Marou_

Compressed day/night cycle?

Are there any servers that have a compressed cycle?

I've been thinking of starting up a server of my own, and tweaking a few things.. one of those things being compressed time, maybe 3-5hr full cycle.

Or is it just not possible in alpha or with this map?

First off I have to say how much I love this mod, the developer has done a great job of allowing people to create really personal stories. If often rather painful ones!

I have to agree with the OP. Myself and pretty much all my friends in Europe can only play the game in the evening, which means we only ever get to play at night. I appreciate that we can and do play on US servers, but that defeats the object, we WANT to play at night, just not all the time.

I want to be able to feel the growing fear as dusk is approaching and have to decide whether to find a safe haven for the night or risk staying out that bit longer. I want to feel the relief as I see the sun slowly rise and realise just how close I came to alerting the small horde of zombies in the field close by. Sadly that doesn't happen at the moment, I have to choose between a day server or a night server.

I would recommend a 4 hour day/night cycle (2 hours day & 2 hours night) that way you would still have lengthy time in day and night, but almost everyone would be able to experience the highs and lows of the day/night cycle rather than the few who are able to play 8+ hours at a stretch. It would also fit in better with the games food/water needs.

I appreciate there are still people who would rather a 24 hour day/night cycle. So there could be two server types one for a 4 hour cycle and one for 24.

I understand that changing the day/night cycle is probably a fair amount of work, but it is a major area in the game I think a lot of people would like to see changed as it would really enhance people experience. Here’s hoping.....

Taking away the 12hr cycle will remove a part of the realistic feel it has, I don't agree with removing the 12hr cycle but just having perma day servers (which I think they have now?) for those that can only play at night but want daytime settings. This would satisfy both parties without compromising the value of the game.

To be honest I don't think it does remove the realism, just changes it. A change that I believe would make the game much more enjoyable and allow greater scope for the fantastic DayZ player stories that are out there.

Having a perma day server sadly doesn't satisfy both parties. I want to experience day and night, but at the moment that is just not possible for many people like me without switching servers which is far more of an immersion breaker than changing the day/night cycle in game.

The best compromise would be a choice of 24 hour or 4 hour day/night cycle servers. Then that should really appeal to the majority.

I would compress into 2x speed, so you play night and day cycles every evening, or 1.5x speed, for more randomness and you might catch a sunset/sunrise aswell.

Taking away the 12hr cycle will remove a part of the realistic feel it has' date=' I don't agree with removing the 12hr cycle but just having perma day servers (which I think they have now?) for those that can only play at night but want daytime settings. This would satisfy both parties without compromising the value of the game.

[/quote']

Unless permalight servers are already corrupting data on the main server, thus compromising the value of the game.

I usually never get the time to play before 21:00 CET and then most of the EU servers have nighttime. After the painful experience of starting on the beach a moonless night I found that aspect of the game unplayable. So now I brave the US servers and judging from the ping I see on a lot of the players there I am not the only EU player on US servers.

This ruins the game for the EU players since we must suffer an increased lag, and the US players must compete for the scarce number of spots available on the US servers with "foreigners"

I like the idea of night, but it cant be completely black, and if it is completely black it cant last 12 hrs.

The best system imo is a compressed day/night cycle that is synced on EVERY server. So one could not jump around to different servers to avoid night time or day time.

The best system imo is a compressed day/night cycle that is synced on EVERY server. So one could not jump around to different servers to avoid night time or day time.

+1

Do any of you people that think the current day/night cycle is fine play from new zealand? If we want to play this game after work or uni and see more then pitch black, we are forced to play on 300ping servers.

This is a game, and the current length of nighttime and server time syncing makes it unfun.

I love playing in the dark, its terryfying. But not ALL the time unless I want to only hit stationary targets.

Im inclined to agree that a 4 hour or so cycle would really improve this game, I honestly think its one of the best and most fun games out at the moment and really would like to be able to play properly with my mates.

Maybe change how often the pitch black nights happen.

Other then that, i say leave the day/night cycle as it is.

+1

+2

There are already European servers with US time so you can play in pony land all night.

Stop whining already.

Maybe some people would like to play on local servers with low ping? :P

Man, I've spent the majority of my 200 hours or so playing this mod doing so at night, with basically regular settings (brightness 1.2, gamma 1.4- use these settings during the day, too) and utilizing chemlights, flares, flashlights for night-time visual aid. I love it, and love the fact that servers run on 24 hour 1 to 1 ratio clocks. I really hope this doesn't change.

There are already European servers with US time so you can play in pony land all night.

Stop whining already.

Putting forward suggestions is not whining, we are providing constructive feedback as have most people in this thread both for and against, as opposed to your post which is provocative and unhelpful.

Also you have missed the point that a lot of people have made i.e. they want to play in the day AND the night, not be forced to switch servers to experience this.

The biggest problem is that, in real life, most nights would be spent sleeping. There are some nights that would be spent scouting and traveling and looting using the darkness to hide from bandits, but not every night. Not most nights. No one wants to play a sleeping simulator.

Another suggestion would be to shift the local time by say 4 hours. It would mean it stays light farther into the local evening and is dark further into the local morning, but would accommodate most players.