Sign in to follow this  
voxzelz

when are pistol silencers going to work

So when is the silencer attatchment for the pistol actually going to function properly with the sound effect? Not sure if it affects the zombies from a distance but i'd like the sound to change aswell I mean how hard can it be to fix? As a ex programmer and game developer i dont understand why this simple issue cannot be fixed or are the devs not aware of this issue?

I mean doesnt it go something like this? (im just assuming theres a callback for player updates and stuff)

public OnPlayerUpdate(playerid)

{
    if(GetPlayerWeapon(playerid, FNX)

{

if(GetWeaponAttatchment(weaponid, silencer == 1)

{

WeaponSound == silencer;

}

else if(GetWeaponAttatchment(weaponid, silencer == 0)

{

WeaponSound == loud;

}

}

return 1;

}

Just some really dumb coding but you get the point...

• Like 3

Pretty sure the devs know how to code, bro. There's other reasons why the silencer doesn't work yet, apparently. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure the devs know how to code, bro. There's other reasons why the silencer doesn't work yet, apparently. 

Yeah im sure they do know how to but this is just such a simple fix...

edit: or the engine maybe doesnt support this sort of feature idk...

Edited by Voxzel

No one really understands why certain things aren't working or prioritised because the dev team doesn't seem to want to communicate with the players on the forum.

Edited by TheMachine
  • Like 6

because the dev team doesn't seem to want to communicate with the players on the forum.

Harsh..

So when is the silencer attatchment for the pistol actually going to function properly with the sound effect? Not sure if it affects the zombies from a distance but i'd like the sound to change aswell I mean how hard can it be to fix? As a ex programmer and game developer i dont understand why this simple issue cannot be fixed or are the devs not aware of this issue?

Well.. you need to consider the other stuff that "fixing" (implementing) this feature affects.

Just changing the sound of the shot is simple enough I think, but why change the sound if it's not actually going to be silenced from programming point of view? The problem is the implementation of the actual mechanics of silenced fire. Such as, one client hears the shot, other (further away) doesn't. Zombie and animal reactions to the sound. How servers gather and communicate these informations between clients.

I can't speak about priorities of the DayZ team, but there obviously are higher priority issues/features than silenced fire at the moment.

• Like 8

Harsh..

Well.. you need to consider the other stuff that "fixing" (implementing) this feature affects.

Just changing the sound of the shot is simple enough I think, but why change the sound if it's not actually going to be silenced from programming point of view? The problem is the implementation of the actual mechanics of silenced fire. Such as, one client hears the shot, other (further away) doesn't. Zombie and animal reactions to the sound. How servers gather and communicate these informations between clients.

I can't speak about priorities of the DayZ team, but there obviously are higher priority issues/features than silenced fire at the moment.

Thank you for your reply and I hope it will be fixed soon.

Harsh..

in the mean time just lower ur volume.....

• Like 1

in the mean time just lower ur volume.....

That's a good placeholder!

• Like 2

Harsh..

Wouldnt it make more sense to have the silencer completly take the sound away in the mean time then? Its not like the pistols would be that over powered if they just didnt make sound.

Well I hope they choose the realist ones for sure ...

Agree with you 100%

in change log "player can see through walls " is listed as a known issue, while "suppressors not working properly" is not listed. i assumed that this means they havent decided to start working on that yet.

i;ll guess its not as simpel as just lowering teh volume, maybe they got to work out how zombies wil react to it etc. gun sounds in general arent working yet, so i guess they want to fix that before working on supressors

Hope they'll increase accuracy like they do in real life So I can start taking realistic 200m headshots from the standing position.

Hopefully they'll get the dispersion correct too!!!

Are we going for realism in the suppressors or the fake movie type that are whisper quiet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2GchQ3orB0

Going with the fact that the tests in the video were clearly done in a cavernous living room with little/no furniture, with insanely reverberative surfaces (just his voice is echoing massively), gonna' go ahead and say that the test is inconclusive.

The issue for me, is how they'll end up honoring supersonic/subsonic ammunition.

In other words, a subsonic pistol round fired through a suppressor should be quieter than a supersonic rifle round through a suppressor.

They've said they're not interested in adding subsonic variants of normally supersonic ammunition (i.e. 5.56x45).

So, they're left with two options... one with far more involvement than the other...

1. Actually have suppressors lower the sound level very slightly, (but it should still be dern loud as the round is still breaking the sound barrier), have a lessened muzzle flash, and have it modulate the sound somehow as to make discerning the origin of the shot a bit more difficult for players downrange.

2. Just use the "Hollywood" approach and allow suppressors to make all rounds (subsonic or supersonic) quiet.

I don't care either way.

Edited by Katana67

Wouldnt it make more sense to have the silencer completly take the sound away in the mean time then? Its not like the pistols would be that over powered if they just didnt make sound.

Now I'm no programmer so I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that this may not be as simple as it sounds. 

in change log "player can see through walls " is listed as a known issue, while "suppressors not working properly" is not listed. i assumed that this means they havent decided to start working on that yet.

Well that might be one reason. But the way I see it (and I could be totally wrong), one is an actual glitch whereas the latter is a feature that is not implemented yet.

Well that might be one reason. But the way I see it (and I could be totally wrong), one is an actual glitch whereas the latter is a feature that is not implemented yet.

yeah thats what i meant really. its something  they havent even started to add to the game, but yeah maybe it isnt listed there because its not a glitch, i get what youre saying.

Seems you've still missed the point. The sound itself is but an effect for players.

The code that controls who hears it and how it affects zombies, animals etc and all it affects is the complex bit.

Sure, in terms of playing sounds, that could be easy enough. One sound effect for regular, one for silenced.

The issue being a player that would have heard your regular shot will be able to hear your silenced shot all the same, since the code controlling who can hear it is the same.

Same goes for zombies. In effect, you could achieve the same gameplay outcome just turning down your volume when you shoot, as everyone will still hear it and come looking for a kill or snack.

Just because the result from a player effect seems simple, doesn't mean it is from a big picture perspective.

The only silencer that is currently effective is the fire axe. That or avoiding combat and being stealthy.

i was told by a completely un creditable or trustworthy highly suspect source that  the suppressors worked and silenced weapons now but the issue was once the suppressor was removed the weapon was still silenced and didnt revert back to unsilenced sounds  sorta creating a game breaking mechanic where 1 suppressor silenced 15 m4s so the function was removed for a later date ...probably no truth to it at all but sounded good at the time 

the Sound engine Needs a rework.

the eating Sound f i Sound like its recorded with a 90ies mobile phone!

Now I'm no programmer so I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that this may not be as simple as it sounds. 

I'm guessing that's the case.

Plus sounds are just sounds, those will be fixed in the Beta. The Alpha is for adding content and when all the content has finished being added, they'll move to Beta where they fix the content they added, to put it into two binary blocks really. Obviously they'll fix or 'balance' small things in the Alpha but nothing as big as sound, loot tables (on a large scale) etcetc

P.s Accolyte; I love your title xD

Edited by ManBearus

P.s Accolyte; I love your title xD

I can't take credit for it. I believe it was given to me by Matt  :lol:

I can't take credit for it. I believe it was given to me by Matt  :lol:

Might be time to change it for you every now and then. :ph34r: