Mutonizer

Scorped rifles need to go or become ULTRA rare

Hunting Rifles, pistols, and shotguns in general are highly common among a civilian populace (Especially rural areas) for hunting and recreational use. Even in a post-Soviet country I'm certain they're not that hard to come across. Same with optics, you can find optics cheap that work just fine, and just as evenly abundant in sporting stores.

Also, the fact that firing off said hunting rifle, Lee-Enfield, DMR, etc. Will promptly ring the dinner bell for just about every zombie in the area, which in my opinion is just fine.

Which bring me to my next topic:

Going to agree that CZ needs to be a little bit more rare. Its so easy for any newb to get a CZ and start sniping people.

We should make everything rarer because its so easy for any newb to get a gun and start killing people /sarcasm. Observation and awareness is whats getting people killed not the guns they use.

My only qualm with the Alpha so far is the rareness of Soviet era weaponry so far.

We should make everything rarer because its so easy for any newb to get a gun and start killing people /sarcasm. Observation and awareness is whats getting people killed not the guns they use.

Obviously not everything...hence the suggestion thread. I have no issues with guns, shotguns and even the lee (which can shoot people quite far as well, just no scope) because they're not easy mode if you're goal is to kill other players and these weapons are actually among the ones people use for zombies.

As said, scoped rifles are ONLY there to kill players, in mostly total safety and they are VERY common (it's not rare to find a couple in barns alone).

Unlike other weapons, which create social interactions most of the time, or at least a wee bit of danger since the aggressor needs to get closer, the scoped weapons do not provide any interactions, nor any danger, hence are detrimental. At least that's my queue on it.

But as said before, since 1.5.7, they've kinda stopped being a problem overall since whoever shoots them anywhere close to a zombie area, will spend all his ammo getting rid of whatever he aggroed or be a little bitch and disconnect.

The fact is, if we were to experience an apocalypse right now, id be able to acquire scoped rifles probably more easily than any other type of gun (NZ being a great hunting nation...and I live 1 block away from a hunting supplies store).

The fact is' date=' if we were to experience an apocalypse right now, id be able to acquire scoped rifles probably more easily than any other type of gun (NZ being a great hunting nation...and I live 1 block away from a hunting supplies store).

[/quote']

Probably yes. Though that's not the point I was trying to make. :)

If you take the game as an experience, nobody in their right mind would ever use any scoped rifle against zombies. They're slow as fuck, low ammo and insanely noisy. These are 100% player killer weapons, and are the easiest to kill players with (again, less with 1.5.7, we'll see with 1.5.8)

Combine that with the fact that the easiest thing in Dayz currently is to be a bandit, since you just know you're gonna kill everyone anyway (no doubt, unlike survivors, which is their downfall usually), you end up with the easiest of easy mode in Dayz and that is to simply kill everyone, all the time, from a safe distance and for no reason whatsoever.

Instead of Dayz, we'll get DayHungerGames :)

But we'll see with the coming patches and that sure as shit doesn't prevent me from playing and enjoying it. I'm just saying and suggesting. But what do I know right? I'm the moron who plays almost only with xbow and a flashlight :)

Also, if an apocalypse comes around, I won't go the frikkin rifle, I go for the hunting recurve bow and katana. No way I would want to make any sound whatsoever, ever.

Obviously not everything...hence the suggestion thread. I have no issues with guns' date=' shotguns and even the lee (which can shoot people quite far as well, just no scope) because they're not easy mode if you're goal is to kill other players and these weapons are actually among the ones people use for zombies.

As said, scoped rifles are ONLY there to kill players, in mostly total safety and they are VERY common (it's not rare to find a couple in barns alone).

Unlike other weapons, which create social interactions most of the time, or at least a wee bit of danger since the aggressor needs to get closer, the scoped weapons do not provide any interactions, nor any danger, hence are detrimental. At least that's my queue on it.

[/quote']

First off, Scoped rifles are not easy mode. The most obvious reason being: Tunnel Vision, and with the hunting rifle in mind sound.

Secondly, I mainly use a DMR, which I kill more zombies with than players. Plus, they are no-where near as safe seeing how I have to frequently move to avoid being counter sniped by someone with another scoped weapon. Or being rushed by my flank by someone without one.

Thirdly, I have great social interactions with other players by being able to provide overwatch for them and being able to scout for them, giving them safety to go on with our mission.

First off' date=' Scoped rifles are not easy mode. The most obvious reason being: Tunnel Vision, and with the hunting rifle in mind sound.[/quote']

Why not, but you're the sniper and the chance of having people just "stumble" upon you randomly isn't that great.

