Zombie Milkman

When Do We Get Hovercars?

The thread title is satire, and I have no right as a newby noob to this game to weigh in on the hard work and suggestions of the gamers who have been providing feedback to help get this game off the ground, but after decades of playing countless fps titles, and having really been bitten by this game and its potential, I beg anyone in the community to resist turning this into BF4 zombie edition, or CODz, or any of the typical fps games out there with a zombie add on mod.  IMO, to have a unique gem you have to set yourself apart, and in shooting for realism less is more in a world where everything is scavenged out before you even get there.  I see many threads in here asking for so much that would steer this unique game towards the already done to death team deathmatch, with a zombie flavoring and piles of tech/weapons/etc., that even if you do get what you think you want, for the love of all that is holy please allow some of us the raw, poorly stocked, tiny variety hardcore survivalist game that this could be.  I understand needing to cater to market demand (I want a .40 USP with laser sight, adjustable grips in 4 color choices, and an earth orbiting kinetic energy delivery system!!!!1!) but what are the odds you would find one, in good condition, in this area?  .0001% Maybe?  I hope I am not alone, and please don't take this as criticism of anyone wanting a mainstream fps like the rest of those other, similar, generic, dime a dozen games.  I understand the alure.  I'd just like an option that steers more towards realism. 

Edited by Zombie Milkman
  • Like 2

I understood absolutely nothing with this.

• Like 3

Basically, please avoid too much variety of weapons, vehicles if any would even be viable, or loot quantity.  I've seen posts more of everything, and for me and hopefully a few others, scarcity enhances the experience.  Some on here would like fully stocked arsenals that look like a sporting goods catelog.  I shop those in real life and would like to see it avoided in an apacolyptic fps.

I hope that clarifies things a bit, and sorry for the bad editing in the opening post.

I think he's trying to say, Don't turn it into Overwatch or Breaking point.. Cuz, Cheytac.

I do like what you have listed here, but one thing I'd still like to see is a huge variety of weapons. Right now, finding a SKS is not even close to an accomplishment because, due to the low variety of weaponry, they spawn all the time. Having a large variety of weaponry enables the weapons chance of spawn to be a bit more spread out.

• Like 1

I get what you are trying to say, but I think you are missing a big piece of the puzzle here. Variety of guns doesn't necessarily mean the Call of Duty/Battlefield/Counter Strike arsenal, and it doesn't mean every family house is going to be packing a wall of modern firearms. Just in my tiny slice of life here in rural Canada I've seen:

1) Innumerable varieties of larger caliber hunting rifles and shotguns, including muzzleloaders. Plenty of different small caliber varmint rifles (.22, .17HMR, etc)

2) Plenty of historical firearms from flint lock relics to a Garand/Mosin/Enfield/SKS's (a nice one goes for about $200 here, can you imagine closer to home?) etc.

3) Handguns of various variety, including an FN .45, 1911 and a CZ75 (got to go shooting the CZ not long ago.)

4) A large .50 caliber "sniper rifle".

5) I've even seen the "high grade" stuff on the walls of small town gunshops.

I understand you don't want piles of everything. However you have to remember that a huge variety actually helps to make things more scarce. Just because you have 50 rifles doesn't mean every house is going to spawn 12. If the developers do loot distribution and limitation appropriately (which is part of the reason we are testing here in early access) then that rifle you are carrying on your back might be completely different from most people, and maybe even takes different ammunition. You might loot for hours and only find a bit of ammo for something completely different that someone else is looking for. Hell you might resort to using your precious few bullets to go on a rampage in hopes of more and never find any from all those bodies.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle, variety is the way to go, because variety doesn't necessarily mean there will be more of it in each server.

Edited by Hells High

I get what you are trying to say, but I think you are missing a big piece of the puzzle here. Variety of guns doesn't necessarily mean the Call of Duty/Battlefield/Counter Strike arsenal, and it doesn't mean every family house is going to be packing a wall of modern firearms. Just in my tiny slice of life here in rural Canada I've seen:

1) Innumerable varieties of larger caliber hunting rifles and shotguns, including muzzleloaders. Plenty of different small caliber varmint rifles (.22, .17HMR, etc)

2) Plenty of historical firearms from flint lock relics to a Garand/Mosin/Enfield/SKS's (a nice one goes for about $200 here, can you imagine closer to home?) etc.

3) Handguns of various variety, including an FN .45, 1911 and a CZ75 (got to go shooting the CZ not long ago.)

4) A large .50 caliber "sniper rifle".

5) I've even seen the "high grade" stuff on the walls of small town gunshops.

I understand you don't want piles of everything. However you have to remember that a huge variety actually helps to make things more scarce. Just because you have 50 rifles doesn't mean every house is going to spawn 12. If the developers do loot distribution and limitation appropriately (which is part of the reason we are testing here in early access) then that rifle you are carrying on your back might be completely different from most people, and maybe even takes different ammunition. You might loot for hours and only find a bit of ammo for something completely different that someone else is looking for. Hell you might resort to using your precious few bullets to go on a rampage in hopes of more and never find any from all those bodies.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle, variety is the way to go, because variety doesn't necessarily mean there will be more of it in each server.

