toasted duckie

I just KoS'd :(

Hey guys, 

I think I just went through my most intense DayZ moment yet...  decided to share my story and get your views.
First of all, allow me to say that I play on HC only since a couple of months and that I am not a KoS-er, I want to go for interactions. If I meet someone who acts hostile I'll try to take him out, but I'm a talk first, shoot second kind of guy...

So I spawned back in DayZ, somewhere West of Berezino. I'm heading south/southwest, looking for villages to loot and find some new clothing. Some of my stuff is ruined. I'm pretty well kitted, with a Mosin, LRS, 1911 engraved and a MP5 with 1 mag. As I see a village, I decide to scope it out a bit before moving in. After a few min of observation, sure enough I spot a player running around the edge of the village. He's armed with an SKS and is wearing a gasmask. I remember one of my personal rules, which is don't trust guys with masks. I want to stalk him a bit, but suddenly he has disappeared. A little voice in the back of my mind said I had to move back to higher ground, even a smaller voice tells me he might have a friend who spotted me, which is why he went for cover, but I quickly decide that the odds are to small. As I move back, I'm startled by the brutal sound of 7 or 8 SKS shots, fired in fast repetition and VERY close by. I start hauling ass along the forest line (can't go into the forest as it is too steep uphill). 

Looking behind me I can make out a figure chasing me, weapon drawn. I'm now actually noticing how my hands start to shake and I'm breathing heavily. There's a smile on my face, because I realize DayZ is the only game that I've played which gets my adrenaline flowing and even though I HATE KoSers, they are the direct cause for this extremely tense feeling I'm having. 

I manage to make it to Berezino and hide inside a green house at the edge of the city. I decide to stay there for a good 15 min. to scope out the hillside and see if my persuader(s?) is/are following me. After 15 min I decide that the coast is probably clear and I'm making a plan to escape Berezino. I do NOT feel save in the city and want to GTFO. I decide to haul through the city, towards the coast and then head up North into forested area. 

This is where things went really quickly, as I leave Berezino North (towards Rify) I spot a player coming the opposite way. He hasn't seen me and I duck for cover behind a three. I then spot a second player, wearing a payday mask running along, but much closer to me. I'm a lone wolf and I'm convinced that these guys will kill me when they see me. I don't think I can get away unseen and I aim through my LRS, only to see a third guy, also wearing a payday mask cross the view at mere meters away. I take a shot and hit him. He drops to the floor, but is moving. I switch to my MP5 and put a few bullets in him, he goes unconscious or dead and the second guy ducks and rotates towards me, weapon drawn. I manage to put a couple of 9mm on his contour and he too falls to the floor. I don't know where the first guy is or if there are any more people in the group, but I don't want to find out. I put my MP5 away as I haul ass towards the North/North West. As I'm getting out at least one guy is saying goodbye by putting Mosin fire along my line of travel. 

I'm shaking and ALL I can think of is that I want to get out ALIVE. I don't care about their gear, I don't care if the guys I shot will live or if they're already dead... I just want to get out. 

After an intense couple of minutes of running I manage to get to safer grounds.

Holy shit, second time the MP5 saved my ass. I'm officially in love with it.

Opinions? Does this count as KoS?  I was convinced that it was either me or them, I was shot at before, possibly by the same group. 2 (and I THINK all 3) were wearing payday masks, all had weapons drawn. I need a break from the game for a bit... Damn

• Like 6

Welcome to DayZ.. officially. 

;)

• Like 1

no two fucks should ever be given for killing anyone wearing a mask

• Like 4

If anyone has a payday mask on - that's an instant KoS for me. These types of players are generally going to shoot you for no reason, three of them definitely suggest they are out for trouble.

I wouldn't say you KoS'd. You needed to go somewhere, likely to come into trouble because of these guys and were unable to avoid them.

End of the day though, KoS means nothing. It's a judgement call that is yours and yours only.

• Like 2

that mask = kos is such a stupid stereotyp bullshitting...

You were in a position, where the masked guys eventually would have spotted you, your position was badly defensible against 3 players who would try to flank you and you could not escape without being spotted. You had no other option, than to confront these guys. To try to communicate in such a situation would have meant to give up the element of surprise and you needed that to even the odds.

I also would choose to attack in such a situation (cornered, no escape route, no good cover).

There are so many situations, where KOS is not necessary, unless you seek it actively, but this was not one of them.

Edited by GuzMaan

Oh i miss those times when i started shaking when i saw someone. 

Part of the reason why I only play a couple of hours a week. Bought the early access on release, but just under 200 hours clocked. :D

Edited by Toasted Duckie

3 guys in payday masks running around Berezino = bandit clan...if you had not killed them they would have killed you I guarantee it

Only thing you did that was dumb was go anywhere near Berezino...avoid that place like the plague if you do not want to die.

Edited by trev186

that mask = kos is such a stupid stereotyp bullshitting...

But is it really? DayZ SA gives people the opportunity to show and manifest the way they play through clothing and gestures. 

Also: if this "stupid stereotyp bullshitting" exists, wouldn't that imply that people play by it? Meaning people would not wear masks and shoot those that do wear masks? Meaning that the stereotype becomes true by the sole fact that people acknowledge it as a stereotype?

You did what you felt was right and that's all there is.

They were armed so it was fair game anyway.

I've thought about it for a bit, and if I could change the title of this thread I would probably change it to "Narrow escape" or "Got some bandits" or whatever to share my story...

The more I think about it, the more certain I am that these guys were up to no good and that I had no choice in this situation. 

Does this mean I'm going to shoot at people who look scary? 
No, I'll go on my way, or attempt to make contact... The satisfaction of meeting people and both coming out alive, or someone trying to kill me and me getting the better of them adds SO MUCH MORE to the game that shooting at people who are scary looking...

Those guys with their payday masks, weapons drawn, strolling the coast... Fuck em, they had it coming, they were bad men.

Payday + Gasmask = KoS for me.

It moves = KoS it

• Like 1

I think it only counts as KOS when you KOS regardless of who your opponent is and whether they're much of a danger to you.