angel_eyes42

Where are all the DAY/NIGHT cycle servers?!?

The night time needs major fixing, BI has already stated that, till then most just will not play basically with their monitor off. There is no skill no fun to be had running around in pitch black trying to hit a zed you cant see; its a waste of time. You cant loot you cant travel long distances, pretty much everything is better during the day till night is brought to mod level. jmho

The night time needs major fixing, BI has already stated that, till then most just will not play basically with their monitor off. There is no skill no fun to be had running around in pitch black trying to hit a zed you cant see; its a waste of time. You cant loot you cant travel long distances, pretty much everything is better during the day till night is brought to mod level. jmho

They have brightened the night to a level where you can see and it's not pitch black.

Although it does need fixing still and that will come with the new renderer I'm sure, but at least what you speak of seems to be gone. There's a discussion or two about the night being brighter. I just find that people easily make excuses to not play at night when, regardless of pitch black, monochrome or whatever, people make excuses. Meh to each his own.

HIHB server is Best server. Day/Night cycle is as good as you're gonna find currently, and playerbase seems to consist of more mature/hardcore players using strategy instead of running balls out hoping for good luck. 

OT Got a played daily 2 month old character killed there yesterday showing my bambi IRL mate around NWAF. Note to self; just because you've run into 10 friendly players in a row, doesn't mean the next one isn't going to KoS you. Never even got a chance, had spent 15 minutes watching the area and decided it was clear, first bullet he fired killed me instantly and my bambi mate just ran outside like a headless chicken instead of taking cover :P Probably a fkn hopper too just spawned in inside the base after we had checked over the area. Always remember not to take this game too seriously lol, shit happens.

[ed] Shout out to R.Neville. Thank you for running the only server I bother playing on.

That makes the server sound all the more enticing, making me even more sad I can't play on it.

Do you think that 250-300 (more towards 300... avg 270) ping is unplayable? 

It's actually quite bright in the standalone, as Neville said. In the mod it's a bit darker, though, but still playable.

P.S. to zeeabo: Do you have any recommendations for other good servers, as you seem to know what makes a good server?

Edited by angel_eyes42

[--]

P.S. to zeeabo: Do you have any recommendations for other good servers, as you seem to know what makes a good server?

300ms ping is "playable", yes, but just don't expect to win any gun fights lol (could be wrong here, going off experience of 300ms in other games- I've never played DayZ with that ping and not sure how much worse it'd be effected by desync). I think most servers kick for 300ms or above due to the extra load it puts on the server.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend much either, because I only play servers under 100ms I only have 5 Hardcore servers available to me and will always opt for HIHB as long as it's not 0/40 or 20 mins before a restart or something. Only server I've seen with restart warnings as well, another +1. Hope you can sort your ping, because it's almost like a whole 'nother game being run by a decent admin instead of someone trying to build a loot farm.

That makes the server sound all the more enticing, making me even more sad I can't play on it.

That depends on the person really, some claim pings that high are playable, some say not so much. Only you can determine if it's unplayable or not, really.  ;)

Ping kick is currently at 300.

300ms ping is "playable", yes, but just don't expect to win any gun fights lol (could be wrong here, going off experience of 300ms in other games- I've never played DayZ with that ping and not sure how much worse it'd be effected by desync). I think most servers kick for 300ms or above due to the extra load it puts on the server.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend much either, because I only play servers under 100ms I only have 5 Hardcore servers available to me and will always opt for HIHB as long as it's not 0/40 or 20 mins before a restart or something. Only server I've seen with restart warnings as well, another +1. Hope you can sort your ping, because it's almost like a whole 'nother game being run by a decent admin instead of someone trying to build a loot farm.

That depends on the person really, some claim pings that high are playable, some say not so much. Only you can determine if it's unplayable or not, really.  ;)

Ping kick is currently at 300.

Well I suppose I'll get on and try to open some doors. I assume that might be a good gauge of connection.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I'm now getting over 500 ping. I don't think it's going to work out.

Back to the drawing board.

I have 3 servers, Currently #1 will stay running for 12hrs without restart #2 every 4 hrs and #3 (Vilayer) every 2hrs.

From what I understand is that all host must run a automated 4 hour restart regardless of any custom restart schedule implemented by the owner. Is this not correct? It was actually ViLayer support that confirmed this configuration with me.

So the only way to run day night would be a 4 hr restart that goes from late afternoon to night or early morning to day, then reboots and starts over.

From what I understand is that all host must run a automated 4 hour restart regardless of any custom restart schedule implemented by the owner. Is this not correct? It was actually ViLayer support that confirmed this configuration with me.

This is correct. You cannot have a restart past 4hrs because it's an automatic thing with all GSP's. You can have less but not more.

So the only way to run day night would be a 4 hr restart that goes from late afternoon to night or early morning to day, then reboots and starts over.

Exactly.

Edited by R.Neville

What does that have to do with the day/night cycle? I thought a server can be restarted but still continue on the normal time cycle... but I might just be stupid.

Well yeah, but I am sure the more people that play on it, the more memory being used and the more clutter, etc. in the world, so the less the server has to do? Your servers don't seem to get *all that much* traffic so they might not necessarily be a good gauge. 

Though it would be nice if servers could go longer without restarts, if it does indeed affect the day/night cycle.

Edit to account for your edited post, R.Neville:

Oh......... so the standalone handles restarts differently from the mod? That's why?

Damn. I did waste my money.

*cries and goes back to mod*

That's really, really, very depressing.

I thought we already have accelerated time some servers say an X next to the time which means their edited.

On topic, i think 2 hours is way way to frequent for restart,. 4 hrs is tollerable but still annoying, it is game breaking and immersion ruined for me having to stop every 2 hours. Especially in the mod its a pain constantly landing vechicles etc standalone not so bad but it breaks up the possible contacts etc

I have to disagree, my characters priorities are always a lantern and gas canisters (these light up about 100mtr diameter in bright yellow light). Headtorch, and my FNX with pistol light. I love playing at night and the atmosphere and great lighting effects are immersive.

• Like 1

I have found a server that somehow has a *possibly fractured due to restarts* 24 hour day/night cycle. They restart at certain times during the day and (I suppose) restart the server back at that time (manually?). 

Sadly it's in another country (Germany) so there are probably going to be many non-english speaking people which means more KoS's for me when I'm trying to yell "peaceful!" and nobody can understand me.

Edit:

So I suppose a possible way to achieve an almost cohesive 24 hour day/night cycle is to have admins 24/7 and have the time set back to when the server restarted every time it restarts?

I have to disagree, my characters priorities are always a lantern and gas canisters (these light up about 100mtr diameter in bright yellow light). Headtorch, and my FNX with pistol light. I love playing at night and the atmosphere and great lighting effects are immersive.

Do you ever play hardcore?

I thought we already have accelerated time some servers say an X next to the time which means their edited.

On topic, i think 2 hours is way way to frequent for restart,. 4 hrs is tollerable but still annoying, it is game breaking and immersion ruined for me having to stop every 2 hours. Especially in the mod its a pain constantly landing vechicles etc standalone not so bad but it breaks up the possible contacts etc

We do have accelerated time, I believe, but I'm not really sure how it works / what servers are actually using it. 

I honestly don't have a problem with say, a 4 hour restart, because I don't mind taking a break, but what annoys me is the high loot that comes from frequent restarts. 

What my question is, being slightly new to the standalone, what is with the "time" being all over the place in the server list... it's not, say 12:30 or 1:30 and so on... it's like 12:35 and another will be 4:56 etc.. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm used to the mod where times are all according to time zone and advance more or less in real-time.

Edited by angel_eyes42

Try our server, not sure of your location but it is a low ping server.

23.19.47.18:2302

Do the towns have lights in the evening? It would be cool if there were powerstations that could be turned on in each town or up the road that powers multiple towns, it would give some objective to night time servers :-)

Try our server, not sure of your location but it is a low ping server.

23.19.47.18:2302

Do the towns have lights in the evening? It would be cool if there were powerstations that could be turned on in each town or up the road that powers multiple towns, it would give some objective to night time servers :-)

Is there some kind of nighttime cycle? 

They don't, aside from any that players place or use. I suppose that would be cool to draw more people in who wouldn't usually play at night but I wouldn't like that at all because it'd ruin the whole apocalypse feel for me. Night=dark. Very dark. Like, blackness.

Is there some kind of nighttime cycle? 

They don't, aside from any that players place or use. I suppose that would be cool to draw more people in who wouldn't usually play at night but I wouldn't like that at all because it'd ruin the whole apocalypse feel for me. Night=dark. Very dark. Like, blackness.

