

Four rail-car wheels (near rails).

Three pipes (axles with a center pipe to connect).

Ten-fifteen logs for the "bucket" (assuming a tree drops more than one).

A hacksaw/axe must be present in inventory.

All of these would have to be carried one by one to the place of construction, and of course duct tape to tie it all up. (wouldn't be improvised without it.)

The cart would work similar to a player's inventory with the ability to "equip" it with up to three backpacks, two ammo boxes, and two first aid kits. and I feel you should be able to push it off the tracks with two people in a 30 sec animation. I picture this: http://mimianddi.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dsc02358.jpg

http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/27__06_04_41/Cart2.jpgdd0a08c4-453a-40a6-921a-0d3bb2a7e641Large.jpg

whaddaya think?

Cool, I just like the idea of utilizing the tracks. Maybe because I find myself there often. That idea goes a little bit bigger than just a pallet but multiple options are good. Definitely hope to see some contraption on the rails one day.

In the video he moves along the flat surfaces like you would a skateboard.

Are you kidding ? There is a light slope. On the second view, the guy is going down a bridge in the city.

Nevermind, anyway the cambodian train is looking better imo.

Edited by massacrorBKK

Are you kidding ? There is a light slope. On the second view, the guy is going down a bridge in the city.

No I am not kidding you watch the video that I linked, not the gif in the thread. There is a video that is a few minutes long, on the vimeo link, where he pushes on flat land.

No I am not kidding you watch the video that I linked, not the gif in the thread. There is a video that is a few minutes long, on the vimeo link, where he pushes on flat land.

No I am not kidding you watch the video that I linked, not the gif in the thread.

I'm caught ! I only watched the gif... btw it doesn't change my opinion. I keep thinking this is looking too cool, and the Cambodian train is looking more apocalypse style.

Maybe the difference between a guy making this for fun and people making that for necessity.

Edit : here is what I'm talking about.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/187580-train-suggestion/?hl=%2Bcambodia+%2Btrain

Edited by massacrorBKK

They should add this in when they add benny hill music to the zombies running.. I would say no.. it seems a bit.. odd and out of place.. interesting none the less tho