Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

Your biggest DayZ shame

So this is purely cathartic for me, as I have a confession to make. One that is utterly shameful and should have me run out of the online gaming community. First let me explain what this thread is for - absolution. Have you ever done something so stupid or been so poor with your aim that you genuinely feel ashamed at your actions? Well here is a place you can share that pain and get the monkey off your back.

I'll go first. I was fully decked out, had made it up to the NWAF. I don't normally bother as I'm happy with medium quality loot but I was packed to the gunnels with all sorts of military loot although my weapon was just an SKS albeit with a beefy scope.As I made my way South into Zeleno I spotted a lad doing the loot run around town. I was following his path, enjoying the luxury of my scoped distance when he suddenly stopped and looked right at me. He was a good 500m away and I was pretty well hidden so I was sure he wasn't seeing me then I got shot. It was a light hit, but a hit none the less. I wasn't bleeding (yet) and looking through the scope the guy I had my eye on had what looked like a mosin (hard to tell) and it was raised in my direction. He didn't look like he was firing though, and yet the hits kept coming sapping my energy and I started to bleed. I was confused, this guy didn't look like he was firing and if he was then he'd be taking far more out of me the damage I was taking, the calibre of the shots didn't sound right either. Then I was unconious and as I was lying on the ground wondering just what happened, I hear clearly a mosin shot in the distance and someone close to me get taken out. Obviously what had happened was while I was distracted by the other guy, a Sporter toting fellow player had got enough weak shots into me to take me out. THe other guy? Hell he was probably wondering why someone clearly geared up was allowing themselves to get shot by the equivalent of a spud gun.

TL;DR? My sin was that I got killed by a Sporter .22 .. :( .. I feel dirty and ashamed.

• Like 1

:( .. I feel dirty and ashamed.

LOL, good one mate!

Here is my attempt for absolution:

New patch, fresh spawn in 3 valleys and make my from Cherno to Balota, Zeleno, NWAF. Im geared, fully, but seeking that new AK. I hit the tent city, and clear it of threats first before I proceed to loot it. Im almost finished, and Ive periodically stopped to scan the area for new threats. I start to loot the last of 3 tents before Im on my way North to Bashnya and the safety of the wilderness. I am looting a PSO scope, and trying to fit my 75 rd. drum so they both are on my person because I can see through the tent window that there is an AK in the next tent, its all I need.. but the PSO has to come with it. I am firing on all cylinders right now pumped with adrenaline.. ready for anything. The footsteps give my enemy away. I hear him approaching and take position and aim. I have him dead to rights, there is just no way he is getting the drop on me.. and as his head comes directly into my sights I accidentally hit escape on my mouse (its rebound to that because I use a Nostromo and in the beginning I was having to bring up my controls and settings constantly.. it was like a legacy setting that I just never changed. Now its changed though, lesson learned!). So as Im clicking fire, and my brain is telling me I am fucked because I am staring the the settings screen and my player is locked in place with his M4 pointed right at the doorway, motinoless like a fool. The player ran through the door, right up next to me, and proceeded to put about 5,000 rounds into my legs killing me rather quickly and most embarrassingly. It is one of the only times I can remember "shame-quitting" and turning the game off right then and there. I mean, I had him.. easily. And I somehow with my fat thumbs hit my side button that is not even that easy to hit with how I hold it. I mean I have to move my thumb over to be able to do it.. but I still did. And that guy had literally every piece of mil loot he could want between me and the AK he already had. Only problem was with the way he killed me, he most likely got little to nothing of use that was not ruined besides my M4. 

:blush:

• Like 2

My biggest DayZ shame?

That would be having to kill others for not being cooperative. Every encounter I have, I try to allow everyone to walk away unharmed. I make sure the encounter is under MY control especially when I'm the one who sees others first.

A prime example: Me & 2 others in my squad were patrolling the Novo town hall upon the rooftop. 2 survivors, mid-geared, start to approach from the opposite end of the courtyard towards town hall. Once the 2 survivors are within range (they were just below us inspecting the police car that's located just under the right over-hang of the town hall) we attempt to engage in conversation without revealing our position. The moment we start to say hello, they start looking around, being unresponsive. One guy keeps his mosin on his back, while the other guy pulls out his SKS. Now keep in mind that all 3 guys in my squad are equipped with Mosins & long range scopes, & we've had our sites trained on them this entire time. So, now that one of the contacts has his SKS drawn, the 3 of us keep repeating "Put your gun away! Put your gun away!". Still, unaware of our position, they let out no response & continue to look around as we keep demanding one of them to put away the weapon. He starts to turn in our direction, & starts to look up the town hall. At that point, Mister Gold of our squad says "Take him out" & all 3 of us put at least one Mosin round into the contact with the SKS. I pull back my bolt to load a second round, & fire at the second contact, hitting him in the neck as the rest of my squad fires upon him as well. Miraculously, he was only knocked unconscious. 2 of us descend from the roof to analyze the bodies. Contact with the SKS has no pulse & is warm to the touch. Upon discovering that the second contact was still alive, we bandage & disarm him. Once he regains consciousness, he tells us that the 2 had met up only moments before encountering us, & that he agrees that his new friend shouldn't have drawn a weapon. We apologize to him that things had to go down the way that they did, but we had no choice. We sympathize for his fallen commrade, & we offer some food & water as condolences, & send him on his way.

• Like 2

my biggest shame

trying to kill somme semi-geared payers at the neaf , i was looking through my  LRS and then somone with a fat thumb fell of the atc tower , i was laughting my ass off and then another player ran to the ladder tosee what happened and pum , to the floor with his friend xD it was so funny that i misspressed the direct communication and a bambi running by my spot got me witth a chambered fenix :C ( I know cuz he was yelling DAAAAAAAAAAAAAM MOM IM MLG CHAMBERED FENIX KILLER ! ) xD

Edited by LanceroxD
  • Like 1

Whoa my biggest shame in SA is something almost the same except I was watching someone in the industrial/bus park North West of Lopatino!

I was tucked away in the trees with an ACOG watching the some going through the garages. Didn't mean him any harm so I sat still for a a minute or two and watched to see which way they might be going as you do....

Then to my astonishment I hear a yelp of pain very closeby to my left, I spin around, take a few steps and there's what looks to me like someone logging in - who is either wounded or even has a broken leg and is making those moaning sounds we all hear from time to time. I give him a few moments and approach, as I get closer I'm thinking just say hello etc - I was behind him so felt safe enough..

But as I neared he drops to prone and starts turning and moving and it unnerved me so much I put I round in the poor fellas head! Didn't plan on doing that at all....

That poor guy must have thought "I'm in the woods, away from trouble spots, can't possibly be in danger logging back in.." 

And there's me, and a 5.56 with his name on it. 

I apologise humbly to that player - if ever he reads this. 

I can tell mine with piccies..

arma2oa_2012_08_19_22_48_29_830.png

Hit a bit of rubbish at about 90 killing us all..

arma2oa_2012_08_19_23_55_56_438.png

^^^ That's me back at my own corpse, I listened to some tears for about half an hour after!!

My biggest shame.....

I missed some of you friendlies that I was firing at ....

Really wish I could have killed you all....

Biggest shame? Just a couple of days ago, my buddys and I are chilling in berezino ontop of a factory, we kill 5 people, so I walk over to the ladder to go loot, hit f, my guy puts away his gun and keeps walking forward right off the edge of the building.......

Then one of my buddys lines up on another guy to shoot not 3 seconds after I yolo off the building, He proceeds to fire a few into the guy while strafing to keep the angles clean, and he walks right off the building......... This all happens while were showing the newbie with us how to loot, where to loot, and how to become a sadistic psycho murderer....... only time we've ever rage quit.....

My biggest DayZ shame?

That would be having to kill others for not being cooperative. Every encounter I have, I try to allow everyone to walk away unharmed. I make sure the encounter is under MY control especially when I'm the one who sees others first.

I don't think you've got the hang of this thread.. ;) ..it's for mistakes or obvious noobery that you undertake.

I can tell mine with piccies..

arma2oa_2012_08_19_22_48_29_830.png

Hit a bit of rubbish at about 90 killing us all..

arma2oa_2012_08_19_23_55_56_438.png

^^^ That's me back at my own corpse, I listened to some tears for about half an hour after!!

Ahh, vehicles, like a someone from a half remembered dream...

LOL, good one mate!

Here is my attempt for absolution:

New patch, fresh spawn in 3 valleys and make my from Cherno to Balota, Zeleno, NWAF. Im geared, fully, but seeking that new AK. I hit the tent city, and clear it of threats first before I proceed to loot it. Im almost finished, and Ive periodically stopped to scan the area for new threats. I start to loot the last of 3 tents before Im on my way North to Bashnya and the safety of the wilderness. I am looting a PSO scope, and trying to fit my 75 rd. drum so they both are on my person because I can see through the tent window that there is an AK in the next tent, its all I need.. but the PSO has to come with it. I am firing on all cylinders right now pumped with adrenaline.. ready for anything. The footsteps give my enemy away. I hear him approaching and take position and aim. I have him dead to rights, there is just no way he is getting the drop on me.. and as his head comes directly into my sights I accidentally hit escape on my mouse (its rebound to that because I use a Nostromo and in the beginning I was having to bring up my controls and settings constantly.. it was like a legacy setting that I just never changed. Now its changed though, lesson learned!). So as Im clicking fire, and my brain is telling me I am fucked because I am staring the the settings screen and my player is locked in place with his M4 pointed right at the doorway, motinoless like a fool. The player ran through the door, right up next to me, and proceeded to put about 5,000 rounds into my legs killing me rather quickly and most embarrassingly. It is one of the only times I can remember "shame-quitting" and turning the game off right then and there. I mean, I had him.. easily. And I somehow with my fat thumbs hit my side button that is not even that easy to hit with how I hold it. I mean I have to move my thumb over to be able to do it.. but I still did. And that guy had literally every piece of mil loot he could want between me and the AK he already had. Only problem was with the way he killed me, he most likely got little to nothing of use that was not ruined besides my M4. 

:blush:

Excellent stuff Irish. My particular favourite along the same lines is when  using [alt] to free look I try to get into my inventory, and as we all know [alt]+[tab] isn't going to help you at any point in the game. Granted I've not lost a life through this but there is that moment of panic as you desperately try to bring the DayZ process back into focus.

The only time I have had an M4 was my most heartbreaking death. I was flush with gear...camo, tools, ammo, meds, food...I was totally self-sufficient. It felt like there was no way I would lose in a shootout but I was being super careful. I had been alive for 20 hours of game time and had long since broken the cardinal rule- I was attached to my gear.

I would only sprint out in the country, if I got within a few hundred yards of civilization I would crouch/walk. I made my way to NWAF and climbed up one of the green "crows nests" to look for threats. Nobody around, looked safe for the time being.

I moved the mouse around looking for the "climb down ladder" cursor and the second it showed up (in a moment of impatience) I hit 'F' and what I thought was 'S' to start climbing down. Well the 'F' didn't take and I didn't hit S, I fat-fingered a W and walked into thin air and my death. I probably stared at the black screen for a full two minutes before thinking "F@(K IT" and re-spawning.