Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

Well i think its a good idea at all, some things not as much as other.

But you should be able to play as a lonewolf at all, becuz there are many people who just dont want to group up.

So there should be some new parts which are just able to handle as a group. Like areas where you cant survive alone becuz of XYZ, and if u try to go there by yourself u gonna die becuz you cant handle it.

I have to admit I haven't read all the pages but here's my two cents.

Seems like the majority want it to be a giant death match zombie game, that is what it has evolved into at least.

I have no problems avoiding players at all, unless I go looking for trouble of cause. Mechanics work perfectly fine to me.

Developers have to weigh game difficulty against player base. If the game turns into nightmare zombie mode with no chance of finding anything but a double barrel shotgun and sardines, I'm loosing interest.

@Orbital, It's not some generic shooter, I don't think it should be about what the "majority" wants (or as Georges Costanza would call them: "bonehead mass audience"). The game was never supposed to be a big deathmatch feat zombies.

I say make the zeds 50% slower but 500% stronger, because anyway in those situations, you've seen it in every movies, when you're bitten/scracthes, you're finished.

I like all of the proposed ideas.

Alas I don't think this will alter the shoot on sight mentality at all but rather increase it. Due to the proposed high rarity of higher grade loot.

It is just a byproduct of the anonymity of the internet and the mods none penalization of shoot on sight murderers. Added to the fact its easier to camp and snipe a player or two than to go and raid a military zone.

As long as anyone can kill another player with zero repercussions but with high rewards then murdering will remain the quickest and easiest way to gain loot.

"just my tuppence worth"

As long as anyone can kill another player with zero repercussions but with high rewards then murdering will remain the quickest and easiest way to gain loot.

This.

With less loot and more zombies that the op is suggesting, the repercussions to killing someone is you'll be entering into a firefight with chances of being injured(and possible either not having medical supplies due to less loot or using your last bandage, morphine, etc.), giving away your position if zombies around (more zombies, even in forest according to op), and might be wasting ammo to get little to no good loot off the guy.

I apologise if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read the entire thread. How about some sort of guilt/conscience system, where your character is negatively affected by merciless killing of innocent/unarmed people? Maybe there can be a system wherein for every unarmed person you kill you feel more guilty, and every unique person who you help (and does some sort of "thank" command on you) makes you feel less guilty. Feeling too guilty can lead to depression, which causes lack of motivation (slower movement speed), increased hunger, inability to concentrate (makes it more difficult to aim through a scoped rifle) and, if you get too depressed, suicidal tendencies. This seems like a potential solution to the merciless killing going on while not requiring extreme changes to the game. Thoughts/criticism?

As long as anyone can kill another player with zero repercussions

Does getting shot in the fucking face not qualify as a repercussion?

Does getting shot in the fucking face not qualify as a repercussion?

No, it doesn't. It could happen to anyone, not only PKers.

this kind of ridiculous level of difficulty will drive players away. no one will want to play a game that requires this much consequence. Some of the ideas are good, but you are looking at this through a very small window of ignorance. Video games are nothing without intrigue. You lose people when you over complicate situations. You hit the overkill button half way through your post. Good ideas but they are more novel than video game-centric.

So far the only counter-argument I've seen is "it will have the opposite effect, people will kill for scarce supplies". Well that might save you SHORT TERM, what if that one can of beans is gone the next time you go hungry and you need food? What if you don't see anyone else to murder? The logical idea would be to raid a town...which would have been easier with two people. Hell, for all you know that guy you killed could have just eaten and would have been willing to share his food, and you both could raid that town to get more food...too bad you can't raid that zombie infested town by yourself now

this kind of ridiculous level of difficulty will drive players away. no one will want to play a game that requires this much consequence. Some of the ideas are good' date=' but you are looking at this through a very small window of ignorance. Video games are nothing without intrigue. You lose people when you over complicate situations. You hit the overkill button half way through your post. Good ideas but they are more novel than video game-centric.

[/quote']

This wasn't supposed to become some mainstream mod, this is a HARDCORE SURVIVAL mod for ARMA, one of the most realistic games on the market. This type of game should never appeal to everyone, but with the growing fan base and hype, more types of people are gonna come in, and there is always gonna be that group of people that suggest that game is too hard as it is...which it isnt

• Like 1

I would still kill everyone but store loot on my alt account. If you make weapons scarce i would team up to kill everyone. All noobs would get killed easyer than now with no weapons around for them.

How can anyone think that bandits should marked or punished in any way beyond being killed themselves in turn by the victims buddies?

WHEN WAS the last time you saw a big sign saying KILLER over a person's head IRL ffs?