Secondly, I mainly use a DMR, which I kill more zombies with than players. Plus, they are no-where near as safe seeing how I have to frequently move to avoid being counter sniped by someone with another scoped weapon. Or being rushed by my flank by someone without one.

You kill zombies...with DMR. Wow, how's that working out for you in 1.5.7? I mean, you snipe one, then 30 rush you. Are you telling me you actually can snipe running zombies with a DMR? Geeesh, kudos man.

And what about the ammo? You magically spawn them or just perma camp military bases?

Thirdly, I have great social interactions with other players by being able to provide overwatch for them and being able to scout for them, giving them safety to go on with our mission.

That's social interactions with people you already know and you're most likely using teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble/whatever, which has nothing to do with what I described.

Sorry but drop the tools and start playing the mod by itself. You comment here but you're not even playing the same game.

Sure, to each his own and you're free to play however you want, but that's like you're playing poker with people while using xray vision to see their cards, then start giving advice on how to play poker like a pro...

edit: I could be wrong in the fact that you're playing with a group you know and communicate via external tools. If so, sorry and kudos, that's pretty smooth play. Otherwise, see comment above :)

First off' date=' Scoped rifles are not easy mode. The most obvious reason being: Tunnel Vision, and with the hunting rifle in mind sound.[/quote']

Why not, but you're the sniper and the chance of having people just "stumble" upon you randomly isn't that great.

You kill zombies...with DMR. Wow, how's that working out for you in 1.5.7? I mean, you snipe one, then 30 rush you. Are you telling me you actually can snipe running zombies with a DMR? Geeesh, kudos man.

And what about the ammo? You magically spawn them or just perma camp military bases?

It doesn't really have to be people "stumbling" onto me (which has happened), it's the fact of people being aware to me. I can only cover one area effectively at a time using magnified optics (Which that window gets smaller the close the target is to me) rather than someone using irons on an accurate weapon being able to canvass an area better than I can, because they don't have something limiting their peripheral vision. Having a scoped weapon only gives me a significant advantage at range due to magnification, shooting someone at range with a Lee-Enfield can be just as effective to certain distances, with a better situational awareness to add to that.

Sneaking through a town with a scoped weapon (Magnified, not red dot) is certain suicide with zombies running around, limiting my effectiveness with said rifle almost to 0 because of me practically shooting from the hip. Making me switch to a sidearm.

To the ammo thing, no I do not magically spawn anything because I'm not a cheater in any shape way or form. Plus, you can ammo for the DMR in other places other than military bases http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html such as fire houses and deer stands.

Quick edit: Having a weapon with magnified optics can easily throw me into situation where someone with even a makarov can out-do me easily due to visibility.

I agree' date=' especially in the US, that these guns are trivially found and I'm surprised you didn't all kill each other already but that's not the point.[/quote']

I also agree, look at CounterStrike ffs, removing the AWP fixes the game. Perhaps no rifles should have scopes & should be found seperately. Also, one would have to fix the scope. Maybe TWS or NV scopes could be found (but have to be fixed with multiple parts like heli and run out of batteries)

the fact that you're even comparing dayZ to counter strike makes your opinion totally invalid

I would say remove the scoped assault rifles like the M16A2 ACOG (far too powerful IMO, I have one atm, and it is so ammo efficient) but there should always be sniper rifles. The CZ 550 is pretty balanced since it only holds 5 rounds and ammo isn't too common. Keep sniper mag size low, keep sniper ammo rarity low. The price of using a sniper is being very restricted with how you use your ammo, but being very good at PvP.

to those that snipe alone in a forest, hunting boar all day - go play farmville,my little pony or tamagoatse games. really, just make server options without the noobcannon/AWP/sniper, just like CS - solved. haters now go forth and hate :)

nah, you're straight up wrong. Balance makes sense in CS because it's a lot more like a sport. This is a sim, and when weapons are found randomly around the place, the idea of balance goes way out the window.

comparing this to CS just makes you look retarded, and will never endear you to any arma fan, ftr.

I think I have a solution to make all the people who dislike anything that has more range than the makarov. Play it like it a mod for arma and dont stand still in a field.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that if you keep moving, nobody rational will waste their ammo on you. I dont exactly find myself rolling over a pile of rifle ammo very often, so Im not going to waste 5 shots trying to shoot a moving target at long distance. Thats simply foolish, and they can easily take cover by then, otherwise they are the more foolish one.

Simply because you people refuse to play smart, be that could be a "challenge", doesnt mean the game should alienate a large group of players.

the fact that you're even comparing dayZ to counter strike makes your opinion totally invalid

Totally agree and also don't want "balance", this is not what the mod is about I believe.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that if you keep moving, nobody rational will waste their ammo on you[..]

The issue usually was not open fields and the like, it was towns/villages where players need to sneak about carefully for zombies. That sneaking, even if you're careful, will leave you very vulnerable to a long distance shooter with zero risk for him while another player hunter but without a scoped rifle, will have to follow you up in town, creating risk, which I'm fine with.

But that changed with 1.5.7 as I said.

comparing one fps against another - THAT'S INSANE! (*sarcasm if you can't tell)

anyway I'm guessing mostly none of you shoot rifles IRL.

there is no WIND = no challenge = remove snipers or scopes all together (or add wind)

you can see through foliage more clearly than up close.

I am a SSAA state competition winning marksman (I can send trophies for proof if you want).

lmao, just shut up asap. What a hopeless appeal to authority. Even if you were the recognised expert on shooting, ever, it wouldn't make your suggestion valid. The game isn't about balance.

And it's not "one fps against another" - The games have entirely different design objectives.

lmao' date=' just shut up asap. What a hopeless appeal to authority. Even if you were the recognised expert on shooting, ever, it wouldn't make your suggestion valid. The game isn't about balance.

And it's not "one fps against another" - The games have entirely different design objectives.

[/quote']

yeah you've never shot a rifle...

lmao' date=' just shut up asap. What a hopeless appeal to authority. Even if you were the recognised expert on shooting, ever, it wouldn't make your suggestion valid. The game isn't about balance.

[/quote']

also, I never mentioned balance ever, period. I just wan't the scope rifle NOT to be a noob-canon like it is ATM. it's just plain dumb. like your reductionist and pernicious posts.

Totally agree and also don't want "balance"' date=' this is not what the mod is about I believe.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that if you keep moving, nobody rational will waste their ammo on you[..]

The issue usually was not open fields and the like, it was towns/villages where players need to sneak about carefully for zombies. That sneaking, even if you're careful, will leave you very vulnerable to a long distance shooter with zero risk for him while another player hunter but without a scoped rifle, will have to follow you up in town, creating risk, which I'm fine with.

But that changed with 1.5.7 as I said.

wow, I never compared the two, just stating the server option allowed turning off sniper rifle. I agree with nearly everything you state otherwise. calm down bro, just adding suggestions.

[/quote']

yeah you've never shot a rifle...

.22s, .308, as well as some shotguns and pistols, actually.

But that's besides the point, I didn't want to get into a faggy argument about who's a cooler guy with you because it's not actually relevant.

comparing one fps against another - THAT'S INSANE! (*sarcasm if you can't tell)

anyway I'm guessing mostly none of you shoot rifles IRL.

there is no WIND = no challenge = remove snipers or scopes all together (or add wind)

you can see through foliage more clearly than up close.

I am a SSAA state competition winning marksman (I can send trophies for proof if you want).

This is the worst argument I have ever seen on this forum, and that's saying something. Was it in a junior division? That is the kind of thing I would expect from a twelve-year-old. Winning a state shooting comp doesn't make you some be-all-end-all authority on whether scoped rifles belong in this mod or not. I do shoot, quite reguarly actually and with military rifles as well as civilian, and I don't see how that bears any relevance to this mod. I could argue you have no idea which way is up when it comes to game design, which would actually be both true and relevant, unlike your 'argument'. CS and DayZ are in no way comparable, even the most casual of gamers can see the difference.

There might not be wind, but the challenge is to find a player and get yourself in such a position where you can shoot them and not immediately be counter-sniped or rushed by half a city's worth of zombies. This post smacks of either wanting to validate your massive ego, or wanting something removed because someone managed to pick you off ingame and you're mad about it.

Grow up. And stop giving Australian gun owners a bad name while you're at it.

There might not be wind' date=' but the challenge is to find a player and get yourself in such a position where you can shoot them and not immediately be counter-sniped or rushed by half a city's worth of zombies.

[/quote']

clearly you don't shoot and never have. seriously hitting a target from 700m+ is extremely difficult with a scope and wind is always accounted for. 12 year old? massive ego (ego means 'YOU' / 'YOURSELF' in greek) are these pernicious comments warranted? grow up friend, this IS a suggestion thread, not a flame wall.

Nobody's saying windage isnt a thing... It's just not a problem in the mod...

There might not be wind' date=' but the challenge is to find a player and get yourself in such a position where you can shoot them and not immediately be counter-sniped or rushed by half a city's worth of zombies.

[/quote']

clearly you don't shoot and never have. seriously hitting a target from 700m+ is extremely difficult with a scope and wind is always accounted for. 12 year old? massive ego (ego means 'YOU' / 'YOURSELF' in greek) are these pernicious comments warranted? grow up friend, this IS a suggestion thread, not a flame wall.

Ah yes, I disagree with your ridiculous demands so clearly I am lying about owning rifles, lying about shooting them regularly, and lying about having spent time in the military. As opposed to you, who felt the need to justify their holier-than-thou arguments with "I'm an SSAA state champion, I have trophies to prove it". You are acting like a spoiled child and I would be surprised if you are older than your late teens, since no mature adult I know of feels the need to belittle anyone who disagrees with them and then claim to be the sole source of knowledge and experience in the matter.

Here's a news flash for you: this is a game. If you want the shooting aspect to be 100% realistic, go outside and shoot, because as far as I am aware not a single game to date has portrayed shooting beyond 500m accurately enough to really mimic reality. I am not disputing that longer-range shooting in this game is unrealistically easy, which you would know if you had any reading comprehension whatsoever and could see past your own perceived superiority. I am saying that it is a non-issue, because vehicles in this game are not realistically hard to repair, helicopters are not realistically hard to fly, and you can reload a belt-fed LMG in the same amount of time it takes for someone to reload an M16. By your logic, we should remove vehicles, repairing, and machine guns.

Your argument basically consists of "I am a champion shooter and none of you know what you're talking about, scoped rifles need to be removed because they are not 100% realistic, if you disagree you've clearly never shot". Great attitude, mate.

[/quote']

Ah yes, I disagree with your ridiculous demands so clearly I am lying about owning rifles, lying about shooting them regularly, and lying about having spent time in the military. As opposed to you, who felt the need to justify their holier-than-thou arguments with "I'm an SSAA state champion, I have trophies to prove it". You are acting like a spoiled child and I would be surprised if you are older than your late teens, since no mature adult I know of feels the need to belittle anyone who disagrees with them and then claim to be the sole source of knowledge and experience in the matter.

Here's a news flash for you: this is a game. If you want the shooting aspect to be 100% realistic, go outside and shoot, because as far as I am aware not a single game to date has portrayed shooting beyond 500m accurately enough to really mimic reality. I am not disputing that longer-range shooting in this game is unrealistically easy, which you would know if you had any reading comprehension whatsoever and could see past your own perceived superiority. I am saying that it is a non-issue, because vehicles in this game are not realistically hard to repair, helicopters are not realistically hard to fly, and you can reload a belt-fed LMG in the same amount of time it takes for someone to reload an M16. By your logic, we should remove vehicles, repairing, and machine guns.

Your argument basically consists of "I am a champion shooter and none of you know what you're talking about, scoped rifles need to be removed because they are not 100% realistic, if you disagree you've clearly never shot". Great attitude, mate.

i repeat, clearly you have never even shot even a pistol. moderate wind will push a .22 round half a foot off target @ 50M. My bro won a comp where the wind was high, based on grouping alone. I just want to see actual players in the game for a change, expecially in australia - camper noobs (like you) are a prob.

You're fucking delusional if you assume anyone who doesn't agree with your view 100% has never shot. In fact, I'm actually beginning to wonder if you're the one full of it, since you appear so hung up on being the one true authority in here.

I own two rifles, my family owns a further four and a shotgun, all of which I shoot regularly. I spent time in the reserves as an infantryman. I have probably done more shooting than you have, and while I can't claim to be a state champion and wave my giant shooting dick around on an internet forum, I can shoot averagely at worst. Can I hit things 700m away? I've never tried, but I hope to soon. Do I regularly take shots past 700m ingame? No. The longest I've shot at someone in DayZ was about 300 with the CZ-550, and even with an F88 with the standard 1.5x optic at that range I know I can hit a man-sized target in real life in anything up to a fairly strong wind, because I have done it. Most of the time when I shoot players, they are within 150m of me, usually point-blank. I much prefer creeping right up on them, it's a lot more challenging.

You are making a giant fuss about people making 700m shots in a game, at which distance they still have to account for ArmA 2's rendition of ballistic drop (when most gamers are used to hitscan weapons which may as well be laser guns), leading players due to latency, and they have to actually spot the player at that distance in the first place without being killed. The furthest I have been fired upon and hit from by another player would be around 300 metres, and on all occasions but one it took them several shots to finally get me. While I would fully support the integration of wind, it is a comparative non-issue and certainly does not warrant removing scoped weapons from the game.

I have been hit, and hit people at, over 50m with the PM consistently in this game. LMGs reload unrealistically fast. I think there are a lot more pressing issues than scoped rifles not being entirely realistic.