hypersabotage

Character selection option

Hi! I'd like to start off by thanking you for reading my post.

Im a relativly old player to dayz and got it in the modding stages and I really loved the idea, the gameplay and the character to character interaction. But I'd always been hesetant to actually play, even after the standalone came out because I had a little bit of parnoia over loosing all of my hard earned gear (go figure). My immedite response to that was, but thats the point of the game! the impermanence and the risk involved in playing, and I wanted that to stay, but I also wanted to get over my fear of loosing that slick mosin with that pristine scope.

So I thought, what if every account had a bank of chracters to choose from, say five blank characters to each account. Of which the personal gear and items that you found or made stayed with each respective character. That way you could get a character fully geared up and scary looking in that military gear and start a new character without fear of loss because you could always divert back to cap'n kickass whenever you so choose. The same rules would apply to each character, get shot by a sniper, die of hunger, get mauled by zombies, or decide that maybe you can jump off that building, you still loose you stuff. The only difference being that you could have a lineup of other characters at your disposal instead of having to revert to blue jeans and a flashlight staring awkwrdly at the sand. 

Let me know what you think! Be sure to leave any comments additions or drole (or is that spelled "troll"?) remarks below, thanks for reading!

Edited by hypersabotage

I don't have an issue with that... I could see having a guy that I was using with a group of RL friends and put him away when I was alone. Your friends log back in and there you are in blue jeans again and they are ready to do something else or maybe you all log out in the same area and two days later your all going to get back together so your all right there.. On the other hand even if you got your geared guy out and BANG. Your at the same spot on the beach anyway soooo I think just take your chances and like you said it's the point of the game. I understand how scary it can be starting over but it happens so much it kinda takes the fear out of it for me at least.

I don't have an issue with that... I could see having a guy that I was using with a group of RL friends and put him away when I was alone. 

On the other hand even if you got your geared guy out and BANG. Your at the same spot on the beach anyway soooo I think just take your chances and like you said it's the point of the game.

I hadn't even thought of that, a char. for friends and one for solo runs. Good idea!

as for the character swaps, each charcter would act independently of each other, so if you leave macho man in cherno and a new char. on the beach, if you log into macho madness you'll spawn in cherno, not on the beach. I hope that makes things clearer.

thanks for the post! 

I 100% agree.  I do different "builds" depending on the mood I'm in.  I go for a tactical military style one day, then the russian live-off-the-land look the next time, THEN the crazy axe murderer with ruined clothes and a mask the next..  Having a bank of characters to choose from would be awesome because I could do this without compromise.

• Like 1

yeah more character build 'slots' would be nice.  when I wanna try something with a new character, I wouldn't have to sacrifice a guy I spent a week equipping.

Wait for tents/cars, stash your gear in a tent, go nuts.

I'm against the idea that basically offers you safe deposit for your items.

• Like 1

I'm against the idea that basically offers you safe deposit for your items.

True. I do see  problem with people abusing the multiple playable characters to preserve certain items, however if you think bout it the process would be quite arduous, not withstanding the fact that if the char. with the items died, they would innevitably loose the items anyway. 

so to use the char. selection as an item bank you would have to be able to swap items from one chum to another. So in order to so that you would have to:

1. get the item in question

2. trade it with another player (or drop it, but b/c server resets may destroy the item or somebody could steal it while you're swapping ect. I dont thinks its as viable)

3. log into the second char.

4. get the second char. in the same location (if he/she isnt already)

5. trade back with the other player/ pickup dropped items

So it is possible, if a bit annoying, but essentially I think its the same problem as DayZ had with server hopping at loot spawn sites to get loot fast. I believe they simply implemented a five minute delay you had to have before logging into a different server. You could do the same thing with switching characters making the process even more annoying for those who would abuse the char. system, but the gmeplay for the average user wouldn't change.

Glad you picked up on that.

Thanks for posting!

Well the idea is not bad, but think about this.

What if you have 5 slots with pristine gear, then you are back to the mod issue, you don't want to lose any of it.

Secondly it will encourage douche bags, They will have one main character to keep their good stuff, and another to yolo it and kill people for no good reason, because now they have a backup.