That's fair, as long as the scarcity is kept up as well.  What I find humorous is the number of people I bump into with all the best gear.  Did you see the movie The Road?  The dude had a fairly crappy revolver with 2 bullets left.  At every second during the last half of the film you knew, you thought about how many bullets he had.  If the hottest women in the world jumped out of the screen you would have been like, "Hey, that chick is smoking hot, and Viggo has exactly two bullets left in his rusty revolver that may not even work!"  Even a rusty sharpened spoon becomes an ever present item in your very limited equipment bag in an environment like that. 

I am old school.  I played Dungeons and Dragons, like 1981 advanced version, and there was a saying that came from that entire genre called "Monty Haul Treasure."  You kill something, you get ten jazillion gold, guantlets of planet destruction, etc.  After a while you begin to miss that first moment when you got your very first silver piece.  It just meant more.  In this game if they go for the uber hordes or even 4 items in every house thing I see a lot of these days if you are the first one through an area it gets boring.  Things lose luster/value.  I played a game yesterday, one of several respawns where I travelled more than people in Lord of the Rings.  Every frickin town was looted, every zombie was triggered... I ran from a zombie only to lose him behind a cow, then watched from a tower as the zombie chased the cow through a town.  It was a beautiful moment to savor.  Anyway, I kept striking out town after house after police station after grocery store... empty, empty, empty...  I went all the way to dieing from starvation.  Then when I spotted food through a window of a house by the coast of all places I was set upon by a zombie who chased me for like 5 miles.  I would have sworn the zombie was the first instance of an AI hacking a player because when I lost her by a good mile I would stop and look, and she would break from standing to chase me again.  Anyway, on death's door from starvation I made it into an area that yes, WAS LOOTED OUT, but I managed to out think the previous looters and find a place easily overlooked and fed myself and got some items.

I killed no one.

I got no MP5 w/ silence, folding stock, lazer sight, or mini nukes

I found no jackets, pants, or backpacks.

Luckily no one can steal water pumps.

The fresh orange I found was like a mountain of gold.  I just don't want this game to lose that kind of value system.  I would like very much for the devs to keep a toggle under options to totally dumb the resources down no matter what the final version of this game is, and would very much like to see Uber-hardcore servers where a scarcity of items is a given no matter who server-hops in.  That's where I am going with this.

Edited by Zombie Milkman
  • Like 1

When vehicles are added in people are gonna go nuts hopping all over to find one.

I would love it if a bit later the devs are like "hey we added in vehicles that you can piece together but totally forgot to spawn in spark plugs"

Oh the rivers of tears... epic.

• Like 1

Well if you wanna walk for 1 hour to reach an city,go for it,but we want vehicles yo

If you actually think that vehicles are going to be the end all be all of convenience, you're sorrily mistaken.

You must find one first, repair it to working order by finding various parts, keep it fuelled up and keep it from being stolen. Just because they ad vehicles does not mean that you will instantly have a means of travel across the map.

These people screaming for vehicles really have no clue on how hard it's going be to get one, maintain one and keeping one.

OT: I am pretty confident that the SA will not become a game like the others you speak of OP. It is pretty clear by watching Hicks' live streams and Rocket's posts past and present.

When vehicles are added in people are gonna go nuts hopping all over to find one.

I would love it if a bit later the devs are like "hey we added in vehicles that you can piece together but totally forgot to spawn in spark plugs"

Oh the rivers of tears... epic.

Spark plugs need to spawn in separate/single and you need at least 4 aaaaand there needs to be different types of spark plugs depending what car or motorbike you are trying to repair :P   

So the spark plugs from your UAZ model 1971 will not fit in that police Lada from 1975  :lol:

That's fair, as long as the scarcity is kept up as well.  What I find humorous is the number of people I bump into with all the best gear.  Did you see the movie The Road?  The dude had a fairly crappy revolver with 2 bullets left.  At every second during the last half of the film you knew, you thought about how many bullets he had.  If the hottest women in the world jumped out of the screen you would have been like, "Hey, that chick is smoking hot, and Viggo has exactly two bullets left in his rusty revolver that may not even work!"  Even a rusty sharpened spoon becomes an ever present item in your very limited equipment bag in an environment like that. 

I am old school.  I played Dungeons and Dragons, like 1981 advanced version, and there was a saying that came from that entire genre called "Monty Haul Treasure."  You kill something, you get ten jazillion gold, guantlets of planet destruction, etc.  After a while you begin to miss that first moment when you got your very first silver piece.  It just meant more.  In this game if they go for the uber hordes or even 4 items in every house thing I see a lot of these days if you are the first one through an area it gets boring.  Things lose luster/value.  I played a game yesterday, one of several respawns where I travelled more than people in Lord of the Rings.  Every frickin town was looted, every zombie was triggered... I ran from a zombie only to lose him behind a cow, then watched from a tower as the zombie chased the cow through a town.  It was a beautiful moment to savor.  Anyway, I kept striking out town after house after police station after grocery store... empty, empty, empty...  I went all the way to dieing from starvation.  Then when I spotted food through a window of a house by the coast of all places I was set upon by a zombie who chased me for like 5 miles.  I would have sworn the zombie was the first instance of an AI hacking a player because when I lost her by a good mile I would stop and look, and she would break from standing to chase me again.  Anyway, on death's door from starvation I made it into an area that yes, WAS LOOTED OUT, but I managed to out think the previous looters and find a place easily overlooked and fed myself and got some items.