Realism moar, and if you're too afraid of being killed randomly by the mean people perhaps you would enjoy a more predictable and friendly game like Plants vs Zombies instead.

Otherwise, I'm really sorry I shot you and hurt your feewings. Give me a f**king break.

Raising the difficulty level of the infected isn't going to bring people together. The only way to bring players together is to put something in place were players have to depend on one another to survive.

Let me be honest I love the game it's very addicting. However as much as I love the game it's grown beyond it being a mod, which Dean "Rocket" Hall has admitted. The game needs to break away from being a mod and developed in to a game of it's own.

Thing I have come to learn about this game sense playing is that groups that do work together are the bandits, and they keep those groups small. Those who lone wolf it well they pretty much at mercy of the bandits. Those players that work together and are in fact bandits are usually made up of clans, guilds, or real life friends or all of the above. Not saying all groups are this way but it's pretty much the typical case.

Now when you spawn in the world you are left defenseless and thus leaves you untrustworthy of other players. I myself trust no one. I won't shot any one or go after any one but I avoid other players like the plague.

Getting resources in the game is easy once you understand what you're doing. However once you have resources there really is no need to group up with other players. So how do you go about fixing that.

The only solution that is to create resources that players can take that other players will want. If you want food you are going to need to find a cook, if you want to cook you're going to find a hunter, etc, etc. The idea is to have a skill system sort of unlock system were if you want to be a cook you can't be a soldier and carry an arsenal of weapons. The idea is to have you're gathers and you're defenders.

In short what this will do is pull players together and create small communities, maybe even large ones. These communities will work together to survive. Mean while those communities will ally themselves with other communities or even go to war with other communities.

Does this exclude the possibility of bandits, not at all. You will still have those players who rather kill and steal to get what they need and find it far more challenging.

Basically in short DayZ needs to be an MMO. I believe if developed right it can be done on a much grander scale. The world needs to be 100 times larger. It needs a lot more depth to it, such unlocks various ways of getting resources, etc, etc. However I think it can be done and done right.

Right now no matter how you roll the dice there is no way to really bring players together, unless you just make the zombies insanely more difficult. However that might actually do more harm then good.

That's just my opinion any way.

you're too afraid of being killed [...] you would enjoy Plants vs Zombies instead [...]

Otherwise' date=' I'm really sorry I shot you and hurt your feewings

[/quote']

Oh, another "You don't like full deathmatch cuz I'm so skilled you can't beat me go play Left 4 dead" post...

I don't think the game should be a lot harder, you should just get some bonuses from being with a group and the bigger the group the better. Maybe increase your chances for good loot like they do in Borderlands when your playing with many people. As of now I think there could be some more zombies wandering the forests etc, they seem to be all localized in cities and other main places. There's really no danger aside of bandits when running in forests, if there were more zombies in them teaming up would be more preferred.

Another thing that should be added, since this IS a zombie game. Is to introduce the fact that zombie bites infect you, and turn you into a zombie in say, 1-3 days. Making the infection visible after a whole day.

Since this is the basis of fear about zombies, which cannot be seen in this game.

1 bite and its over.

Another thing that should be added' date=' since this IS a zombie game. Is to introduce the fact that zombie bites infect you, and turn you into a zombie in say, 1-3 days. Making the infection visible after a whole day.

Since this is the basis of fear about zombies, which cannot be seen in this game.

1 bite and its over.

[/quote']

That would be nice if it was a different type of "zombie"...considering we're dealing with sprinters, that would be a bit too difficult for a 1-hit = you're dead.

For that, we'd need slow zombies

Another thing that should be added' date=' since this IS a zombie game. Is to introduce the fact that zombie bites infect you, and turn you into a zombie in say, 1-3 days. Making the infection visible after a whole day.

1 bite and its over.

[/quote']

That would be nice if it was a different type of "zombie"...considering we're dealing with sprinters, that would be a bit too difficult for a 1-hit = you're dead.

For that, we'd need slow zombies

Not necessarily slow zombies, the fact that zombies would bite you and infect you would change the game so much. The paranoia it would create, i mean the second you spot one lone zombie in the current game doesnt cause much concern, you could kill it and w/e if more spawn just run away. But with this new addition, the fact that zombies would bite would make everyone more paranoid to the smallest amount of zombies.

I guess to make things a little easier, zombies have to take you down to bite you. Or grab a hold of you, so if you are running zombies just punch you but dont infect you. This would require a bite animation though, as I wouldnt see a zombie punching you being able to infect you.

You my good sir, deserve an award. This needs to be seen, it's well written and though out.

My hat goes off to you, sir.

And just remember, quite a lot of these will probably become possible with arma3.

Just for everybody's information, I did update the OP with a list of proposed changes. This can go in the Suggestions forum now.