I don't think this is a good idea. People will just go rambo on others since they will have nothing to lose. Die? Load up another char and you're good to go.

As too the fear of losing your precious can of beans and gun you might have found, that's the point (like you said). Although, with the current amount of loot, you shouldn't be fearing to lose your character/gear that much. You can be geared again within 30 minutes.

True fear should come when the devs drastically reduce the amount of loot spawned on each server.

Edited by TinUKCS

it will encourage douche bags, They will have one main character to keep their good stuff, and another to yolo it and kill people for no good reason, because now they have a backup.

Of course that is true, yet I would argue that people do that anyway, the only difference being that if you killed them they would simply log into another char. somewhere else in the map and (unless you're an A class douche) not go hunting for that person.

The concept of having multiple char. slots doesnt change the gameplay (hopefully). That person you killed who was yolo'ing it still lost their stuff, and if he logged into a new char. his original would still be a fresh char. the option of character slots doesn't give each player unlimited resources, it simply gives each player the flexibility and options as to how they want to play. So in my case I might want to strat a new char. b/c I'm afraid of loosing gear, you might also want to start a new one for friends or LAN parties, or you might start a new char. becuse you want to play with a different playstyle or outfit. It's all up to you. 

The only problem is having to iron out the game-breaking issues with it, and get rid of ways that people might exploit the char. system.

As for me, if by some heavenly miracle I do manage to get all char.'s fully geared up I'll have to confront my paranoia on my own terms ;)

Thanks for posting!

1)Of course that is true, yet I would argue that people do that anyway, the only difference being that if you killed them they would simply log into another char. somewhere else in the map and (unless you're an A class douche) not go hunting for that person.

The concept of having multiple char. slots doesnt change the gameplay (hopefully). That person you killed who was yolo'ing it still lost their stuff, and if he logged into a new char. his original would still be a fresh char. the option of character slots doesn't give each player unlimited resources, it simply gives each player the flexibility and options as to how they want to play. So in my case I might want to strat a new char. b/c 2)I'm afraid of loosing gear, you might also want to start a new one for friends or LAN parties, or you might start a new char. becuse you want to play with a different playstyle or outfit. It's all up to you. 

The only problem is having to iron out the game-breaking issues with it, and get rid of ways that people might exploit the char. system.

As for me, if by some heavenly miracle I do manage to get all char.'s fully geared up I'll have to confront my paranoia on my own terms ;)

Thanks for posting!

1) They will be. There will be never ending wars.....well that might be a bit of an extreme hyperbole, but people will log in with a different char and they will seek revenge. Or people will quickly log out because they spotted a group of high end geared players, only to log in with their own high end geared player

2) I don't want to come across as a douche (and i mean that), but you need to get used to that feeling. This is a survival game after all. Adding multiple char. slots will water that survival aspect down.

You have one char and that's all you get. You spawn, you scavenge and after a while you have your basics. You can use high risk/high reward tactics or low risk/low rewards tactics to get better gear. If you cross paths with better geared bandits, well tough luck. You play with what you got. If that means you've got to make a run for it in order to survive, do it. That's what I like about this game.

And let's be honest: the game isn't as hard as it's going to be in the end.

PS: When persistent containers + dynamic lootspawning get implemented, there won't be any need for different characters anyway. You can make stashes with gear for all possible situations.

No. Too much abuse can happen while permanent storage is coming (Permanent storage should disappear when the player die imo).

I get where you are coming from with the whole locked to one character and have 4 others that can't trade between but what most people on here have said is the honest truth, its not an idea to be used because of the fact that players will lose the fear and the true point to the survival game aspect. Granted small gear later can be stored in tents but storing items on your character just to move to another character in the same server really ruins the game because like people said everyone will have their OP character and then just yolo it with the others turning bandits into "Idon't care if I die" bandits which sure some already are but at least now some true bandits who kill to gain gear not just be dicks are afraid to stick their necks out unless given the chance to strike, Incorporate this feature and you lose that factor in the game, fear will be lost and KOS will be all time high because no one will care. (Not trying to be a dick just voicing my opinion)  

Gear up five of your characters

Plant them around sniping spots at some PvP area

?????

Profit

Nope.