Yes but think about it, if you were trying to survive in an apocalypse, you would probably try to setup some type of power. Maybe some houses could have generators, to power the lighting in just that house but requires gas or runs through gas. Power plants could power towns but require some type of schematic to get working, etc. That way when approaching a house with lights, you know someone is around... ;-)

Yes but think about it, if you were trying to survive in an apocalypse, you would probably try to setup some type of power. Maybe some houses could have generators, to power the lighting in just that house but requires gas or runs through gas. Power plants could power towns but require some type of schematic to get working, etc. That way when approaching a house with lights, you know someone is around... ;-)

Your ports 27016 not 2302 :P Nice server though.

Your ports 27016 not 2302 :P Nice server though.

Yeah there is actually something screwed up between Gametracker and our server host... not sure how I am going to resolve it with out loosing our gametracker stats but our host page says 2302 and game tracker says 27016... But in DayZ i have used 2302 to find our server.

Oh and thank you.

Edited by shallowtech

I suppose so, it makes sense. I just don't know about adding explicit "objectives" to a game like DayZ. But something along the lines of it, possibly using power to get electricity and stuff to player settlements or some kind of lighting for camps or something might be cool. Interesting idea at least.

Edit: sorry, did you say anything about the day/night cycle of your server? I apologize if I'm just blind.

Oh also, is it Hardcore?

---

I have gotten to the point where I have a nice list of *possibly good* hardcore servers, but the only problem is, my least favorite ones are the populated ones. So I find myself joining different servers for different activities... looting up? I join a less-populated one. Want some player interaction? I join a more populated (but not ideal) one. It's really making me feel guilty and not have as much fun as if I played regularly on one perfect server.

It seems that there are plenty of us that think the same way about game difficulty, day/night cycle, etc., so maybe we all just need to populate a server together! I have a few good ones, if anyone is interested.

Edited by angel_eyes42

Always played vanilla servers in the mod, which are pretty rare as of now.

Extra loot, friendly, no pvp, and everything else to attract or deattract people are mostly fake.

Extra loot mostly means that the server restarts every 1-4 hours.

Friendly and no pvp is to attrack pve players and trick them just to be shot on sight anyway.

There are no ways to enforce a certain playstyle at the moment!

I have been searching for a hardcore (3rd person off) server that restarts every 24hours or at least every 12hours for the last weeks. I've come across one single server (regular though) that had 12 hour restarts. Please tell me if you find one :)

Hey man. I just found a hardcore server that supposedly restarts every 24 hours. There has been discussion that this is not possible; I have no idea whether it is or not, but here it is. 

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/66.55.158.161:2302/

I might try it out sometime so see if it does indeed restart every 24h. Not sure if it's day/night though.

(sorry for double post)

Is like the day night cycle in this game... but i wont play @ night until the "cheat" the night away is fixed...

Is like the day night cycle in this game... but i wont play @ night until the "cheat" the night away is fixed...

What? Server hopping? That's... not really going to go away. People will always be able to server hop.

Or are you talking about server owners changing the cycle themselves?

Edited by angel_eyes42

No im not talking about server hopping... im talking about the graphic settings to cheat the night away with increasing the bridgness and gamma... in other games like arma III you cant do this. Maybe the new engine will do...

No im not talking about server hopping... im talking about the graphic settings to cheat the night away with increasing the bridgness and gamma... in other games like arma III you cant do this. Maybe the new engine will do...

Don't even bother with him.  He's an exploiter without admitting it because somehow the cheat doesn't bother him  :rolleyes:

Different service providers allow for different settings. I just signed up with Gameservers and did a bunch of testing.

Gameservers is currently enforcing a mandatory 2-hour restart, not 4 hours as mentioned. Used to be 4 but changed in the past month or two.

Time acceleration is possible and does work. I have it set at 6x which gives a nice 12-hour cycle during the forced 2-hour restart. In theory you could set this to 12x and have a 24-hour cycle instead or somewhere in between even.

There is an option that allows you to use "Current GMT" as the time that server starts at after a restart. However it doesn't seem to work. The server seems to pick a fixed time to start from instead, unless set to a specific time.

Put all that together and you get a lot of great options for day night cycles or even mimicking current time but things just aren't working quite yet.

• Like 1