I killed no one.

I got no MP5 w/ silence, folding stock, lazer sight, or mini nukes

I found no jackets, pants, or backpacks.

Luckily no one can steal water pumps.

The fresh orange I found was like a mountain of gold.  I just don't want this game to lose that kind of value system.  I would like very much for the devs to keep a toggle under options to totally dumb the resources down no matter what the final version of this game is, and would very much like to see Uber-hardcore servers where a scarcity of items is a given no matter who server-hops in.  That's where I am going with this.

I wish they take this game toward "the road". Where having one or two bullets is a luxury. I wish to die of starvation just for once in this game. But it just isn't going to happen. Once dayz is finished it will be just another Arma plus these annoying little things called zombies which are just a nuisance. I hope I'm wrong.

You are right they have a chance to make something unique here, we just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Or just find a guy who has one workin car,kill him and its urs :)

this, tho of course half the other players will be thinking the same thing!

Once dayz is finished it will be just another Arma plus these annoying little things called zombies which are just a nuisance. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't worry, you are wrong - they'll never finish the game... But on a more serious side note: DayZ already attracted way too many people who actually want a tactical team shooter with squads and helicopters and everything. And they'll defend their stance with "freedom of play-style" and accuse everyone else of being just bad at the game for wanting more survival and less ARMA. They're the larger group by far and sooner or later the developers won't have a choice but to cater to their needs (or make less money).

• Like 2

Don't worry, you are wrong - they'll never finish the game... But on a more serious side note: DayZ already attracted way too many people who actually want a tactical team shooter with squads and helicopters and everything. And they'll defend their stance with "freedom of play-style" and accuse everyone else of being just bad at the game for wanting more survival and less ARMA. They're the larger group by far and sooner or later the developers won't have a choice but to cater to their needs (or make less money).

This guy just won the forums.

Beans.

• Like 1

I do like what you have listed here, but one thing I'd still like to see is a huge variety of weapons. Right now, finding a SKS is not even close to an accomplishment because, due to the low variety of weaponry, they spawn all the time. Having a large variety of weaponry enables the weapons chance of spawn to be a bit more spread out.

You realize there is no low variety.  Hoppers are destroying servers.  There is enough loot to go around on a server very very easily right now.

There is no reason why they can't cater to both.  Uber Hardcore mode, and Monty Hall mode for the COD/BF4 crowd.  It will be important though to make it impossible to hop between both kinds of servers.  And I dare say anyone playing in Uber Hardcore mode who is cheating would stand out like a sore thumb.  Our community would finger them quickly, but I doubt those who cheat would have any interest in a world that doesn't yield super munchkin hordes to begin with.  For that reason alone I hope the devs have a choice between uber goody and uber hardcore modes.

There is no reason why they can't cater to both.  Uber Hardcore mode, and Monty Hall mode for the COD/BF4 crowd.  It will be important though to make it impossible to hop between both kinds of servers.  And I dare say anyone playing in Uber Hardcore mode who is cheating would stand out like a sore thumb.  Our community would finger them quickly, but I doubt those who cheat would have any interest in a world that doesn't yield super munchkin hordes to begin with.  For that reason alone I hope the devs have a choice between uber goody and uber hardcore modes.

While it's possible to have two (decisively) different modes in theory, I'd say it's highly unlikely that the developers will implement anything beyond the current hardcore/regular modes. Which, as you might have noticed, are pretty much the same damn thing with different camera perspectives. Balancing ain't easy and there are so many much more pressing problems at the current stage that this kind of thing will come at the very end of the development, if at all.

I said they'll never finish the game but I was only half kidding - I'd be actually surprised if they don't abandon the project before it reaches the beta stage (meaning all planned features will be in the game and it's just bug-squishing from there on). Much like you, I really, honestly hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect it to go beta before late 2015 either way.

This guy just won the forums.

Beans.

Thanks! I was expecting the usual flames - it's nice to get some encouragement for once.

You realize there is no low variety.  Hoppers are destroying servers.  There is enough loot to go around on a server very very easily right now.

Actually, it is low.

variety =/= quantity.

:facepalm:

how nice, a facepalm, that sure adds a lot to the discussion. Btw I'm pretty sure you got misunderstood the post you quoted before and out of nowhere started talking a out server hopers which has nothing to do with the actual variety in weapons.

how nice, a facepalm, that sure adds a lot to the discussion. Btw I'm pretty sure you got misunderstood the post you quoted before and out of nowhere started talking a out server hopers which has nothing to do with the actual variety in weapons.

Again, if all you find are SKS's it's because hoppers have already looted the server of all the other weapons.  Not hard to figure out.  Variety is fine right now in this "ALPHA".   It's not like they aren't going to add more guns still, just not the right calibers because, we, the players, don't care as long as the gun goes pew pew  :rolleyes: