Mutonizer

Scorped rifles need to go or become ULTRA rare

Exactly. Hunting rifles should be by far the most common weapons in the game' date=' and certainly far more common than pistols are.

[/quote']

wat :huh:

are you seriously implying there are more hunting rifles in circulation in the world than pistols?

In Russia PM is by far the most popular choice. also, in Russia only 9% of all civilian population own a gun.

if you take Chernarus for a part of Soviet Union/Russia, your whole argument about having hunting rifles widely available in DayZ goes down the drain

In rural areas, like the map we are placed in, the most common guns are shotguns and hunting rifles. There's no reason to reduce the spawn of the CZ just because it's scoped and OP doesn't like to be cautious. /thread

In Russia PM is by far the most popular choice.

What makes you say that? Do you have a source?

I would have thought some baikal shotguns or rifles...

Google says so. I actually thought, if you took Chechnya into account, that AK would show up as the most popular.

Google says so. I actually thought' date=' if you took Chechnya into account, that AK would show up as the most popular.

[/quote']

Link me?

it's in Russian, but I just looked it up again, and it actually says, "the most popular weapon for self defense is the PM". which of course is irrelevant.

another link (dated 2001) does say the majority of weapons in the private sector are "smooth barrel rifles" (smoothbore weapons), which means you could be right. until I can find an article on the current state of affairs, I retract my previous statement

Yeah, i would imagine something smoothbore. Is the saiga rifle marketed much in russia, or mainly for export? I've never read up much on that particular firearm. But i would imagine in most countries smoothbore would be most prominent.

Makarov - tbh this surprised me a bit. Glock must be 2nd then.

Me and some Survivors just got trapped in a barn by a sniper. whilst i was slightly annoyed at loseing my hard earned supplies the sniper didnt seem to be overpowered, we died when we looked out windows for too long and i died when i climbed a tower and used my flashlight (Im an idiot right?) but we killed one of the bandits and all we had was one Winchester and like 4 mak's

(it was night btw)

...And i can only imagine it was an extremely scary/exciting experience. There's no reason to nerf anything really, and stories like that show it.

meh....Ill take a lee enfield over a CZ 550 almost any day. I do wish the dragunov was in as thats my choice weapon in ARMA. Ive got 900m+ kills with it in singleplayer many, many times and the PSO is th best range finding scope ever, IMO. The M107 will mess up your world, though, Too bad the draw distance is gimped hard in this mod

I cant wait until he puts in the garand, though. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2959

Is the saiga rifle marketed much in russia' date=' or mainly for export?

Makarov - tbh this surprised me a bit. Glock must be 2nd then.

[/quote']

as far as I know Saiga's very popular in other countries, but I couldn't tell you much about the situation on the home market. I can tell you that Baikal seems to be fairly popular (750000 units produced each year).

as for PMs, I stand corrected yet again, those are "traumatic" (non-lethal) versions. apparently handguns are illegal in Russia

...And i can only imagine it was an extremely scary/exciting experience. There's no reason to nerf anything really' date=' and stories like that show it.

[/quote']

It probably was a great experience, because he was aware of it, hence social tension ("what do we do, what does he want, can we talk, you want anything in the barn, can we take him out? etc..."), which kinda leans toward proving my point :)

It probably was a great experience' date=' because he was aware of it, hence social tension ("what do we do, what does he want, can we talk, you want anything in the barn, can we take him out? etc..."), which kinda leans toward proving my point :)

[/quote']

How?

Even if someone doesn't have a scoped rifle they could probably act like they have one. If they fire a shot that lands anywhere even close to the barn all they have to do is start threatening the people inside and claiming they have their crosshairs trained on them from afar.

I've actually used tricks like this to keep people in line when doing trades with them. I claim my teammate is off in the treeline with a rifle aimed right at his head... If those weaposn were extremely hard to come across, this kind of thing would not be feasible.

The second weapon I found in the game was a MK550, or whatever scoped rifle that is. Sniper rifles in every game are just are plain not fun, and I say this who usually gets killed by zombies instead of players because I go prone everywhere and am unlucky. Making scoped weapons a lot more rare would also prevent a lot of random killing from a far away, unseen place just for sport. If anyone wants to bring up realism for how common snipers are in this game, consider that no one would be killing for sport because they'd want to be saving bloody bullets.

I just recently was sitting around in Rog (castle tower) when I saw someone way off in the distance. I picked him off with a CZ because I was testing it.

I felt REALLY overpowered. He wasn't even really dashing or nothing, just trying to sneak through the treeline at almost 900m. It took me 2 shots, but I nailed him dead.

I just realized the title says scorped rifle...

We need Scorpions with Sniper Rifles, or rifles that fire Scorpions.

I agree, take the scoped weapons out from the major population centers and add a (very) few more to the middle of the map. Should balance itself out nicely.

Agree with OP. The difference between scope and non scope is huge. It is a piece of cake to scope someone from 200 meters unnoticed. In a game where you have so much to lose (your hard found loot and play time) it's a tat lame to be sniped from several hundred meters (just as lame as dying from a ladder :P). Also as the night is pitch black the advantage of NVG is similar huge. If it is ment to be hardcore (as the majority wants) then those 2 can be ditched, lets keep it to the non-scoped rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Going to agree that CZ needs to be a little bit more rare. Its so easy for any newb to get a CZ and start sniping people.

scoped rifles should be rare

if alot of ppl are sniping each other all the time it is detrimental to the atmosphere the game tries to create

long range combat is "safe" compared to getting down and dirty in the street

"safe" is against the theme of this game/mod, therefore scoped rifles should be an immensly high status find

my 2 cents

Simple solution. Our survivors are not special forces snipers. They're just survivors. Mall cops, farmers, mechanics, etc. We should not be nearly as accurate with our rifles. Increase crosshair bobbing so that long distance shots are substantially more challenging.

It would be far more realistic and tense that way.

More scoped weapons! It's hard enough to find one..

Don't be a wuz if u get sniped...

Scoped weapons are fine. Problem is their spawn locations.

Having the CZ 550 and other scoped weapons like the m24 spawn up north would curb all the crying from the survivors.